Acadia National Park

Discussion in 'Maine' started by UAHiker, Mar 27, 2018.

1. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @mainewoods , @Seacapt. , @x39 and all you other local people from maine

my family and i are heading to acadia the 2nd to last week of september for a week long vacation. i'm planning on getting out for a night or 2 by myself. i'm looking for suggestions of where to go. i'm good with hiking, fishing, ect... i don't even mind driving a bit if needed.

later on i might hit you up for hiking suggestions as well or if you want to spout those off now as well i'm good with that :)

thanks!!!

2. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You won't have to drive outside of the park itself for the 120+ miles of different trails and at least 8 different mountains to climb plus salt water fishing and several fresh water ponds/lakes within the park to fish. Sept. is an excellent month for cooler WX no bugs and most of the crowd is gone before it fills with the leaf peepers again in October. For something different at the park drive over to Bass Harbor about 3 mi. and take a walk on round trip on the Maine State Ferry to Swan's Is. or Frenchboro on Long Is. it's scenic and offers a panoramic view from seaward of all the mountains on and surrounding Mt. Desert. Check the Park's web site for distance/difficulty rating of it's different trails and mountain climbs, there's something for all age levels.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    mainewoods, x39, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  3. dirt7

dirt7 Guide

Blog Posts:
    How intense of a hike do you want? If you don't mind heights check out the Beehive Trail.

mainewoods and x39 like this.
  4. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    pack or no pack? kids or no kids :)

x39 likes this.
  5. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @UAHiker , to start with, this is a great reference for the Maine hiker.. https://www.mainetrailfinder.com/ I think every trail in Acadia is described there. If you're looking for more of a wilderness experience, I would recommend the Maine Public Reserved Lands located east of Ellsworth on Rt.182. There are some nice lakes and streams for fishing, and hiking trails throughout. One of my favorites there.... https://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trails/trail/donnell-pond-public-reserved-land-caribou-loop At that time of the year if you go on a weekday you would very likely not even run into anyone. Also, further to the east is the Cutler Bold Coast Trail, a very nice hike with primitive campsites overlooking the Bay of Fundy. Again, if you go during the week you may have it all to yourself... https://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trails/trail/cutler-coast-public-reserved-land.
    Near Acadia, there are a few other interesting places. One of my favorites is the Hulls Cove Tool Barn, which is a mile or two from the park entrance. They sell used tools and often have old axes, knives, etc. It's a really nice place to visit... http://www.jonesport-wood.com/hullscove.html. Downtown Bar Harbor is home to Jekyll and Hyde on Main St. which has a pretty impressive selection of knives. Also check out the Abbe Museum which focuses on local Native American history. Fell free to PM me with any specific questions. Hope this helps.

mainewoods, UAHiker and Seacapt. like this.
  6. wrath0r

wrath0r Guide

Blog Posts:
    The summit of Cadillac Mountain is the first place in the country to see the sunrise. I would recommend catching it if you can.

x39, mainewoods and UAHiker like this.
  7. dirt7

dirt7 Guide

Blog Posts:
    A small pack is fine, but you will climb up iron rungs anchored into the rock face on this trail. If the kids are older they could do it, I would say early teens would be able to handle it. I have heard shorter people can find it challenging. The Precipice trail is also very similar, but longer and a bit more intense.

UAHiker and x39 like this.
  8. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @UAHiker pm me when you are coming , will meet up. @x39 mention some great places and so did @Seacapt. I would also recommend them has well. Acadia a must see Area. In my neck of the woods about a hour drive or so many areas to check out and north of me tons of areas of forest.

UAHiker and x39 like this.
  9. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    most definitely! i'll check everything out and let you know if i have any more questions :)

thanks for the tip!

thanks, my kids are 4 and 2 so that's out for them but i'm sure i'll be able to do it. this vacation is a little different. it's going to be me, my wife our kids, my in-laws (sister, father, mother) and my wife's best friend with her daughter..... so there will be plenty of opportunity to do a little of everything with kids and with out. this is also a perfect way for me to escape with out worrying about my wife having to deal with our crazy boys in a not familiar location for an extended period of time :)

i will do that! thanks!

x39, mainewoods and wrath0r like this.
  10. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    here's the proposed list of trails to hike/places to see:
    jordan pond
    parkman mnt and balk peak
    acadia mnt

for the adults only: probably only 1 or 2 of the 3
    sargent mnt loop
    beehive
    precipice trail

we are also planning on trying to catch the sunrise as well

arriving the 15th sept in the afternoon/early evening and leaving the 22nd.

x39 likes this.