(A) Live Out of Your PSK for 24 Hours Student Practice

Discussion in 'BushClass USA' started by IA Woodsman, Sep 25, 2013.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Part 1- Complete the PSK Elective.
    I've posted my psk previously but made some changes for this specific outing. The 6x6x2 binocular case PSK that I have contains my priority items of a Sak Farmer, lighter and film canister fishing kit. I've also included zip lock bags, a heavy duty garbage bag, lighter, whistle, bug wipes, mylar blanket, glow sticks, fire steel, bandanna, tinfoil, cordage and flashlight.

psk 24 hours.jpg

Part 2- My plan is to enter a forest that both my wife and I are familiar with where I have a variety of resources that could be available. My wife knows the location of my planned camp and phone signal is strong. This would include access to cattails, a beaver pond that may hold fish, possible edible wild mushrooms, plenty of tea plants and who knows what else. My first priority will be making a natural debris shelter. After that is complete, if I haven’t already found some I’ll look for trashed containers to use primarily for water boiling.

I’ll leave and return around 5pm and make an effort to record the experience.

Part 3- Use that kit to stay in the woods for 24 hours.

Part 4- Do an after action review.

I'm back home after a very hot n buggy outing. I entered the woods about 5pm with the temps around 90F.

Shelter: I wanted to complete the debris shelter requirement as well so first priority was to pick the right location and I found a spot with lots of beaver chew and fallen logs and branches and used them to my advantage. I probably would next time camp much further from water as the no-see-ums gave me hundreds of bites that didn't really register until the next day (still itching!). I knew they were around as I heard constant buzzing in my ears that kept me awake at night but did not realize how badly they bit me. My take away about shelter is to carry a painters plastic cloth or something to make super fast shelter as it took the bulk of my time and energy to build a decent debris shelter that would shed some rain. I would also consider carrying mosquito spray (for full application beyond the wipes) and bug netting to sleep under or some kind of thin cloth fabric as a covering.

Water: Once my shelter was built I needed to focus on hydration and was lucky to find one glass bottle and a few plastic bottles. The water boiled fast in the glass bottle but sure takes a long time to cool down (when your thirsty) making for a slow process. I poured water from the glass to the plastic to get another bottle boiling but without letting it cool the water was given a very plastic taste even with pine needle flavoring. I'll be adding water tablets and an aqua pouch to the psk kit to be ready for a true scenario but really that taught me to have a metal container like a "clean canteen" with me when venturing out to make for easier means of acquiring safe water in quantity.

Fire: This was the easiest as I had a fire steel, sak farmer and also a lighter. I made a few curls from a dead dry branch and threw some sparks and was in business. I had plenty of scraps from the shelter building process and the forest floor was covered in sticks and grey birch chunks and an awesome stump of dry punky wood that would smolder well to hopefully keep the bugs off - but the wind direction blew the smoke away from the shelter and didn't help with the bugs. With the dry wood and warm night it was easy to continually toss a few pieces on the fire and keep it alive all night. I had a fire stick that allowed me to just reach out and move around pieces without fully getting up.

Food: I ate a few Indian cucumber roots, chewed on some sassafrass leaves for moisture, boiled a few dried black trumpet mushrooms and nibbled some cattail shoots. The autumn olive and elderberry seemed to be picked clean by birds. There were some toads and frogs around but I gave them a pass. If I truly needed food I would have gone frog grabbing/gigging at night and swam out past the muck into the beaver pond to leave a few baited fish hooks attached to plastic bottles but this wasn't "alone".

All in all the outing felt successful (minus the bug bites) and was a fun solo into the summer forest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. wa_medic

wa_medic Scout Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Part 1 and 2:

I've previously posted my PSK kit and went through it recently:

[​IMG]

Pretty basic set up. Mylar blanket and zip-lock bag on left. Some aluminum foil, snare wire, 100 pound test cord, ferro rod, Turley PSK, fishing line, button compass, sewing needles, safety pin, sinkers and small hooks, enough chlorine dioxide tabs for 1 gallon of H2O, and a band aid. This is stored in an altoids tin wrapped in duct tape and placed in the black stuff sack on the left.

