All Around Bushcraft and Health Help

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by CharClothed, Aug 12, 2018 at 8:03 PM.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So I have some health issues and bushcraft issues which I need help finding ways to work through it. Here is the lay down.

I never have the energy. I get most of the materials together whenever I'm out but once I've done that, I just don't have the energy to actually practice. I normally don't eat anything at all. I'm 157lbs average and don't have a lot of strength in me. I'd never eat veggies and while you may think I mean "I don't eat them as much as other people", I can tell you that's wrong. I never eat any veggies. In fact I wouldn't even look at them in the store. The closest I came to veggies was the tomato sauce in pizza. Now that diet of unhealthy microwave food has left me without energy to do anything. This has been going on for years.

Now skip to this month. I bought a juicer and I've been juicing veggies for the nutrients coming from it. I've been learning to cook meats and fish in a better way. I've been having smoothies with protein in them almost daily. I'm taking steps to eat a better diet. But I'm still without energy. Now I have more than I used to but I'm still lacking.

Now a couple questions regarding health. Besides what I've started doing this month, and continuing to do so, what else can I do to better myself? Please understand I am juicing the food because my teeth can not chew the food (am working on fixing that, upcoming appointments and such, so no need to discuss that). What can I do physically, besides eating to help keep energy? Are there better ways than juicing a load of veggies and cooking some fish/chicken to have a better diet?

So regarding Bushcraft. As mentioned I never have energy to actually practice. I worry about setting up a shelter, unpacking, gathering fire wood, and by the time I've started a fire I am beat. I don't have energy to continue any other bushclass tasks. Whenever I go winter camping with a group from Michigan, I often have to pull via a sled. I get there, and set up camp, but afterwards I tend to sleep most of the trip to get energy again. Especially the last time I was there, but that was a miracle I even made it to camp.

With this info in mind, second comes to the tasks from bushclass. I attempt a lot of the stuff at home but I don't learn. I'm the type who needs to see it done in front of them. I've tried videos but I can't see it from all sides and I can't tell which way they are cutting or starting the fire. I can't actually learn without feeling it. I hope that makes sense.

Now with that in mind, here are a couple of questions regarding Bushcraft. First off, how can I actively and better pace myself? I always have the mind set that I need to get everything done as fast as possible. I never actually take my time and that hinders me later on. Secondly, how can I find someone or some way to see the thing I need to learn happen in front of me, and then follow suit? Where can I go to ask questions and learn from my mistakes in a real world environment, and not on a screen?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to help. Please, no smart ass reply's.

2. operatord

operatord Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hi Char,
    I’m sorry about the situation you are in. I am sort of in a similar one. My problems stem mostly from my depression and anxiety. It causes fatigue in me even after waking up from a long sleep. Could this be your problem? Only a doctor can tell you for sure. First thing I would do, if you haven’t already, is see a doctor for a check up. Let them make sure there isn’t a medical condition that you are unaware of going on. I wish you all the best Brother and will keep you in my thoughts and Prayers!

3. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Along with eating right Exercise even in short amounts. This will get you more energy, I call this POWER.

4. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We are meant to eat a variety of foods. Vegetables, meat, fruit, grain. Smoothies are OK for a treat, but your body is made to ‘process’ the food.
    Start over, start eating normal foods. The old ways are not always bad.

5. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In addition to what has already been advised. Get yourself some high potency B12 drops. Follow the directions on the bottle. It is usually so many drops held under your toung for a few moments then swallowed.

central joe and J. Pierce like this.
  6. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Athletic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Micro trips could get you out and exercising.
    Bushcraft doesn't have to be an expedition level trip.
    Start by getting out and doing something for just an hour or two, build back up to overnighters and longer trips.
    It's ok to think big, as long as you start small.

7. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just to reiterate: see a doctor. Period.

J. Pierce, Stone, BalsamFur and 5 others like this.
  8. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hats off to you on getting health. I know its a battle for lost of people even me. I would go to your Doc and have them run some labs with a tick scan of your blood. It well take time for your body to know what to do next with all the vegs and health eating hang in there and keep it up. I well be praying for you. Prov 27:17

J. Pierce and NevadaBlue like this.
  9. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    ^^^....all three of these comments.

10. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm sorry that you are so weak and underpowered. All I can say is your body needs some nutritious chow and and some exercise. I would recommend that you find one of these

upload_2018-8-12_18-55-56.jpeg

at least twice per week and devour it like a hungry coyote. Get some fries and a cold beer with it too. The rest of the time keep drinking your juice. Fruit and veggies are really good for you, just find an easy way to eat them. And eat some eggs. 4 per week. I used to toss 2 eggs in a blender, add some ice cream and make myself a really powerful milk shake. For veggies it's hard to beat cole slaw, with a tomato chopped up on it. Really easy to prepare, and very nutritious.

