A Serious Question

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by squishware, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hardly ever meet a knife that I don't like, blade length is not a factor.:cool:

2. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    "a large one for breaking, a small one for making"

[​IMG]
    haven't measured it-but i'm assuming it's 6" blade or thereabouts. love it-it covers what i'd otherwise use a hawk or hatchet for

[​IMG]
    in addition, i like a machete or knife around 10" for a lot of my yard work. love that length for trimming plants, pruning trees and bushes. i actually keep the 2nd from the bottom in the van for any thing i might need, while third up is my favorite in the yard, especially trimming along a fence and such.

Medicine maker likes this.
  3. Derzis

Derzis Scout

Blog Posts:
    The longer the blade, more options to use are available. Psychologically, a longer blade brings more confidence too - a factor we like to let it slip under the carpet. I have no limits in blade size, but there are some social constraints that will temper the “need” for a 10” blade.

4. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    They have a place, I guess, but not in my arsenal. Overall, I like shorter blades.

In an ideal setting, I have a SAK, a folding saw, a hatchet, a small drop point skinner (sub-4"), a bow saw, and an ax, in about that order of likelihood based on what I carry on most trips, and how I add tools based on transportation.

Absent those, I would be happy with a 4-5" blade that could help split larger pieces of wood, though I live in an area where that's a good skill to know, but scarcely necessary. Should I fall into the woods with nothing but that large knife, I would like it.

My "ideal" sheath knife depends on what I'm doing. For hunting deer, a 2.75" convex drop point skinner like my Fallkniven WM1 is ideal. For "I don't know what's going to happen, so I better be prepared", I like my F1 (3.8"), another convex drop point skinner. For squirrel hunting, I liked a longer blade that allowed dual use as a machete (LA squirrels live in some THICK stuff!) and leg chopper-offer, like a Condor Nessmuk or AS Guide. The Nessmuk is convex, the Guide is scandi. Both work great. The Guide worked better as a machete than the Nessmuk.

5. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I guess if one has short fingers, small hands...:cool:,a long blade is a bit of compensation...:D

ezra