ALONE:3 myths of Bushcraft

Discussion in 'Blue Granite Bushcraft' started by hicountry, Nov 16, 2015.

1. hicountry

hicountry Blue Granite Bushcraft Vendor

Blog Posts:
    While taking a road trip I was able to take the back seat and let others do the driving.
    Finally some time to watch the follow-up interviews with most of the Alone players from season one.

Three things, three myths of bushcraft,
    sounded out loud and clear to me, and most of the Alone guys agreed on them,
    though each one articulated them in his own words.

Myth number one: "the one tool..." For everything.
    It doesn't exist. A good knife, of course, but bushcraft-survival needs versatility and adaptability for surviving and thriving, living long term, not just a pleasant day in the woods. Other tools are needed, some can be made on site, others need to be included in the base kit.
    Various tasks must be done, various tools are needed, man is a user of tools.
    The worst cutting tool is one that has been poorly sharpened.

Myth number two: " the one skill..." Essential, stand-alone, indispensable.
    It does not exist, skills come in sets, not in singles.
    Bushcraft-survival covers a broad spectrum of needs, food gathering, medical, camp skills, fire, water prep, shelter building, security .... No one individual Alone player had a preferred single skill.
    Because there just isn't only one that stands above the others.
    You need to be ready for anything and everything, head on a swivel, total awareness and multi-tasking is standard fare.

Myth number three: " the one thing necessary ..." In re-thinking the experience, what was the one thing forgotten, or wished for, or wanting to have done differently, in hindsight.
    Again, it does not exist. What is essential for today, what is needed and what works for today might not be what will work tomorrow. Conditions can change rapidly in the wild, adaptability is the key to survival. The dynamics of the "here and now." Weather, health, accidents, successful or unsuccessful food procurement, a lot can change in a day. Positive and flexible strategy is essential. Look at everything as a resource, simplify your vision, get away from the hi-tech dependencies, they fail.

And last of all, nature is powerful and beautiful, life-giving but sometimes deadly, or overwhelming, go out with total respect, stay humble.

It was great to hear the re-caps, full of acquired wisdom.
    Thanks !

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Nakadnu

Nakadnu OBSERVER Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Well said.

3. jeremyctry

jeremyctry Outdoorsman Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm not one for reality TV but I have to admit I did enjoy the first season of Alone. I do wish the video coverage had been more in-depth, or that they would do a deleted scenes episode. Right or wrong I judged/evaluated the choices and decisions based on my own skills and experience and I would've liked seeing more so that I could get a better or more complete evaluation/comparison. I know my plant identification skills are weak, but we didn't see much of that skill being utilized. It would have been nice to see more Plant ID as well as some more obscure or less common skills in action. Maybe they should do a season of Alone where they bring people from other parts of the world/other cultures.

TrespassersWilliam likes this.
  4. hicountry

Blog Posts:
    Plus one on reality TV not always being reality.
    That being said, I never really considered Alone to be in that cheap TV genre.

Plant and food gathering are the most important items in survival, others come close, like security.
    When Ray Mears threw some herbs and roots on the plate and said "breakfast is served..."
    My great respect for him dropped a few notches.
    Maybe it wasn't a flat out lie, but it just was not true.
    Serious food gathering is critical.
    Most of the Alone players were hungry and dropping body weight, not good.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Keyser Söze and Glock Holiday like this.
  5. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It sounds like car repair. You need a tool box. You need to know how to maintain and adapt tools and other things. There is an Ethos to survival and bushcraft that it doesn't deserve. It's just a set of skills some tools and the ability to stay confident yet humble.

6. Corvin117

Corvin117 Scout Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Great post!

7. dustinf

dustinf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was there, and it was real.

See above, and tread lightly. I've never questioned you in public, but if you want to go down that road I will...

8. BushTramp

BushTramp Team Canada Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    hard to argue with that

Bridgetdaddy and Glock Holiday like this.
  9. mab0852

mab0852 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Easy Dustin, I'm on your side and believe I have stated so many times, but I don't think that was interpreted as intended. Real is a relative term. I fully believe the show was as real as the medium/format (being able to actually document it and produce a result people wanted to see), legal, and safety concerns allowed it to be. You guys were, minus the weekly medicals, out there completely alone with limited gear in a real dangerous environment in the most dangerous time of year and generally speaking completely out of your normal native climate/habitat. I'm not sure how you could make it more realistic without killing someone, breaking a bunch of laws, or having no way to actually document the happenings. That said, the simple fact you have to film and make compromises because of your film gear detracts some from the absolute realness of the show (not of the experience, but of the product). In this case, because it consumed extra calories, generally made things much more difficult, and greatly limited your overall mobility. Also, they pretty much set you guys up to have to tap out given the timing and location. They had to limit longevity in some way to ensure they got a winner. In that, they were very successful. JMHO I think it was a win for everybody and I'm anxiously awaiting season 2.

Leshy_apprentice likes this.
  10. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I still think someone in a ghillie suit stole RangerJoe's firesteel ;p

Origional OP made good observations with the interviews.

hidden_lion likes this.
  11. hicountry

Blog Posts:
    Dustin, I gleaned a lot from your wisdom,
    and from all the other players,
    Your performance was admirable.

My quotes are combined from a few of the ten guys,
    Great words that struck me the most after listening to the excellent recaps.

Alone is way above typical reality TV, it's in a class of its own.
    Looking forward to season 2.

12. Waynemanning84

Waynemanning84 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wholly crap just realised your Dustin from the series.... Very cool man I'm sure ya get it all the time but really cool to even know someone that got to go... I'd love to give it a try prolly never happen but I watch the show alot... Not a fan of the TEAMS THING now but good job man you did well... Oops meant to reply to Dustin

13. Waynemanning84

Waynemanning84 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I tried to reply to you replied to the wrong person anyway good job man see above for actual reply

14. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A few of the contestants over the seasons are members.

15. Waynemanning84

Waynemanning84 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Really cool I'd love to chat with all some point.. I'm new here so I'm sure I'll come across them to...

16. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    He still shouldn't have quit, at least for a day or two. Since he had secured a good location and did have a fire going I was surprised he didn't attempt to maintain an active coal or dry out bow drill supplies. He has the skills and I love watching his videos, but I was disappointed he did try to struggle on a little bit longer. Of course the same could be said about most of the earlier dropouts. Seems the true lesson of the show was mental state trumps even polished skill sets in tough conditions. Just my opinion and not an attempt yo disparage ranger Joe or other s on the show

17. hicountry

Blog Posts:
    It was first bow season, when the Elk don't yet know you're hunting them,
    bears and cougars don't know why you're sneaking around in their territory either !

I got turned around and got confused with my landmarks.
    Sun was setting and I was separated from my buddies who went after a small herd.

It started raining and I was trying to find my way back to camp, I was miles away and I was tired from being out since before dawn.
    The mental factor is definitely real,
    plus I was needing water bad, my camelback was going dry.

When your stressed, you mouth-breath way too much and get dried out,
    plus I had to climb up and down some cliff areas and cross a river.
    My mind was full of anger and frustration and I didn't believe my compass.

I ended up meeting some other hunters who directed me back to more familiar ground.
    Coulda been worse !

The Alone producers weren't wrong to underline the mental factor.

stillscout likes this.