Allergies

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Mox wanders, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Mox wanders

Mox wanders Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Since I've been back on U.S. soil, I have been plagued by allergies. Jeez I didnt realize how bad allergies are here. Constantly taking some form of allergy medication, allergy eye drops, and caring a roll of tissue around with me for blowing my nose. On top of it all I'm not even back home in MS where theres tons more plants. Gonna be some rough adjustment

2. Jason in ID

Jason in ID Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I know how you feel. Winter is my favorite season because I don’t have them then. Last fall I met with an allergist and started taking sublingual allergy drops. Hopefully this season isn’t as bad.

3. happywanderer

happywanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's killing me in Florida right now. I've lived here for over 16 years now and I don't remember ever having as much trouble as I am this season.

central joe, Holtzcraft and Jim L. like this.
  4. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    central joe, Holtzcraft and Jim L. like this.
  5. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Of all things, I am extremely allergic to maple tree pollen. Do you know how many maple trees there are in this world. The soft maples are with flower here where I live the norways will be next. The next four weeks will be hell.

central joe and Holtzcraft like this.
  6. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Depends on what you are allergic to . Before I moved a little over 10 years ago I was just like you . Spent 6 months of the year miserable. Starting taking steroid shots about September . By October was taking 2 different allergy pills a day , one morning and one evening , just to try and stay a little out of the miserable zone . Would get another steroid shot around December . Many days the combo of all 3 wasn’t enough and I would sneeze myself into a stupor . When we decided to move I wanted to go south and my wife wanted to go north . She won the debate by watching pollen counts for the cedar pollen I am allergic to . Where I was living the count ran around 50 in bad times . Where I wanted to move ran double that. Where she wanted to move ran a 9 during the same time period . So she won. I took my last allergy pill quite literally the morning we drove off in the Uhaul and have never taken any since except for extended trips back home during cedar pollen season .

The combo of where you live and what you are allergic to matters highly . There are almost certainly areas in which what you are allergic to is low .

central joe, Holtzcraft and gila_dog like this.
  7. Broke

Broke I found my hat! LB #1 of 42 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Trees are kicking my butt right now, flonase works well for me. Good luck, get some high quality and soft handkerchief s.

8. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I suffer horribly (sneezing gallons of snot) for 3 months every year. Feb-April. It's junipers (AKA cedars) that get me. And I live among millions of them. I take my antihistamines and they help a lot. But sometimes we just pack up and leave. We're retired so that's possible. Going somewhere with an ocean is the best. But I've also gone to AZ, about 3000 ft lower than here. No junipers, just all kinds of desert plants that don't seem to bother me.
    Some things I do if I stay home among the junipers:
    - take a shower and rinse my hair every evening. Have my wife rinse her hair too.
    - dry the clothes and sheets in the drier rather than on the line outside during the bad months
    - keep my pollen covered clothes outside the house. Wear other clothes inside. That's a big PITA sometimes, but it helps.

The pollen is a lot like radioactivity. Get it on you and bring inside, or go to bed with it on you and you will suffer.

central joe, Holtzcraft and Broke like this.
  9. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    One trick a game warden told me in a restaurant right about the time we had decided to move was to flush the nose with water every hour or so using the same thing you use to squirt antihistamines up your nose . Flushed the pollen out supposedly. He suffered from cedar fever also and had to drive a lot through the back country full of it . I never tried it since we left and I didn’t need to .

central joe, Holtzcraft and Broke like this.
  10. BetterNotBitterIsSurvival

BetterNotBitterIsSurvival LB #42 Semi-Official Princess Helga IS thriving! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes, nasal saline spray may help but showering more frequently may also help reduce some of your discomfort. It is an allergy that has nasal symptoms however it isn't just breathing the pollen that will cause the reaction. Having the pollen on your skin also exposes you to have the allergen and will cause symptoms. It is just like someone who is allergic to anything else although breathing or eating the substance you are allergic will cause a reaction any exposure to it will also irritate your symptoms.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  11. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I discovered NasaCort a few years ago and it really has helped alot with the itchy, snotty nose. I just wish I could spray it in my eyes. I have tried every eye drop on the market and non of them do anything to help.

12. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I understand all to well. I suffer from allergies 365 days a year, 24/7.
    Always caughing, sneezing, itching, haveing trouble breathing. Yep I take meds. Sometime it helps a lot other times not so much.
    Allergies are just something I have learned to live with.

13. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  14. Harper

Blog Posts:

Very often, year round allergies like that involve food allergies.

Try an elimination diet for a couple of week of:

1) Dairy.
    2) Wheat.

Nettle Tea is an old time remedy for seasonal allergies and was often drunk in the Spring as a tonic.

15. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Our bodies change as we age. I spent the first half of my life outdoors, farming, ate a lot of dirt, breathed a lot of junk. Now in the most recent 5 years of my second half, I have discovered I am pretty allergic to things I definitely was not before. I had the "test" (forget the proper word). Maybe it will change back...

As far as over the counter stuff, Flonase helped, and a full bottle of saline that goes in one nostril, and out the other.

central joe, Lichen and Holtzcraft like this.
  16. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Years ago the wife and I went thru the allergy testing where they inject small amounts of the many different allergens, foods, grasses, trees, animal danders etc.
    We both tested out having tons of environmental allergies but no food allergies. We did the shots for years and I really dident see any improvment.

central joe likes this.
  17. Harper

Blog Posts:

I remember doing the same thing when I was about seven.

Unforntunately, food allergies aren't understood as well as they should be.

The elimination diet is something that can easily be done. A lot of people are allergic to dairy and/or wheat. Because farmers are spraying glyphosate on the wheat crop just prior to harvesting, I suspect that wheat intolerance will be increasing.

Just my opinion.

central joe and badgerthehobo like this.
  18. badgerthehobo

badgerthehobo Down the river and up the creek Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Back in Michigan, I never had any allergies. But since moving to CA, I get the worst sneezing, snotting, coughing fits for a month or so in mid spring, when all the pines and oaks are dumping pollen. We have pines and oaks in MI, but they’re different species from out here. Different plants must cause allergies.

Something I found that helps is making hot toddies with LOADS of local honey. I’m talking the tea has so much honey in it that it’s thick and sticky.

I’m gonna have to see if nettles grow in my section of CA.

central joe and Harper like this.
  19. badgerthehobo

badgerthehobo Down the river and up the creek Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I became intolerant to wheat in the last year or so. A slice of pizza lands me on the toilet like Harry on Dumb and Dumber for 3 days. It’s like I’m being turned inside out.

central joe and Harper like this.
  20. Harper

Blog Posts:

Hmm...

Pizza=Wheat+Dairy

I love it, too. But I cut it back to about once a week.

As we get older, our bodies don't produce enzymes like they used too. A good enzymatic supplement (5 or more enzyme types) often helps.

A lot of people say than local honey helps lessen seasonal allergies.

central joe and badgerthehobo like this.
  21. fishiker

fishiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I fought sinus/allergy issues for many years before my wife finally talked me into going to a doctor. Testing showed what I am allergic to and the lab created a serum based on those results. I take regular self administered shots and my only thought is why didn't I do this years ago? The doctor recommended Flonase and Zyrtec as needed but I've only needed it occasionally. I would strongly recommend anyone with allergies to at least see a doctor. I am completely honest when I say it has dramatically improved my overall quality of life.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  22. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    The pollen is about done here in central MS. Get you some nice unprocessed, unfiltered LOCAL honey and eat some every day. The pollens in it will help give you an immunity to local allergens

fishiker likes this.
  23. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Doc told me once that allergies get worse as we age. As if getting older isn't bad enough! Never had any issues until about age 50. It's a bit worse each year now...