Alone Season 5 Episode 5 Redemption Mongolia

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by Mick Badgero, Jul 7, 2018.

?

Who do you think will tap this week?

Poll closed Jul 12, 2018.
  1. Britt Ahart

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Jesse Bosdell

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Randy Champagne

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Sam Larson

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. Dave Nessia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Larry Roberts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Brooke Whipple

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  8. Nobody

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Let's try this again. More time to think about it. They couldn't possibly show another episode without a tap out, could they? Just in case, there will be a 'Nobody' choice.

I'm voting for Jesse again, for the same reasons and for the last preview.

Winterhorse likes this.
  2. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    I want more information on Jesse. I went through all the last season and didn't find or see any background info on the winning brothers Jim and Ted. I felt the whole season they weren't going to make the distance. If I had seen and heard some of the things they had accomplished I would have had a different opinion on their efforts. Does anyone have video or blogs from Jesse?

Winterhorse and Mick Badgero like this.
  3. 3Rotts

3Rotts Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Didn’t Sam in one of his YouTube videos or a podcast almost slip and say something about day 50? Or am I imagining it?

4. Zivjeli

Zivjeli Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The preview for this episode seems to show Jesse having pretty bad stomach problems, so I voted for him to tap. However, going into episode 5, we really do not know how well most of the contestants are doing. Randy and Dave seem to be eating pretty well on a regular basis but the others seem to be struggling. Larry just caught a decent size fish, but it was his first real meal in days. We know almost nothing about what Sam and Brooke are eating. It would be interesting if the show tracked approximate calories consumed for each person and showed the running totals at the end of each episode.

5. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    No, just a very small slip when he lasted 55 days the "first" time, before the cast members names were released (around 11:40):

M.Hatfield, Winterhorse and 3Rotts like this.
  6. 3Rotts

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Mick, that was the video I was thinking of.

I really don’t have a guess yet.

Mick Badgero and Winterhorse like this.
  7. 3Rotts

Blog Posts:
    Well I just saw a clip that shows Larry getting light headed and maybe falling down.

Still not sure! LOL!!

8. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's OK. I'll just keep voting for Jesse until he taps or wins. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. I can only be right once, but it will happen. Oh, wait, that's an analog clock. A digital clock that stops is never right. What if they get a big freeze and the last two people tap at the same time? Or what if its five people who tap at the same time?

Winterhorse and 3Rotts like this.
  9. StringJumper

StringJumper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not sure about what happened with the deer that Britt shot at in the river...from what they showed us on the video he used a field point, or maybe a fish arrow, to shoot at the deer. Big mistake. Arrows kill by cutting major arteries. Using a field tip you have to hit a major nervous area like the brain or spine, or through a direct hit to the heart...very small areas.

Yet the deer acted exactly like a couple of deer I have seen. These deer were hit, but not fatally, and allowed me/my partner to approach them and finish them off. Britt's deer jumped out of the river and laid on the bank like it was badly wounded. Normally a deer once shot at and unwounded will take off like a scalded cat. Instead this deer laid there and let Britt take 2-3 more shots at it before leaving.

This tells me that Britt hit the deer, wounded it, and was then unable to finish it off. Wonder if the outcome would have been different if he had used a broadhead for that first shot. Did he even know the purpose of a broadhead? Had he ever bowhunted before?

I feel like I am heads and shoulders above these guys in hunting and fishing expertise. But I cannot even begin to compete with them on shelter building, fire starting, and other critical parts of survival living. Guess it goes to show that very few people are experts at everything.

10. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Judging by the quality of film of Britt shooting the field point vs film of the deer it is probably safe to assume that Britt shooting the field point was a practice shot or just a shot to film and not his actual shot at the deer. The producers are often moving film out of order. If he did have string attached to his arrows while shooting he probably knew for certain if he was mortally hitting the deer or not.

11. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sam made it to the cold weather, and I think it might have been Sam that made the snowshoes.

Winterhorse and Jameson like this.
  12. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    This season is 10 episodes again right?

Jon.

Winterhorse likes this.
  13. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Jon Foster and Winterhorse like this.
  14. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to pick Jesse to tap out tonight. Just think he is having a little bit more problems surviving than the other contestants.

He might become sick, as Zivjeli mentioned, and not be able to get enough food to keep him going both mentally and physically.

Broke, NevadaBlue and Mick Badgero like this.
  15. 3Rotts

Blog Posts:
    Just saw the preview for tonight and it says 6 people remain. So it looks like someone taps.

16. craverz

craverz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is what I found about the remaining episodes:

6) Of Mice and Men July 19
    The remaining participants begin to crack after almost a month of solitude. One survivalist's shelter turns into an unbearable green monster, while another takes extreme measures waging war on an uninvited guest.

7) Desperate Measures July 26
    While some of the survivalists enjoy a bonanza of food, others are driven to increasingly desperate measures to sustain themselves; one hunter braves dangerous heights to stalk his prey, while another turns to a revolting food source.

8) Slayer II Aug 02

9) Starvation's Shadow Aug 09

10) Cold War Aug 16

11) Season 5 Reunion Special Aug 23

Note: Edited to add the episode 7 description.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  17. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I thought that was a pretty good episode, didn't show everyone though

Britt was really laying the fish in, but hearing lots of noises at night
    Larry- thinks he may be eating too many dandelions causing suffering from dizzyness
    Sam- seems to like his new shelter, personally I don't think it's stout enough, time will tell
    Jesse- ate too much cambium
    Dave- is deadly with the bow, but getting awfully emotional about killing- I always feel some sadness when taking a life to eat, but not to the point of mourning????

18. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Couldn't tell from one viewing, but was Britt cooking his fish at his shelter?
    Looks like Larry figured out what the problem was.
    Sam needs to work on his shelter building. That flat tarp roof will cave in under any snow load, and just a tarp overhead is no protection against subzero temperatures. Hopefully he figures this out before the weather turns cold.
    Don't know what's going on with Dave. He doesn't seem to have a problem killing fish. He's good with the bow, but he seems to wound more often than kill. Just kill them quickly when he catches up to them, that's all he can do.

Based on what they have show so far, I'm guessing Britt may be the next to go, for fear of the bear.

19. leftovereggs

leftovereggs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Another awesome episode!! Sam can't catch fish and his shelter, while decent for short stays in mild seasons, won't hold up as it is. At least he realizes......Winter is coming! *hums GoT theme song* I'm still liking Britt and Randy for the final two. Larry is stubborn enough to stick it out, but he's suffering and it looks like he's about to go nuts over mice again. I think isolation is really affecting Dave in a bad way. He's breaking down emotionally. I hope he can collect himself and think that position of killing through. That's part of life and surviving for all creatures. The elk is often alive when the wolves start feasting. The best he can do is to limit the suffering as swiftly as possible. Back to Sam for a sec, I just don't understand his thinking at all. Did they not know where they were going before they left home? No fishing kit, no bow and his new shelter is just not up to par for the elements at all. I'm puzzled. Everyone else seems to know what they are in for. He just seems so ill equipped for this. I don't know, maybe he'll rally. Brooke concerns me. I have an inkling she's next to tap.

20. leftovereggs

leftovereggs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Loving the names of the final few episodes. Slayer II makes me think someone other than Dave starts having luck with the bow. Maybe we'll see someone bag a deer!! Cold War.... I imagine Britt and Randy chillaxing in their cabins eating smoked fish and melting ice for water. Maybe we'll see Britt wearing a bear skin sitting by the fire? lol

21. Zivjeli

Zivjeli Tracker

Blog Posts:
    "Slayer II" could refer to someone finally taking big game, like a deer or maybe even a bear.

NevadaBlue and Mick Badgero like this.
  22. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm sad to say i think these will be my last Alone related posts, i'm struggling to watch as there is nobody there who experiences being 'stuck' in nature the way i see it, Nicole and Carleigh are gone and they were the only ones in this group who embrace being in nature, smiling and full of joy just for being out there, remember like Fowler and Dave and Alan who were all just totally buzzing to be out there with that unique experience for what it was (for the most part, everyone has ups and downs), i thought Dave was my dude but then he starts crying about hunting and talking about pressing the button, hope that was just a wee minute of despair that the editors felt like manipulating into the fold to throw some doubt onto Dave, Brooke and Brit seems like they is on the positive but Brooke is on screen so little i am just depressed watching the other people, enjoyed seeing Brit with all his fish though, but the guy who ate bark until he was ill after loosing one fish was just pointless, he knew it was going to do that too him if he kept eating it, he told us as he was doing it and the second he started eating it he stopped looking for other food, talking about his bowl of bark shavings like he has loads of food!!! Really?

I dunno, i am trying to be positive but watching the show when it is like that sucks it out of me.

