A practical, packable Single Action revolver.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Mackay Sagebrush, Feb 25, 2017.

1. YetiJack

YetiJack Tracker

Blog Posts:
    rugers.jpg I got into Cowboy Action competition shooting several years ago. The Ruger Vaquero is very popular amongst that group. We like to match our pistol caliber to our rifle caliber so we can use the same ammo for both. I have a Marlin Cowboy lever action in 357/38sp.
    I bought these two Vaqueros in 357/38sp. We shoot approximately 100 rounds pistol, 100 rounds rifle and 50 rounds shotgun in one shoot so price becomes an immediate challenge. 45 Colt is very expensive to buy in cowboy loads or to reload yourself at that volume so 38spl became the most popular caliber as reloading components are cheaper. Something to consider if you shoot a lot.

You can't beat the Ruger Vaquero. It's a great pistol.

akbound, savage99nc and alukban like this.
  2. fatcat55

fatcat55 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm seriously considering getting back into centerfire single actions. I had a BH in .357 about 40 years ago and sold it. Have had a Super Single Six for over 40 years- first handgun- and will never part with it.

Pawn shop has a new Cimarron .357 with 3.5 inch barrel at $440 but he can order me a new Ruger BH .357/9mm convertible for around $560. I know Rugers are great but I am attracted to the Cimarron. I just have no experience with the Italian imports.

What is your experience with the Ubertis and Piettas imported by Cimarron? How about accuracy of the tradtional SAA fixed sights in these imports?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

alukban likes this.
  3. YetiJack

YetiJack Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have an Uberti SA .45 Colt. The quality is very good overall and it shoots straight. I really wish I had gone with a .357 though. It has the look and feel of an old west Colt peacemaker. So if historical accuracy is a criteria it will fit the bill.
    If I had to choose between an Uberti SA or a Ruger Vaquero or BH for a heavily used shooter I would go with Ruger all day long. They are better constructed, use a coil hammer spring system that will outlast a flat spring, has a better saftey and you don't have to half cock it to rotate the cylinder to load it. So it just depends on what you are going for "Old West" or "Functional". Uberti makes some great looking pistols but Ruger makes guns that will take a beating and if it does break Ruger will fix it for you.

Uberti.jpg

4. fatcat55

fatcat55 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the feedback and the comparison of the two guns. I know the Ruger is quite sturdy and wondered how the Cimarron imports compared. Also have no knowledge about the Cimarron/Uberti/Pietta warranty. I did not know about coil vs flat spring .

Like the "romantic" aspect of the SSA clone but also appreciate rugged reliability and the transfer bar system as well.

I've never been disappointed by a Ruger yet there is still something about a 3 1/2 inch Colt SA and the four distinct clicks when you pull that hammer back.

Thanks again.

YetiJack and alukban like this.
  5. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg The 3"-3 1/2" guns are certainly packable but they come with one flaw: getting full extraction from the short extractor rod can be a problem.
    For that reason, I prefer a 4" -4 5/8" packing gun. A little more length in the sight plane and full extraction of cases...

Regards,

ezra

6. fatcat55

fatcat55 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Another valid point worth consideration. Novelty says 3 1/2 inch Cimarron but practicality screams Ruger. Thanks.

7. 6gun

6gun Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a 3" Uberti Sheriff's model without the ejector. A brass Rod is in a leather holder on the holster for ejection. It's carried often for defense in a shoulder holster but I don't plan on reloading, that's what the 4-5/8" on the hip is for. :)

"Fastest reload is a second gun" Jim Cirillo

8. ezra45

Blog Posts:
    Took my Packing gun out today and shot about 50 rds through each cylinder...minute of 8x8" steel plate at 35 yds, offhand. I don't typically use a handgun past that distance. For 100yds or more, I use an appropriate long gun...I would waste ammo otherwise...:eek:

Regards,

ezra
    Edit: BTW, with these two factory loads, there is a 13 click difference between the .45 Colt 250 gr. lead and the .230 gr ball in elevation. The ACP shoots considerably lower but both were consistent in windage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    savage99nc and alukban like this.
  9. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    You mean you don't like to "load test" short range weapons at 100 yards!? :D

ezra45 likes this.
  10. ezra45

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha! Shite; I can't see that far!!!

Regards,

ezra

rockett88s and Birdman like this.
  11. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been fortunate enough to own and shoot "a few" single actions, and agree that ounce for ounce, the Ruger .45 convertible Blackhawk is the most flexible, powerful, heavy duty handgun available for the money. With the 4 5/8 inch barrel and alloy grip frame, it's far lighter in hand, and especially on the belt, as MontanaMarine mentioned, than the steel framed guns, and between the two calibers, can be loaded for everything from gallery to plinking to personal defense to hunting, long range, and predator defense, changing only the sight settings.

Mine - breathed on by Bowen - is a keeper and does about 99.9% of what I need in an outdoorsy handgun, and the .1% remaining is on me due to my own laziness.

[​IMG]

savage99nc, Cwlongshot and alukban like this.