Alone Season 5 - Redemption

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by StringJumper, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Pict

Pict Qualified to attempt things at home Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They are allowed to announce they were part of the season. From S2 I know Larry, Nicole, and Randy are in.

2. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pict, can you confirm that there are 10 contestants this season?

Winterhorse and Mick Badgero like this.
  3. diamondm

diamondm Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here is the list of everyone in the show....

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2018/05/alone-season-five-cast-all-stars/

The cast members are:

1. Sam Larson, season one
    2. Nicole Apelian, season two
    3. Randy Champagne, season two
    4. Larry Roberts, season two
    5. Britt Ahart, season three
    6. Carleigh Fairchild, season three
    7. Dave Nessia, season three
    8. Jesse Bosdell, season four
    9. Brad Richardson, season four
    10. Brooke Whipple, season four

4. Captain Airyca

Captain Airyca Tracker

Blog Posts:
  5. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice. It's now official. Cool to see Brad Richardson in there, being that he never even got a chance as his brother dropped the ball on day 1.

I'm thinking I'm not gonna' be too surprised if we finally see a woman win it. :33:

6. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hope Carleighs been loading up on the carbs for the last year or two .

You already answered one of my questions ( Who is Brad . ) How about Bosdell? Was his brother the one with back injury ?
    Randy C Is he the one that burnt up his ferro rod but persevered. I’m

7. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Jesse Bosdell's brother Shannon is the one who hurt his back.

8. Pict

Blog Posts:
    The cast members are:

1. Sam Larson, season one - 55 Days, finished at #9
    2. Nicole Apelian, season two - 57 Days
    3. Randy Champagne, season two - 21 Days
    4. Larry Roberts, season two - 64 Days, finished at #9
    5. Britt Ahart, season three - 35 Days
    6. Carleigh Fairchild, season three - 86 Days (medical evacuation), finished at #9
    7. Dave Nessia, season three - 73 Days (medical evacuation)
    8. Jesse Bosdell, season four - 5 Days (medical evacuation)
    9. Brad Richardson, season four - 1 Day (medical evacuation)
    10. Brooke Whipple, season four - 49 days
    https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2018/05/alone-season-five-cast-all-stars/

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    piney, Mick Badgero, rsnurkle and 4 others like this.
  9. RickWA

Blog Posts:

Fixed. ;)

Mick Badgero, rsnurkle and elkhound like this.
  10. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    1. Sam Larson, season one - 55 Days, finished at #9= tough guy,young,more experience now and has 55 days under his belt
    2. Nicole Apelian, season two - 57 Days=extra tough,super knowledge,lots of dirt time in various spots on globe,only reserves are the MS and missing kids thang.no doubt is she gets in area with correct plants she can do whats needed for medicinal.
    3. Randy Champagne, season two - 21 Days=seems pretty tough,but the leaving over needing more companionship might get him,21 days is not the big numbers others have double and triple and even quadruple.
    4. Larry Roberts, season two - 64 Days, finished at #9=extra tough,no matter what folks say negatively about his cussing the dude has got backbone,drive and staying power,iron sharpens iron this guy was driving pict down road to have to stay longer.
    5. Britt Ahart, season three - 35 Days=had a good showing but 35 days is not the 60 plus others have.time will tell..did he leave to go see family?
    6. Carleigh Fairchild, season three - 86 Days (medical evacuation), finished at #9=extra tough i would go as far as saying titanium tough. or silk thats like kevlar ! especially after seeing this seasons commercial of her pounding on knife trying to get a fish hook out of her with a leg bone....if she put on extra weight and has some success in catching calories and doesnt get pulled she will be one of the last.she has no quit in her !
    7. Dave Nessia, season three - 73 Days (medical evacuation)= extra tough...tough enough he starved his self out while having food.
    8. Jesse Bosdell, season four - 5 Days (medical evacuation)=really untested since had to leave due to brother tapping out..time will tell.
    9. Brad Richardson, season four - 1 Day (medical evacuation)=really untested since he too had to leave over brother tapping out..time will tell.
    10. Brooke Whipple, season four - 49 days=tough,tons of experience in the bush,not sure about the being alone for a longer period,her size..she is small..last time she was down to 97 pounds...thats tiny. hope she pounded on calories and can catch calories.
    just a few random thoughts about each..i like them all...we have 3 guys that like the bow(will they all pick bow as item again?)...will we see a bow kill of some sort?