Everyone else who is left is all talk about gutting it out and struggling on through, they remind me of the exact mind set i get stuck in when i am trapped in my crappy little high rise apartment in the city for too long, you know what that feeling is based on? The deepest knowing in the heart of soul that I don't want to be stuck here, like i am just gonna put up with it for as long as i can until i break (like just before spring this year when i crumbled mentally, at that point i'd have chopped my left hand off in trade right then for even a week in some beautiful nature) dammn what i would have given to have a rescue button to press back then :D So it seems now it is just who can put up with being miserable the longest, not my type of viewing one bit, watching that makes me miserable and i really struggled to get through the most recent episode, it took me nearly 4 hours to get through it as i had to switch off and re-posivibe myself before sitting back down and gutting it out. :4:

Hope Brook or Brit win just for the posivibes i get from them onscreen for more than 5 minutes, but i wish good luck to them all, i won't post anymore unless i am replying to this as i don't want to be a negavibe too :D i'm off now to watch some Matt Graham just to see someone loving being in nature to cheer myself up after finally making it to the end of episode 5 season 5 :(

23. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, craverz. Where did you find this?

NevadaBlue likes this.
  24. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Even if you love nature, at some point, being cold and tired and hungry leaves you just gutting it out. They don't show much of Brooke, but remember how little they showed of Dave McIntyre before he won? The editing seems to just be an extension of bad news sells. Not sure how well that is working. Half of the Season 1 episodes had over 2 million viewers. This season they have yet to top 1.5M.

NevadaBlue, Swampdog and GGTBod like this.
  25. Black Feather

Black Feather Hunter Gatherer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Are there any big game restrictions in Mongolia? Aren't the deer/elk/bear legal to hunt? I don't understand why the people with bows aren't catching fish in the AM, and then sitting on a game trail all day until nightfall. It takes very few calories, and the reward is extremely high. Find a well worn trail with fresh sign, build a little blind, and sit on it with the wind in your face. They could also catch some fish, make a nasty concoction by letting it sit in the sun, and then set up a bear bait. It sounds like the elk are in rut or will be very soon, deer will follow after that, and bear are on the move and eating anything (insert: nasty fish concoction) preparing for winter... now is the time! I mean shooting grouse is great and all, but it seems like no one is taking big game hunting seriously and every episode I'm getting frustrated and left wondering why...

Broke, M.Hatfield, designtom and 3 others like this.
  26. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Setting up a stand for the small Asian deer makes sense. Red deer (Asian elk), musk deer, and moose are illegal to hunt there. Most of the bear in the area are brown bear. I wouldn't hunt them from a ground blind. It would have to be from a very stout tree. And brown bear is not very good eating. Remember that the bear are also hunting while moving into the wind, so they are likely to come up behind you while they are hunting you.

27. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I know mate, it is more my own mental health stability for why i am stopping watching, i really don't need to be ambushed with depression when i am watching a show to live vicariously in big nature, i can be depressed right here all by myself with no effort at all, it takes all my strength of will on the bad days just to keep a straight face never mind actually smile, so for my own protection I gotta cut it out, enough of that crap in real life without it being in my attempts at entertainment and escapism.

10 minutes with Matt Graham and the gloom is lifting, i've also got the entirety of the late great Malcolm Douglas to get through once it finishes downloading, that is gonna be some real awesome escapism and vicarious nature, i remember seeing a few of his shows on regular TV back in the 80's and he is the real deal outdoors-man, amazed he is not more famous in our circles, bloke was a true Aussie legend and the original Crocodile Hunter turned conservationist, probably who they based the Paul Hogan character Crocodile Dundee on :4:

28. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    I asked Sam Larson about black bear hunting on Vancouver Island on his YouTube channel a while back. He said that the bears were close to hibernation when he got there. I've put some thought into it since then. Even aside from from the potential danger of a wounded bear, processing an animal that big would require more prep that just building the blind. You would also have to build the smokehouse. There would be no time to build it after the kill, before the meat started to spoil. Remember Christopher McCandless' experience (based on a true story) with the moose in 'Into the Wild'?

HunterX9, NevadaBlue, GGTBod and 2 others like this.
  29. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    re: bear, if the Mongolia grizzly is even remotely similar to our grizzly, sticking one with a primitive bow would be a very bad plan of action imho

my prediction someone(s) is going to stick a deer- soon :)

I think the “drama” is purposely edited in- my guess is the producers feel if everyone was whistling a happy tune the entire episode, folks might quit watching

30. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    As I recall, Asian brown bears are about the size of a grizzly, but with the shorter claws of an Alaskan brown, but I can't find a reference.

