Alone Season 5 - Redemption

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by StringJumper, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another awesome episode this is shaping up to be another grate Alone. I had an idea keep in mind this is just my glorified idea from my armchair. I wonder if a sod hut would be possible. And drying Peat For a fire. Or if it wouldn't burn well It might at least burn consistently smoky for a smoker. All things are possible when you choose the shovel ;) They look like they're having so much fun I'm so jealous.

rsnurkle, NevadaBlue, Zivjeli and 7 others like this.
  2. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    choose the shovel!

3. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Shovels only work in Patagonia. Or on a World War I battlefield.

4. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    OOOwww thems fightin Words ;) I also opens sodas and still slices Tomatoes !

rsnurkle, NevadaBlue, Huey and 3 others like this.
  5. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Come on! How many soda cans and tomatoes did you run across in Patagonia?

NevadaBlue, Fowler and Winterhorse like this.
  6. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ginsu shovel :) I like that.

NevadaBlue, Fowler and Winterhorse like this.
  7. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    If they would let you take at least a half-long shovel with a D-handle I might think about it. If I was going to the desert. Or on a raft in the open ocean. It would also make a good paddle.

NevadaBlue, elkhound and Winterhorse like this.
  8. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    You should make a video on how well it works as a canoe paddle or a rudder for your reed boat :/

NevadaBlue, elkhound and Winterhorse like this.
  9. Pict

Pict Qualified to attempt things at home

Blog Posts:
    I really wanted to take my machete on season 2 but they said it wasn't on the list. I made it work somehow but I missed having it on my belt.

10. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Pict , where do they draw the line between a machete and just a long knife?

11. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How about a real long handled shovel? Did they have some sort of restriction on the shovel handle itself?

NevadaBlue and Mick Badgero like this.
  12. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    The rules just say "1 small shovel". Those trenching shovels are a pain in the back to use very much. I doubt they would even allow a half-sized garden shovel though.

Fowler did say his shovel worked good as a machete.

NevadaBlue, PMSteve and Winterhorse like this.
  13. Pict

Blog Posts:
    In my case it was right after I asked, "Can I take my machete?"

rsnurkle, Not Sure, Redwalker and 5 others like this.
  14. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    So when you go for the winners show, you say, "I'll just bring a long knife."

NevadaBlue and Winterhorse like this.
  15. Pict

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to duct tape it to my back like Bruce Willis in Die Hard.

rsnurkle, Redwalker, vyking and 7 others like this.
  16. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    :) That would be great. Make sure you are there for Christmas, and I'll add the show to my Christmas watch list along with Die Hard.

17. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    The cold steal shovel Fowler uses can be modified with a longer handle any time. I put a longer handle on the shovel I picked up from Fowler. It was quickly made on may spring pole lathe from a old semi rotten maple plank, I broke it planting irises in some dry clay, it now has the Fowler handle back on it.

18. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup, Larry's back... the bleep machine is having to work overtime. :rolleyes:

And finally! We got to see someone take game with a bow. Way to go, Dave.

Britt with his, "And you can put right on the bottom of the screen how much protein each grasshopper has, right... now." [​IMG]

Too bad for Brad. I was hoping not to see anymore tap outs for at least 30 days, but a week without food is a long time.

19. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    This was presented as evidence that Alone is one of many of the fake shows History puts out. I disagree about the "fake" aspects. I recall the episode with Jose and his boat and it did seem "produced" but not in the degree of fake as Screenrant wants us to believe. Are there other fake issues that stand out? There are the odd noises that stand out and are spliced together to build suspense, commercial breaks just at the most opportune time, but I don't twist it into being fake.
    https://screenrant.com/fakest-history-channel-reality-shows-real/

NevadaBlue, Winterhorse and PMSteve like this.
  20. Pict

Blog Posts:
    Articles like this stick in my craw a bit. The raw footage of the show is not scripted or directed, all of it is self shot while totally alone. If there are multiple camera angles, the cast memeber set up several cameras. They always video the visits when the crew comes out to swap batteries and do the med check. Sometimes you see footage of us and we are obviously not the one filming at those encounters, like my day 66 "interview" when they told me I had won. That kind of interview wasn't a one-off type of thing but part of the mind game of making their cameras on you seem normal.