Then get on your walking shoes and go for a walk. Not far, just until you start getting a bit tired. Then turn around and go back, maybe a different way. Do that 4x per week. Follow this Rx for 3 months and come back for a follow up visit and we'll see how you are doing.
    Nurse, please send in the next patient.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 10:30 PM
    DCPugh, J. Pierce, x39 and 1 other person like this.
  11. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Food, exercise and a medical checkup. Good advice and have them check your heart especially.

x39 likes this.
  12. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well reading the OP I was planning on giving the same answers that have already been given. Regular exercise, we all heard it, it may sound tiresome and it is at first but it will lead to more energy and more endurance I promise. Short walks every day is a good place to start. After that I like weights, you might be different do what works.

Seeing you PCP might not be a bad idea as well. They should know you and your personal medical history better. Of course you've already stated that you have this scheduled.

Stay hydrated, and I don't mean with tea, soda, coffee, or beer. Drink good old H2O and lots of it. Lots of folks don't do this so it's worth mentioning. Water and it's importance can not be understated.

NevadaBlue, gila_dog and x39 like this.
  13. x39

x39 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The mind and body are equal parts of the whole. You need good fuel (food), exercise, and mental stimulation to make the whole thing work properly.

14. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    +1 on the above. See a doctor. Have him check your heart, lungs and run some routine blood tests. Ask him to run tests on your B-12, magnesium and iodine levels. There could be something more going on than improper diet. It could also be something obscure like a parasite.

Here are some other things you can talk to the doctor about:

1. CoQ10 for energy.

2. Vitamin B-12. If you can afford it, you want to get the Methylcobalamin form.

3. Magnesium supplementation.

4. Adrenal fatigue.
    https://www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Formula-Dr-Christopher-VCaps/dp/B00DX5I8DU/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1534124148&sr=8-3&keywords=adrenal+formula+dr+christopher

5. Iodine deficiency. This is effects the thyroid which is called the "Master Gland" of the body.
    https://www.infowarsstore.com/survival-shield-x-2-nascent-iodine.html

Also, eat a good breakfast.

Remember, if it is a question of nutrition (and not something deeper), it took a long time to get this way. It will likely take some time to get back into health. Also, as has been stated above, take things in small steps and build a little at a time.

Congratulations on eating healthier. Juicing is a good start, but try to eat the whole form of the food, too. Also, try to eat as organic as possible. At least, try to avoid GMO as much as you can.

You don't mention your sleeping pattern or stomach health which can also be factors.

Again, see a doctor.

Feel better!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 1:37 AM
    SmilinJoe and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  15. OMRebel

OMRebel He who piddles Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I hate to hear you are going through these issues. I can only echo what others have said: learn to eat a variety of things, go see a doctor, and maybe take a multivitamin every day. Drink water.

As for bushcraft, go at a pace that is fun for you. If that is a fast pace, nothong wrong with that, even if you have to relearn it several times. It is for fun, so dont stress about it. If there are local bushcraft meetups, go to them. Of not, put one together.

Good luck!

16. HannahT

HannahT Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Some great advice here. I feel like a different person when I change my diet (I try to avoid high-carb foods, pay attention to any cravings for things like fruit as that can indicate when I'm low in something, and enjoy trying odd food/drinks like almond milk), get away from the computer screen, and get outside for some exercise. Just having a purpose and task help me gain energy.

17. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You don't go to WebMD for firebuilding advice, do you? Why are you seeking medical advice here? ;)
    With all due respect to the helpful commenters here, do as some have said and TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST.
    As for bushcraft advice, we can help with that. :cool: A lot can be practiced in your yard or indoors, where the price of failure is lower and less energy will be expended. Slow down and take it a little at a time.

18. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    ^+1 to this, definitely see a doc first.

Scotchmon, LostViking and BalsamFur like this.
  19. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    Iron. Need iron in the diet. A simple finger prick iron test costs just a few dollars and is done on site. Will get the numbers within minutes. Low iron in the blood (anemia) means blood carries less oxygen. Body needs oxygen. If you take a short walk or go up some stairs and are out of breath, this could be from lack of iron. Spinach, red meat, and iron supplements can boost this quickly. BUT Iron needs vitamin C to absorb and use. One of the best sources of vitamin C is red, orange, and yellow bell peppers. These contain more C that oranges. A LOT more! Calcium blocks the absorption of C. So Calcium fortified orange juice is fighting a losing battle. Nutrients are funny things. Some are water soluble, some are fat soluble, some block others, etc. If needing to boost your iron and calcium, you need to do them at different times a day since calcium blocks iron. Iron needs vitamin C, Calcium needs vitamin D (hence vitamin D milk). Of course you can get all the vitamin D you need by going out into the sun an hour a day.

The wife donates plasma a couple times a week and needs to constantly keep her iron up. She would eat a meal with red meat and a red bell pepper before each donation and her red blood cell count was always good (was historically low) by doing this. Or she would take an iron pill and eat a pepper.

gohammergo and J. Pierce like this.
  20. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Preach. I can wake up at noon and before I know it, it's midnight and nothing has happened in between. Or I can wake up at a decent time after a normal person's amount of sleep and be tired the entire day. Often enough though, I sit at home unable to really move. I half to brace myself to use the bathroom even, the energy and drive to do something isn't there.

operatord likes this.