Alone, Season 3

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by marbleman, Oct 24, 2016.

1. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The monkey Puzzle would be a great find if the timing was right .
    Apparently your window of opportunity is less then trees with true nuts because the high starch content in the seeds allows for spoilage .Says you can even ferment them and make a mildly alcoholic drink .

It's possible Callie may have already done this .

OMRebel, RickWA, Backyard and 3 others like this.
  2. Swarvegorilla

Swarvegorilla Guide

Blog Posts:
    We are spoilt for bamboo species here. My ol mans place would have over a dozen types on it. Giants, edibles and suave stuff like timor black.
    By rights i should be a bushcraft guru with it.... but thats far from the case. Its harder than it looks lol.
    Got me fast at trimming it tho.

riverjoe, 2jka and Haggis like this.
  3. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's @IA Woodsman

DryTinder and 2jka like this.
  4. Siberian Nomad

Siberian Nomad Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know different people look at this differently but I really have to say that in my opinion the ones who win this are the ones who absolutely minimize the amount of calories they expend. Big advantage to the ones who start with "the 11th item," a good supply of body fat that the body can draw down as starvation sets in (which is going to happen to every single one of them, no exceptions).

Which is why Callie's shelter is a bit of a questionable investment in my view. It doesn't look warm at all, so it's just a nice space to have rather than really adding much to her ability to be there. I guess there's a psychological payoff in having a nice spot to be in all that time, but I question whether it's worth all the effort it took her to build, at least if we're talking about the only goal being to win.

This ties into the above, but I think laziness is a HUGE asset to a competitor who is genuinely trying to win this challenge. If he can take the psychological pressure (which might be slightly helped if he were working on something to keep his mind occupied, but not enough to outweigh the calorie expenditure in my view) then he's better off just sitting in his shelter and conserving energy.

Of course, then he went and felled a tree, a massive energy expense, for ... something? So I'm not sure he's thought it through as well as it seemed when he was talking about being more laid back.

Anyway, all that to say that I think the ones who last the distance are going to be those who find the most energy-efficient ways to add a few calories to their diet to slow the starvation and of course then those that can deal with the psychological factor of being alone (plus avoid accidents). Look at Alan - just laid up in a cave that could barely even be called a shelter, went out once or twice a day to gather limpets, and occupied himself with his mind. Look at our own Pict - went out, caught a couple of fish, if he had a chance, looked for a crab or two, but then sat himself down. Only made a fire to cook, didn't try to keep one going all the time with the huge energy drain of looking for firewood, etc. That's how you win.

Of course I prefer to watch those who make cool stuff and demonstrate skills, I'm just talking about how you actually stay out there for 2-3 months.

5. Pict

Pict Qualified to attempt things at home

Blog Posts:
    Or lead, lead works on pigs.

CaptainAhab, TAD, PMSteve and 14 others like this.
  6. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    No, Alan's shelter was s very good shelter. It essentially a one sided wiki up. Very effective. It had just enough room so his body could predominantly heat it. Don't mistake an elegantly simple shelter as barley one.

He also had his eating station, don't forget that.

On the sentiment about exerting
    rhe minimum calories, I agree, but if they put effort into the shelter up front they can avoid allot of energy use in the future. If nothing else a shelter is s good place to invest calories in the beginning.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  7. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't think Callie's shelter is done yet. I agree it's still pretty porous and needs to be tightened up but I have a feeling that will happen.
    I think there's also the potential to stave off starvation for a long time given the resources we've seen. What works against that is the fact that there is no division of labor. Everything must be done by one person and that does take a lot of energy. One of the things David said last season is that he was working one day to make the next day easier. In reading his Q&A about his experience it was clear that he was working all the time but he was working smart. Not expending energy on frivolities but constantly working on making his situation more livable which included a degree of comfort. Having a well built shelter to hunker down in when the winter hits is a big advantage. Callie's tarp won't be insular like a debris shelter but it will be a wind block, assuming it will withstand that wind, and insulation can be added. I hope she does enclose it and insulates it...part of the fun is watching the progression of the skills as well as the personalities.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    DryTinder, polar bear, Haggis and 2 others like this.
  8. Togus

Togus Echo of the Loon Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do the contestants forget this is a competition, a game, and that there is a huge cash prize? Many of them experience suffering like they have never experienced in their lives. Its difficult for me to rationalize "tapping" out of something I know to be temporary. Any misery I'm experiencing would be fleeting and short lived. I would take comfort in knowing that. Also, I'd be reminded that most of the other people are just as miserable as me. Then it's a battle of who can survive in that misery the longest. Personally, I'd find it comforting knowing a crew of people are nearby just waiting to respond to my call. So, although they are alone in their experience, none of them are really "Alone."