As for the timing of Jose's boat flip and subsequent arrival of the crew the answer is so boringly simple, logical, and abso-freaking-lutly understandable that I'm surprised nobody has reasoned it out. Viewers can and will spot glitches in the show but they are 100% due to editing choices of our often incomplete footage, not contrived scenarios put on by the producers.

rsnurkle, BBizy, Redwalker and 8 others like this.
  21. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Pict i noticed someone mentioned this season that dave was fishing and you could see him out in river.then there was a shot of him on bank fishing and there was building in background. if folks looked dave is wearing 2 different outfits in these shots and first shots he has a fishing pole with a diy wooden reel.the last shot in question the pole has no reel...its footage of him fishing while in 'training camp' before being dropped off.its a building and yurts/tents in background.my 2 cents and opinion.

look at the weight loss some go through..no faking that...people...god love'em !!....roflmao

there editing could/should be better...but one thing for sure.if they dont edit it to get some suspense and such to catch interest of average joe/jane viewers thereby drawing in commercial money from sponsors there wont be an ALONE show for us to watch.its better to have what is than not says i !!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  22. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Someone should have taught Carleigh how to remove a fish hook! Seeing her tap out because of an easily remedied injury was pretty sad.

I'll bet when the Paramedic removed it, she was slapping her forehead, going DOH!, just like Homer Simpson.

It seems like the population of the Asian Pit Vipers are being edited in to make it look like they are as thick as flies down there.

The area they are in is absolutely stunning! This season is starting to be unique. I like it.

Steve

23. Pict

Blog Posts:
    The producers of Alone place a huge amount of trust in the cast members to create sufficient, quality raw footage that they can create a comprehensible storyline from the results. They hammer us with "Shoot everything". Always shoot beginning, middle, and end shots. Make sure you get close-ups of the work you do. Speak your mind, don't just suffer in silence. Explain what you are doing and why. Frame the shot. Understand the light and shadows. Level the camera. Clean the lens. Check your sound levels. Carry extra batteries and SD cards. Shoot establishing shots - walking away, walking past, walking toward. Shoot B-roll of your camp and surroundings. In short, the wilderness cameraman aspect of our daily activity is huge.

Different shirts don't mean different days. It could mean the day heated up and he stripped a layer. Sometimes we do things like shoot incredible establishing shots of going fishing but then get skunked and catch no fish. Same weather, different day, we catch a bunch of fish and whoop it up with extreme joy, but were lazy and didn't shoot the trip out or the trip back. If they love the sequence and emotion of the big fish haul they may have to put that in context for the viewer by "establishing" the shot with footage shot on a different day. Every hour of the aired episodes is backed up by hundreds of hours of raw footage that they sift for moments of good TV.

One aspect of the editing viewers rarely pick up on is the way they tell our individual stories in relation to the other cast members experiences. Mary Kate hit her hand with an axe... Larry explains axe safety. Justin is working out on the beach... I am laying on a log extolling the virtues of starvation. Did Larry really talk about axe safety on the same day Mary Kate wounded her hand? I have no idea, but I talked about axe safety too and they went with Larry's clip for that.

As for buildings in the background, remote locations often have some form of human economic activity. That doesn't mean the show is shot with locals wandering around just off camera. Quatsino Sound is a shipping lane for the logging industry. Patgonia was shot in cattle country. The Mongolians use those areas for cattle as well. My avatar photo at the top of this post was shot in a very remote location in central Brazil. There is a cattle station out there which is abandoned for half the year and filled with cattlemen the other half. Pretty much anymore if you want wilderness untouched by human boots you have to go to Mars.

rsnurkle, BBizy, Redwalker and 14 others like this.
  24. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    It is footage from him at training camp. They show those images with the buildings in the background with a cloud effect on the outside to tell the viewer they are flashback scenes from before they are dropped off to be alone. Nothing sneaky about it, producers doing the best they can to tell a story.

25. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    then we both agree ..it looks to be at camp,not after drop off day...we know they are just trying to do best to tell story and appeal to a broad viewership...not die hard fans who screenshot stuff...lol...i dont think its sneaky i was opinion/posting based on comments it being 'fake'...its hard to fake starvation and standing on river bank fishing in mongolia ...lol...i seen comments still about pict dumping the pot of water...whats it been 2 years/3 seasons ago...lol..pict needs to change sentence under his name to qualified/certified to boil water now,he has $500,000 to prove it....roflmao

26. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good call!

