Adventure Sworn Explorer vs. Mountaineer?

Discussion in 'Adventure Sworn Bushcraft Co.' started by WalkingStick, Oct 24, 2016.

1. WalkingStick

WalkingStick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looking for a bit of advice on the difference between the Adventure Sworn Explorer and Mountaineer models.

Wanted to jump on a custom knife quite a few times when they were offered but didn't have the capital on hand. I actually had an order placed a couple years ago and cancelled it the day after ordering it..

Looking back, I regret my decision. At this point, it is what it is, eh?

I am now interested in purchasing a field grade knife. My thoughts behind this are that they are labeled as "work horses" and I am looking for functionality, durability and quality in a knife (at a cheaper price than the old custom options/current available knives).

I put my query in this specific forum as they are the only knife maker I am interested in at this time. I am from just north of their shop and would like to support a local business.

I plan on using it for normal wood processing, occasional field dressing of game, and some woodworking when I don't want to carry an additional whittling knife.

If anyone can provide some differences in use/functionality/benefits of the two models it would be greatly appreciated.

If Cody wants to interject with the next field grade knife they are offering I don't think anyone would complain!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Explorer

The Private likes this.
  3. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
  4. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Fully vaccinated Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm no expert (at anything). That said, I've owned both models and still have a mountaineer. The mountaineer has a more defined point/tip. I imagine it'd make for a better option for finer whittling and wood processing. But the more rounded profile of the explorer toward the tip might make a better field dressing and skinning knife though I never used mine for such. You'd be well served by either one. I actually liked the blade profile of the explorer better but sold mine because the one I had had a thinner handle than I prefer.

Cody makes a great blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Private likes this.
  5. WalkingStick

WalkingStick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @seasonofthewoods Although I would love to have both, I can't afford more than one at this time.

@Mr. Tettnanger Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

@HeadyBrew Love the feedback from someone who has used/owned both. Thank you. Be well, brother.

HeadyBrew and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  6. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My explorer never got used,,,,,it was sold....I have and use several woodsman knives....just like the handle better......no help on the mountaineer I have not handled one

7. lorsbach

lorsbach Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I own both. For straight bushcraft work and wood work I prefer the blade shape of the mountaineer. But since you stated field dressing, I would highly suggest the Explorer model. You will want the belly and tip profile of the Explorer model.

I own 3 models of AS

Mountaineer is for straight camping/bushcraft work.

Explorer is for camping/bushcraft/hunting. Where I need a knife that does it all, including field dressing game.

Huntsman for strictly field dressing/butchering but with the capability of doing camping/bushcraft work if the need arises. The main difference between Explorer and Huntsman is the handle shape. The blade profiles are different as well. Huntsman has more drop in the tip and even more belly than the Explorer.

There is overlap between the models but they excel at different things. If I could only own one AS it would be an Explorer without a doubt. While the other 2 I have may excel at certain tasks, the Explorer does everything well.

colter and HeadyBrew like this.
  8. WalkingStick

WalkingStick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @lorsbach Really great info. Thank you for the insight :35:

9. Beard Man

Beard Man Scout

Blog Posts:
    Explorer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  10. Boreal Boy

Boreal Boy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Explorer for the reasons lorsbach mentioned.

I would recommend NOT going with a thick blade! 1/8 is the max I would suggest. I have owned and used an Alan Wood Woodlore for many years and have also owned and used a 5/32 and 1/8 AS Classic and got the chance to use a 1/8 explorer. I really like the 1/8 Classic, it was had a slightly smaller profile handle and liked it better than the 5/32 classic and 5/32 woodlore. it is just much more comfortable, nimble and effective then the thicker blade. I didn't get much chance to use the explorer in 1/8 but could tell it was an excellent and comfortable knife. In my opinion, you just don't need a thick knife! 1/8 is still plenty tuff and can do the hard use jobs you need it to do and better at normal knife stuff. Get a knife, not a splitting wedge.

BradGad likes this.
  11. Gabriel Sanchez

Gabriel Sanchez Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Alrighty old topic I know, but better to bring it back than creating yeat another for the same purpose...

Now just reading this and the rest of my research point me to the one i want for my first AS is an Explorer, and most likely convex, but would like to know what u guys think f which ginding is the best... It has been mentioned that the best "do it all" is the explorer, this always come at a cost.. you can do it all but excell at none...
    so for such a knife shape, i've always said a best doitall grind is the convex... what u guys would say about that?
    cheers

Gabe

12. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was able to get a Classic (the “Mountaineer Lite”?) through trade and I just love it, but I think if I were making a considered decision to get an AS knife, not based on what came my way, I would go with the Explorer in 1/8th inch.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Gabriel Sanchez likes this.
  13. mauiarcher

mauiarcher Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    With The zero convex Cody uses, you are giving up/compromising very little. It is my opinion but I consider this a fact. Test for yourself in wood vs. A scandi. AS offers some serious scandi-like bite. For everything else, convex is better...better slicer, easier to maintain edge (although scandi is arguably easier to "sharpen"), stronger, etc.

Explorer is my choice for AS all arounder as well. Great blade shape.

14. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    829B3E84-7CDC-45D1-A4D6-C1297D39615B.jpeg I’ve got nothing but good things to say about my mountaineer. I don’t think you can go wrong honestly.