Advice Needed For Unusual Circumstances Staying Dry and Warm

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by T. Pollock, Sep 17, 2015.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's really neat, thanks for the links Joe!

2. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    i know where i WOULD'NT want that probe to go ... :)

TX-1948, T. Pollock and riverjoe like this.
  3. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    LOL Soon as I posted that I said to myself
    UhOh .

TX-1948, T. Pollock and Paul Foreman like this.
  4. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    :eek: I had the same thought. :4:

TX-1948 and Paul Foreman like this.
  5. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I would be cautious about any heated/electric bit of apparel. An average person would notice if a wire was broke or shorted or if the thermostat failed and the heat didn't kick off. Even so, neurologically typical folks have been burned badly by electric blankets. If you were unconscious during a narcoleptic episode presumably being burned still wouldn't wake you; if so the results could be very bad. Best of luck to you, hopefully you'll get a good system worked out. And with luck maybe you'll find a bushbuddy or two to camp with!

TX-1948 and T. Pollock like this.
  6. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Excellent point, thank you!
    At first the electronic route seemed a very interesting prospect. The more I thought about it though it felt like that would be taking the very soul out of bushcrafting. I'm not sure what the answer is for my situation or if there even is one but I'll keep searching.

I have some things planned to try at this meet that will hopefully at least make it somewhat less risky.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @T. Pollock
    I did not read every post so forgive me if this has been mentioned.
    Have you ever tried vapor barriers?
    Robert S. Wood talks about them in his book the 2 oz backpacker.
    Even when cold, the body tries to keep your skin moist.
    That can mean that even if cold, the body may still sweat to try to maintain skin moisture.
    If this wets your insulating layers it can cause you to be cold.
    Winter this can be a big problem, as the air is very dry and the body will sweat to counteract this.
    The vapor barrier maintains the moisture next to your skin but keeps it from soaking your clothes.
    May or may not work but may be worth a try.
    Good luck

8. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bud! I don't think anyone has mentioned a vapor barrier but I'll sure look into it. Is this a clothing system, like a one piece suit?

When I was a kid we sometimes wore bread bags over our socks while playing out in the snow.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  9. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    yup

TX-1948, T. Pollock and rsnurkle like this.
  10. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I did some research but have to be honest, I didn't really understand all of it. The ole' noodle doesn't work like it use to before I fried it with electricity. :dblthumb:

TX-1948 and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  11. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The same thought occurred to me . You might still consider the temp sensor tho .
    We used to rig similar thermostats to warn neighbors if a house got too cold when the owners were in Florida .( we’d just turn on a lamp
    In the window )
    You could use two ,one for over heat one for under heat .
    Take some trial and error on your part to
    see where your limits were and where to insert ,
    Oops ,I mean place the probes .
    No doubt in this day and age you could alert someone’s smart phone even .

TX-1948 and T. Pollock like this.
  12. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Modern technology is amazing that's for sure!
    Yeah I do like the idea of a low temp alarm. I've actually got a device I might be able to make work for that purpose.
    Probe placement still has me worried though. :dblthumb:
    I appreciate the help and advice Joe!

TX-1948 and riverjoe like this.
  13. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have your Dr's checked your thyroid? it can cause some of the symptoms you describe. it should show up in a blood test. I didn't have circulation issues, but always sweat easy and steam in the cold. After being diagnosed for thyroid issues, my fingers and toes get colder then they used too.
    for clothing, you should try wearing a cotton longsleeve under a wool layer if you cant tolerate the synthetic wicking under armor type shirts. if you can get polypro long underwear sets, they are amazing at wicking moisture away from your body, even if you get dunked in water. You can also use silk layers, they cost more, but they are great. You may have to consider a complete change of clothing after exertion rather then just adding layers so keep up the fire and shelter prep.

T. Pollock and TX-1948 like this.
  14. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I would think they have but I'm not 100% sure. I've had so many kinds of tests done it's crazy. :3: It's still possible however that they didn't do that one.

I do wear wicking layers but not UA brand, that has helped considerably. I haven't tried polypro however.
    I always put on a fresh set of clothes before climbing into my sleeping bag to make sure I'm dry.