I'll try to not come off as disparaging to the contestants, but there was a young man who apparently fell and lacerated his left forearm. He filmed this incident and phoned for help. The footage of the laceration appeared fairly minor. Yes it was bleeding, and yes it could use stitches, but why not first use the first aid kit supplied? I'm guessing he had already made the decision he was going home before the accident, and that was a good enough reason. He was a very knowledgeable young man, who had lots of experience, but he seemed to be shy on wisdom. His tolerance threshold was obviously very low, and I can't help but to attribute that to his young age.

I can't count how many times I have injured myself in the middle of nowhere. I made the mistake of swinging my axe in the dark and like a dummy I sank the bit of that axe into my left shin. I cleaned and irrigated the wound with clean water, irrigated it again with betadine, packed the incision with some triple antibiotic, dressed it, and taped it up. No professional help, no stitches, no follow up care. And, I was ok. I'm not tooting my own horn, just trying to emphasize a point.

Lastly, I was thrilled to see one of the contestants fortifying her camp to deter a wild boar. I watched the previous two seasons and I'm up to date on this season, and as best as I can remember she is the only one out of thirty people to make attempts to defend her area. I don't understand why this hasn't been done more. So many of them fear predation and for good reason. So many also struggle with boredom. Why don't more of them make fences or perimeter barriers? None of them make spears or other protective devices. I do realize as I'm sure most of them do, that these precautions may only deter entry, but so what. Why not make it more difficult for a boar to enter your site? Why not make it a bit more challenging for the predator? Why wouldn't you want a weapon that puts some distance [albeit only 6-10'] between you and the predator? As I have said before security is really more about a "Sense of" rather than being real. But, It may buy you time and it gives you something to do.

Maybe I should try out for the next season. Would they allow me to bring my inhaler?

9. Pict

Blog Posts:
    Energy conservation was a large part of my strategy. I also went the 11th item route gaining about 10 lbs of body fat between being selected and drop day. I was also running and working out so I had to eat like a horse to gain that weight.

I was just in NYC and stopped in to Leftfield Pictures for a visit. During the conversation with one of the producers I mentioned I considered it a victory that I had stopped losing weight. He said according to their records I had gained weight at my last weigh-in. That was news to me.

Weight loss by the numbers is deceptive. If you go on a total fast your digestive tract empties and that can account for several pounds. I think that's what they were measuring as I had eaten very well during my last two weeks there. I don't think the gain they measured was muscle mass and body fat returning, but rather a gut full of fish, crabs, and kelp.

That said, a wilderness diet is low in carbs and fats. Conserving energy is extremely important. You not only have to slow down and plan your actions, but become more efficient in everything you do. I only spent energy on projects that created WARM-DRY-WATERED-FED. There were all sorts of cool, bushcrafty stuff I could have done that didn't directly impact that core strategy. On Alone it isn't just the energy spent to do the project, but also the time factor in having to film and explain it all. You don't just carve a wooden spoon, but shoot a tutorial on carving a spoon. I shot that tutorial on coal burning a spoon because it impacted FED. I shot a tutorial on constructing a raised bed because it was the centerpiece of WARM. They didn't show either of them, but I ended my days WARM-DRY-WATERED-FED, and that worked for me.

10. southron

southron Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well Pict, I am officially appropriating your

Warm Dry Watered Fed mantra.

I have in days gone by spent my fair share of time living in holes in the ground with overhead cover. Probably the coldest was up on the Korean DMZ. (Even with Mil supplied stuff that was a cold time.)

The willingness to endure temporary discomfort / problems to attain a goal is something just in my nature.

I honestly would fine just chanting "Half a Million Dollars" over and over and imagining how I was gonna spend it to better my clan when I got home to keep me sitting there even in a mud hole so long as I was able. And able means until they come and carry me out comatose on a stretcher, and me fussing to leave me be even then if able.

If one looks at POW and other prisoners, those who survived often spent a lot of their time in their minds constructing their perfect "place" and building it brick and stick by stick in their mind. I"m very comfortable focusing on what I stand to gain from something.

I was really Glad you won your season. I know being able to do for your kids means the world, and not you can. Your the Dad that can now say YES! (I had tears from that clip when I first saw it.)

