(A) Student practice make an article of clothing

Discussion in 'BushClass USA' started by Sgt. Mac, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Carpe Arcus

Carpe Arcus Scout Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Made me 2 pair of moccasins for myself and then had to make a pair for the wife and the kiddos.Also made a pair of leggings.

The side fold moccasins,these are actually easier to make than I thought they would be.By the time I got them all finished I actually
    enjoy making them now,almost became addicted!LOL

The patterns
    [​IMG]

My first pair,a little crooked on the toes.
    [​IMG]

Second pair are much better.imho
    [​IMG]

Sewing detail.I used a whip stitch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leggings,I didn't use a pattern on these just kinda freehand,they are just a tapering tube.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Action photo,don't laugh to hard.You can see my sons legging and moc as well as my daughters that I made.
    [​IMG]

Sgt. Mac and warrior 77 like this.
  2. warrior 77

warrior 77 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I am very interested in learning how to make clothes from deerskin and I'm just starting to learn the process.

3. Peter M

Peter M Plant Nerd and Scatologist Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I wish i had enough wool to make a nice jacket, but we found a wool shirt and wool sweater vest from the goodwills and i made mitten liners. and i made a beanie, and the beanie turned out really nice! and i enjoyed wearing it alot today!

I also found where they were digging out a little stream, tons and tons of natural clay! it is awesome. so i will be making some traditional PB140328.JPG PB140329.JPG PB140330.JPG PB150332.JPG PB150333.JPG PB150335.JPG PB150336.JPG PB150337.JPG PB150339.JPG PB150340.JPG clay items here soon!

rsnurkle and Sgt. Mac like this.
  4. Welch1321

Welch1321 Nights in the wild this year: 8 Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Decided to make a pair of light glove for around camp and under my leather work gloves. Used an old workout base lay that shrunk after years of use. Always liked the shirt because it's super warm for how thin it is.

Attached Files:

rsnurkle, IA Woodsman and Sgt. Mac like this.
  5. woodsmanjohn

woodsmanjohn Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I finished this Anorack the other day but this is the first I have had a chance to try it out . I added a chess pocket as well as two hand warmers pockets. The hood I made large with a neck gator. I used it today when I was out looking for materials for a few project as well as a sapling I'm going to use for the HOKO knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I know, it's not very original, but I did the same thing has half the other people. The thing is, these things are expensive if you buy them made already! I ended up using a McCall's anorak pattern, Harbor Freight wool blanket, sail needles and sail twine. It turned out a little big, but I think if I do some careful drying it will be just right.
    DSCF1482anorak.jpg DSCF1484anorak.jpg DSCF1487anorak.jpg DSCF1491anorak.jpg DSCF1495anorak.jpg DSCF1498anorak.jpg DSCF1506anorak.jpg DSCF1509anorak.jpg DSCF1510anorak.jpg DSCF1511anorak.jpg

Thanks for an awesome lesson, @Sgt. Mac !

bEaMann, rsnurkle and Sgt. Mac like this.
  7. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Ice fishing today with a few members, pretty cold for NJ in the high teens during the day and snowing. I crocheted both the hat and the cowl (tubular scarf) The hat is 80/20 acrylic and wool and the cowl is 100% merino wool. They both worked very well and of course are stylish! LOL

[​IMG]IMG_3202 by Chris Scrivens, on Flickr

Porkeater, bEaMann, rsnurkle and 3 others like this.
  8. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I'm walking on already trodden ground here, however when I saw @Longbeard 's blanket socks, I realized those might be a way to help me keep my feet warm in the winter. So, I hand sewed up the sides of two coated nylon rectangles, whose width was sized to fit over my feet comfortably.
    [​IMG]

I've played around with grocery bags, bread bags, and saran wrap to create vapor barriers for my feet, with solid success for dayhikes. These materials all have durability issues, however, so the coated nylon will be far more reusable, even if it lets out a little moisture over time due to the sewn seams (which I haven't decided whether to seal or not). People put VBs in a variety of places, but I typically wear the "vapor barrier" next to my skin, under my socks, so that it helps keep my socks dry, which makes it super easy to rewarm my feet by increasing my circulation.
    [​IMG]
    If I went without the vapor barrier, about halfway into a day of exploring, my socks would be damp enough that it would be hard to use my body's own circulation to warm my feet back up, and I would need to change into dry socks.

To test these, I took them on a backpacking overnighter, with below-freezing lows, and enough uphill and downhill movement to test how much moisture got through the nylon socks into my wool socks.
    [​IMG]

These worked very nicely for being a quick piece of improvised clothing: my wool socks were dry enough (after a day of hiking around and hauling materials) that I felt comfortable removing the nylon socks and then wearing the wool socks to bed. I put the nylon socks inside out over the tops of my boots. In the morning, I knocked off the accumulated frost, put the nylon socks back on next to my skin, and went right back to wandering the woods in them.
    [​IMG]

9. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hi there folks, for my garment, I made a coat from an old army blanket.

The whole story is recorded here: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/red-yetis-wool-blanket-coat-wip.219176/

coat 1.jpg

I hand sewed the whole thing even though my wife thought I was crazy.
    coat 9.jpg

coat 11.jpg

coat button3.jpg

here's the finished item
    coat complete1.jpg

and modeled in the field by an itinerant laborer looking for work...

coat done.jpg

I really like the result and will use it while hanging out around the campfire.

The whole story is recorded here: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/red-yetis-wool-blanket-coat-wip.219176/

Thanks for looking!

:38:

10. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    Really well done, amazing work!

11. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    Unreal... love it! How did the sleeping bag perform and how big was it when packed? That would be a great project.

12. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I made a anorak a while back out of a wool blanket, so now I will make a hopefully improved one!! This will be a WIP so I'll edit as I go.

1. Collect materials
    IMG_20180907_173715.jpg
    I cut out my materials when I wasn't feeling well and didn't take pictures. But I started to sew it together today on my lunch break. IMG_20180918_125818.jpg then finished putting the pieces together when I got home. IMG_20180918_183320.jpg now for all the fun stuff! Pockets! IMG_20181005_195041.jpg added a face mask and grommets with 550 cord pull cord. I also added a lard front pocket that's the size of the front of the anorak. 15387843963521146559829.jpg
    Added a glove pocket on the back 15389559809101864673308.jpg its at an angle so you can get to it easier with my right hand. Kinda like an angle back pocket.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    rsnurkle likes this.