15. icemanx722

icemanx722 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Some sage advice in this thread. Good stuff!

T. Pollock likes this.
  16. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Well the meetup is over and it gave me a chance to try some new things, some worked well, others were a serious mistake that could have made my last meetup to host... my last of anything!

I tried a Mr Heater Big Buddy heater in my tent to warm it "before going to sleep and when getting up". Having narcolepsy I did not run it while I was asleep and don't know that I would recommend that anyone do so. It worked amazingly well! When I turned in the first night it was 33* outside and in less than 5 minutes the heater (running on low) had warmed the tent to a very toasty 73*. It's super nice to be able to crawl into a warm sleeping bag and to be able to change clothing in a warm tent rather than in the freezing cold!

My mistakes.
    That first night it got down to 26* and that's a wet 26* being right on the river. The fly for my tent attaches to the lower part of the tent and when the fly is pulled out it also pulls the sides of the tent out giving more room inside. #1 Mistake. Thinking it would stay warmer in the tent I didn't attach the fly to the tent on the side I was sleeping on, my thought was stopping the airflow on that side. #2 Mistake I used a cot in the tent and because of the height of the cot I had to slide it right up to the tent wall to keep it far enough away from the heater.
    Because the fly was laying on the tent I had massive amounts of condensation on the wall where it didn't pull out the fly. My cot and sleeping bag were both right up against that wall and after I fell asleep my boggin, my shirt and my sleeping bag got sopping wet from the condensation. I new I was freezing but because of the narcolepsy I couldn't get conscious enough to do anything about it until morning. I laid there wet shivering and froze all night and am very lucky I didn't go into hypothermia! Thankfully I woke (early for me) at around 6:00 and had the heater to re-warm myself until I could get dressed.
    Cold is one thing... wet cold is a whole other ball game!

Some of you may find this hard to believe but I promise you it is the truth. In spite of my top half being wet and me shivering cold , I guess due to my temp regulation problems my bottom half was hot in the dry bottom half of the mss in so much that my pants got sopping wet from sweat. I know that sounds totally bizarre and crazy but I assure you it's the truth.
    To say this was discouraging and actually depressing is a big understatement. I corrected my mistakes, dried my equipment out and did ok the rest of the 4 day meet. It really hit home to me though just how truly dangerous my situation is with me going unconscious while out during cold weather.

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  17. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Well, you learned in a pretty controlled, safe environment! That's a plus. And it sounds like you learned a few things.

I can't believe I've resisted the advice this long but here it is- check out Wiggy's!:D Their stuff is pretty remarkable. A bit bulky but amazing. Short of a medical cure, it will be the next best thing. They're known for their sleeping bags but they make boots, boot liners, jackets, slippers, hats, mittens, etc. They use Lamalite, a continuous filament insulation that's pretty remarkable. No lie, you can wash your Wiggy's bag, pull it out the washer after just spinning the water out, climb in it still wet and you will be warm.:eek: I realize it will sound like BS but it's true. I've went to bed in my Wiggy's bag in totally wet clothes and woke up dry, that's the way their stuff works.

They make some really interesting stuff, too. For example they sell a pair of "leg jackets" that are basically insulated chaps. They're quick and easy to don and doff, handy for times when it's cold in the morning but warm in the afternoon. They also make a knee warmer designed for someone that had cold knees due to a knee replacement surgery.

Head over to their web site when you have a chance, really great stuff. I have maybe six Wiggy's bags, a pair of their boots, some booties, and a sleeping pad (which is epic, btw!). Great stuff.

T. Pollock likes this.
  18. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I still wear the bags, but either next to skin or over just a thin pair of liner socks. Doing this keeps my insulating wool socks dry, and keeps the wool liners in my Mukluks dry as well.

T. Pollock likes this.
  19. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the tip bud, I've heard lots of good things about Wiggy's but don't own any of it yet.

Yeah that would be much better, It was foolish back then to wear them on the outside of my socks... I've learned a lot since then. :dblthumb:

Scotchmon and Midwest.Bushlore like this.