They did show a preview of someone in a tree stand, I think it was Dave.

NevadaBlue and Winterhorse like this.
  31. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ssoooooooo... who tapped??

32. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Spoiler alert! Jesse tapped

Still just 22 days in and half-way through the episodes. The bad news is that this could be the shortest season ever. @Pict ,The good news is that Mongolia might be a great place for a winners episode.

Btw, I think Fred Bear took a grizzly from the ground with a primitive bow. I have been using a compound bow with fiber optic sights for decades. No way I would shoot a grizzly with a recurve.

33. Black Feather

Blog Posts:
    Yikes, 3 species really does narrow it down. That's too bad they can't get the contestants temporary licenses to hunt some more species, it really does take out a massive chunk of the big game potential, which equals long term survival. I did some more searching around and it looks like their bear species is a small subspecies of the brown bear called the Gobi bear. According to google it is endangered and I presume can't be hunted either, which is unfortunate. They may not taste good, but at that time of year they'd be loaded with fat and good meat.

And yes, sometimes bear will circle downwind and be a bit more wary coming to a bait, but it isn't always like that. I have had bear walk straight into a bait with not a care in the world with my scent. Totally depends on the bear, and his mood that day, especially when there is a tasty-smelling morsel to be had.

A smokehouse isn't too hard to prepare, it's the processing that would take time. But you have to remember that Into the Wild was a 1200 pound animal, shot in summer and in bug season. Right now (in the show) it's the fall, and the meat could hang out to cool for days if not weeks at that temperature. As long as you get the hide off of the animal and hang up the quarters in a shady spot ASAP, the meat will last a long time. More than enough to build a smokehouse and get started, not to mention you'll be well fed and have lots of energy during that time.

34. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    When I saw him stripping bark and eating it in long strips, I knew he was in trouble. There's no way your body could break that down and pass it without issue. I understand why he did it - after 5 days of no food, that bark tasted like Thanksgiving dinner - but I sure wish he had controlled his appetite and done it differently.

35. craverz

craverz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Jesse has been talking about his situation over on reddit. He had 5 colon blockages. Said he felt every bump on the evacuation trip out of there. They gave him some abdominal muscle relaxants first which helped a little. The doctors used some kind of meds to clear the blockages, not a colonic.

"When they finally passed, it was a relief like you couldn't believe."

Jesse said he did catch fish at first, but then it dried up and he was hungry. He said the pine bark was "like chewing spearmint version jerky, but it was nice to actually chew something. When I flame grilled it, it was sort of crunchy jerky. But boiling would have been a good idea."

rsnurkle, Broke, M.Hatfield and 6 others like this.
  36. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I watched season 1 because of Alan, period. Haven’t watched again until this season. I tried, but can’t stand the screamers, criers, downers. Lazy makes me crazy.

FISH the heck out of the stream. Spend all day there if they are biting. What else is there to do, strip bark and eat that. OMG...

I think the next episode will see a shelter destroyed to get a mouse.

Darn, I wish Dave would snap out of it. He MUST know that when he is home in Utah, he eats food that comes from poor innocent animals that have been KILLED. Makes me crazy. I thought he had the best chance of making it, but he may just give up. Sigh...

37. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    @NevadaBlue , have to wonder how much of the complaining is the editing. Sure they can't add something that didn't happen, but they can compile all of the complaints to make it look like a pattern. And it may be a pattern. Wish they would show more of the good things they do out there. I know from comments from the cast members from previous seasons that a lot of good stuff does not get shown. I've seen a lot of complaints (from me too) about the editing, but we really don't know what they have to work with.

You're right about the fishing, but Britt did not eat nine fish, and I'm wondering what he did with them.

Hard to compare Season 1 to any other season. It was the first time this was tried, and the tarps were (apparently not waterproofed) canvas. It had to be the hardest season. Sam made it harder by putting up a temporary shelter, but it was a judgement call based on saving calories and not really knowing the weather or food resources there. Going back to Mongolia or Patagonia will be easier for the next crew, too.

38. OMRebel

OMRebel He who piddles Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Here is my .02 worth:

Sam has a wonderful outlook on life, but I don't think he is anywhere close to being prepared to go the distance. His lack of ability of procuring food (or preparing to do so) and building a shelter will do him in. He has some strong resolve, but I don't think it will be enough.