NevadaBlue, Winterhorse and elkhound like this.
  27. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    What an amazing woman Nicole Apelian. Hard to watch.

28. vyking

vyking Scout

Blog Posts:
    I may be a sociopath but I don’t get someone getting upset over having food to eat. If you kill it, you eat it and you appreciate it. Seems simple enough.

29. Zivjeli

Zivjeli Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We are now 5 full episodes in and I thought it might be a good time for a overall assessment of the show, at the approximate half way point.

At the beginning I was mainly excited about two "new" aspects of the show.

1) Doing the show in Mongolia!

This has really worked for me. I like the challenges posed by the Mongolian environment so far. There is no ocean, no coastline and no big lake to draw resources from. This has resulted in different tactics being employed. For example, there have been several successful bow hunts, although only for grouse so far. Plus I am really looking forward to seeing what challenges the Mongolian winter pose.

2) All of the contestants are veterans of the show and should have been better prepared for the challenges the show present. So far only Brad has been a serious disappointment to me, seeming to be completely unready or just unable to tackle the challenge of surviving in the wild. While two others have been forced to tap, they were both skilled competitors. As in past seasons, I continue to be surprised by many of the other contestants, not really understanding some of their choices. However, these surprises are part of the excitement of the show.

As repeatedly noted in these threads, a large part of Alone is the calorie game. As everyone on the show are veterans of previous seasons, I would have expected better results. I believe this is the first season to feature a two week preparation period for the cast. The extra prep time plus the previous experience is why I really thought everyone would be better prepared to find food and survive. Considering the skill and experience of the contestants, can the lack of success just be due to the different, unfamiliar environment?

I think all of the contestants took snare wire, which has not been successful so far this year. Also, I think two contestants took gill nets (including Dave), which have not even been shown so far. Also, except for Randy, not of the shelters look all that ready for winter.

30. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Zivjeli , agreed! Mongolia looks nice. It reminds me of Montana.

Just have to wait and see how prepared they are for the winter. Judging from what I've seen so far, it looks like they were dropped some time in August.

All but Carleigh and Jesse took wire, so everyone who's left has it. But it just looked like soft tie wire, not real snare wire.

31. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:

Something from Dave Whipple to help tide us over until this week's show.

32. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Jameson, (and Dave Whipple, although I don't this he is a member here). This is a great video!

He also has a couple good videos on axes. Here's one:

NevadaBlue likes this.
  33. Winterhorse

Blog Posts:
    That was absolutely awesome!

NevadaBlue and Mick Badgero like this.
  34. 3Rotts

3Rotts Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like what Dave has to say around the 34 minute mark! Lol!

35. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Also take note, Dave points out that there are participants that show up to base camp and have the same attitude of knowing it all. Once off the green helicopter it smacks them all up against the side of the head, every day. We all have some degree of knowing it all. Own up to it. Recognize it for what it is. I think its Ego. In some deep sense it must have a purpose.

36. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Larry gives us a video this week:

37. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Note that Larry said there were restrictions on the size of trees they could cut down.

And they were not allowed to bring stranded snare wire.

rsnurkle and NevadaBlue like this.
  38. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    So, day 35 and only two episodes left? I doubt we'll be seeing any new records this season. I'm guessing the brutal Mongolian cold will take its toll fairly quick.

39. Winterhorse

Blog Posts:
    I can see the next episode with no taps and then the last one with, BAM! BAM! BAM! Three in a row.

40. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seriously?

(edit) I can add a "Nobody" taps to the poll.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  41. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Haven't heard from you in a long time! Hope things are going well. I agree, I think this will be the shortest season yet.

42. RickWA

Blog Posts:

Yeah, was feeling the need to unplug for a while. Things are good. :)

43. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    There's a lot of "general" discussion going on in the Episode 10 thread. Figured I'd post some thoughts here.

Overall, it was a good season. Definitely nice to see it return to actually being... you know... Alone, after the failed experiment of season 4.