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  11. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    another bower..carleigh has a bow and a shovel..interesting..cant wait to see gear list choices this year...cordage will be or might be an issue.

screenshot-bushcraftusa.com-2018-05-09-12-57-53.png

rsnurkle, RickWA and Paul Foreman like this.
  12. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    carleigh and nicole are two of my favorites ...

RickWA and elkhound like this.
  13. shadowmib

shadowmib Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "archer" technically.

14. RickWA

Blog Posts:

A femalebowman? :p

Mick Badgero and elkhound like this.
  15. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Since I am pretty good at being wrong about this show, thought I would post my predicted tap-out order here to record just how wrong a person can be. Everyone else invited to try to.
    10. Brad Richardson
    9. Brooke Whipple
    8. Randy Champagne

7. Nicole Apelian
    6. Britt Ahart
    5. Jesse Bosdell

4. Sam! Larson
    3. Larry Roberts
    2. Carleigh Fairchild
    1. Dave Nessia

With 1-4 lasting 60+days, 5-7 lasting 30-60 days, and 8-10 less than 30 days. Hope I am wrong and my fellow Minnesotan Larry wins it all.

16. RickWA

Blog Posts:

Not even going to try. There are just too many variables that can affect all the players.

I'll be rooting for Nicole, I think.

Mick Badgero, elkhound and Jameson like this.
  17. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  18. Pict

Blog Posts:
    For the record, I don't know who won or how long it went. There are so many variables that it doesn't always come down to skill and determination. You can be doing fantastic and get taken out by a slip and fall as we've already seen.

rsnurkle, HP500, diamondm and 5 others like this.
  19. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just hope no one over does it just to prove a point

RickWA and elkhound like this.
  20. shadowmib

Blog Posts:
    Carleigh looks like she is wincing in this pic. I saw one clip where it looks like someone (think it was brooke but couldnt tell) had something like a fish hook stuck in their hand and it was greenish looking. The had a knife strapped to their wrist like some kind of splint. No idea what is going on there. Hope that was just deceptive editing.

Mick Badgero, RickWA and elkhound like this.
  21. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    in the screen shot behind the bar showing video progress you can see the fish hook sticking out of her hand. in one of vids carleigh has knife strapped to wrist and is pounding on it with an animal leg bone trying to cut through the hook or cut the eye off it so she can ..push it on through maybe or whatever shes trying to get it removed. looking at vid screen shot i took and the other clip the wound looks strange color around it. it could be medicine she is making and putting on it or something from med kit they have been provided with. i tried to get progress bar from screen shot but i am not computer savy enough so you can see it.

ETA..going back and looking..the hair hanging down does look like brookes...what would chances of them both having a hook in same spot on hand...now i dont know for sure.gotta look closer..if i find anything will let yall know.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Mick Badgero and RickWA like this.
  22. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  23. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  24. RickWA

Blog Posts:
    Carleigh does have a braided ponytail. You can see it hanging down the left side of her neck here:

[​IMG]

25. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good cast for season 5. Sorry to see Carleigh got hooked. She may be out early. Jesse Bosdell and Brad Richardson have already been vetted by the show, but they haven't proven themselves like the others have.

I know they couldn't bring back all those that stuck it out the longest from previous season, and some may not have wanted to try again.
    Some of those I'd hoped would be back but didn't come back: Mitch Mitchell, Lucas Miller, Jose Martinez Amoedo, Megan Hanacek, Callie North.

rsnurkle, elkhound, RickWA and 2 others like this.
  26. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's amusing of the editorial license these programs have. I've spent a couple of days with Larry Roberts and you wouldn't find a more soft-spoken person. When they edit all the footage. The editors pick who they want as the good people and bad. They only use these clips to get you to believe this also. It would be so nice if they did away with all the drama they try to create.

I've spoken with a couple of contestant of ALONE. A lot of the clip sequences that you see, don't happen in the timeline the History Channel uses. They move the clips around as they see will fit the story they are trying to tell. There is enough drama surviving in the wilderness with limited resources by yourself. The History Channels doesn't need to make it up.

