Alone Season 5 - Redemption

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by StringJumper, Aug 17, 2017.

1. designtom

designtom Scout

Blog Posts:
    my 2 cents.

I grew up listening to my Grandfathers stories about surviving the Great Depression. Salt licks weren't exactly rare. I see on one set of rules (for a different season), that 3lbs of salt is one of the possible items. https://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list . If you can build your shelter, avoid injuries, anybody who's harvesting a large animal every two weeks definitely has to have a leg up in the competition. The fat alone would have me seriously weighing my options with a 3lb salt lick.

Down vs synthetic. We might be learning something from watching the show. At least one contestant had a -20 F Wiggy's synthetic bag on their first try, and is bringing down this time.

I'm hoping the para cord choice by many of the contestants is worth losing 10% of their choices. With wire, and fishing line in so many packs, it looks like a lower priority need.

I like Silky saws. I've never broken one. I've broken other brands though.

Gill nets. Going to be watching that.

Ice fishing. If you didn't bring an ax, that's going to be interesting.

Ferro rods: as mentioned before, handles / lanyards?

I think supplies of firewood are going to be more important. I'm wondering if anybody is going to create spike camps so that they have options to get wood from a larger area?

Fishing in the beginning ........ but then what? I think the most competent trappers in the bunch will end up winning.

2. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Zivjeli , good post, but the link you gave does not take me to a Danish version of Alone.

Sticks N' Stones and Winterhorse like this.
  3. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    @designtom , spot on for all your comments. Exact location might make a difference in whether trapping or hunting is better, also as I mentioned before, they do not appear to be taking real trapping wire.

They let you talk the salt block, but no one does, so maybe it is not legal in Patagonia or Mongolia. It would be a good thing to take with the bow and arrows, and you could scrape some of it off for yourself. Lots of salt available on Vancouver Island, but none at the other sites for cooking.

I have also wondered at why no one has taken the beans, lentils and peas as a ration. You can sprout them for added vitamins. Another trick they used during the Depression.

4. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Do you mean lists of what gear they ultimately chose as of the moment they handed over their bags for inspection?? I don't subscribe to the History channel so get all my Alone news from you guys! I'm confused! I thought I knew what we were getting into! LOL!

Are there still 2 lists missing or am I missing something?

5. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    The list of gear that each cast member chose is up on Youtube. The gear list that is on the History web site is from Season 4, and is wrong for Season 5.

Why wrong? In Season 4, each cast member took a knife, a ferro rod and a sleeping bag that did not count as their ten items. Then each team chose ten items and had to divide them five and five. So each really had eight items by the old count. But tarps were not given to them and they had to choose a tarp as one of their items, so also by the old count, the for first three seasons they really had 12 items each. Depends very much on what they (or you) want to count.

The gear list for Season 5 appears to be closer to those for season 2 or 3, but at this point, we don't know everything they could have chosen, but didn't. It looks like they were given tarps that didnb't count towards the ten items, but we don't know how many or what size. We can guess that they are two tarps, a 20' x 20' and a 10' x 10' (6m x 6m and 3m x 3m), like the first few seasons, but it is only a guess. Also, Season 1 tarps were canvas, and I think for Seasons 2 and 3 they switched to plastic, but I don't know for sure. Maybe @Pict or @Fowler knows?

6. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    @bacpacjac i missed posting the last 2 folks....here they are...

also gear list was the gear list for this season of all possible choices they had to pick from not what they picked.

7. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Had Carliegh had a multi tool with cutters she could have removed the hook much easier. A multi tool is something I carry in my EDC bag. I have one in the car and one in the truck. I have one on the 4 wheeler and one on the Side by side. On a normal day trip in the woods, I don't usually carry one. But put me in a survival situation and I would chose one.

8. LatinForLiar

LatinForLiar Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Has there been any word about people who were approached to be on the Redemption show, but refused? I'm sure the producers would have liked to see someone like Jose or Lucas. I'm curious whether they were offered?

elkhound and Sticks N' Stones like this.
  9. Zivjeli

Zivjeli Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree that the plier / cutter option on a multi tool could be very useful. I also think Fowler (season 3 winner) really used the file on his multi tool to sharpen his other tools.

10. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think in their youtube channels Joe Robinet said he wasn't selected, and Mitch Mitchell chose not to apply. Haven't heard of any others.

Mick Badgero and Winterhorse like this.
  11. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    When Carleigh is talking about tapping out there appears to be the D handle of a spade holding up the rear of her shelter. Nothing like that on her 10 item video. Wonder if the contestants were supplied a shovel/spade this season?

12. Burncycle

Burncycle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. Depending on how early winter arrives, the temptation to stay in the shelter will be strong with some. It's a mixed bag... food preservation gets relatively easy, as well as knowing where to place the traps (so long as you're not socked in with snow)... but then routinely checking the traps would be more difficult. Since I've zero experience bow hunting or trapping, I think I'd be in trouble, and would have no choice but to push hard for fishing early on -- but like you said, then what? Depending on how deep the stream is that may not be an option for too long.