I was quite disappointed to see two of the ladies taken out so early. Especially since they both had very strong showings in their respective previous seasons. Carleigh's fish hook in the arm was just plain bad luck. If it hadn't been for that, she would have been a force to contend with. Nicole's MS was always a factor no matter how well managed it was, but it was tough to see her leave the way she did.

I ended up enjoying seeing Britt again the most. He seems like the kind of guy that probably makes friends wherever he goes.

Overall though, I gotta' admit, this season didn't hold my interest as much as I thought it would. Seeing the familiar faces and personalities was kinda' cool, but I think it makes for a much better show to have new players each year.

I'm kinda' concerned that there was no announcement for season 6. I haven't bothered looking around to see if there have been any casting calls for it. Anyone seen or heard anything about that?

Well, even if this was the final season I'd say it was a successful series. They gave us something unique and endearing over the course of 4 years. I still enjoy going back and watching episodes from seasons 1 and 2.

44. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Season 6 is well on its way:

https://starcasm.net/alone-season-6-already-filming/
    https://www.bustle.com/p/when-does-...-will-look-different-when-it-returns-10095452

Even some talk of Season 7.

Season 5 was better than Season 4. Always room for improvement. I've seen many complaints about the editing (some from me), but here's the total number of field hours for each season:

Season 1 - 5,232
    Season 2 - 8,117
    Season 3 - 13,056
    Season 4 - 10,560
    Season 5 - 7,224

For Season four I multiplied the tap days by 24 and by two for the two cast members. Assuming the video hours are proportionate, that's a lot of video to look through to find the good stuff. Coming up with a way to make the show more interesting when you have all that video to go through must be tough.

One suggestion I have thought about is perhaps the footage can be crowd-sourced to find the interesting stuff, and that would be passed to the editors to put together the show. The devil is in the details. How to show footage to a bunch of people without spoiling the show. An idea is only worth something if it can be implemented. Anyone else have any ideas on how to make this work? Or show stoppers on why it wouldn't?

45. RickWA

Blog Posts:

Excellent! Thanks for that. :dblthumb:

"After all, the network has to plan for contestants to survive up to a year, and there's never any telling how long they'll last."

Hmmm... so they are still throwing that out there, huh? It would have to be a really rich environment for someone to last a year. Think we'll ever see someone even make 100 days?

Mick Badgero and Winterhorse like this.
  46. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    It would take a really rich environment, or for two people to both take big game. Then its game on. I think 100 days is possible if they go back to Patagonia. If two people make it through the winter, then it really could last a year, but that seems highly unlikely anywhere.

RickWA, NevadaBlue and Winterhorse like this.
  47. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    They should contract with one of the HUGE ranches in this country. Someplace with good land and animals and controlled access. Maybe limit the players to say... 5 or so. Give them a BIG territory and game on!

Jameson, Mick Badgero and Winterhorse like this.
  48. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's a great idea! Cows are much easier to hunt than deer!

GotTheCrohns and Winterhorse like this.
  49. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Exactly. But, there are places where the animals belong to the rancher and can be hunted at any time I think. A real long haul show could be done easily, I believe. No need for daily updates. Having it in this country would mean that except for the medical checks, the staff could sit in Houston or some place. Video could be ‘exported’ by radio waves :D and some ‘outside’ footage could be had on med check days by chopper.

A prairie dog colony could mean years of food! :4:

RickWA, Winterhorse and Mick Badgero like this.
  50. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    crunching a few numbers this morning...

sam said he lost 50#..he also said it was his goal going in to not eat much to let his body slow down so it could last the longest..it being his body fat reserves.

so a pound of body fat is 3500 calories..you can find arguments about this on net...but this is the info i am going with so you know where i am going with calculations.

50# x 3500 = 175,000 calories approx...so 175,000 divided by the 60 days sam was out there = 2916 calories a day..now this is only approx as theres issues with some weight being only water and having zero calories..but anyhow this is best we can do..or at least i can do doing Jethro Bodine syferring...lol

with weight loss being fat,probably some muscle and water this might be as best we can do.

i dont know which thread but i seen folks talking about pict weight gaining...jose said week before he tapped his medical check he had gained weight from the previous medical check but the following week and flipping boat done him in.