I'll leave tomorrow A.M. for an area that my family knows about, my car will be close by with food and water in it, and if I've not made contact in 36 hours they will come looking for me.

I'm looking forward to a good time!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Forestree, Nakadnu, pab1 and 3 others like this.
  3. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    I found that the gallon bag is great for water collection/hauling

pab1, Sgt. Mac and wa_medic like this.
  4. wa_medic

Blog Posts:
    I'm back from the woods safely. More to follow.

-----------------------------------------------------

Part 3 and 4:

I went to a new location along a river and in the mountains a bit. On the trail at 8 am yesterday. No food or water before leaving, so last intake was about 10pm the night prior. I took my PSK, cell phone (for pictures as there is no cell coverage where I was at), sun hat, and the clothes on my back. In addition, I brought a wool jacket, hat, and gloves.

Along the way I found some still ripe thimbleberries. I ate as many as could find (about 6):

[​IMG]

There was a nice meadow along the river and the yampa was blooming, so I dug a few roots up to roast later:

[​IMG]

Yampa is in the parsley family and the flower heads look very much like water hemlock (compound umbels). However, the leaves are different. The sure way to tell is to dig up some roots. Yampa commonly has twin or even triple roots. Here is one root that shows the twin roots (I broke the ends digging this one):

[​IMG]

I came upon a good rock to make some discoid blades from. Using these helped keep my PSK knife sharp:

[​IMG]

Found a used soda can along the way. More yampa:

[​IMG]

Found a few harebells along the way and dug up the roots. They are stringy and almost not worth the work. One of the last minute changes I made was replacing the black stuff sack that I carry my PSK in with a bandana. I felt the bandana was offered more versatility. I also found some bone fragments that I took with me.

[​IMG]

Gallon zip-lock in use:

[​IMG]

I arrived at a shaded cedar grove and set up camp. First order was making the PSK knife useable:

[​IMG]

For shelter I made an all natural A-frame structure. The plan was to put the mylar blanket on the ceiling if needed. I had plenty of time, materials, and wanted to conserve resources too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having shelter and water, I turned my attention to fire prep. Using the PSK knife to scrape cedar bark into a fine nest:

[​IMG]

I used the bone I found to cut open the soda can so it was a more useable container:

[​IMG]

Cedar withes are strong and make great natural cordage. Hanging my water container while the purification tablets do their thing:

[​IMG]

I found a few Black Hawthorne berries to eat as well:

[​IMG]

Early evening was coming, so I started the fire. Used my PSK knife, fire steel, cedar bark scrapings, and a twig bundle to start the fire:

[​IMG]

Roasting yampa roots on a hot rock:

[​IMG]

Tea time. White pine and ponderosa pine needles, yarrow leaves, and hawthorn berries:

[​IMG]

I used some snare wire to hang the soda can:

[​IMG]

I made some crude tongs out of a sapling and reverse wrapped cedar inner bark:

[​IMG]

Dusk came fast. I managed to get one pauite deadfall trap put in place before dark. I used boiled hawthorn berries as bait.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  5. wa_medic

Blog Posts:
    Part 3 and 4 continued:

Pine pitch candle with twisted cedar cambium as wick:

[​IMG]

It dropped down to the mid-40s last night and the wind picked up. I went to bed with a hot rock, but was up 4 times to switch out rocks. I also used the mylar blanket to cover the inside of the shelter. This picture was taken at about 3 AM during a hot rock change out session:

[​IMG]

Morning tea:

[​IMG]

I headed back out around 8 am.

AAR:

Overall a good day. This was a valuable lesson and after having lived out of the PSK, I will make some changes. I would like to add 550 cord to the kit, as I made a bow drill set up, but my 100 test cord broke. I also would like to work on my bow drill skills with natural cordage. While the PSK knife does it's job, I think even a SAK would have been better. Possibly a slightly larger container for my PSK? The discoid blades and bone were useful.