My 2 cents.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

27. RickWA

Blog Posts:

Yeah, I find the Dan Wowak I see on his Youtube channel to be quite a different (more likeable) person than the one I saw on Alone.

28. shadowmib

Blog Posts:
    This is true. One of my friends was on that "Doomsday Preppers" show and they followed her around filming her for 3 weeks, and cherry picked the wackiest 15 minutes which they edited together to make her out like some kind of nutcase.. They even had her lie about the reason she was preparing (instead of major hurricane, they had her say it was for "global oil shortage") then has some "experts" say her plan was stupid and unrealistic. Alone is a bit tricky with editing but at least then don't completely screw over the contestants.

29. Pict

Blog Posts:
    The truth is they can't show what we didn't actually do. Editing can alter perception but not substantial reality. They can never show the totality of what we did over the course of 2+ months of filming hours a day.

LongAgoLEO, Gumbi, rsnurkle and 8 others like this.
  30. shadowmib

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I think for the whole season, you maybe were on screen for a total of an hour or so. So if you filmed like 5 hours a day that was over 330 hours of video for them to cherry pick for the show, which is like a .33% of the footage and like .001% of your actual time walking around doing stuff.

31. shadowmib

Blog Posts:
    Regarding this. I checked out some other footage and its definitely Carleigh with the fish-hook in her hand, and it looks like a big one too. Here's a snapshot showing it in her hand. I am suspecting that she might be the one on the stretcher they showed them carting out. I am sure she is OK by now but that really sucks.
    I actually had already eliminated Brooke because she uses a different material to tie off her braids than carleigh does, then I went to check this still to confirm and clearly saw the hook.
    carlieghhook.JPG

32. samexplores

samexplores Scout

Blog Posts:
    First, I want to thank you guys for keeping me fully entertained over the past few months! Reading your theories has been a lot of fun and has kept me going. I won't be participating in any season 5 related discussions until the time is right, but I will definitely be watching this space!

Second, I have to say that I don't see eye to eye with mitch on about 90% of what he says about ALONE in this video. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, especially someone in my ALONE brotherhood, but there are a couple of points that stand out in my mind (I watched this video a week ago during a slow morning of turkey hunting). When he speaks about using a camera tripod bag for foraging: that was strictly against show rules, at least during our season. No camera gear was to be repurposed for anything other than filming. Additionally, we were not given the ok to eat the bivalves. We were told by the producers that they could carry red tide, although our consultant told us that he "would eat them." I actually found a sign at my location that said the area had been tested, and red tide had indeed been found in the bivalves. Was the sign 10+ years old? Maybe, but I had a pregnant wife at home, and to chance that would be beyond stupid.

Again, thanks to all of you and enjoy the show

33. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    said it before will say it again to you....dont you quit samwise gamgee !!!!! we seen you made of metal in past,we want to see it again...to mordor and mt.doom we go !..lol

rsnurkle, Mick Badgero and chndlr04 like this.
  34. shadowmib

Blog Posts:
    Hey Sam! Thanks for chiming in. Didn't know you were on here as well. I know you guys are gagged from talking about the show, but if you are not in at least the top 4 of the show I will be highly surprised. I was pegging Carleigh for being a late finisher, but if I go by the previews, it looks like she gets taken out early due the the fishhook incident, though that could be the editors messing with us too. Can't wait until it hits the air.

35. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can't wait for this season to start! Last season with the teams was a huge disappointment to me and think being alone is where your really tested. I am rooting for you Sam just try to catch fatter mice this time around huh lol

36. shadowmib

Blog Posts:
    I know some people have been hanging out with Nicole learning plants. Maybe Sam will make a salad.

37. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ala mouse

Mick Badgero likes this.
  38. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  39. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last season with duos was a twist (that I did not prefer, but I am a nobody). This season with experienced people is a twist that will be completely different. Sam, this time did you bring {oops, I can't ask}.

elkhound likes this.
  40. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    his choices are interesting.....