I think it comes down to how Dave handled things -- get to know your area and just keep trying till you figure out how to make it produce for you...

Too bad a chicken can't count as an item :D

13. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm so glad she didn't have one, because she said "hospitals just cut the eye off" which is not true, not before popping the barb out first. In fact I was freaking out watching her do it with the knife because it was so deep and pulling in, she didn't have the barb out and was trying to chop off the eye and the hook would have gone in.

14. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    that was sad.....

Gumbi, leftovereggs, BBizy and 4 others like this.
  15. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well I was wrong 'bout my guess with Carleigh holding out to the last three and then getting the hook in her hand. What a shame.

16. designtom

designtom Scout

Blog Posts:
  17. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Carliegh is an excellent basket maker. Wonder if she could have made a landing net somehow? Maybe with a forked branch and a net weaved between the fork. Would have been real bushcrafty!

18. LatinForLiar

LatinForLiar Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I don’t think that the situation in this video is comparable. In this video, the barb is barely engaged, and it’s in a soft fleshy part of the finger. Carleigh’s was embedded far deeper and was in a part of the hand that’s dense with tendons, bones Etc.

19. Fowler

Fowler Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What a bummber :( for want of a multi tool just a bummer. I wonder if left to its own the hook would come out after a week the way a sliver dose.

20. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    looks like they backed it out same way as in vid..only they used a 'set of pliers'....wonder if she could have done that with a multi tool? i think so...but who knows,i wasnt there only she was and it was her call....sad,very sad to see her go so soon..

21. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:

so now they have a 1 in 9 chance to win $500,000...better than lottery for sure.

sam starting out...he will get tougher as he gets a few days under his belt...dudes tougher than many give him credit...my 2 cents

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  22. 3Rotts

3Rotts Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ok it’s Friday, I’m having a few beers and watching the first episode.

Sam: crying on day one is not a good indication of strong mental fortitude.

Carliegh: simply bad luck but I think the fact she stuck it out until the next day says a ton.

I think I am going to stick with my original vote: Larry for the win.

Mick Badgero, Jameson and Winterhorse like this.
  23. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    I suspect Larry will have some emotional stuff going on as well.

24. StringJumper

StringJumper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunate for Carleigh...I know the technique for removing a fish hook, and I suspect Carleigh knows it as well, but based on the video, and her description, the hook went deep and wrapped around/in the thumb tendon. To yank it out would have ruptured the tendon causing even more damage, perhaps permanent.

She did the right thing, painful as it was, to tap out.

rsnurkle, Fowler, Winterhorse and 3 others like this.
  25. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And here we go... season 5. Lots of nostalgia welling up as I started watching episode 1, having been a fan of the show since the very beginning.

Really tough break for Carleigh. Almost as bad as Mary Kate's axe cut in season 2. So sad to see that happen, but I agree with @3Rotts, toughing it out for a day showed a lot of grit.

Looking forward to the intros of the rest of the players.

Fowler, elkhound, Crew340 and 3 others like this.
  26. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So I have to ask...I generally don't like "reality" tv. Especially the Gonzo survival varieties where "professionals" demonstrate dramatic "survival skills" that actually would be counterproductive to survival in a real down and dirty situation. Personally, I'd rather just watch a tv show of someone conserving energy and making wise energy expenditure decisions to truly survive and get themselves from "lost" to "found" safely. That said, I totally understand that isn't the kind of artificial, forced drama that brings in ratings like "Naked and Afraid" etc.

So since I've seen this thread keeping getting bumped I'm wondering if this "Alone" show has non-drama scripted content? I watch more youtube than TV, and if I recall Mitch from Native Survival was a contestant, and I used to dig his channel. Is Alone good, practical woodsmanship, or Gonzo self-proclaimed survival experts with overly-dramatic methods hammed up for the camera? Somewhere in the middle?

I've never seen an episode (rarely watch any television produced after the 90s, haha), and I wonder if Alone may be worth checking out on Netflix or something.

What do you guys think? Seems a lot of you are watching.

27. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been watching it for 5 seasons, worth a look and you just might get hooked.

28. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    It's the only "survival" show I watch. There are some that think it scripted, it can't be, but the editing team may tweak things from time to time. Too bad we couldn't see more of the participants, more extended footage. Give it a try. I don't think it available on Netflix. I view it on Amazon but there are a bunch of other places to pick it up.

29. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nothing is scripted. Some of the shows are better than others, as with all shows. Some of what they show is bushcraft, some is wilderness living, some is personal drama of the crew, such as Mitch leaving because his mother had cancer. Each of the cast might film a thousand hours and they have to condense it down to forty minutes or so, so they do cut out most of the boring, everyday stuff. They also cut out some of the good stuff,
    like "Lucas finds a shell midden",

or "Jose finds sea snails",
    where he made a tool from a piece of old logging chain.
    Fowler set a bunch of primitive traps when he was on, most of which got cut.

