Alone Season 5 Episode 10 Redemption Mongolia

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by Mick Badgero, Aug 9, 2018 at 11:15 PM.

?

Who wins this season?

This poll will close on Aug 16, 2018 at 9:15 PM.
  1. Britt Ahart

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. Sam Larson

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. Larry Roberts

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Let's just guess who wins this time!

elkhound likes this.
  2. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    One of the three... :14:

Britt

doulos, riverjoe, elkhound and 3 others like this.
  3. Robert Y

Robert Y Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm going with Sam, solely based on the fact that we have a lot more activity on this forum from the winners of the show than the other participants. That would be pretty incredible considering the amount of food we'be seen him eating. The man knows how to suffer. Congrats to all the participants left, though. They've all impressed me.

4. HP500

HP500 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to guess Sam

5. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  6. OMRebel

OMRebel He who piddles Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I am going to guess Britt, but who knows? Each of these men have my respect and anyone could win. Sam said something in ep. 9 to the effect that he wants the money for his family, which speaks of sacrifice. He said it, but I think each of these three men have that same mentality. Others in every season have also, but normally an accident takes them out. It seems to me, and I may be wrong, the ones who are in because they feel they NEED the money for their families are the ones who win. Not that they don't love the challenge and the opportunity to be in the wild, but that this is the thing that drives them. Sacrifice, I respect that...

Another point, since I am rambling... The starvation game is brutal. It becomes brutal the first day you don't get to eat, because you are not used to it. I have fasted many times in the past, but never beyond 5 days and I always had water or juice or coffee. I had my reasons, and "for the fun of it" was never one of them. I did the Bushclass where you survive 24 hours using your PSK and after a day of building my shelter and collecting firewood, I was drained. I didn't sleep very well so I woke up even more drained. I made it, and if I had to do it again I could. The point is that it doesn't take long for the lack of food to take effect. Multiply that by a few weeks with constant labor and weather exposure, it's not hard understand how confidence can slip away with the tide. Anyway, my two cents, kudos to all who have given a shot!

7. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    i am going with samwise...i think he drops a 'shire stool'... makes it across mordor...and climbs mt.doom for the win !!

Broke, riverjoe, Winterhorse and 4 others like this.
  8. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    If he hammers out that stone stool, then I think you might be right! lol

9. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is still a horse race. I have no idea who will win. I voted for Larry just because no one else did :) I might change that after rewatching the last episode, but right now I don't have a good guess.

Here is how everyone from Season 5 has done so far:

upload_2018-8-10_12-14-54.png

10. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Interesting list.

Do you think they picked Brad for this season because nobody else wanted to do it?

11. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  12. Zivjeli

Zivjeli Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I voted for Britt and really hopes he does win, just because of his attitude. Britt seems to be in a strong emotional and mental state. Britt making the sled shows he is thinking ahead.

That being said, I would love it if Larry won. Larry has always been a favorite of mine. I love his passion for the wild and share his tendency to voice (loudly) his frustrations.

Obviously at this point, any one of the remaining contestants could win. All have strong skills and an amazing amount of fortitude.

In the end it may just come down to who can successfully hunt / fish in the winter. I was glad Britt is still able to catch fish. Even Larry came close. However, one successful big score with the bow and arrow would probably signal a winner for the season.

13. samexplores

samexplores Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's funny... when you have little kids, being bored doesn't really bother you. You're kind of like 'wow, I think I'm bored... and it's amazing!'

14. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nights were short there. Seems like there would be some down time (not really boredom) every day. You did a lot of carving in episode 9, Sam. Could you carve after dark by your headlight? Was it bright enough for carving? Did the battery last long enough?

15. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I voted Britt. I think he's in the best position right now. Had a decent amount of food, solid shelter set up (fire inside I think is a must), and he wants it for his family.

I think Sam is on his way out. I love him to death, but he's barely ate anything. I think he's going to end up going and spending some time in a hospital due to severe constipation.

Larry is a solid competitor. But, I feel like he's working against mother nature instead of going with her. I totally understand being upset/mad, but that short fuse may be his undoing.

16. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    It may come down to who ate the last fish. Everyone is eating some mice.

Britt caught a fish in Episode 8.
    Larry got a fish when he made his landing net in Episode 7.
    Sam has caught no fish that they have shown.

Even a small fish has to be worth five or ten mice. It certainly looks like Britt is in the best position to win.

17. Pointblind

Pointblind Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've severely underestimated Britt and he's become my favorite to win as this season has progressed.

18. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Also, @samexplores , I couldn’t see your knife. Is it a multitool? Could you post pics of your spoons after the season ends please?

And, since you were there... Do you have any idea why those who WERE catching fish didn’t fish till they dropped? It sure seems like a no-brainer to catch all the fish that would bite and dry them. Seems obvious from here, but of course... :14:

19. Top Gibson

Top Gibson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Pulling for all 3....good luck guys (even though I know it's already over)....!!

20. fx77

fx77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is becoming tedious and repetitious
    Basically the fail rate is 90% over the many seasons of the show, and not based on skills but rather who can starve the longest and survive.
    No one has enough calories with meager protein meals. Basically they are all on the Atkins diet , ketotic and catabolic..a great diet to lose 2 pounds per week minimum, associated with dehydration, bowel obstruction, and gluconeogenesis from muscle catabolism.
    Much like people in concentration camps who no only had fewer calories, but had to work minimum 12 hour days hard labor, and no tools, or clothing to protect them from the cold.
    Interesting to see how one sets traps, fishes, makes a home, a cup, and a spoon, but alone they are all dead
    Makes one think that in a catastrophic environmental event 90% of the people on earth would be dead.

Zivjeli, OMRebel, Winterhorse and 3 others like this.
  21. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    In the end, its starvation that takes them out, but most of the cast members tapped for some other reason: injury or loneliness, and some its a bit of a mystery. Never understood why Callie tapped in Season 3. One day she is showing off her nice looking meal, and then she is gone.

The starvation seems to be mostly from the small size of their territories. They deplete the resources and they starve. Even though the show says they are so many miles apart, they seem to be travel-limited to a much smaller area. I think Fowler said in one of his videos that he only had a quarter mile of beach that he could use.

In a global SHTF, 90% is probably close.

22. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Every time they show Sam, I get the impression that he's in WAY over his head. He bemoans the fact that he can't catch any fish. His fish trap only catches leeches. His trot line isn't set up correctly for swift water.

I wonder if he has even tried actually 'fishing' with a hobo rig?

I have a feeling that he'll tap out soon. My money is on Britt.

Steve

23. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Britt is looking good right now.

I think the editing is showing Sam as worse off than he is. They show his failures, but none of his successes. He had to eat something more than a couple mice in the 38 days he has been out there.

24. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I agree. The last episode will probably show Sam sitting down to a big venison dinner with a foraged pizza and side of deadfall Big Mac (with a 99cent chocolate shake and fries).
    With the information we get anyone would pick Britt, then Larry, and Sam last. We’ll know for sure next week.

25. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I hate the way they edit the show. I picked Britt as well but I think it could be anyone's game at this point. I like Sam but they could pull him for the constipation thing. I think we sometimes forget they do regular med checks and probably know about it. I was pulling for Larry early on. Honestly, his anger issues have to be mentally draining and, on top of everything else, I would think he's struggling at this point in the show. As someone who suffered with it, I know it can drag you down.

26. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I definitely do not find it tedious or repetitious if I did I’d be watching dancing with the stars or something equally as fascinating .
    Before the advent of agriculture Humans were always in a feast or famine mode IMHO .
    Native Americans called February “ hunger moon “
    and I’d bet the weak
    old and very young died off in droves .
    Just think even when Europeans first encountered the natives in America agriculture had been established for centuries and still less than a million people from Mexico to the Bering Sea .
    I’ve read stories of American soldiers burning the crops of the local tribe the “Miami “
    Who ended up at fort Detroit begging from the British to prevent starving the whole tribe .
    and this with experienced hunters and gatherers .
    At least they gave them a location where some game and fish were available . Pretty sure they knew this was going to be the shortest season ever though .

