Advice needed on my trip to Alaska and Canada

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by Moondog55, Dec 4, 2018.

1. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd hang on to your gear and be patient. Who knows, but in a few years maybe the Australian economy will improve and you'll be able to afford to make the trip.

Quinlan likes this.
  2. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Somehow I think this was going to be my last shot, I've not heard much about people over 70YO climbing Denali in winter. This gear is way overkill for simple cold camping or hot tenting. I'll probably keep all that stuff current and up to scratch just in case but better somebody younger and fitter but a bit short of cash buy this gear. It will be discounted to half price but even so there is several thousand dollars tied up and the mortgage is important

Quinlan likes this.
  3. Dscythe

Dscythe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear about the trip Moondog, that's brutal. As a Canadian I definitely understand the rough dollar situation. Just out of curiosity, what kind of sleeping bag is it?

Quinlan likes this.
  4. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If ever you do go... bring a barrel of DEET!

E2AFDB4F-F0FC-4387-B099-4B4FF83523D2.jpeg

5. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    It is a Berghaus Ulvetanna with another 300 grams of down added, rated to be the same as a Snowy Owl from FF; -55C

Attached Files:

Quinlan likes this.
  6. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Sorry mate...

Quinlan and Moondog55 like this.
  7. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Thanx
    Stuff happens and life goes on. You never know what's around the corner; if we win the lottery I'll pay somebody to push my wheelchair

waipapa13, Quinlan and blind & lost like this.
  8. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    I believe there is a reason for everything, we just usually don't understand the reason.

Quinlan likes this.
  9. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

I found out this thread today and I started going through the posts with increasing interest as you were discussing your preparations. I am very sorry to here about the Australian dollar and the huge no-go it threw in your plans...:(

Regards,

Christos

blind & lost likes this.
  10. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Thanx Christos
    I am not going to be able to sell the huge deep cold sleeping bag and I have just offered to gift it to my mate in Connecticut with the proviso that it he wins the lottery I get paid rent on it. Better to reduce debt here and now and make do. Reduce the mortgage and build a man cave. Also to be honest my health isn't the best at the moment and I'm not doing so well, it takes a while to recover from an atypical pneumonia

blind & lost and Quinlan like this.
  11. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Quinlan likes this.
  12. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,
    What he says!
    Regardless of the Australian or any other dollar, that is top priority. :)

Regards,

Christos

blind & lost likes this.
  13. Concord77

Concord77 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been to Alaska, I don't even know people who were there. So, this topic is very interesting! Unfortunately, I can't give a good piece of advice, but I can suggest reading a book Into The Wild. This is a story of 24-year old man who hitchhiked to Alaska in 1992. I found it to be very inspiring, so maybe you will also like it.

blind & lost and Don_Parsons like this.
  14. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Lots of good folks in Alaska, NWT, Yukon, and Canada. I'm in the Lower mid stream between Montana and Alaska,,, we call it the 1000 miles N and 1000 miles West... It becuase out Americas is on a slant to the round world...

The other joke we share is that your in a cabin with 4 windows,,, each window you look threw is South,,, where are you...

The answer is the North Pole. Ha.

Places you want to see. Mile zero at Dawson Creek BC. Leard Hot springs, White House, Chicken Alaska, SKAGWAY, Gold town Dawson, Hyder/ Stewart, Juno by Fairy,,, catch it on the way up or back. Seattle is the USA landing...

Fairbanks and Ankerage,,, and 1000's of others places and things to see...

Don't leave home until you read some travel documents,,, she one big expanse so it's nice to take your time and plan it well...

Also look up the hostels incase it's raining,,, be careful with some strangers on the hwy of tears,,, 3 folks lost their lives to 2 Wack-oh kids that ended up doing them selves in 3 Provinces to the East trying to avoid capture...

1 older fellow from BC and a Gal from the USA along with here boy friend from Australia... Sad indeed,,, the 98 to 99,9% of folks are good down to earth folks... Just to odd Wack-ohs to watch out for...

Them and the bears and Kow Moose,,, dam Kows will wreck your day. Ha

Any Who, if you've never been there you'll deffinatly get an eye opener,,, either you like it or don't,,, the story I like to follow is the history of the gold rush,,, the WW 2 story and the culture of the Inuit people. It is the land of true Bush Craft if you know where to look...

PS: You do not want to see it all on your first trip up there,,, the stuff you miss out on is good,,, that way it gives you a reason to return...

Land of the Midnight Sun, a story about Rivers, the hard ships of life in a land of wild and harsh in the frozen winter months...

Small pickup truck with topper or camper along with vehicle supplies and dam good tires. Find out who will keep your unit running if things go south before leaving home...

Don't over think it,,, don't under estimate it either...

Plan plan plan,,, that way you'll get the best bang for your buck,,, and you can team up with other travellers along the way,,, you'll be thrilled to know that they are seeking the same great experience your after...

Cheers from the North

blind & lost and Moondog55 like this.
  15. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Don I really do wish I was still going. Alaska actually sounds like the Never-Never but with bears instead of salties

blind & lost likes this.