Here are the ten items Sam selected to bring on his survival journey to Mongolia:

1. Saw
    2. Axe
    3. Pot
    4. Ferro rod
    5. Multitool
    6. Food Ration
    7. Food ration
    8. Sleeping bag
    9. Paracord
    10. Trapping wire

rsnurkle, Mick Badgero and marbleman like this.
  41. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    dont know how to do a fancy spread sheet on computer..i am old school with pencil and paper..lol

10 people for 100 items

food ration=11
    sleeping bag=10
    ferro rod=10
    pot=9
    fishing line and hooks=9
    saw=9
    trapping wire=8
    knife=8
    bow and arrows=7
    axe=6
    multi-tool=4
    paracord=4
    gill net=2
    canteen=2
    frying pan=1

rsnurkle and Mick Badgero like this.
  42. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Interesting.... I was looking at the numbers @elkhound posted and they didn't agree with what I had put together last night. I rechecked and found that Larry's list had changed a bit. Last night he had a bow and arrows and an axe. Now, in their place he has paracord and a second set of rations. I wonder if History will be changing anything else?

43. Diogenes2000

Diogenes2000 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks got that breakdown, @elkhound

Surprised at the amount of trapping wire. Has anyone actually successfully caught game with wire so far? I've mostly seen fails.

rsnurkle, Mick Badgero and elkhound like this.
  44. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    i'm surprised by the number who chose archery tackle AND snare wire. the wire can be used for many non-snare tasks, but the bows and arrows? must be a major fauna change at mongolia site ...

rsnurkle, Mick Badgero and elkhound like this.
  45. Ullr-North

Ullr-North Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wonder how much information is given to the contestants about fish and game resources before they arrive on site.

I also wonder if they can take alot of items and then pare it down to 10 once they have a local orientation or do you have to have an unchangeable 10 item list before you leave home?

Alot of bows and arrows. How much game is open season? How much is protected? Be nice to see someone get a major protein score this season.

Trapping wire vs snare wire. The 10 item lists state trapping wire. To me trapping wire is the heavy gauge stiff wire that you attach your metal traps to a ground stake or tree (similar to the wire you tie rebar together with). Not ideal for snares.

I see from the equipment lists that Sam is the only contestant NOT to choose fishing line and hooks. In seasons 1-4 they were either on the ocean or a large lake. Maybe no large body of water this time.
    If only small streams then maybe gut some paracord (which he chose) for fishing line and improvise a hook or gorge. It may have been a smart move on Sam's part allowing him a second food ration on his 10 items.

I'm cheering for you Sam.

46. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    i am glad you pointed this out.because last night when looking at lists i thought i had counted 8 bows but when i done list today there was only 7...i thought i had gone crazy...lol...must have been data entry wrong by histories computer site person.

the wire in past i seen has been traditional trapping wire as well as other type wire,randy had some thin looking wire and baird brothers had thin looking SS wire as well as very small copper looking wire.so in past theres been some wiggle room it seems.

i was surprised sam doesnt have a knife of fishing gear as well...will be see him go full on primitive?

with so many bows theres gotta be a chance at getting something for that many to choose them. depending where this is at it seems theres alot of birds.i.e. ducks and geese.

so far i am liking dave nessia choices.....i hope they get gear list up and see if there were changes to options they could take.with one exception being no saw.those dead standing trees we seen in commercial could be a head knocker if fell with an axe.i would want to cut them down with a saw.timber cutters dont even like knocking wedges in on snags because of falling debris. but daves choices of fishing line/hooks,bow and arrows and gill net might get alot of calories.him and nicole are only ones with gill net.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  47. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Interesting.
    We know that Carleigh gets caught on a fish hook. But this could be the producer messing with us, and it could be day 127.
    We also can be pretty sure Sam did NOT get caught by a fish hook, since he didn't take any with him.
    Also, on the commercial, I'm pretty sure Dave Nessia's shelter was made from serious logs, and he did not take a saw.
    Now I wish I hadn't deleted the recording. Still three weeks to go...

rsnurkle and Winterhorse like this.
  48. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
  49. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Also not wanting to throw anyone under the bus for giving anything away, but Girl in the Woods is way too happy not to have won. I hope the 'final four' are the best from the previous seasons: Sam, Larry, Carleigh and Brooke.

50. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Scout

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
    If I were producing this show, I'd look for locations where people could reasonably succeed in hunting with a bow and arrow, because that will create some killer footage.

As much as I like this show, it's always important to remember that it is entertainment first.

Jameson likes this.