I underestimated the value of containers. Finding the soda can made my life much easier.

Next time my shelter will be longer and lower to the ground. The hot rocks worked but it would have been nice to have more so I did't have to get up as often.

I didn't have time to fish, but I'm keeping the fishing line, sinkers, hooks, and safety pin in the kit.

I am open to any critiques and ideas for future outings. Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  6. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:
    Nicely done Buddy

wa_medic likes this.
  7. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I'm planning to head out tomorrow to complete this lesson. I'll be in an area I know well. I'll have phone coverage and my brother is my emergency contact. He knows where I'll be, when I plan to return and who to contact if he doesn't hear from me. I'll have a plan B kit containing a FAK, phone, headlamp and handgun.

I made some changes to my PSK for the winter months. I've removed the fishing kit and water filter. The stream in the area I'll be in is covered in ice. This time of year fishing would be a long shot. I would rather melt snow or boil water in aluminum foil than mess with a filter freezing or getting me wet if kept near my body. I also removed a ditty bag to create more room. In their place I've added a second space blanket, aluminum foil and a Gerber Bolt Action knife with the saw blade attachment. I think the saw blade will be useful for gathering bedding and allow me to preserve the edge of my knife. I also replaced the Ziplock bag since the old one was looking worn and likely to leak. Should post a trip/after action report on Thursday the 26th.

PSK Winter Kit Mod and One Lucky Bunny 004.JPG PSK Winter Kit Mod and One Lucky Bunny 010.JPG PSK Winter Kit Mod and One Lucky Bunny 013.JPG PSK Winter Kit Mod and One Lucky Bunny 020.JPG

Here is my plan B bag with its contents.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 013.JPG

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  8. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Just finished the Live out of you PSK for 24 Hours lesson. I got off to a later start than I wanted. The clock is ticking!
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 017.JPG

The first thing I did was cut a throwing stick. Its a low odds weapon for hunting but I've taken game with one before. If I saw a snowshoe hare at close range that didn't blow out I wanted to be ready. I used the Gerber Bolt Action to cut it. This is about as big a piece of wood as I would want to cut with it.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 021.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 024.JPG

I set out looking for a spot with wood I could process by hand and plenty of boughs for bedding. Without a pack I carried my coat and heavy mittens on a strap over my shoulder with my plan B bag on the opposite side.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 034.JPG

As I was looking for a spot to camp I saw this cut piece of wood sticking out from under the snow. I kicked it loose and found a few more pieces buried with it. This area was looking good and this find would help a lot with my wood collecting.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 036.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 039.JPG

As I started looking for wood I found where someone had tied a couple pieces of wood to a tree. From the wear on the rope it looked like this had been there a long time. I really doubt anyone uses it (whatever its supposed to be) and I could use the rope and wood.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 046.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 048.JPG

I found a good spot to set up camp. Across the creek there was a stand of lodgepole pine with a lot of small dead trees. I collected quite a bit and threw them over the creek across from my camp site.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 050.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 055.JPG

Continued...

9. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Not far from where I planned to set up camp I noticed a stump that had been pulled from the ground. This area had been logged years ago so I'm guessing that's when it was removed. As a bonus they left a cable attached to it. I figured even if I couldn't move the stump I could find a use for the cable.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 060.JPG

If the wood I gathered ran out in the night I thought the stump would be a good addition to the supply. The forecast called for 5 degrees Fahrenheit so I wanted to be sure I had plenty of wood to stay warm. I had to move it from where you see it in this pic to where I'm standing with the camera. The part that had been in contact with the ground was dried out which helped reduce the weight. It took some effort but I got it moved.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 069.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 072.JPG

I used the ferro rod from my PSK to light a fire. I wanted a small fire to cut the thicker pieces of wood I gathered.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 086.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 095.JPG

I split the smaller pieces using two trees growing close to each other.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 099.JPG

Here are some of the pieces I cut with a caveman chainsaw.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 107.JPG

Next I started working on my bed. I used two of the large pieces of wood I'd found under the snow for the sides. The support was made with some small pieces of lodgepole I gathered and some nearby willow. Then I gathered boughs for bedding.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 117.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 124.JPG

I took a break and checked by bearing using the compass from my PSK. My direction wasn't dead on but I wasn't off by much.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 130.JPG

Continued...

10. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Next I used the two space blankets from my PSK and thin lengths of lodgepole to make a lean to shelter. I had never used a space blanket like this before and was aggravated with how easily they tear. I used duct tape from my PSK to patch several tears and keep them from running. I used the yellow rope I'd found to attach the ridgepole to two trees. I also used the cable I'd found and more of the yellow rope between two trees next to the shelter. That way I could store some of the wood upright for easy access through the night.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 132.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 146.JPG

It was getting late and I still wanted to set some snares for snowshoe hares. It had snowed lightly on and off through the day but I could still see some good runs. Last time I set snares I tried to funnel the hare and support the snare with too many sticks. The hare approached the spot and went around it. This time I let the snares hang and only used a couple guide sticks. I only had enough wire for three sets.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 161.JPG

When I got back to camp it was dark and the fire had died. I pulled the Solitaire Mag Light from my PSK so I could see what I was doing lighting another fire. I used some paraffin saturated jute from my PSK and twigs I'd gathered earlier to get another fire started. Just as the fire was starting the flashlight died. I put a new battery in it the previous day and the base was screwed on tight so I figured the bulb went out. When I used to carry a Mini Mag flashlight I had to change the bulb in the dark several times. Mini Mags came with a spare bulb below the spring in the battery compartment. I didn't know if the Solitaire and kicked myself for not checking it before. I unscrewed the base and removed the spring and found it did have a spare bulb. I replaced it and the light was working again. I didn't need the light the rest of the trip but I felt better knowing it was working. Here's the light and the bulb.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 170.JPG

Next I formed a bowl to melt snow with the aluminum foil from my PSK. After working all afternoon and not having anything to drink the first drink of melted snow was very good!
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 175.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 183.JPG

Each time I had another pan full I would pour the water into a Ziplock bag from my PSK. Without thinking I set it a few feet from the fire and an ember hit it, putting a hole in the bag. That limits the amount of water I could put in the bag and makes it almost useless if I relied on it to carry water daily.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 191.JPG

After I had enough water I made some pine needle tea. It wasn't very strong but hopefully I got some vitamin C from it.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 200.JPG

Around 10PM I was ready to turn in. I spread the embers from the small fire and put logs down on them for a parallel/long fire. This kept me very warm all night and I actually had to push the logs farther from the shelter because it was too hot. The logs would burn out at pretty much exactly one hour all night. I would get some sleep, feel it getting colder and wake up, put more logs on and go back to sleep. Here is the view I enjoyed all night.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 254.JPG

Here I am comfortable in bed. My selfie stick is really a stick. Its main job is a fire poker.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 249.JPG

Continued...

11. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Other than having to get up every hour I slept pretty well. By 8AM I had used nearly all the wood I had gathered. I didn't need the stump but I wasn't far from it.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 255.JPG

The space blankets made it through the night but wound up with a large tear at the bottom of the shelter. I really prefer plastic sheeting for shelter. It may not reflect heat as well but its more durable. If it had been very windy or if there was a heavy snow the space blankets would not have held up. They are convenient, lightweight and compact which is nice for a PSK.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 266.JPG

I checked my snares but they were empty. There were fresh hare tracks in the area but not in the runs I set them in. I pulled the snares and when I got back to camp I took a minute to sharpen my knife with the steel from my PSK. I noticed it had some surface rust from exposure to moisture the previous day. It didn't take long to have it shaving sharp again.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 274.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 276.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 294.JPG

