Advice please...

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Trail Angel, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Trail Angel

Trail Angel KK6IQL-GENERAL YL Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am a woman with a fairly small frame and want to purchase a hunting bow. I have two crossbows but want to get a very good quality bow, suitable for hunting and protection. I am going to visit our local archery shop next week and want to know what to ask for. Any suggestions??

2. Mitch Ray

Mitch Ray Guide

Blog Posts:
    IMHO a bow is not a great choice for protection/personal defense, but they are fine tools for hunting and having fun. Were you thinking compound or traditional? Small Game, big game, or a mix?

jasam, JasonJ, SmilinJoe and 2 others like this.
  3. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    Protection? If that is really a consideration go with a long bow as you can shoot that much faster than a compound. As far as hunting bows there are a lot out there made for women. So many more options out there but I would shoot several and see what bow feels the best to you. Your dealer should be able to set up several for you to test. If I had to protect myself I wouldnt be grabbing for my bow though. Let them know your budget and they can set you up. I will say if they set you up with a package, which is a good starting point, be ready to slowly swap out components for better quality as you can afford.

Trail Angel, isme and Mitch Ray like this.
  4. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    make sure archery shop has a range where you can try a few different bows,
    aside from sizing you up for proper draw length,
    want to make sure your comfortable with the draw poundage
    if archery shop does not have a range, try going to an archery range where you can rent a bow
    50# on compound is a good range for most people and most game, when you get +60# that's a lot of bow and takes work to build up the muscles for it to be comfortable
    and as mitch stated, I wouldn't consider a bow for protection,
    also as he stated, big or small game?
    I use a 60-70# compound for big game, and a 25# bow for small game,
    low poundage can draw much faster and hold the draw longer which is useful on small game,

Trail Angel, SmilinJoe and Mitch Ray like this.
  5. Trail Angel

Blog Posts:
    I cannot afford multiple bows, so I guess I am looking for one that can multi-task. Thank you for your answers... I will follow your advice

dirt7 likes this.
  6. Mitch Ray

Mitch Ray Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree. A package gets you shooting and practicing, which is by far the most important thing. As you become proficient you can outfit your rig in a way that best suits you.

Trail Angel likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    You might find out what "weight bow" your state requires for hunting and consider the draw weight your capable of dealing with and figure on developing your upper body strength conversely.
    Compound bows are more forgiving and allow one to hold the draw far longer then a recurve or long bow .
    I suggest starting off with something your can presently pull and or is adjustable in draw weight and work up as you develop . Nothing fancy or expensive since this would be a training tool in the beginning.
    I have several bows I started my kids with ,so its handy to have them for the future .
    By the by I use aa card board box and stack it as tight as I can and arrange it so my arrows are going in the end grain of the stacked card board . good penetration and easier than any other back stop to remove arrows .
    I have found wall mart to have arrows cheap but they are carbon fiber , and may not stand up as well as aluminum for practice .
    Another reason for the lighter bow ,developing muscle memory and sighting .
    Needing sights is good and being able to shoot with out sights as good as well . It is important to develop a knowledge of each bows performance as you graduate and what they are capable of in your hand.

SmilinJoe and Trail Angel like this.
  8. Mitch Ray

Mitch Ray Guide

Blog Posts:
    My 70 lb compounds are definitely overkill for small game. It's more of a specialized tool to maximize accuracy and arrow delivery in a hunting situation. Shooting a squirrel, even with small game heads, would not be ideal and the likelihood of defending myself with any bow is pretty slim.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for. Archery and bowhunting are a lot of fun.

SmilinJoe and Trail Angel like this.
  9. Trail Angel

Blog Posts:
    Thank you!!!

10. Trail Angel

Blog Posts:
    I used to Bow Hunt with my grandpa. I have two crossbows and used to be in an archery group... but that was long ago. Thank you for your help and encouragement.

Mitch Ray and SmilinJoe like this.
  11. Trail Angel

Blog Posts:
    This is me target shooting with my uncles crossbow. I went out and bought one right after this, followed another in one year. I have a small crossbow pistol as well.