Jim

vyking, 2jka, DryTinder and 5 others like this.
  11. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    She specifically said that she wasn't going to move into it until it was "fully done." And she stated her philosophy of survival was to create a home. She said in episode one that she wasn't looking at this as a survival scenario, but that she was moving into a new home. She's looking to be as comfortable as possible. How much that perspective changes over time, or what the risk/reward factor is remains to be seen.

Don't know why I didn't notice the write up on her at history.com until yesterday.

Her highlights include a year in Australia, becoming a Dive Master in Thailand, foraging the jungles of Maui, working on a remote island off the coast of Ireland, mountain climbing in Guatemala, camping her way across Norway and hiking the Camino de Santiago in Spain.
    Seems like quite a list of accomplishments for a 27 year old. She should know what she's doing.

WDWF. Got it. Maybe that could be pronounced "WaDWaF." :D

rsnurkle, vyking, 2jka and 4 others like this.
  12. PNWJim

PNWJim Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Did anyone notice Callie’s right thumb? She has quite a substantial baggage or splint on it. Apparently it was not enough to show any details in the show or to cause her to tap out. Maybe she did not get a good action shot of the apparent injury taking place.

I feel sorry for Fowler with the lack of sun but it is likely just the bad luck of the draw. He is on the north side of the Escondido Lake and it just gets very little sun in the fall and winter. His bad feelings are likely compounded because he can surely see Megan basking in the sun just a 0.6 mile directly across the lake from him. Also Britt is just 2 miles across the lake to the SW and Callie is about a mile to the SE, both on the sunny side of the lake. Dave, Greg and Jim also seem to be on the north dark side of the lakes with Jim saying one of the reasons he taped was because of the darkness.

If you look close at the last preview seen in this episode (#3), it is apparent who will tap out in the next episode. I’ll leave who it looks like will tap out to anyone that wants to figure it out.

I posted a map of each contestant’s location if anyone is interested. The locations are just based on the images shown on the show so far. See it here. The contestants seem to be closer together with no real physical features separating some. Especially the ladies seem to be clumped together.

[​IMG]

13. Backyard

Backyard Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm digging seeing more of temporary shelter then permanent shelter as a strategy. I believe all these permanent shelters are works in progress, that will require maintenance along the way. I'm looking forward to seeing them take the next step.

That path had to be a huge calorie burn, yet I think it will pay dividends later.

Right now, I'm seeing more out of the women, then the men.

Playing / dancing with the fish cracked me up. I think that refrigerator idea looks like a nice place for the pumas to eat.

Claiming to be lazy, then felling a tree, and prize money as a focus makes me wonder.

Based on what I've seen, and 10 days in, I think at least half will make it past 30 days.

Enjoying this season.

rsnurkle, vyking, 2jka and 5 others like this.
  14. Zylumn

Zylumn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It would be interesting to be able to purchase a DVD (or similar format) from History or Leftfield Pictures of a contestants complete seasons filming.

A question for you Pict!
    Would you feel comfortable with this.

15. Winterhorse

Blog Posts:
    I'd pay American money for that!

vyking, 2jka, DryTinder and 1 other person like this.
  16. Togus

Blog Posts:
    I'd consider going to Patagonia just to swim and fish in those waters. They look so amazing, and those fish are truly beautiful. Very nice indeed.
    Cold, wet, hungry, and miserable. Get fish, eat fish, feel better, and be motivated. Repeat over and over and over.

vyking, 2jka, DryTinder and 2 others like this.
  17. mica

mica Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would love to see them do something constructive with all that footage. Each person films about 10 hours a day, 7 days a week that's a lot of footage and we only see 10 minutes worth. I'd like to see the show air 5 days a week. 1 show in the current format and the other four an hour long episode of just 1 person.

vyking, 2jka, DryTinder and 5 others like this.
  18. Togus

Blog Posts:
    It was interesting for me to see the fish they were catching. It was obvious they were trout. And, there's much individual variability among the species. Here's some pics of the ones I just pulled from my lake as a comparison.

IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1856.JPG

Rogerkoz, vyking, elkhound and 6 others like this.
  19. Zylumn

Zylumn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Agree on doing something constructive with that footage.
    Maybe a contestant edited PayPerView with a % of royalties going to the contestant.

rsnurkle, vyking, 2jka and 5 others like this.
  20. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    Alone: The Hidden Footage

Pict, just wondering... others have mentioned the idea of making spears for protection against predators. I don't recall ever seeing anyone make a spear (or am I wrong?). Is there a restriction against that?

