Advice needed - Messenger bag that holds 32oz nalgene

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by SAK_Survival, Jun 6, 2018.

1. SAK_Survival

SAK_Survival Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hello All,

This post is not bushcraft related, but since this is the only forum that I am really active on, I thought that I would try to ask my question here.

I am looking for a messenger bag that will fit a 32oz nalgene bottle on each end. This bag will replace my current EDC setup consisting of my laptop backpack and my coleman cooler. I normally just use the cooler to hold 2 to 3 nalgene bottles.

I have looked at the 5.11 tactical rush delivery lima, but the reviews say that it won't fit the 32oz bottle.

I have also looked at the Maxpedition Operator Tactical Attache messenger bag.

I'm looking for opinions on either model, if anyone has any experience with either pack. I am also open to suggestions on other messenger bags, but requirements are that they need to hold 32oz bottles on the ends, and can fit standard A2 (8.5"x11") paperwork. A 15.5 inch laptop sleeve is nice, but not required.

Thanks,
    SAK

blind & lost and longhunter like this.
  2. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    all i can suggest is: take two empty nalgene bottles to the best outfitters store you can visit, and try 'em out. it would be worth the drive, in my opinion. and consider a photographer's bag, designed for telephoto lenses and laptop. it'll cost you a trip, too, to find the exact fit. BUT, get on the B&H photo/video website first and eyeball the bags that are out there ...

3. longhunter

longhunter Northman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

Look at a Finnish gas mask bag it may fill your requirements.

blind & lost, SAK_Survival and cek like this.
  4. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have you looked at Maxpedtion's Mongo Versipack?

While it only has one external water bottle pocket, it has room to store a second bottle inboard. You can always swap them when one gets empty. The Mongo also has a lot of other features including CC cpability.

I have the Mongo and it is big. There is a lot of room.

[​IMG]

https://www.maxpedition.com/products/mongo-versipack?variant=27914122897

blind & lost and SAK_Survival like this.
  5. SAK_Survival

SAK_Survival Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I had not seed this pack but I will look into it as another option.

I should state that i will be using a messenger bag in and out of the office, and I will use it to carry paperwork and my other EDC essentials. I may be bringing my laptop backpack from time to time, depending if I need my computer.

Thanks again for all the suggestions,
    SAK

blind & lost and Harper like this.
  6. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This one looks interesting for a more office-oriented bag (no personal exprience with it):

[​IMG]

https://www.hazard4.com/bags/edc-messengers/sherman.html

The side pocket looks like it might be able to hold a bottle. It looks like you can attach a bottle holder on the MOLLE on the other side, too.

Some other places to look for 4th of July sales:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/
    https://lapolicegear.com/

This one isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it might work and is available for a good price:
    https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-bg-messenger-bag.html

blind & lost and PAcanis like this.
  7. Self Reliantist

Self Reliantist Guide

Blog Posts:
    https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_usd/

I have the ‘bushcraft satchel bag’ (3rd one down) it suits my needs.

It replaced a Condor ‘Solveig’ on which the zipper flys were made of sub par alloy material that distorted and stopped meshing the teeth, quite the disappointment.

https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_usd/tb-ucl-cd-urban-courier-bag-large-cordura.html

https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_usd/tb-ucm-cd-urban-courier-bag-medium-cordura.html

https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_usd/tb-bst-cd-bushcraft-satchel-bag-cordura.html

I’m thinking of moving up to the top one.
    If a little’s good, a lot’s better, and, too much oughta be about right!
    Norm

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    blind & lost and WILLIAM.M like this.
  8. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree that this would be great to try, for $16 shipped you cant lose much. You would have to sew in some bottle seperators, which wouldn't be hard, I used paracord. You could sew in a center divider long ways for a 8x11 folder and laptop. Add a shoulder strap and swe on a canvas pouch to the front for cellphone and whatever and youre done. If it doesn't work out youre out like $16.

LongChinJon and blind & lost like this.
  9. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Much more $, and I don't own this but, Frost River Kadunce Waxed Canvas Messenger Bag has a pocket on each end to hold your bottles.

10. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Check out the French military gas mask bag at Keepshooting .com NOS $6.95, it's HD canvas rugged built will hold a 32 oz 11 in high bottle in each side pocket. Won't handle your 15 in computer but will hold your 8x11 paperwork. 11" H x8"Wx6"D GM bag.png

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    blind & lost likes this.
  11. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon ii? It's not a messenger bag, but holds two water bottles. They are outside the pack, if sweating on your gear inside is a risk. Here's a pic from right here on BCUSA:

[​IMG]

There's a review here.
    It's pricey and I think discontinued, but some sellers still have NOS. It's Maxpedition, it may outlive you.... My wife has one, and we really like it. Many packs have one outside water bottle place, but can imbalance the pack. This one can carry two, and could always be balanced.

blind & lost likes this.
  12. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mountainsmith Day. Pockets on either end each hold a 32 oz Nalgene. Main compartment will hold the A2 files vertically. I use one as my office EDC bag.

blind & lost likes this.
  13. never.truly.lost

never.truly.lost Timber Cruiser Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Expensive, but I can highly recommend the ITS Discreet Messenger Bag. I have one in the green canvas and it is quite classy enough for town, and also has a home riding shotgun in my truck with all my mapping tools and navigation aids. Pull out the tech sleeve and it is a great hotel/motel/ travel bag. Made in Texas, semi weather resistant, and good to go for town and field.

I had @tulsa make me up a sling pad in matching green waxed canvas to top it off.

https://store.itstactical.com/its-discreet-messenger-bag.html

Again, the cost is high and there are sales so keep an eye out (picked mine up on the black Friday sale and saved a ton) but it is a very quality item and check off your box of fitting dual Nalgenes/canteens but without having a dedicated shaped pocket for them, and when not in use the snaps close up the bellows and it is a but smaller (the pictures/video explain it well).

Hope that helps!
    Andy

blind & lost likes this.
  14. Ol Grizz

Ol Grizz Scout

Blog Posts:
    LA Police Gear Bail Out Bag. Comes in two sizes. Regular size just barely fits 8.5 X 11 paper, probably not inside a folder or notebook. Have beat the heck out of mine and it still looks pretty good. I would add a link but it seems their site isn't working properly at the moment.

blind & lost likes this.
  15. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M Scout

Blog Posts:
  16. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Will the pockets hold the nalgene oasis canteens (identical shape to the GI canteen)?

blind & lost likes this.
  17. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure, I don't have any. The water bottle holders are net, with drawstring tops. If you can give me a measurement of how wide/thick they are, I can give a best guess.

woodsranger and blind & lost like this.
  18. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you kindly, sir! They are 5" wide and 3" thick. One of my concerns is that the pockets look like they narrow towards the bottom.

blind & lost likes this.
  19. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    @woodsranger Finally got out the tape measure and the bag. The pockets do narrow towards the bottom, and are oriented to fit a cylindrical bottle. I have a 32oz Nalgene, and it was about 3.5" in diameter, and about 6" in height. The bottom of the pocket has kind of a pleat in it, but the entire bottle fit in it, with the lid protruding. The drawstring/net is not stretchy, so if your canteen is 5" wide, I don't think it will fit.

I checked with a laptop, that is considered a 15" laptop (that's usually the display size, measured diagonally). Closed, it measured about 16.5" diagonally. It fits easily into the main compartment, with another 3" above it to spare. There are still several more pockets and attachments, you could hang more on it.

As far as your original spec of holding a 15" laptop, and two 32oz Nalgene, I think this would work great, and keep the bottles outside/away from the laptop. For your specific canteen-shaped Nalgenes, they might not work, but cylindrical 32oz bottle fit perfectly, and are common.

I have used a couple of messenger bags, and a couple of Maxpedition packs. With the weight that two 32oz Nalgenes and a laptop represent, overall I think a more traditional backpack design (Maxpedition) would be better than a single-strap messenger bag. It depends on how far, and how long you will be carrying it.

blind & lost and woodsranger like this.