Since I didn't get a hare I figured I should try something else. I've always wanted to try the inner bark of pine but never wanted to scar a tree. I decided this outing would be a good reason to try it. I didn't want to make a meal out of it. I just wanted to taste it. It had a fairly strong flavor. I toasted a piece on a log in the fire and it tasted a lot better.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 306.JPG

Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 310.JPG

24 Hours had passed and I was ready to head out.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 342.JPG

I left a thermometer in my vehicle about a mile away so I'd have some idea what the temp was. The low was 14 degrees Fahrenheit which was quite a bit warmer than the forecast. The 51 degree high was from the heater in the vehicle the previous day.
    Live Out of PSK for 24 Hours 345.JPG

I learned a few things on this trip.

1. If I'm going to use space blankets, I need to either carry more duct tape to reinforce tie off points or only secure them at the corners with a pinecone/rock and a slipknot.

2. I should replace my light with an LED light so I don't have to worry about bulbs failing and have longer battery life also.

3. I need to carry more snare wire. The more sets the better chance of putting meat in the pot (or on a stick).

4. I need to be more careful with my water storage bag. If I was counting on it for a multi-day situation, its use would be very limited by the hole.

5. I would gather more wood next time. I barely had enough to last through the night (not counting the stump).

I'm sure I learned more from this trip but those are the things that come immediately to mind. I really enjoyed this trip. I've been wanting to carry less gear on outings but always wind up packing more than I need. Since this lesson requires you to only use what's in your PSK it helped me realize how little I need to get by with. I thought I'd feel drained going without food for 24 hours, especially with the energy burned gathering wood, but I really didn't notice it. Thanks for another great Bushclass lesson!

12. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:
    Congrats!! Very nicely done!!!

pab1 likes this.
  13. wa_medic

Blog Posts:
    Top Notch! Way to get it done in Winter!

pab1 and rsnurkle like this.
  14. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys! Great job on yours too Wa_Medic!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    rsnurkle and Sgt. Mac like this.
  15. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very well done @pab1 !

pab1 likes this.
  16. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Thank you!

NWPrimate likes this.
  17. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    and your wife said "ok, that sounds like fun" ?; :)

pab1, Peter M, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  18. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Not to rain on any parades but wasn't the requirement for PSKs limited to 6"X6"X3" with no full size knives? That's been the standard all participants have been held to so far.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  19. Peter M

Peter M Plant Nerd and Scatologist Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    haha yeah something like that!

I think your missing the real point of this exercise. I will leave it at that. But no i didnt read those requirements anywhere sorry. maybe @Sgt. Mac can clarify

20. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:

Per Terry's instruction:

The main goal is to have a kit that will help you meet your basic needs.

Water
    Shelter
    Fire
    Signaling
    Travel
    Sustenance

The PSK has to fit in a cargo pocket of a BDU and be in a kit form, not anything and every thing you can stuff in a BDU cargo pocket. In the spirit of the lesson the use of a small knife AKA PSK sized knife is what you should try to use, not long fixed blades.

colter, pab1, Peter M and 2 others like this.
  21. SamD

SamD Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a question what is the ruling on what you EDC outside of a PSK?
    I mean I personally wear a TOPS Shango (24/7/365) that has a whistle with a tinder quick in it and an Exotec nano both attached to the sheath, a custom J. Nielson Dart, Leatherman wave w/another whistle & nano set on my belt, Kershaw double cross pocket knife in my pocket, and the list goes on. I EDC a fair amount of gear that adds up to a fair PSK all on its own every time I leave the house. Do I get all of the stuff I EDC and my PSK or what?

22. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:
    You can worry about that after you have completed the Basic and Intermediate classes

Mac

pab1, atlastrekker and Peter M like this.
  23. SamD

SamD Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok, had not realized this was part of the Advanced section.

24. Peter M

Peter M Plant Nerd and Scatologist Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  25. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Ok, here we go.
    Part 1- Complete the PSK Elective. Done.

