AA Forge Custom Knives buyer beware

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by GoDawgs!, Jan 11, 2018 at 6:32 PM.

1. GoDawgs!

GoDawgs! Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I ordered a custom knife from AA Forge last April. Adam was very friendly and helpful, that’s where it ended.

He said my knife would be finished between the third week of May and the third week of June, via his Facebook page. I still haven’t received the knife.

I brought this up on his Facebook page and was immediately banned from it. No, I wasn’t very tactful with what I said, but at that point I was angry and didn’t care. He won’t give me a refund, but did offer to sell the knife when it was finished and give me that money. I would have jumped on t, except I already ordered a custom sheath for the knife and don’t want to be stuck with it.

I’ve emailed him and contacted him over Facebook several times. He didn’t respond to all my emails. He insisted he answered all of them. I showed him what he didn’t respond to and he had no reply to that. Everytime I ask what’s going on I get the same excuses. Delay in the heat treat(that excuse was used twice, months apart), shortage in the steel supply, the blade show, child births, you name it and it’s been used as an excuse.

I saw another person that has been waiting over a year comment on his Facebook page. That guys comments were also deleted pretty quickly.

I voiced my concerns with him over messenger this morning, again no response. I know he saw it because messenger has a feature that tells you when people look at your message.

Overall this has been a terrible experience. I’ve had $300 floating out there with this guy for almost 9 months now to do a job I was told would take 3 months at the most. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no excuse for crapping on paying customers like this. I’ve heard from many that he does great work and it’s worth the wait, but I never thought the wait would be this long with next to no communication on why. Wish I would have went with adventure sworn.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018 at 7:16 PM
    Kona9, Nonc-Tobe and seasonofthewoods like this.
  2. GoDawgs!

GoDawgs! Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just got back to me. They came back from heat treat but he hasn’t been able to do much with the holidays. Mine “will be done soon”.

3. EvanStinson

EvanStinson Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    FYI He made and sold half a dozen knives over the holidays. On his Instagram account he is making and posting knives for sale twice a week.

4. Berner9

Berner9 Adventure Often! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Seems to be pumping them out very quickly lately. Even reopened the books after he closed them recently. Seems odd.

5. Landrunner33

Landrunner33 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the same boat. I placed my order in April of 2017 with a 3 month wait. Still no knife. I wouldn't be as upset if he wasn't making 3-4 buy it now knives a week when he's behind 8 months on paid for orders. I guess I'll continue waiting...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018 at 7:23 PM
  6. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don’t think this is the first time I have heard these complaints on this forum unfortunately.

7. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    What is it with so many knife makers?

It seems like a bunch of them flake out after gaining a bit of popularity!

This kind of story is exactly why I will NEVER prepay for a custom again! I had a bit of a similar experience once.....never again!

Broke, bowitis, Badey and 11 others like this.
  8. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I wouldn’t be as tolerant. I’m curious as to the written agreement that you signed that would permit such delay. If there isn’t an agreement, then no excuse.

central joe likes this.
  9. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods

Blog Posts:
    Wow thats disappointing. Hope it all works out

central joe and Nonc-Tobe like this.
  10. Wasp

Wasp Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like his stuff, really want an Ironwood scaled model eventually.

seasonofthewoods and central joe like this.
  11. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bummer. I just saw that AA Forge is a local (to me) knife maker. I like buying local, but given the apparently poor customer service...hmmm.

seasonofthewoods and central joe like this.
  12. Sinjin

Sinjin Firebrand Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have an aa forge woodsman, it’s a beautiful knife, and it’s crazy sharp. But the spine rolls pretty easy when used with a Ferro rod. I have had the knife for about a month now and have had to sharpen the spine twice. I don’t know if it was a different heat treat method, or if it’s the steel. It passed the file test though. Very weird. Point is, GO WITH ADVENTURE SWORN. I wish I did.

central joe likes this.
  13. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What's the knife in question? I have an AA without a sheath, could possibly work out a deal if you decide to go with a refund.

Mr. Tettnanger and central joe like this.
  14. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That’s terrible. Especially since they are such good looking knives.

With him holding off on custom orders(pre paid) but making and selling in stock knives. I’d say they are probably taking the money from custom order and using it to buy materials for in stock knives to stay afloat.

File a report with your CC company(assuming you paid with CC)

15. Gman1051

Gman1051 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Only custom maker i do business with is Swamp Fox Knives. Mostly, I buy what Tim shows on his site.
    I did one special order using my own particulars, right down to sheath.
    He knocked it out in short order.
    Great maker to deal with. Tim Ridge of Swamp Fox Knives, Crossville, TN.

Mtnfolk Mike likes this.
  16. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    He is a one man shop so it’s easy to get behind and things like blade show and having a child will set things back. I have a custom on order as well. I contacted him about 5 months after the order and he said he had a delay with getting 52100 steel from his supplier. Which is backed up by other reports and his own posts on blade forums and his site. I have had decent communication but no solid dates on when I’ll get my order. I do know a friend of mine that order around me knows his knives are back from heat treat so that’s a good sign. I am going on 8 months waiting for mine but have a few in the mail that I got from his weekly sales so that should hold me over. He makes really great knives but he needs to work on communication which he has admitted and is trying to work on.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 9:56 PM
    mainewoods likes this.