It is available on Amazon. Don't know about Netflix.

30. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Its the only survival show I watch. I liked Survivorman when it was on. The rest are pretty much garbage.

31. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    It really isn't survival in the sense that they aren't trying to be found. More like who can camp the longest with limited supplies. While the drama isn't scripted, it does seem like the producers choose to use the tape of the drama more than anything. Many here would like to see much more of the how-to, and less of the drama. If you choose to watch the show take it for what it is, not what you want it to be. And remember just because we didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. I don't have television, and this is the only show that I go out of my way to watch.

A google of 'alone show dailymotion' should find you many past episodes.

Fowler, elkhound, Zivjeli and 2 others like this.
  32. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Haha, thanks all! I just watched the first couple episodes of season 1 of alone streaming through Amazon. It does seem pretty "hammed up" (that's just the way tv goes. It is what it is).

But I have a plan. I'm watching it with the girlfriend so even if the artificial drama annoys me somewhat, I can make snide remarks to her and it is still somewhat "entertaining." That's what tv is for I guess.

That said there have also been some interesting moments mixed in along with with all the dramatized "ratings getter" moments which kind of tune me out.

So far all I can say it's better than most stuff on TV. We'll keep on with it until it gets too over the top to watch.

Fowler, Winterhorse and Crew340 like this.
  33. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hi, does this mean you could take say, 18 or 20 items and decide after the orientation, or maybe trade items with other cast members?

Fowler, Jameson and Winterhorse like this.
  34. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  35. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  36. Pict

Pict Qualified to attempt things at home Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You have until the night before drop day to finalize your pack, so it is wise to bring the things you consider taking and make the final decision during orientation. At least on season 2 they shipped our gear to the island and cleared it all through customs so anything additional would have to be in your suitcase. There was some horse trading of gear between the cast. They did a final gear check and took our packs toward the end of orientation. It is a lot of work for them and after that official gear check the ten items are pretty well set. They aren't nazi's about it, but the last call on substitutions is up to the survival consultants.

37. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    dave, would/could a hemostat/clamp be a fair addition to the first-aid kit, or would it be contraband? it seems limited in application (medical and fly-tying) and could be a life-saver if an artery were cut. carleigh's situation brought it to mind ...

38. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Pict. Nice to know what has and could be done. I have made no secret of the fact that I want to be on the show. Not that I have applied for the show yet. My wife is not supportive, I have a good full-time job, and at 58, I am at the high end of the age for being on the show, but if any of these change, I will definitely apply. I could get by with the same ten items at all of the three locations so far. As you said, after the necessities, there is not much wiggle room. But there are one or two that could be tweaked.

Fowler and Winterhorse like this.
  39. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Btw, Pict, Fowler mentioned a champions season of Alone in one of his videos. Don't know if this was wishful thinking on his part, but it makes sense. After Season 5, they will have six people already who qualify. Have they talked to you about a winners season? Would you go again if they did?

40. Pict

Blog Posts:
    It was one of the ideas they kicked around for a switch-up for season four. I'd go again if they wanted to do a winners show.

rsnurkle, Fowler, HP500 and 6 others like this.
  41. Pict

Blog Posts:
    A hemostat might come in handy. They did provide us with a tourniquet that I carried in my jacket every day.

rsnurkle, Fowler, M.Hatfield and 5 others like this.
  42. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to seeing you on the show again. Hope they go to two seasons a year by going back and forth between the northern and southern hemispheres, Like they did for Seasons 2, 3 and 4. Season 5 was a long time coming:)

43. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fowler, Winterhorse and Mick Badgero like this.
  44. HP500

HP500 Guide

Blog Posts:
    If they did a winners show, the production staff better have a lot of extra socks and underwear for themselves because I think you guys would be there a long time! :D

45. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree with @HP500. A winners season would not be just two or three months, unless they picked a really hard location like the tundra or the desert.

Fowler and Pict like this.
  46. Zivjeli

Zivjeli Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think I had just referred to clips of the Danish version of Alone in my post and then added a link to another video that I thought was interesting (not really pertaining to anything about bushcraft). However, here is a link to the Danish version

rsnurkle, sea6ear, Fowler and 3 others like this.
  47. Pict

Blog Posts:
    LOL - I'm not worried about the production staff.

rsnurkle, Fowler, Winterhorse and 5 others like this.
  48. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Zivjeli. I watched episode 1 with no comprehension at all :) Looks like Rosetta Stone discontinued their Danish language program a few years ago. Also looks like they actively discourage eBay from allowing their software to be resold there. I'll try to watch a few more episodes, but only as long as it looks like I can get something out of what they show. Might as well have the sound muted.

49. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    LOL, OK, S1E4, 11:45-13:45 I don't need a translator. They don't use the beeps there like they do here.

Fowler, Winterhorse and Jameson like this.
  50. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    They don't censor the same body parts either. :55:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Mick Badgero and Winterhorse like this.