Part 2- Make a post in the Student Practice Thread for this lesson before you go out. In that post show that you have a plan, you have comms, have a back up plan, and have left instructions with a responsible party if you do not make contact with them at a set time.

My plan is to use the wood lands on the back half of my families section of land. My family all know where I am, when I will be back and what I am doing. I will have my cell phone with me, but turned off. I will also have my uhf/VHF ham radio with local frequencies available along with first aid kit as well on stand by. I can walk from the planned location to home in under an hour, if need be.

My kit contains,

Esee mess tin
    Signal mirror
    Whistle
    Bic lighter
    Coles fire starters
    Esbit fuel tab
    20' para cord
    Commando saw
    Pelican headlamp
    SOL emergency Bivy
    1 quart ziplock bag
    1 tea bag
    1 oatmeal packet
    10 feet stainless steel wire
    SAK Farmer

Attached Files:

26. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:
    Good luck

pab1, atlastrekker and rsnurkle like this.
  27. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    I made it home ok. Everything went as planned and there were no major issues to speak of. I ended up shooting more video than taking pictures, but until then I'll post the few that I did take.

Start
    DSCF0087.JPG
    Stop
    DSCF0168.JPG
    A picture of the kit.
    DSCF0086.JPG

The shelter that I built with all natural materials and no tools
    DSCF0116.JPG

Camp fire
    DSCF0142.JPG

My after action report is pretty simple. Everything worked as planned. The only let down was the SOL bivy. There was either moisture in my clothes or just condensation that formed while I was sleeping. After sleeping in it for about 4 hours I woke up wet. After stoking the fire and turning it inside out to dry by the heat for a half hour I managed to get another 4 hours of sleep or so until the same thing happened. In the future I think that I'll stick with the blanket and use it as a reflector.

I did manage to keep the fire going all night, I made a long fire that made it the 4 hours I slept easily.

Other than that, I practiced my morse code with the signal mirror and whistle, made some tea, made some oatmeal, and just pretty much day dreamed the time away.

I'll post up the video after I get it all edited and uploaded.

This class made me think more than any other class so far. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the great lesson.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  28. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    Here is the video, sorry that it's so long.

Forestree, pab1, Seacapt. and 2 others like this.
  29. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:
    Well done Buddy

30. OMRebel

OMRebel He who piddles Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Part 1- Complete the PSK Elective. Completed here at post 763.

I have changed it up a little. Here is a picture of what is going out with me followed up with a list and my reasoning:
    20171228_164405.jpg 20171228_165514.jpg
    1 gallon ziplock bag
    Aquatabs water purification tablets
    Lighter
    PJ Cotton balls in straws
    Ferro Rod
    2 feet of Duct Tape
    40' of Bank Line
    Emergency Poncho
    Mylar Blanket
    Trash Bag
    Leatherman Wave
    Survival Saw
    Coffee, Seasoning, Buillon Cube
    Snare Wire
    Straws with Peanut Butter for bait. (Straws painted)
    Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil (2 - 1'x1' sheets)
    First aid for minor cuts
    Button Compass
    LED light
    Whistle
    White Plastic Box to store smaller items
    Pouch to carry all items (Fits in BDU cargo pocket)

I went with a little extra cover than my original kit, adding a trash bag. The reason for this is because of colder weather and possible rain. Also, building the all natural shelter recently opened my eyes to the fact that a little plastic can save a ton of time and energy.

Next, I added a small LED light, because of practical and emotional reasons. I also added a "survival" saw, which should do alright if I don't abuse too much. I went back and forth on what to add or take away for quite a while now and so hopefully, these items will suffice for at least 24 hours, if not several days.

Part 2- Make a post in the Student Practice Thread for this lesson before you go out. In that post show that you have a plan, you have comms, have a back up plan, and have left instructions with a responsible party if you do not make contact with them at a set time.

