A week or so in the ADK

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Youcantreadinthedark, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Chaotic Neutral Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Or:
    The story of a sizeable blister, a heart-rending loss, and how Youcantreadinthedark hatched a plan to immolate every mosquito in the Northeast.

So I beat my head against several figurative walls trying to figure out camping and logistics to complete the last hundred miles or so of the James River. It was difficult. Also it was mid-July, and very humid, so I figured for the same amount of time and effort I could just drive to New York and kick it in the ADK for a while.

[​IMG]

I flew by the seat of my pants, stopping in Saranac Lake one Friday afternoon, hitting an outfitter for some advice and a map, and was on the water an hour or so later. No, check that, I was carrying a canoe down to the water on the first of many portages an hour or so later. It was late in the day so I just tucked into Slang lake, on a nice big rocky campsite for the night.

My first two days were pretty full, I (in lieu of having a picture of the map I used) portaged back out of Slang into Long, then up north through a series of carries and paddles to Bessie (or Nellie, maybe?), through another two ponds to Fish Pond, where I stopped and had lunch at a really great little lean-to on the north bank. Then I got bored, and pushed on through Muddy Pond into Ochre, and then through to St Regis, where I scored a lean-to for the night.
    [​IMG]
    Then I was up in the morning carrying to Upper Clear Pond, across Route 30, down into the woods to set the boat in the top of Hatchery Brook, which debouched into (after some trial and tribulation) Upper Saranac Lake. This was pure suckage. It was super windy, big chop, big water, motorboats all over the place, no fun. I stopped at a site on Green Island after a dicey crossing for a break, where some jackass had failed to extinguish his fire and left beer cans all over the place. Ah well. I put the fire out and continued on, cruising up Fish Creek Bay (more motors) and then north into Follensby Clear Pond, where I again lucked out and scored the lean-to halfway up the lake.

[​IMG]

Lean-to on the third night, halfway up Follensby Clear Pond.
    [​IMG]

The next morning I was up and on the water by six, so I jumped over to Horseshoe, to Little Polliwog, to Polliwog, to Middle, to Floodwood, and back to my truck by eight-thirty or so.

[​IMG]

Having had stretched out some, I took a few days to relax. I went up through Long, Slang and Turtle, and portaged up to clamshell pond from Turtle, where I spent two nights. (Whoever left all those fishhooks on the ground up there is a jackass, probably a different jackass than the Green Island jackass.)

Sick of scenery and canoes, yet?
    [​IMG]

The lily-choked feeder leading up into Follensby Clear (I think):
    [​IMG]

Best blister I've had in years, constantly soaked and re-opened and abraded some more.
    [​IMG]
    (I mean, if you take a picture of it, it's a pretty good blister.)

Sliding through the stormwrack and little channels of Hatchery Creek:

And, sing a song for the departed, boys.
    [​IMG]
    @NWPrimate gifted me this a few years ago, during a blizzard of mutually-beneficial tea-and-coffee exchanges on the fourm, and it has been a constant companion both indoors and out. It finally bit the dust on this trip. But - a huge shoutout to the man, and may he have many happy returns for a really nice gesture. If anyone's looking for coffee in the woods, this is your gear, right here. Best I've ever used.

Gear and boat and paddle was all exactly the same as I took down the James, but I finished Sophie's Choice (Styron) and switched to Ulysses (Joyce).

I spent another few days, camped out here and there, going into town for good meals, and then I ended up taking a freestyle class all weekend at the Adirondack Canoe Symposium, which coincided with the Wooden Canoe Heritage Somethingorother, which was also pretty slick. A good time was had by all.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  2. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Fully vaccinated Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ha! Man what a coincidence as I was just reliving memories of the Floodwood area in another thread and then you post this! That’s a great area. I know that lean-to on Follensby Clear Pond as well. Have scoped it out in the past but we didn’t end up staying as this islands are always picked clean of wood and we are too lazy to ferry it back and forth from the mainland.

Great pics and love the canoe. I think I took those same pics from my own canoe lol.

3. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Way to make some memories. Hell of a blister, too! My condolences on the Aeropress, Those are worth their weight, at home or in the bush.

rsnurkle, buckfynn, Yohawk and 6 others like this.
  4. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice trip, thanks for taking us along!

5. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I may never tire of a good view from a canoe. :cool:

Love the look of that real still water.

6. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    nice trip!
    Thanks for sharing!

7. pellegrino

pellegrino Much to learn... Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing the trip with us.

8. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wonderful trip report. Thanks for taking us. Getting me excited for a couple of days paddling with @Luchtaine and some other New Yorkers in early September.

A heads up for your next trip @Youcantreadinthedark, setting up a tent in an Adirondack lean-to on state land is a big no-no.

Lean-To Use
    • Tents are not allowed inside lean-tos and must be at least 150 feet from the lean-to.
    • Lean-tos are available on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved.
    • It is proper etiquette to share your tent site for one night if a second camper or group of campers arrives after dark, especially when it is raining, cold or windy. In the morning, the second group should pack up and leave to look for another location.
    • Lean-tos should be shared by multiple parties until filled to capacity (normally 8 people). These situations are rare, but can happen in heavily used areas, such as the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness.

rsnurkle, buckfynn, Yohawk and 2 others like this.
  9. Youcantreadinthedark

Blog Posts:
    THEY'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE

Ah well. I'll know better next time, thank you.

rsnurkle, buckfynn, x39 and 8 others like this.
  10. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great TR, nice looking canoe and blister too!

11. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb:

rsnurkle, buckfynn, Yohawk and 2 others like this.
  12. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    MORE HARDCORE CANOE TRIPPING!

Nessmuk would be proud! That was quite the momentous slog and paddle and I appreciate your fortitude to tackle and succeed in that quest! Thanks for sharing another leg of your epic canoe adventures with us!

rsnurkle, buckfynn, Yohawk and 3 others like this.
  13. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    Great TR... thanks... but how have i missed it all this time that you have a skin on frame canoe... more info please?

rsnurkle, buckfynn, Yohawk and 4 others like this.
  14. Grouse Hunter

Grouse Hunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very cool trip, great pics. Thanks for taking us along.

15. roadend

roadend Wandering Where I Can Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Amazing trip. Thanks for posting and taking us along. The Daks are a cool place and would love to get back there sometime.

16. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cool trip!

Thanks for sharing!

17. Yohawk

Yohawk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great pics!!! I’ve spent many a night at that lean-to on Follensby. Always an enjoyable paddle to get there. Hoping to make a trip up in October....figure to base camp on Floodwood and branch out from there. Than’s for taking us along.

18. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
  19. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hangin' with the criminal element here.....

[​IMG]

20. Youcantreadinthedark

Blog Posts:

[​IMG]

21. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Awesome!

They sell individual replacement parts for the Aero Press. You can have it back in action for a few bucks.

22. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just a heads-up...regarding pitching a tent in a lean-to, the rational against it is if you have a tent, you already have shelter. For that reason, the shelter (AKA: lean-to) should be left open for other people who may come by and need a place to stay. This is the explanation given to me years ago by one of the Forest Rangers I knew.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper