A Matter of Headlamps

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by shoggoth80, Jun 8, 2019.

1. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey all,
    Looking for a recommendation. I have a couple ok little flashlights, and that's all fine and well. I want a headlamp.
    I'm looking at a budget of preferably $50 or under, but that's very fudgeable. Like I could double that if it was actually worth the added cost.

I know many are rechargeable, and that's got some merit. More so with solar usb, and battery packs. Though old fashioned batteries are also ok, and have a measure of ease in the field I imagine.

Looking at Black Diamond, Petzl, and Princeton.
    Particularly the Spot:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VV4DP6...colid=3OO4WIU1BRYN&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Storm:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06WWFW4YG/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Actik:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KYTTHK...colid=3OO4WIU1BRYN&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thoughts from the hive mind?

BradGad likes this.
  2. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The BD Storm is a good light. I don't have the current version, but from what I can tell, they just keep getting better.

BradGad likes this.
  3. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    BradGad likes this.
  4. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have the Black Diamond Spot. It works fine but the interface is complex and fiddly. I haven’t used other headlamps and so don’t have a base for comparison, but not thrilled with the battery life. But probably better to rely on published specs than me for that.

My bottom line: There is nothing really wrong with it, but neither can I think of a good reason to recommend it... So I don’t.

(Black Diamond carbon/cork trekking poles on the other hand... ooo lá lá! Creme de la creme!)

5. CreativeRealms

CreativeRealms Tracker

Blog Posts:
  6. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Actik is a great lamp, I've had a Tikka for years. If they crap out, I will replace them both wit Petzl's again.

7. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I realize that they aren't name brand, but we've been using these for quite a while now from Walmart for night fishing, herping, camping, etc. and they are inexpensive and reliable and, for the price, you can keep one stocked darned near everywhere.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-Vision-HD-LED-Headlamp/47327204

And I personally like them because they are NOT rechargable. I like to be able to throw new batteries in when needed.

JerseyDevilJeeper likes this.
  8. Geneh

Geneh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    80F3E2E4-B758-4FF7-BA9D-7F3DE1A0A619.jpeg On the EDC high use hardware store variety, my wife uses this all the time. No PWM issues, night pictures are good, not too bluish, light, simple on/off. She uses them constantly, and has gone through different headlamps.

JerseyDevilJeeper likes this.
  9. JerseyDevilJeeper

JerseyDevilJeeper Professional Guide Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That fox comes highly recommended. I’d like to know it’s lifespan as far as how many recharged until you no longer get 100-near 100% light?
    That’s my concern w non-swap recharges...
    -My worry is that the one trip, overnight or incident I really need it, it’ll die early. At the moment, I always pack a fresh set of batts for just that

One review stated:
    However, it does come in at a solid 4 stars after nearly 1,300 reviews, so....

I’d like to see a compare thread on batt vs recharges. Also, I prefer the single strap vs the Electric Chair Bowl... especially cause I wear hoods.

Sorry for the ramble... I believe we’ll both do best to listen to the guys here who share impressions - thanks to Creative & Brad & Using, etc :dblthumb:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  10. Cueball77

Cueball77 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Have had mine for three years without any problems. for the money you can't go wrong ,plus it runs great on a AA eneloop rechargeable or a 14500 li-ion olight rechargeable at twice the lumens. Good choice Brommeland.:dblthumb::42::44: Plus don't you just get a kick out of the firefly mode , just .05 lumens by clicking the switch one long push :14:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    JerseyDevilJeeper and Geneh like this.
  11. JerseyDevilJeeper

Blog Posts:
    Hey man; I own 3 different strengths of those plus keep a set hangin in the cellar way for everything from blown fuses/breakers to trimming my dog’s nails. Used em on a week long leg of the Batona trail and they were stellar. It’s just that there’s better to be had now and I’m likely gonna go the barrel type. I just got my 1st O-LightS and love it

12. Geneh

Geneh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You have a little bit of a decision tree for buying a headlamp: Do you use it laying down, in which case the battery pack in back won’t work for you. If you want the longest run time then you need that larger battery pack behind your head.

I recommend a light that is a little bit warmer, not over 4K because cool tinted lights flatten the contrast of greenery significantly.

Next decide whether you need spot for distance, or flood for arm’s-length or so. Or both. Built-in diffusers that cover the lens or swing out of the way have worked well for me.

Yardwork and walking the dogs I like a couple hundred lumens, when I’m in camp sitting around at night are use very little lumens, like maybe 50 or less.

Remember that doubling the lumens does not double your visual brightness, though it will be significantly brighter. So going from 100 to 125 lm would not be a consideration for me. Going from 100 to 200 lm would be just enough to tip a decision.

13. JerseyDevilJeeper

Blog Posts:
    I just picked up a set of
    Leki Super Makalu Cor-Tec AS Trekking Poles
    For $3.99 from GoodWill Industry :18:

BradGad likes this.
  14. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    OMG... you dog you!

I bet you just used up all your thrift store karma for the decade... better get out hiking!

15. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've used the Coast brand before. I do not like them. It sucks the juice right out of the batteries/ goes dim too fast. The battery housing breaks super easy. Was not impressed, at all.

16. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've run Spots for the last 6-7 years; they've gone through a a couple of revisions- always made better- brighter, more waterproof, etc w/ each revision

I trail run frequently at night and elk hunting I'm going in in the dark and generally coming out in the dark, so have lots of hours (and hours) each year with a headlamp on- haven't changed headlamps yet (have updated them to the newer ones however)

They're reasonably priced and pretty light too. I always use lithium batteries in them- lighter, last longer and operate in the cold better (but they cost more)

shoggoth80 likes this.
  17. TrailbreakerOutdoors

TrailbreakerOutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Take a look at the Army Tek Wizard Pro, I think I got mine for less than 100. I work in Lapland and it is DARK. Somtimes if you have a group you need to just completely illuminate the woods and this has been amazing. A really tough as nails light. Most of the guides I know up North use these.

18. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Petzl was super popular a few years ago. I recently saw an olight that was pretty attractive feature wise and I like their stuff. I have no experience with their headlamp though nor do I currently have use for one. If I did I'd probably get a Petzl or try the new olight.

19. Lars

Lars Angry German

Blog Posts: