Alone: Only 10 items to survive - what would you choose?

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by LokoLobo, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Unistat76 , if you take real, stranded trap wire, you can do it with your hands. Best to cut it into usable lengths before going.

Unistat76 likes this.
  2. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Would normally point someone to a YouTube video, but for snaring I don't know of a good one. You can look around on YouTube, but hard to tell sometimes what the level of experience is of the person doing the video if you don't have any. You might want to try https://www.snareshop.com/Aboutus.asp. *edited for the basics of snaring page at this web site* I've bought cable from them and they seem to know what they talking about based on my own trapping experience. They assume you will be using swivels and locks and connectors, so remember they are trying to make a sale and check your local laws before you try anything they suggest.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  3. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    specifically for Mongolia

1- a custom synthetic (Apex vs down) -20--30 sleeping bag w/ a very water resistant fabric
    2- a very (very) large ferro rod- as soon as I "land" it's broken in half, the other half is squirreled away very carefully in the pack
    3- GB Scandinavian Forest axe- I'm building a small cabin
    4-Silky Katanaboy 500 saw- see above :4:
    5-fishing line/hooks- that stream appears to be loaded w/ trout/grayling
    6-bow/arrow- grouse, squirrels, deer- can you imagine the leg up you'd have harvesting a deer?
    7-2 quart cast iron pot/lid
    8-paracord- various colors if allowed- good fashion up some crude flies when the grasshoppers are gone
    9-multi-tool- modified if still allowed, only need a a small knife for processing fish/fowl/game- provides this and so much more
    10-I was going to say rations, but with them lowering it to 2 lbs (vs 5 lbs), I'm leaning towards wire

they don't discuss it much at all, but your choices for clothing and footwear is critical imo

4. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    @mtwarden , what's your experience with the Silky saws? I was thinking a 500 might be too small, and was looking at the 650. Have you tried both?

A bow and arrow would be great, and a deer would probably be a win, if nothing else went wrong. It would be nice to take a salt block too, for bringing in the deer and for my own salt source.
    But I would have to give up something, maybe the bivy. Never used a sleeping bag with a water resistant fabric. Maybe I'll have to replace my 1983 sleeping bag?
    I like the idea of multicolored paracord. I would still probably make a hammock out of it before I went. Although I do have a thousand feet of black paracord already that I got for about $40. I don't remember if they had colors for that price.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    elkhound likes this.
  5. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    I own a couple of the smaller ones- they cut like the dickens! I have a 500 on the way to keep in my truck for removing downfall (vs a chainsaw). For building a small cabin I think the 500mm would be sufficient, but it probably wouldn't hurt if it was longer. I'm not 100% sure if you can get the 650 in the US though???

They offer some great fabrics for sleeping bags now- not waterproof (you want it to breathe), but highly water resistant. The Apex insulation also provides a measure of security from dampness. I think one of the contestants had a custom bag and had arm holes in it, so they could use it as a cloak/coat- that would be worthwhile considering too.

In addition the colored paracord, I saw some (maybe just one?) that had colored hooks- again after the grasshoppers are gone (soon I'm thinking) a fabricated fly- colored hook/colored paracord, might be the ticket to keep catching trout/grayling.

elkhound, Mick Badgero and schapm like this.
  6. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't know of anywhere in the US, but it is available from Canada at https://www.canadianpreparedness.com/product-categories/silky-saws/
    Silky saws seem a bit pricey, but if I was competing for $500k, I would spring for it.

I will look into the Apex bags. My bag from Montana was not used that much. It just doesn't get that cold here.

Yes, someone did take colored hooks, but I don't remember who. If they are catching fish, they are eating well. Trout is one of my favorites :) I'm sure I will use up some of the paracord making test hammocks. Never know what can go wrong. I bought some 5/16" (8mm) Kevlar Prussick cord for testing back when they only allowed 20 meters of paracord on the show. >5,000 lb breaking strength. And I broke it trying to pull a 4 foot bush out of the ground. I put it through the bold hole on my trailer hitch on my pickup and it sheared on the first pull. It is bright colors. If they allow 80 meters of paracord now and only 10 meters of rope, you get twice the cordage with paracord.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    mtwarden likes this.
  7. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    id first ask who pays for the gear?

Mick Badgero likes this.
  8. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    @haunted , Pretty sure each cast member pays for there own gear. You want to take gear that you've tested yourself in the field, right? A notable exception this season was Dave's underwear, which they gave him, but probably only because he didn't bring any. They did give everyone the same tarp this season.

Unistat76 likes this.
  9. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    theres some high end sleeping bags that have built in bivy .

Mick Badgero and mtwarden like this.
  10. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    ^ I don't know if they would stretch the rules that far, but would be great if they did; I think Pict mentioned they go over the gear with a fine tooth comb

Mick Badgero and elkhound like this.
  11. 3Rotts

3Rotts Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    27103AF2-A5A6-4AC2-9CA8-A81A8D20138E.png I saw this on a Facebook group.

12. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    well i thought about this a bit..i think for mongolia i would take

1. mtn hardware ghost sleepbag
    2.ferro rod
    3.stainless cook pot. mine has a dip in lid(but shallower) like a dutch oven and a pour spout like a coffee pot with wall of pot built as a strainer.
    4.silky saw..either a bigboy(i have) or kantanaboy500
    5.husqvarna carpenters axe...19 inch handle. going there to be a hunter/gather type not a logger.so i want a shorter handle for camp work. all dead trees will be felled with saw.you dont bang on snags.timber fellers dont even like wedging a snag.top can come out pounding on them.
    6.fishing line and hooks. 4 different weights of line.hooks-1 giant hook like jesse and brother had for tool making.the other 24 hooks divided up in various styles from long shank to circle hooks.
    7.gill net.
    8.bow and arrow..9 arrows=5 broadheads, 3 smallgame heads,1 fish arrow
    9.leatherman core. mines modified has rapala fillet blade and metal hacksaw blade and chisel knife carver among other things.
    10.ration of trailmix...thought about this a bit and i think its a rip off of reduction of size.looks like in past they allowed custom mixes.its 2# max it seems, so i want the walmart omega 3 trail mix at 1.5 # with balance of pitted dates rolled in himalayan salt for balance of weight of ration.its not alot of calories but i think i would save this till cooler weather when the red stag/elk start bugling s i could eat it for fast calories to try and get a kill in.its going to take a few calories to harvest and get it home.a had full of trail mix might be all that gets a harvest home.

mtwarden and Mick Badgero like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    1. Modified military down mummy bag.
    2. water filter water bottle purification system.
    3. Salt, pepper, vitamine C, vinegar,
    4. bowie knife and stone,
    5. compound bow and 12 custom titanium arrows ,
    10 aluminum arrows and various interchangeable heads. + permits for game.
    6. shrink wrap material 9 mill. 10'x20' ,
    7.drawing paper and mechanical pencil .
    8. colloidal silver kit & custom first aid kit ,
    9. spotting scope .
    10.custom shovel .

1. The down bag is more than enough to handle cold temperatures , almost too hot .
    2.The water purification system includes paper coffee filters for extending the life of the sawyer filter along with using colloidal silver to ensure bacteria are dead. one bag for collecting water and the second for supporting the clean filtered water.
    3. Salt for preserving any meat i've harvested , Pepper for seasoning , vitamin C for health, Vinegar in the event meat needs to be treated or suspected of food poisoning .
    4. Bowie knife pretty much covers all wood an food processing.
    5. Compound bow does not require being taken down when not in use, makes it superior to a long bow an every away.
    6. Shrink wrap material can be cut into strips an made cordage as well as covering and making a boat, it is almost impervious to UVs and will weld to it's self making repairs or additions, or making clothing.
    Snow does not stick to is and is durable enough to be used as a sled . or bags for carrying water .
    7. Drawing Paper and Pencil give me something to do and engineer things, and take advantage of the available materials for survival. also for record keeping .
    8. custom first aid kit includes usual supplies and colloidal silver kit as well as needles and monofiliment for suchering serious injuries.
    9. Spotting scope is for game and other entertainment. game will be difficult to find at close range ,and avoiding serious predators is critical .
    10. Custom Shovel is obviously more than shovel, the head has a pick as well as a saw in the handle . I have used the shovel and pic option as a grappling hook .

Mick Badgero likes this.
  14. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    ^ might want to view what can be brought for the show

Mick Badgero likes this.
  15. Chris keating

Chris keating Scout

Blog Posts:
    My 2cp I’ll skip the tarp and the canteen water will be a daily activity no need to store it. And you get a 12x12. A stout shelter would be a must and stockpiling of food for the cold months. That being said:
    1. Gossman bbt 6” or 7”
    2. Gb Scandinavian forest axe
    3. One man cross cut saw
    4. Modded multi tool
    5. 2 quart pot
    6 as much paracord as allowed 7 strand with the fishing line in it
    7 fish hooks and line
    8. Bow arrows
    9. Sleeping bag -40 Wiggys or something like it
    10 big ass ferro rod
    Clothes
    Smart wool base layer
    Swandri Bush shirt
    Fjallraven keb trousers
    Danner boots
    Wool toque
    Hestra gloves

I don’t know why anyone hasn’t used fish remains to bait an area and get in a tree or make a stand . Let the predator come to you and thwap. Just my 2cp

Mick Badgero likes this.