ALICE pack prices thru the roof?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Florida Bullfrog, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Florida Bullfrog

Florida Bullfrog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What happened? A few years ago when I got into backpacking it was possible to pick up an ALICE pack and frame for about $40, sometimes less. I have a large ALICE I use for cold weather camping. I've never owned a medium.

This evening I started looking for a medium to use as a hunting daypack. They're hard to find and prices are double or triple what they used to be. Have sources for ALICE packs dried up?

Edited: Does anyone have experience with the non-surplus ALICE knock-offs or alternate packs that fit ALICE frames? I'm in love with he frame with Molle straps, I can take or leave the ALICE pack itself. I'd be willing to try alternate packs that will be a good fit for the frame.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    blind & lost, backlasher and HunterX9 like this.
  2. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Spec ops was having a clearance on their recon ruck which is a Cordura version of ALICE

I’ve still got my modified medium I pull out every once in awhile.

blind & lost likes this.
  3. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Simply supply and demand. Those now available are usually found at yard sales or thrift shops (cheap) or on line from E-Pay thru the nose (expensive). In my part of the country the med. AICE is still a common sight in use by working woods people such as foresters, surveyors, wardens, SAR and trappers where durability and utility mean more than comfort and style, I know a few of them that are still using the father of the ALICE which is the old WW11 10th Mountain Division packs.

blind & lost and Medic17 like this.
  4. pedtst

pedtst Tracker

Blog Posts:
    8181FFC1-2247-48C5-9FF6-1F8A70AD2F71.jpeg I got mine on Marketplace $15 without frame, I found a large one complete for $50

blind & lost likes this.
  5. DirtmanDave

DirtmanDave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Around here they are about $45. With frame.

blind & lost likes this.
  6. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Are you going to the FL meet in a few weeks? I've debated about getting rid of mine.

Mr. Tettnanger and blind & lost like this.
  7. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not sure when the changes happened, but I think the switch over to MOLLE gear dumped quite a few on the market, and they're starting to dry up now. Sportsman's Guide has mediums for $40 without frames, still a decent price, but not great.

blind & lost likes this.
  8. colrbh

colrbh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I need a set of shoulder straps..they want more than I paid for the pack and frame combined. Picked mine up for a 20.00..didnt know it has 2 left straps though.

blind & lost likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have two Alice packs I have loaded one from S&R and one that is for clothing and other bulk items on a bug out .
    I have a number of other packs for specific issues like; meds, or ropes ,or electronics (batteries lighting solar etc, ) ,papers documentation, photos etc,
    I find it easier to organize into separate bags designed for a hasty retreat .
    My EDC bag is a Swiss Army computer back pack , probably one of the toughest bags I've ever owned .

Mr. Tettnanger and blind & lost like this.
  10. fire65

fire65 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a med alice with frame that I wanted to sell but the shipping is a killer on something this size.

11. optrixs

optrixs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Try craigs list that where I have found mine.I live in SW Oregon prices range from 20-50 dollars for either med or large with frame.Here is where you can start. https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/fl Have fun!!

blind & lost likes this.
  12. outkastblast

outkastblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just saw a large ALICE at the local thrift store complete for $40. Last one I purchased was maybe 2 years ago, medium complete for $15 at the same thrift store. It's all a crap shoot when talking about thrift stores of course, but do you have any used sporting goods stores near you? I was surprised the amount of military surplus mine had for being a non-milsurp store.

They are getting a little harder to find locally and as others have mentioned, it's hard to find one online with a reasonable shipping price due to weight of a complete setup.

blind & lost likes this.
  13. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @Seacapt.
    I do not know why, but I really like the 10th Mtn packs.
    If I was going to go "old school" I would grab one of them.

blind & lost and Seacapt. like this.
  14. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Good luck trying to find one that still has the bag in usable condition. I still have my Dad's and the triangular type frame is definitely more ergo dynamically comfortable than the square ones on the ALICE.

15. TrailJack

TrailJack Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a medium (woodland pattern) with a frame (hellcat mod) that I'm willing to make a trade for.......looking for a Hidden Woodsman Haversack, but open to offers

blind & lost likes this.
  16. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Scout

Blog Posts:
    I didn't realize the ALICE straps we're right & left? o_O

colrbh likes this.
  17. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I know I posted this somewhere else too, but around here, mediums with frames go for $70, and they're usually pretty well beat on.

18. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yessir... I recently found that out myself.
    And apparently it's not uncommon to get one that has two lefts, or two rights. Which explains why eBay has lots of listings for single straps (something which always confused me until I received a pack with two lefts!!).
    My advice is to place a WTB ad in the trade blanket for what you want, or simply scour eBay for the individual pieces. If I remember correctly from my recent Alice search there are Alice frames available for around $25 shipped, and then you can get the medium ruck with straps for another $25-35 shipped.
    Definitely keep a close eye on the pics and shoot for a ruck that's described as excellent condition ("new" is a lot to hope for, but they're out there too).
    Either way, a medium Alice in good condition is well worth $60 and a little search effort, in my opinion.
    But to your original point, yes, the prices have gone up in the last couple years.
    People have begun to realize that having a "bug out bag", a "go bag", a "get back home bag", etc. is not so crazy of an idea as it once seemed.

19. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was given an Alice pack in perfect condition a number of years ago, but I have no frame for it. How can I know if it's a large or a medium? I have been using it for storage.

20. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a complete medium, an extra frame, an extra set of straps and recently saw a nearly complete med for $18, but thanks!

21. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Scout

Blog Posts:
    Should say under the top flap if it's a med or large.

JAY likes this.
  22. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, It's a medium.

Outdoor Dauber likes this.
  23. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    The surplus stores in my area probably have a thousand medium alice packs, but only 4-500 packs worth of shoulder straps for them. as they get older and more obsolete it will become more like this, but Molle and stuff like that will fill their gap.

People are really spoiled for nylon right now. Backpacks have never been this nice.

24. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Scout

Blog Posts:
    We
    You're welcome. Also, the medium only has three exterior pockets, the large has 3 I believe plus several smaller ones.

JAY likes this.
  25. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wish I lived remotely close to a surplus store nearly that size!!!

26. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looked at the "Army Surplus World" web site, wow, stuff seems high dollar.

27. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Most military bases have some sort of surplus store infrastructure nearby. Ebay actually has a lot of gear if you know what your searching for.

Large alice has three main exterior pocket and thre small magazine pockets above them. The small ammo pockets are basically useless but dont weight much unless you have an ar-15 in your gear.

Large ALICE packs where mainly issued to the infantry and airborne units. Combat support units (70% of the army) got issued the medium ALICE pack and a duffel bag and footlockers. Loved my footlocker back in boy scouts lol. So as far as surplus goes the large ALICE pack is kinda special and not as easily found, there are a lot of them out there but they will become rare first.

28. Chevrolet4x4s

Chevrolet4x4s Guide

Blog Posts:
  29. Fink

Fink Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've got a USMC Filbe pack with three pouches I never use. I have it up on offer to a pay it forward thread.

PACoureurDuBois likes this.
  30. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    +1 on that! I think my local milsurp store has MAYBE 10 complete packs on a good day

31. Florida Bullfrog

Florida Bullfrog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I ended up finding a medium in ok but not great shape on eBay for $35 shipped. I can live with that price. I've had the pack for a couple of weeks and its working out fine for what I want it for, a hunting day pack that gives me easy access to gear and can carry the weight of heavy equipment or meat if needed.

I would very much like to see more ALICE frame compatable bags that are similar to the ALICE pack but with a slight different configuration. I do like having some internal zipper pockets for storage of small items.

Ptpalpha likes this.