My plan is to go out to the Kisatchie National Forest (just southeast of Fort Polk) early on 29 December. I will follow a creek bed to an approximate area to complete the class. I will have comms (phone service works in said location) with my wife and she will have the grid coordinates to my location, along with a map. I also have a friend who knows the area as well. I will call the wife when I begin and let her know when to start being concerned.

Part 3- Use that kit to stay in the woods for 24 hours. Arrived to the woods at 7:00 am and returned to my truck just over 24 hours later.

Part 4- Do a after action review in you post.
    Objective: Live out of my PSK for 24 hours. Accomplished.

Things to maintain.

1. Shelter. Was very insulated and kept me warm. It was kind of a hybrid shelter, utilizing natural debris and super-shelter design. If it would have rained, I am sure I would have been dry, though very uncomfortable. Keep a trash bag in the kit, it saves A LOT of time!
    2. Survival Saw. Get one. That and my Leatherman Wave complement each other very well.
    3. Water collection. This is the second time I have used a 1 gallon sealable bag. The first was a cheapy and it leaked. This time I used a ziplock freezer bag it was very solid. I did not go thirsty!
    4. Fire. Can't go wrong with Petroleum Jelly Cottonballs. Prep work was great and I had plenty of wood left over in the morning.
    5. Food supplements. Buillon and hot chocolate is not very filling, but it did add a boost to morale!
    Things to improve.
    1. Shelter. While it gets an overall "Thumbs-up!", I should have used a thicker ridge beam. The one I used worked, but it sagged in the front and I had to put a support pole in the middle that I had to work around while getting in and out. Also, I should have made it a little more roomier. Another thought is the time it took to construct. If I would be stranded later in the day I would probably need to go with something a lot more simple, as time would be better spent collecting fire wood.
    2. Fire. While the fire did well through the night, I should have put aside more of the twig and finger sized material for adding when I wake up (about a hundred times) to stoke up the fire. Also, I should have put another foot or two between the shelter and the fire.
    3. Food procurement. I need to learn how to fish with minimum gear. A poor little frog gave his life for no end...(sorry little fella). I didn't take the time to put out snares because it was getting late and I didn't want to forget where I put them. This is probably more of a day 2 or 3 concern anyway.
    4. Light. To make room in my kit, I decided to take away a head lamp I had put in there and go with a small LED light I picked up two days ago from Lowe's. It was really bright, until I needed last night. I should get one that is more reliable.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    gus1911, Forestree, mcdudr and 5 others like this.
  31. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Also, just realized this was my last outing for Bushclass Advanced. All that is left is 4 classes!!

Forestree, gus1911, pab1 and 3 others like this.
  32. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great video, OMRebel! The super shelter idea is a great one! I can see that maybe it's not going to be practical in most situations; if we take the 'lost explorer' scenario as typical then you probably don't realize you're gonna have to spend the night until the sun is already getting low. But if there's time that super shelter is probably the way to go!

Great PSK, too. I think you had a great array of things that were very useful. Not sure about the bouillon or cocoa, not a lot of food value but then again not a lot of space. And it probably is a big morale boost.

In a real survival situation I suppose I'd use cans, bottles, anything I could find. But in an exercise I'd almost consider it cheating. And I'd have to be in a tough spot to use them since it seems kind of gross!:26::p

As an aside, while trash can be good to scrounge it always bums me out to get as far off the grid as I can only to find a bunch of garbage there!:mad: Hard to find anywhere nowadays that people haven't used for a dump.

rsnurkle, Forestree, OMRebel and 2 others like this.
  33. atlastrekker

Blog Posts:
    @OMRebel did do a great job on that shelter!

A little motivation or morale booster goes a LONG WAY when things go south, having something nice for yourself is a really good idea.

34. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    You are right about being bummed out about the trash, that gets my goose quicker than anything. I guess it was kind of gross using a random can, but I ensured it was not nasty and I boiled it first. The buillon and hot chocolate didnt give much calorie value, but it did boost my morale a little.