A rat chewed wires off my tractor

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by JohnP, Jun 13, 2019 at 7:17 PM.

1. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I’m not sure where to put this, guess this will do. A rat has chewed wires off of my Mahindra 3616 tractor again. Last year I had to replace the dash instrument panel wiring harness and splice the ignition switch wires. This year the ignition wires are okay, the tractor will run, but the instrument wiring harness will have to be replaced again and there is also damage to the main harness. The instrument harness is $100, not a big deal, but the main harness is $880, which is a very big deal. The tractor is branded Mahindra, but was made in Japan by Mitsubishi and parts can be pricey. The damaged part of the main harness is a cluster of about 10 wires that split off and go the headlight/hazard lights/turn signal switch. They are chewed off too close to slice them.
    17CB9F7D-9B90-4DEE-9F87-92F63FF11270.jpeg

To complicate things, wire colors are not consistent across a plug connection. A red wire going into a plug may be a blue wire coming out of a plug. That makes it kinda hard to simply cut the plug and splice the wires, but that is exactly what I’m thinking of doing unless someone has a better suggestion. If I do that, I will make myself a diagram of what color was spliced into which color for future reference. And take lots of pictures.
    10CD7D29-6F7C-40F0-9FA8-3B4D2D148690.jpeg P

532CD162-D1DA-457A-8815-5AE9B1C8EBBA.jpeg

I’m looking for suggestions. I guess I could try wiring in my own plug. Does anyone have a better solution that cutting the plug?

JohnP

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 10:44 AM
  2. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Get a pin remover..little tool you push around the pin and it releases it from the connector. You can then solder a new pin onto the wire and reinsert into the connector. Looks like you may have to splice a few of those shorter ones...solder and heatshrink works great for a permanent solution.

3. Togus

Togus Echo of the Loon Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don’t have answers, but it reminds me of two goats my parents had that, despite being well fed chewed and ate everything in sight; grass, weeds, tree bark, tree, fence, shingles, and the wire harness for my rear lights on my truck. Pulled em out and chewed em up.

4. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    To possibly prevent the little bastards from messing up your rig again, try mothballs. Packrats up here like to eat wiring and parts off engines and I have had good luck with a pan or can of mothballs under the hood and on the ground under the rig.

Hope you can get this fixed quickly.

5. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  6. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Grey Owl Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pin puller and redo all the pins on the connector. It’s pretty easy. If it were me, I’d cut them all the same length, crimp / solder new pins on the end of each wire, then push the pins out one at a time, inserting the new pins in the right holes, color for color. The pins and pin puller are probably available at your local auto parts store.

7. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Of all the mammals, rodents cause the most grief. Good luck, it's a constant battle.

8. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Rodents ate some wiring off of my wife's van. Cost was $1000 in repairs. I do not know if its true or not but the repair tech said the material around the conductor of the wiring is made from soy bean material that attracts the varmints.

Years back on a survey crew above timberline (11000 feet) we had an old jeep. We showed up for work one Monday morning and seen where a marmot chewed the side off one of the tires. I bet that was one surprised marmot when that tire blew.

'drif

9. jcs271

jcs271 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Every time you park a vehicle up here for more than a day you need to be sure the hood is up and it's out in the open. Pack rats will chew your engine wiring up in the blink of an eye. I have three cats and have not had any issues in several years!

10. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everyone. I never heard of a pin puller, didn’t know such a thing existed. That should do the trick. I almost just cut the connector off and sliced the wires together. Sure glad I didn’t. I really appreciate the help. Hopefully this won’t be too difficult. Gonna get some moth balls, too.

JohnP

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 9:30 PM
  11. carpenter

carpenter AXE MOB Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've heard that peppermint oil will repell rats.

12. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    I tried peppermint oil and still had damage to both my riding mower and tractor. Maybe I didn’t apply it often enough. I’m gonna use both peppermint oil and moth balls. Maybe they’ll double up and do the trick.

JohnP

13. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Guide

Blog Posts:
    ....once it started its investigation, it learned that Toyota and some other vehicle manufacturers started using a soy-based product as an insulation for wiring under the hood about a decade ago, probably in an effort to make vehicles more green and to get rid of older-style, petroleum-based wiring insulation.
    He said he has heard that in the past, rats periodically chewed through wires in vehicles for nesting materials and to sharpen their teeth. But, he said, "we think the addition of soy in the insulation has taken the episode of rats chewing through the wires through the roof."

freebirdfb, kronin323, fixits and 2 others like this.
  14. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Beat me to it, and it works great. joe

freebirdfb, fixits and JohnP like this.
  15. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have you seen the Rat? I ask because around here that would be the work of squirrels. Either way it’s time for a couple barn cats.

16. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I saw the nasty thing. I do have a lot of squirrels, but most of them nest as high as they can get in the trees. My neighbors have a multitude of cats that roam over here. I frequently have paw prints on my tractor hood and I still have rats. And I have possums. I think they eat rats, too.

JohnP

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 9:57 PM
    freebirdfb, central joe and fixits like this.
  17. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I found a field mouse living large in the air cleaner box on my Camry. He had a nice tissue paper nest surrounded by dog food nuggets. Unfortunately, he made a hasty escape and avoided the fate I had planned for the little blighter! It was winter in CT and he obviously found a warm place to live in and it was easier to get to than Florida.

18. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've had similar issues with pack rats around here with my Mahindra 3510 and the wife's mazda tribute.
    we discovered the expensive way that the Napa brand soy insulation is a delicacy -- those wires lasted less then 5 hours.......

I've had good luck with moth balls, balsam fir, and barn cats -- the biggest help was when I stopped parking the tractor in the garage.

19. actiondiver

actiondiver Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Lots of people have this problem that is exasperated by soy based wire insulation that is eco friendly “green”.

Not sure if Mahidra’s stuff uses this wiring or not.

Good luck on the fix. I had a large snake up in mine when I crawled under to remove a stick, it left its shed.

20. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
  21. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    never heard the bit about soybean products

kinda makes some sense

i've been having good luck shaving IRISH SPRING bar soap in sensitive areas to keep the little buggers away

1066vik, freebirdfb, JohnP and 3 others like this.
  22. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    get ahold of the phone help at mouser.com (an electronic firm, not rodent control), and shoot them that picture. They should be able to set you up with the right pin tool and crimp pins.

freebirdfb, JohnP and central joe like this.
  23. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bastids. Get out the tannerite. :mad:

freebirdfb, JohnP, WY_Not and 2 others like this.
  24. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    adopt stray cats number one........................

25. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    number two paper clips work to remove terminals from plugs

26. Craig Brown

Craig Brown Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Had a tractor out of commission for a month as we tracked down and fixed various rodent chews. We have a leaf blower and open everything up and blow all debris, dust, grass off after each use (primarily brush hog )before we park inside the pole barn. If you can keep the nesting material away it helps with the mice especially. And we keep the rat poison freshened up on a regular basis.

freebirdfb, JohnP, WY_Not and 2 others like this.
  27. Ithica

Ithica Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had the same issue on my Honda Fit auto last Fall. I was in Michigan for three months and the vehicle was parked under a condo carport. Mice or packrats climbed the tires and chewed the engine and transmission harness on top of the transaxle. Cost me $600 in tow and harness repair. They also got into the fresh air ducts for the cabin air system and filled it with Mesquite beans and of course turds and piss. Fortunately, the system had a cabin filter so they could not get into the car interior. I am considering leaving the hood raised this Summer. I noticed that some dispersed camping RVers place solar powered garden lights under their hoods at night to discourage packrats. You can bet there will be several trays of poison pellets under the hood this Summer.

freebirdfb, rustystove2017 and JohnP like this.
  28. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    That might make it easier. I’ll give them a try. Thanks.

Mine is also primarily a brush hog tractor and is parked outside under a pole roof. No poisons, though, I have lots of other animals I don’t want to kill.

5D4080E9-347D-4287-A97E-FABDDFDDC053.jpeg

JohnP

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 7:56 AM
    freebirdfb likes this.
  29. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a small obsession with mouse traps. I get excited when I have "skins" to collect checking the line. Lately they are a little smarter than me.
    The only thing the spinning peanut butter bottle over a bucket of water got me was the neighbors black lab. She cleans the peanut butter up very well.

freebirdfb, gargoyle and JohnP like this.
  30. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    Possums cleaned it off when I tried it. I turned an old wheelbarrow upside down, put a 2 inch wedge of wood under one side to hold it up, and put a rat rap inside it. Possums, coons, and dogs can’t get to it, but rats and mice can. I haven’t caught a single rat, but I’ve probably caught three dozen mice.

