ALICE Pack

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by greg_r, Oct 3, 2018.

1. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looking for a new pack, thought I would go to the surplus store and check out the old ALICE pack.

They had a modern one, civilian knock off. $24 and there was a plastic frame available. I lost interest quickly.

They had two actual surplus packs. New. $58 for the medium radio operator pack with frame, $64 for the medium standard pack with frame. Both in woodland camo.

They do not look the same as the pack I was issued in the 70's. Dont know what it is, just different. Maybe because my issue pack was just green?

Should I purchase one of these? Seems like a good price. I do like them a bit better than the packs i have been looking at.

2. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Of you don't have to have it immediately, I would look further. I think you should find one cheaper than that.

Boomstick likes this.
  3. Boomstick

Boomstick Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have had my Alice pack for about 10 years now. It is the large olive drab and with the frame I think I paid around $40. That was at a local gun and knife show. I don’t think 10 years would add a whole lot of money on one of these but I agree that they shouldn’t be that expensive.

4. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    I bought a medium and large OD, with frames and extra goodies inside, about seven years ago for $20.00 each at a gunshow. I wish I would have bought several more. Those days are likely long gone.

5. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @greg_r I am a latecomer to Alice, but there are lots of improvements. If you love Alice, you can perk the old girl up in many ways. There can be more modern/lightweight choices, on bang for the buck.

Straps and belt are the first step, to Hellcat goodness. More info here.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    blind & lost likes this.
  6. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Scout

Blog Posts:
    A local shop has two med ALICE packs on frames for $38 each, I think. There has also been an ad on CL for 10 med ALICE packs (no frames or straps) for $60 total.

blind & lost likes this.
  7. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They're definitely not as easy to find for low prices as they used to be. I have a couple that are built hellcat style with Molle shoulder pads and waist belts that I was thinking about selling but shipping is such a killer

Crusher0032 and blind & lost like this.
  8. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    blind & lost likes this.
  9. 111mm Scout

111mm Scout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a new/old stock frame for $20 and a 6 pocket (artic?) bag for another $20 at a show a year ago. Some tactical tailor straps are on it now....looking into hellcat upgrades. I've found the small alice packs for as little as $5 at shows in good condition. All depends on your local surplus market I think.

blind & lost likes this.
  10. latvija

latvija Tracker

Blog Posts:
    All the surplus shops I've been to have them $50 and up in fair condition (straps are often Rothco though). I have, however, seen them at antique stores for $30 or less complete in the same condition.

blind & lost likes this.
  11. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am going to look around a bit. Finding them fairly cheap, but add straps and frame then the prices seem comparable.

I will likely buy one of these if I dont find anything better, or lower priced.

New knockoffs with a plastic frame are $35 at the same surplus store.

blind & lost likes this.
  12. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois Scout

Blog Posts:
    Swung by my local Army/Navy shop a few days ago, complete packs (pack, frame, straps, kidney pad, cargo shelf) are going for $70. (Issued surplus, fairly beat on)

Pack only, $30 (issued surplus, pretty beat)
    Straps only, $20 (new repro)
    Frame only, $30 (Issued surplus, various conditions)
    Kidney pad, $20 (new repro)

Guttersnipe and blind & lost like this.
  13. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Scout

Blog Posts:
    I stopped in to look again today... complete med ALICE (except shelf) for $38. Med ALICE with frame missing the webbing portion of the straps (padded part is included) for $18.

blind & lost likes this.
  14. Staleym

Staleym Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had my Medium ALICE pack without frame since 1979.. It is still serviceable. What surprised when I ll with got it out of storage, is that Hammock, Mosquito Net, Tarp, UQ/TQ;, even in stuff sacks, almost completely fill the pack. If I add cooking gear (Titanium/nesting) it is full. No room for minimal clothing layers and food. I'm lucky that I have a complete combat harness loadout that I've augmented with additional pouches makes me hopeful that I can make it work.

For me, I've spent a lot on hammock and related gear. I'm using what I've had and depended on for 40 years. With ALICE/LC2 gear being out of production cycle and existing supply being exhausted, its becoming way more expensive than its worth to other than collectors. If I had to do it now I'd look for larger capacity and quality gear. That's my opinion based on years of experience. Take it or leave it for it's usefulness to your situation.

Guttersnipe and blind & lost like this.
  15. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well, I did it. Bought the LC1 radio pack. Was going to go with the LC2, but upon inspection it showed some light wear on the rubberized underside of the lid. The LC1 was surplus but in never issued condition. They did have a solid green ALICE, not a bad looking pack, but it was not USGI and it was priced a little bit higher than the surplus packs. Plus the green was not olive drab, but had a shiney finish that I did not like. I decided that I could live with woodland Camo.

Got the pack complete with straps, frame, kidney pad for $58. The only thing it does not have is the accessory shelf, which I can pick up for $9 if I really felt I needed it.

It had boiled down to the ALICE and a commercial 40 liter bag. I might have gone with the commercial pack except it had a open top pouch on the back, supposedly a hydration pouch. I prefer all pouches to be covered, but could have lived with it except the strap that connected the pouch to the pack was hooked to a cheap looking piece of plastic that looked like it would break sooner rather than later. It was a very comfortable pack though. Tall and slim vs the ALICE short and wide.

The surplus store had a pack I liked much better. The USGI MOLLE pack. It was HUGE! And very well built. It was unfortunately about $200 more than I was willing to pay for a pack!

16. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    @greg_r I'm happy you found basically what you were looking for, enjoy.

Guttersnipe, greg_r and Staleym like this.
  17. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You're going to love it. Take a lighter and carefully melt any frayed stitching (inside and outside), then consider modding the strap closures with fastex buckles which makes accessing the contents much easier.
    Or leave it as is and just enjoy it in it's original configuration!
    I love my medium Alice so much I just bought a second one to use without a frame. Great packs.

greg_r likes this.