27. HunterX9

HunterX9 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’m gonna go with Britt. This whole season it seems like he’s been out there with a purpose. Sure some of the plans he had hasn’t worked out but he’s taken the hit and moved on.

Larry is eating daffodils again and given his fainting spells last time that’s probably a mistake. His behavior has been so erratic. I’d be a little worried if I were the med crew checking up on him. Which Larry are we gonna get today?

Sam might win but I just feel like Britt is in a better place than Sam and more likely to win.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 5:30 PM
  28. StringJumper

StringJumper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I never thought about it from this perspective. While the guys on Alone have "only" 10 items to survive, they are pretty cool items relative to what native Mongolians had to survive with 200-300 years ago. Winter mortality rates must have been huge in the region a couple of centuries ago.

29. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    The native Mongolians and all other indigenous hunter gatherers had knowledge on their side, We didn't survive hundreds of thousands of years on a shoestring. This is a controlled show and not indicative of how hunter gatherers "survived" We watch it now because its a close idea of what we picture it was like and that is intriguing to many of us. Yes, there were times of famine in our historic past, they made it work.

As for Britt's success, it could turn out to be a real thing, but time and time again we are let down by the producing/editing department of the Alone show. Don't bet money on such matters. Larry's anger is also a refection of the editing department, its really that simple. I'm still in for Sam to be the last standing "survivor" Pudge goes a long way on the Alone show.

30. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    One thing to remember about the indigenious people is that they were never just dropped off on their lonesome. True, we have advanced tools, and in some cases, knowledge. We also have advanced softness, lol.

Think of the pilgrims or other western settlers. They took boatloads and wagon loads of gear with them and they didnt start out alone. But it often took years to get from survival to moderate living.

31. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    I bet air fare to Mongolia is a big chunk of change , but if some enterprise would offer “ Alone month , lose 40 pounds in 35 days “ I might be tempted to sign up .

32. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    It could come down to who gets the next fish or maybe even a rabbit. They all took trap wire. Hard to tell how much they have left.
    Sam won't be eating venison, neither will Larry. They didn't bring bows.
    Sam and Britt still seem to have some body fat left. Larry does not appear to have any reserves.
    Sam does have mukluks, just like the ones I used to shovel snow at minus 30 in Montana when I was stationed with the Air Force there.
    It is looking like a toss up between Britt and Sam, and they are both trying to stick it out for their families. Not sure what Larry's motivation is now.

Changing my vote to Sam. I think the editors may have been sandbagging him. But Britt is still looking better in the last episode.

33. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    my bride says britt or larry ...

34. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    The editors would seriously have to have been sandbagging Larry for him to be the winner. Not that it isn't possible.

35. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Be careful of what you wish for......

36. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
  37. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Didn't vote. Don't want to guess, but I'm slightly favoring Britt. Considering he's now the one who tapped with the fewest number of days on his previous attempt, it seems like redemption would be that much more fitting, for him. I'm very impressed with his attitude and demeanor up to this point.

Overall, I'm really liking how this has shaken out. We've got three players from three different seasons on the home stretch.

38. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    See I could do that but Probabley all those friendly Shepard’s in yurts they talk about would feed you like a king and I’d
    Just end up gaining weight

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 7:42 PM
  39. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    I love this pic of the friendly Mongolian shepherds .

[​IMG]

40. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    Early on I was rooting for the guy with the nice log cabin. But now I' hoping Britt wins it.

Jon.

41. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm wondering if it may come down to something other than food this time. If the weather gets really cold, might their clothing and sleeping gear choices come into play? Does Larry have an advantage being from Minnesota? Also, Britt and Sam have young children at home, while Larry's are "grown and gone." That might be a factor.

Of the final 3, Britt is the only one who has stayed longer than he did on his original season. Cold the pull of home and the realization that he has lasted longer catch him in a "down" moment? Sooooo many possibilities!!!

42. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    If it’s cold we’re talking about ,Britt seems to be on top of the fire wood situation plus long term thinking ( sled ) for snow time . Not exactly balmy in Ohio or especially Iowa but you’re right Minnesota is colddddd .
    Britt mentioned he loved the snow so that’s a big deal .

Checking the latitude of Mantua Ohio it exactly the same as my house . I know people that can hardly make it to their car in winter and others who spend all day ice fishing in 10 below with wind .
    I think you make an excellent point on cold tolerance and hopefully they’re all ice fisherman .

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 3:13 PM
  43. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure Britt has seen his share of lake-effect snow off of Lake Erie. I think he's a bit south of the worst of it. There hasn't been as much bitter (sub zero) cold as there was a few decades ago up there. I will be surprised, though, if the final two make it to the "advertised" -40 deg F numbers. Then again, I believe someone here posted that they'd found that Mongolia had a rough winter last year. We shall have some answers in a few days...and probably some still unanswered questions.

I just hope that the last to out tap by choice, not by injury or illness.

44. Zivjeli

Zivjeli Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Realize that each contestant is pretty limited to the amount of area they can move around in. I remember seeing a show for one of the earlier seasons where an advance team were painting markers on the coast line to indicate how far along the coastline a contestant could move. Even moving within the assigned area is made more challenging because of the amount of heavy camera gear that would have to be relocated. Contestants can wander a bit, hunting and gathering, but usually end up returning to their base camp. Larry was one of the few to actually move his camp in season 2.

My point is that in a real survival situation today or for the original inhabitants, people would move to where the resources were better. In the case of Mongolia that would lead to fishing along the rivers until you found an area where the fish were biting. Once they stopped biting, move further along. It could also mean extended hunting trips into the hills. If the hills are where the wolves are, that may mean that is where the game can be found.

45. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cold could be a factor. They could also psych themselves out. If they are hungry at day 38, and they think others might last until day 60, they might tap sooner than they otherwise would, just knowing that they couldn't make it to day 60. Not that I think anyone will make day 60 after seeing the first nine episodes. Right now day 50 looks a long ways off. But those out there did not know who or how many had tapped by day 38.

Winterhorse and OMRebel like this.
  46. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @samexplores Here's a question that won't blow the ending, yet you have lived it twice. When a participant leaves for any reason, are they told how many are left? Are they told anything at all about the others?

47. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Scout

Blog Posts:
    While it's anyone's game at this point, I think Britt is gonna win. If Sam doesn't get pulled cuz of constipation, I think he could get screwed with his shelter since he hasn't sloped is roof yet, or properly chinked the walls. Even if the roof doesn't collapse, the way it is, I'd imagine the wind would blow right through his hooch, however he has a real strong drive despite all of this so he could suffer through, this is all of course if he doesn't improve his shelter and manages to drop a load, liked his stool idea too, I think he'd be better off just squatting all the time. Nothing like squatting down next to a clump of ferns an relieving your bowels, and wiping your self clean with those soft fiddleheads, I'll take that over any Charmin ultra-soft any-day. Now with Larry, as far as I can see, he might actually have some sort of depression or something. Besides his war on the mice, his constant mood swings between two opposite extremes just might screw him over. Britt seems to be doing the best overall, I personally can only really see him tapping if he get's injured. Only the tapes will show who won.

Winterhorse and Mick Badgero like this.
  48. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    If you think back to the season pict won , you would have had a really hard time predicting that win .
    They played up the starvation footage so much and downplayed everyone else’s hardships .
    It just seems to me we’re being set up for a surprise ending . Britt is too obvious .
    Maybe Larry’s catching tons of migrating butterfly’s with that net or something .
    Sams bowels shouldn’t be moving if there was nothing in there to move right ?
    Wonder how long it takes to totally evacuate after you begin starving .

49. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    if i haven't said it before, i'll say it now: sam or britt. but, gee, how many times have i been wrong? if i were a gambler, my bookie would be rich ...

Winterhorse, OMRebel and Mick Badgero like this.
  50. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Now you’ve done it neither of them can possibley win now .