21. Winterhorse

Blog Posts:
    Larry made a combo spear/fish gig

rsnurkle, vyking, 2jka and 3 others like this.
  22. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    For short term I can see an elevated floor system. Long term cold, maybe something sunk into the ground would be a possibility. As long as it was not a water catchment. And on top of that more dirt, put that shovel to use. Poles, tarp then dirt finishing off with debris.

I get Callie and Carleigh mixed up, so the lady with the stick built round structure that fell in. It looked like her pole system was not lashed and something slid. I wonder what they had for cordage from the plant world, roots or twisted trees?

vyking, Haggis, 2jka and 2 others like this.
  23. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    Ah, that's right. But I'm talking about a thick, 8' long hardwood pole, sharpened and flame hardened. Something that could impale a large, charging animal.

24. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    well said, david, as always ...

vyking and DryTinder like this.
  25. Tanner68

Tanner68 Scout

Blog Posts:
    LA Foothills, PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
    Using the scale on your map, the narrowest part of the lake that Fowler would need to cross is only 0.08/mile, roughly. And that point is not too far away form his camp. That seems doable. Wonder what the rules are about relocating?

BTW - great job on the sat photo and figuring out where everyone is.

26. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I loved bamboo when I was doing my walkabout in SE Asia in 68/69 . In one of the wettest countries on the planet we were often out of water since we always stayed on the ridges and mountains . Learned with a razor sharp machete you could cleanly slice a corm off the giant bamboo and sometimes it would be about 1/3 full of a wonderful sweet bamboo flavored water . I see now some guy is going to start marketing this water althought its doctored up with Bamboo leaf extract etc . I remember building up quite a thirst sometimes whacking for about a half hour before success . Worst was when one would split and spill all that water down your leg .

27. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here is a participant from season one, after the fact. I thought he preped a similar stick on the show but I'm not sure. He had a bear encounter.

28. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Saw Carleighs shelter collapse happen, watched one of the roof support logs base kick out from not being anchored properly, I'm fairly confident that her shelter, as it stands currently will not keep her dry. Not sure it survive any snow load.
    I like the idea (I think it was Britt )putting his fish in shallow pool to keep alive, but using only one tiny log to hold them in? I see that stopper log washing out and his fish disappearing down stream.

vyking, Haggis, 2jka and 1 other person like this.
  29. Pict

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to see them do something with all that unused video, even if it's just a blooper roll. The unedited full length raw video would be unbearable to watch. I conservatively shot 4.5 hours a day for 66 days, approximately 300 hours of video. Much of that is of me fishing for hours on end.

As for spears. I considered making one but didn't have predator sign in my cove. As it was I had to carry my tripod and fishing pole everywhere and a spear would have been an unnecessary embuggerance.

30. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    could have sharpened your tripod into a trident .

rsnurkle, vyking, Haggis and 3 others like this.
  31. jerrymaxson

jerrymaxson Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I noticed the last fish that Britt caught he measured against his axe handle. Was there a size restriction on the fish they caught? Might be pretty frustrating if you couldn't catch any keepers.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    rsnurkle, vyking, Haggis and 2 others like this.
  32. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    So if we consider what Sam and Jose said in the Rabbitstick discussion, that they use about 1% of the footage they shot, that would've given you 3 hours of screen time. 180 minutes. Each episode has about 43 minutes of runtime. 13 episodes x 43 minutes is 559 minutes. 180 is about 32% of 559. I'm not going to break it down anymore than that, but it does sound reasonable for the winner to get a third of the show.
    Unless my math is totally screwed up.:oops:

Makes sense. "Embuggerance." I love it when I learn a new word. Looking forward to an opportunity to use that one somewhere. :D

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    rsnurkle, vyking, Haggis and 4 others like this.
  33. Zivjeli

Zivjeli Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Love the new word "Embuggerance"!

Personally, I would pay for a DVD of some of the extra footage if the History Channel decided to put one out. I would love it if they would show more of the bushcraft skills used, especially some of the shelter building.

vyking, Haggis and 2jka like this.
  34. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    I fired off a tweet with #CallieNorth in it and she explained that in a reply.

Callie North on Twitter

35. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails anatidaephobic Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I really appreciate you forum members that have the ability to figure stuff like this out. I don't tweet, twerk, Facebook, myspace or any of that stuff, so
    input from those that do can help at times.

One of the naturalists I work with doesn't even own a cell phone...that's the stuff I get jealous of!

36. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    I'm not into social media, but I do have that Twitter account that I use every now and then. I prefer places like this where you can actually have more of a conversation with others.

I did make the move to a smart phone a couple years ago. I think I had it for a year and a half before I ever sent a text message with it. It's a handy thing, but I don't even use half of the crap that comes installed on it. It serves as a timer, an alarm clock, an mp3 player, camera, calculator and it has a pretty bright "assistive light" on it that makes for a good emergency light. I rarely ever use it to access the internet.

37. Pict

Blog Posts:
    My girlfriend has me on twitter and Instagram now. I've done FB for years, it was a great way to keep in contact when I lived in Brazil. Good things have come from my FB account. The show got in touch with me through FB inviting me to apply. I also met my girlfriend through FB as a result of the show. She was looking for my website and didn't find one because I didn't have one. That started a conversation that hasn't stopped since July.

TAD, blind & lost, rsnurkle and 11 others like this.
  38. XMP

XMP Mountain Man Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The right woman beat even half a million bucks:dblthumb:

blind & lost, vyking and 2jka like this.
  39. backwoodstrails

Blog Posts:
    I think it comes down to self control and the ability to regulate just how much time you dedicate to these things. The short time I did FB, I found the time slipping by and
    didn't realize that so much time had passed with little quality information gained.

The younger ones really get fixated on all this stuff. At Thanksgiving dinner, I was sitting across from my nieces and they were on their phones texting, facebooking or twittering
    (not sure which). I just started texting them so we could have a conversation electronically even though we were siting across the table from each other.....they thought it
    was entertaining but my thumbs hurt after a while;)

rsnurkle, vyking, bacpacjac and 4 others like this.
  40. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Right on Callie.. Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum..

2jka, DryTinder, elkhound and 2 others like this.
  41. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Welcome Callie, really liking your home away from home. Can't wait to see what additions you add!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2jka, DryTinder, elkhound and 2 others like this.
  42. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    But you didnt say how you spent the $500k?
    Just kidding
    Thanks for chiming in

43. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for joining Callie always better when we have insite from the contestants on the show while watching it. Loved the dance! Ya single? (had to ask) lol

2jka, DryTinder and Callie North like this.
  44. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    glad to see you callie ! glad you joined us here.

good to know about monkey puzzle tree...i was wondering if they were in area.

45. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    damned beavers always creating embuggerance to my paddle traveling plans :4: Thanks for the new word i like it

Feel like i am on a bushcraft special Sesame Street, E is for Embuggerance, one, two, three, four, fiiiiive, six seven, eight, nine ten, eleven twe e e el el el elve

46. backwoodstrails

Blog Posts:
    Callie,

Great post overall, thank you for the information and for being here on this forum.
    Such an important quote above. I have said similar many times on the forum. If you get the results you want, you are doing it correctly even if you are doing it differently than I do.

Now, I wonder how many marriage proposals you are going to have to fight off from this fantastic band of bushcrafters here on the forum ;)

Rogerkoz, 2jka, DryTinder and 6 others like this.
  47. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Welcome Callie thanks for joining the craik, do you have a Youtube channel?

48. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    Callie! How nice of you to stop by. [​IMG] Welcome to the forum, though I am still very much a newb here myself.

What a great post. Thank you for the insights and clarifications. Looking forward very much to seeing your adventure unfold as we go along.

2jka, Callie North and Haggis like this.
  49. HP500

HP500 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Callie,

Excellent post, thank you very much. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future. Welcome to Bushcraft USA!

2jka, Callie North and Haggis like this.
  50. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Callie , if I may call you Callie . We Alone fanatics think we relate to you guys on a first name basis . Thanks so much for taking the time to join us . Us seasoned veteran ALone watchers know that what appears to be true can be manipulated by editing to be almost anything . Thank goodness for that , since the producers have managed to make Alone so popular among the non bushcrafty set . If it were pure bushcraft {whatever that is ) it would probabley be a wild hit with BCUSA and would have lasted one season .
    I think now the 12 th item might be a sense of humor and we can all see that you have that in abundance . This is one of the reasons you've become popular here Im sure . You're craftsmanship is really impressive and is appreciated by us believe me . The alcohol joke was just an oppurtunity for me to try and be funny . Apparently to make that drink correctly you have to drink it while its in the fermentation stage and then spit it back into the bowl . Probabley ok for yourself but not great to share with guests .

rsnurkle, backlasher, vyking and 5 others like this.