Dave...if he doesn't want to kill animals he shouldn't have gone out there with a bow and arrow or fishing kit. Chicken strips don't grow on trees, so like he said, either become a vegetarian or stop whining. With that said, Dave as all the ability and skill to go the distance, if he can reign in his emotions.

Larry annoys me with his over the top celebration and screaming when he catches a fish or gets frustrated. But I'll give him this, he has some serious grit and is able to troubleshoot through problems. I don't think he will win unless everyone starts dropping soon.

Brooke is likely to be pulled out due to weight loss. She has many bush craft strengths (shelter building, fire, etc), but getting food does not seem to be one of them. That seemed to be the case in season 4 as well. All the same, she is one of my favorites!

Britt has a lot going in his favor and while he admits to not being as experienced in the outdoors as the others, his skill is evident. I believe he will be in the top two if he doesn't get eaten by the bear.

Randy seems to be the most balanced with skills. He has the best shelter and he has had success getting different types of meat. If it is true that someone has gotten some big game, my bet is that it is Randy.

Of course, I have only seen what has been on t.v., so anything may (will) happen. Still hoping the best for all of them!

39. Black Feather

Blog Posts:
    Spot on assessment @OMRebel. Couldn't agree more.

40. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wish Dave well, but he is beginning to remind me of...

31466701_10213821877238577_3119285020229894144_n.jpg

41. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    dave, dave, dave: thank the Lord for His blessings of food and archery skills, and get over it! five grouse and one squirrel in 23 days: that ain't much for a 140-150-pound man. reckon he is supplementing with fish? no mention of cold-blooded game. and i STILL think that is him making a tree stand shot in the show intro video ...

42. craverz

craverz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You are welcome! This info came from more than one website. I had been searching for a decent recap of last week's episode a few days ago and recorded what I saw about future episodes. Looks like The Futon Critic is updated today with the entire episode list.

Also, Episode 7, Desperate Measures, has an updated description available today on several websites:
    "While some of the survivalists enjoy a bonanza of food, others are driven to increasingly desperate measures to sustain themselves; one hunter braves dangerous heights to stalk his prey, while another turns to a revolting food source."

43. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You’ve got to love Britts work ethic . Price to be paid having lots of food though .
    Eating nine fish seems simple to me .
    We ate a lot of fish when I was a kid and competing with two older brothers at the dinner table I learned at a young age how to debone a bass or a bluegill and get it in my belly while there was still some left .
    Usually there was a big platter of 25 to
    30 fish not filleted .
    Had to eat the obligatory potatoes but I always got those out of the way in short order . Eating a lot is a way of storring food too . Some nice smoked fish down the line would be nice but your body not consuming your muscle mass down the road could be nice too .
    I’m sure the producers ask the participants to share any raw emotions they have with the camera and hopefully that’s all Dave was doing . Normally a lot of that would be stored inside but hey these guys are being paid to entertain us ( don’t get a free Mongolian vacation without some drama )
    So I forgive Dave his little outburst now let’s get cracking and make one nice big kill .
    It’s funny we were having a discussion about eating the cambium layer of pine trees at a winter camp out in Michigan about three years ago . I was pointing out that Adirondack was actually a term meaning bark
    Eater so why not just eat the bark on Vancouver Island . A guy more knowledgeable than I , pointed out that bark eating took a whole
    Village to
    Accomplish with gathering of massive amounts of cambium layer and extensive pounding to convert it to
    a digestible form and then it was still a second string food source and the bark eaters were looked down on by the cool tribes .
    I never connected with Brooke like so many others . Seems like she just playing Bushcraft to me . ( Probabley kick my butt realllll gooood in a one on one challenge ) I learned to love Carleigh and it’s still a sad moment for me when she had to tap .

rsnurkle, Broke, M.Hatfield and 4 others like this.
  44. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Never tried it, but you should be able to get most of the soluble starch and sugars out of the cambium by boiling it and then straining out the fiber, just pull it out of the pot and let it drain into the pot a bit, before discarding it.

As for eating nine fish, depends on his metabolism. He's about at the age where I couldn't eat a whole pizza anymore. Once you get there you can't go back. Thanksgiving dinner is just one plate.

45. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just catching up on this episode. Wow, to many complaints in the comments on this end of the thread, right up there with Dave the Vegan crying. Actually I think Dave will be just fine, he ain't pushing any buttons any time soon. Those producers of the show know how to twist a person, that is for sure.

Sam is at it again, starving and hanging on by a thread to the end. His shelter doesn't have much to desire, sorry to say. I don't doubt he is in it for a while longer. The cold will blow right through it, even more so as the leaves dry up. I am still scratching my head wondering why?

Britt, is he hoarding fish which is attracting the bear? Often wondered about all the smoking of fish that is suggested, which will result in bear bait. Perhaps have your dried fish cash located a great distance away and well stockaded. but not in your home.

Jesse, and Dave should have collaborated. they could have shared some food to balance things out. Jesse could have pooped more and Dave could have felt better going the vegan round every other day. I do like Jesse's shelter low profile, the smoke hole built of logs had me wondering if he was going to put a fire in it, no don't do it! Being from my home state I had higher hopes but so be it. Maybe he will come down to Puckerbrush this year and share his experience with us along with Fowler and Wayne from New Brunswick???

All I can say for Girl in the Woods is her crafts may have been better spend on fishing or traps or prep for colder times, more hunting with the bow.

Not much on Randy again, he must be looking pretty well with not much for video gripes the producers can compile against him to trick us into doubting his abilities.

Larry, laying over backward on that birch log made my back hurt. Such high and lows of excitement. His dead fast determination will keep him going but will it end as it did in his first round? I recall watching him on utube with a bum hand and taking 7 hours to do a friction fire with one hand. I would have given up on that after about 15 minutes. And I am not sure I could eat a mouse. Maybe no skin, just dried meat and bones crush up into pulp and put into some kind of broth, head teeth and all, minced broth, maybe still not sure.

I am enjoying how the show is going this season. I think it would be interesting to see a show comprised of all the celebrities that are paraded in front of us, Cantebury, Lundin, Graham, Stroud, and that Bear guy, there must be a few more. I suspect we would get a similar show with folk crying and some making poor decisions but some will prosper. I also wonder how many on the list would actually go for it? They would have to get rid of the contracts between competing networks, yeah that would get in the way, big business won't allow it. Yup, won't happen.

Video on tree bark I made a few years ago

46. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    “I am enjoying how the show is going this season. I think it would be interesting to see a show comprised of all the celebrities that are paraded in front of us, Cantebury, Lundin, Graham, Stroud, and that Bear guy, there must be a few more. I suspect we would get a similar show with folk crying and some making poor decisions but some will prosper. I also wonder how many on the list would actually go for it? They would have to get rid of the contracts between competing networks, yeah that would get in the way, big business won't allow it. Yup, won't happen. “ @Bad Little Falls

I would pay to see that show too, but my money would be on Matt Graham. He definitely has the skills and as @GGTBod mentioned above, his love for nature and the outdoors is evident in his ever present smile and his positive mental attitude. Matt for the win!

47. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oathkeeper762 I'm not casting any votes as of yet for the Celebrity Alone show. I don't know Matt and have only seen how he is portrayed on the big screen. It would be super cool to see though.

GGTBod, Mick Badgero and Winterhorse like this.
  48. 3Rotts

Blog Posts:
    It would be cool to see those guys on Alone but it will never happen for one reason, Credibility. They all have it currently and to go on Alone and risk losing it..... not going to happen.

I’m really enjoying the current season!

Dave- I think starvation is striking again and that is why he is having the mental breakdowns.

Shelters across the board are OK but if it goes until a snow fall I think several will see their roofs collapse. Not Randy though!

49. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As time goes on I think we will see better roofs. Tarps are okay for now but they’re a zero for insulation. We don’t know how far into the winter the show will go but at zero F most of the shelters aren’t going to cut it. At -10, 20, 30. I question weather even the best would be enough without a whole lot of fuel to burn.
    I want to see everybody concentrating on the three basics, (shelter, food and fuel) before the long dark winter drives them indoors.

50. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I met Matt in the Chiricahua Mtns long before he was a celebrity. At the time, I didn’t even know who he was. If I recall, he was on a walkabout of sorts. We were both much younger then but he still had that joyous exuberance for the outdoors. He definitely has skills, he’s the real deal, and from watching every episode of Alone since it’s debut, I believe, that while we know that a certain level of skills is necessary for survival, the winner is often defined by those that can find a balance in nature. And the mental aspect of the game often has defined the outcome.