Attached Files:

Plainsman and Mitch Ray like this.
  12. trad_bowhunter1965

trad_bowhunter1965 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    where do you live in Northern CA lots of great Archery shop there depending on how far you are willing to travel.

Trail Angel likes this.
  13. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a Diamond Edge bow, I believe its an edge.
    It is made for a youth and you can increase it all the way to an adult. It's reasonably priced and may be what you are looking for. Maybe you can find one used after checking it out in store.

Trail Angel and Mitch Ray like this.
  14. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    You have not met Oliver Queen's alter ego, have you? lol.

Agreed, a bow lost it's appeal as a defensive protection weapon circa 1835-1836 when Sam Colt applied for a patent for his revolving pistol design.

Trail Angel, rsnurkle and Mitch Ray like this.
  15. Mitch Ray

Mitch Ray Guide

Blog Posts:
    Last year when I still taught physics, I made a video for my students featuring me as "Oliver Queen" to teach them about the basics of energy transformation in bows and arrows. It was pretty terrible, but they got a kick out of it.

Trail Angel, rsnurkle and JasonJ like this.
  16. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would have loved that, as a student. Potential energy converted to kinetic, etc. A lot of physics going on in archery. well, all of life every day, but you know what I mean. lol.

17. Nelson Forge

Nelson Forge Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My wife went with a Diamond (compound), can't remember which line, and she loves it. There are a lot of options out there for women and youth bows are a great option too. One recommendation is to shoot as many bows as you can get your hands on; different makes/models shoot differently and you will just KNOW when you find the right one. Have the bow shop person set each bow at the same poundage and see how they shoot.
    Go ahead and have some fun with it!

Mitch Ray and Trail Angel like this.
  18. Trail Angel

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. So far that seems to be exactly what I am going to do.

Mitch Ray likes this.
  19. Trail Angel

Blog Posts:
    I still see it as a quiet way to protect myself in certain survival situations

20. Trail Angel

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. I will check one out

Mitch Ray likes this.
  21. Trail Angel

Blog Posts:
    There are many. I am fortunate. There are also many practice ranges and groups.

Mitch Ray likes this.
  22. Trail Angel

Blog Posts:
    Thank you so much. This is all good info and I will use it.

Mitch Ray likes this.
  23. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Taking the pic on your shirt into consideration. If you got guns and coffee already... Then the defensive aspect is taken care of. If your goals are to put meat in the freezer, go with a compound bow. If you just love wandering around the woods shooting arrows, and if you get something that is a bonus, then get a longbow or recurve. There are many used and very fine recurves you can get for the price of a cheaper new recurve. I have shot just the bone cheap samick sage for 4 or 5 years now with no regrets. I shoot about 64# at 29 inch draw. My bow stacks a bit at that draw length but not too bad. You said you were smaller so you wont have that problem with any of the cheaper bows.

jasam, Mitch Ray and JasonJ like this.
  24. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I hear ya. Just please realize that "protect myself" seems to imply self defense... Which means you are faced with a threat you may or may not have known was there. If these are the two-legged variety, a bow is not going to put you at any advantage against a firearm.

Now as an offensive weapon...where you are attacking by surprise or against another similarly armed assailant, much better chances.

I wish you the best of luck and hope for you to never need your bow to loose an arrow in such a situation.

25. Trail Angel

Blog Posts:
    That is my hope as well, but as a prepper, I choose to be ready for what may come.

JasonJ likes this.
  26. Northern Canadian

Northern Canadian Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My vote goes to the diamond infinite edge as well. My wife is using it right now at 30 lbs draw weight and when I go moose hunting I set it up for me at 70 lbs and keep it as a spare bow. They are very capable bows and very light. They weight the same as a high end carbon bow and shoot very well. I have a high end Hoyt myself and I don’t see why it’s worth triple the money just for hunting purposes. Just my two cents ;)

Mitch Ray likes this.