ALICE pack mods

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by HannahT, Aug 20, 2018.

1. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Magnetom I wasn't familiar with the radio version, I looked it up. Sounds like the basic same ruck, but with a velcro flap for the antenna to stick out through. Do you think that would be useful for carrying a small rifle/carbine/shotgun inside? Certainly not a quick-draw situation, but might be OK for just carrying it to get somewhere. I once attached a machete case to one of mine, I kind of forgot about details on that.

Staleym likes this.
  2. Magnetom

Magnetom Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It would certainly have to be a small weapon to comfortably fit inside the pack, i measured it and its roughly 18 inches from top to bottom. ruck1.jpg ruck2.jpg

The ruck came in brand new condition, even the rubberized waterproof coating on the lid/map pouch is in brand new shape. It's pretty spacious considering, and i like it better than the large pack even if its just because of aesthetics. Just have to pack smarter for big trips.

Staleym, blind & lost and marbleman like this.
  3. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    FWIW, I ditched the alice frame right away, it never seemed comfortable. I attached mine to a WWII aluminum box channel type cargo pack frame. I put the alice on even with the bottom of the frame leaving room above it for sleeping bag and pad.

I also used the double breakaway shoulder straps. I didnt have trouble with them coming apart spontaneously for whatever reason. Ive never used waist belts on packs. The cargo frame had a tumpline I used.

Staleym and marbleman like this.
  4. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was guessing that with the flap open on the radio version, you could carry a {short} long gun, and let it protrude out of the antenna flap. Maybe cork or cover the end of the barrel if need be. I like the MSS carrier! It easily attaches to the bottom of the pack, and has a sort of handle. I keep it and sleeping bags in my vehicle, especially in winter.

Staleym likes this.
  5. Magnetom

Magnetom Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Results of a long week, i wasn't even thinking about the flap! Theres a few straps inside the pack as well that could possibly work well for securing a weapon, theres certainly enough space for most of your usual barrels to fit in the flap area.

Staleym likes this.
  6. NattyBo

NattyBo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    From some other ALICE thread suggestions, I tried the MSS carrier(too heavy), the MOLLE waistpack(had to really jam the sleeping bag in) and NBC bag and found I like the woodland NBC strapped to the bottom best.
    Here's a view: https://www.mainemilitary.com/Produ...ag-Sleeping-Bag-Carrier-Woodland-360p3630.htm

blind & lost and marbleman like this.
  7. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Best way I've found to cover the muzzle of a long gun is to buy black rubber "finger cots" from the pharmacy.
    Before I found the cots I was chopping fingers off my black nitrile gloves and securing them with a rubber O-ring.

blind & lost and marbleman like this.
  8. Magnetom

Magnetom Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It still feels like a piece is missing, i got the short attachment straps today but can't figure out how to install it and snug it all down.

bucck3.jpg
    These are the new short attachment straps above.
    buck1.jpg
    These are the ends of the load lifter straps on the MOLLE shoulder straps, i think theres supposed to be a fastex buckle but it didn't come with one, please correct me if i'm wrong.
    buck2.jpg
    Another picture of the end of the load lifter straps on the molle shoulder straps theirselves, it's a loop sewed shut without any buckles inside, i can't quite seem to figure out how to put it all together.

Staleym and blind & lost like this.
  9. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I dug my ALICE out and found a MOLLE II hipbelt which I put on it. All I can say is what an improvement!

Staleym, Ptpalpha, SkipJunkie and 2 others like this.
  10. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ok, my Filbe frame arrived and I spent Monday morning assembling everything.

To note, I'm 5'9" 155 lbs. I find that any US military surplus from WWII through through the Viet Nam war that is sized Medium fits me almost perfectly. The standard Alice back and frame actually works quite well with me. The Molle pack and frame, of course, also works well as it is adjustable.

First up, a pic of all the Alice and Molle stuff I have along with some assorted straps and buckles. I didn't use all of this but I wasn't sure what I'd want or need so I layed it all out.
    [​IMG]

The Filbe frame fit into the Alice pack, no problem. I attached the Molle shoulder straps in the most obvious spots. Only the bottom set of straps had slots to thread through. The top set just wrapped around the frame. The center vertical strap had slots for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The load lifter straps had a slot in the frame and went through the oval rings on the pack, but they were slightly misaligned. You can see the strap folding over slightly on the left side of the picture. this didn't affect the functionality whatsoever.
    [​IMG]

To attach the bottom of the Alice pack, there were two spots that looked good to use. I initially put the bottom straps in the lower angled one, but then I realized that would be a better spot for the lower attachment of the shoulder straps.
    [​IMG]

I attached the hip pad. Yes, it's upside down. I know. I have used it both ways plenty and all I can say is that it works better for me like this. This is part of my issue with modern surplus. it is made for Standard Issue SixTwo Iowa Corn Fed Farm Boy. I'm more of a General Issue Depression Era Size Frame, One. The hip pad in it's proper orientation just shoves down on my butt and makes my pants fall down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cont...

11. Unistat76

Blog Posts:
    Next I attached the sleep system carrier to the bottom of the frame and pack. No real problems except the slots are, again, slightly misaligned. It doesn't seem to affect function though.
    [​IMG]

I attached a sustainment pouch to one side of the pack and a couple of SAW ammo pouches to the other side (one Alice and one Molle.) I also added an Alice butt pack to the front-top of the Alice pack, but for some reason I didn't take a good picture of it. Probably because it was so straight forward. Of course all these extra pouches are kind of optional. I just wanted to see what I could hang on there. I might take off or rearrange some of that.
    [​IMG]

Here is is, all gussied up.
    [​IMG]

12. Unistat76

Blog Posts:
    I forgot to add: After all that modding and assembly- still no drag handle, lol!

Staleym, blind & lost and NevadaBlue like this.
  13. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    No worries, that's about the easiest part!
    I forget what it's called, cobra braid or something like that. Paging @Wasp !
    IMG_20180830_174559.jpg

14. Chromando

Chromando Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is almost exactly how I set mine up. I did not put the load lifters through the rings because it pulled the pack in too much, and I don't have a sleeping bag compartment for it. If I did, I would use the metal tabs like on the molle ii frame and slip them through the middle slot between the two tighteners on the hip belt. After that, I would just run the straps through the two slots on the alice pack.

15. Unistat76

Blog Posts:
    I pure hate those stupid metal tabs.

Lol, jk.

But seriously, those tabs were put here on Earth by Satan to make me lose my salvation.

16. Chromando

Chromando Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wholeheartedly agree.

17. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any advice to stop an ALICE frame from creaking and squeaking? I'm going to lose my mind.

18. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the same issue lol, I personally don't care much,...but here's what i would do.....

You know where most of the squeaks come from is that part of the pack bag that the frame slides into at the top. Rub a unscented candle up inside the corners of that slip envelope. You should not have to heat up the candle, just rub it in that corner like its deodorant. The wax that rubs off in that corner should rub in well and lubricate the contact point between the top of the bag and the frame.

You can repat this process on the bottom webs that hold the bottom of the pack and the webs that attach the shoulder straps to the frame, but I would be more hesitant because that area is more likely to be visible. Doing thos top corners should elleviate at least 80% of the noise.

Staleym, dreamin, Ptpalpha and 5 others like this.
  19. bp93yj

bp93yj Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Dirtman Dave the hellcat mod is great. I have one and load it up and hike with it. it is comfortable. the mods are not hard I sourced my parts on ebay.

Staleym and blind & lost like this.