JohnP

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 10:15 AM
    freebirdfb and Tangotag like this.
  31. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    I had to go to Houston this morning so I stopped at a couple auto parts stores on the way home. They looked at me like I was wearing purple lipstick when I showed them my connector and ask for pins and a pin removal tool. When I got home I emailed ‘tech help’ at mouser.com along with several detailed photos. I know amazon has the removal tool, but I have no idea how to order the correct pins. I hope these guys can help. Cross your fingers for me.

JohnP

freebirdfb likes this.
  32. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Seriously, I hate cats with a passion as general pets go or my neighbors cats. I have had cats when I lived in the country, they had one job and that was it. Lived outside since it was a kitten, rarely had to feed it, plenty of water and the occasional "good cat". He was never hungry and never got into anything he wasn't supposed to. Mouse, vole, rabbit, squirrel, and occasional bird slayer.
    Cats only have one use.

freebirdfb and JohnP like this.
  33. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hate meeses to pieces!

freebirdfb and JohnP like this.
  34. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
  35. Oni

Oni Guide

Blog Posts:
    This guys channel has LOTS of traps. Maybe try a few of the homemade ones to git the critters before they do more damage.

This one was one of the coolest.

That and a nice pellet gun!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 4:58 PM
    gargoyle and JohnP like this.
  36. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    freebirdfb likes this.
  37. L0NER

L0NER -Gone Exploring- Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have had three forest fires burn right up to my property lines in the last 11 years one fire burned all the way around us and left us looking like a island in a sea of black. Well guess where the rats ended up.

I’ve been fighting them for awhile but took it very seriously after we bought a 2019 Subaru. It has had the complete wiring harness changed twice and three of the brake sensor wires replaced other times. The dang rats around here were out of control and I had to do something about it.

Things that didn’t work-moth balls, used cat litter under the car, Irish spring soap, drier sheets (they use them in their nest) peanut butter with concrete in it, electric noise gimmicks, peppermint oil, pepper juice sprayed under the hood.

Things that did work- traps, but a rat will jump as soon as they grab the bait so the traps have to go under something to stop them from jumping or most traps will just be sprung when you check them. Check out you tube on that one..
    I keep track one month here, 12 rat traps, 108 rats.
    Bucket traps with water in the bottom tryed different types avaged 3 rats a week per bucket.
    Me sitting out side at night with my high end pellet rifle. 7 in one night is my record.
    3 wild stray cats, this worked!!!! The first few weeks the yard was covered in gut piles and skins every morning. The cats have ended the rat problem here for now. I buy them cat food now they have earned it.

No more chewed anything no more rat crap in all the out buildings life is good!

gargoyle, Oni, JohnP and 1 other person like this.
  38. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Jean, L0NER, Oni and 2 others like this.
  39. Ithica

Ithica Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a suggestion on repairing the harness. I think you will have a hard time matching the brand, system and part number of the connector and pins. You might want to consider purchasing a 10 circuit terminal block. Terminate each of the wires with ring terminals and land them on the terminal block in the proper sequence to complete the circuits. Blue Seas Systems P/N 2410 is a 10 circuit block. They are $15 on Amazon. This was a common harness connection style on mining haul trucks. Mounting vertically is best to avoid moisture collection issues.
    upload_2019-6-14_17-1-44.png

LMT66, 1066vik, JohnP and 1 other person like this.
  40. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    That looks like a very good Plan B.

Thank for posting.

JohnP

41. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wil, JohnP and 1066vik like this.
  42. Wil

Wil Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It cost me a bunch of money to repair the wiring in a horse trailer, two Yamaha Grizzly's, a Yamaha Rhino and a Ford pick-up truck. I now let the stray barn cats enjoy their new home. Lay moth balls out , rat poison, and coat the wires with grease or spray with WD-40. That's what I do now. Oh, I almost forgot, we just had my wife's Chevy pick-up in the shop because of the mice smell trough out the cab . The little !@$~@$ made nests where you couldn't get at them. Couldn't even turn the air or heat on without gagging. It cost almost $200 when all said and done which was money tossed away cause it didn't help.

JohnP likes this.
  43. Wil

Wil Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't think all rats are. I used to sit across the way, hidden by the barn , and pop off rats all day long with my air rifle as they found their way to my chicken coop to eat eggs. I never did get them all either so ended up moving the chicken coop and filling all the rat holes with poison.

JohnP likes this.