Alone Season 6 - The Arctic

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by El Duderino, Apr 12, 2019.

1. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    That would be epic!

2. Torrin

Torrin Pan

Blog Posts:
    Great points. I keep forgetting about the laws and regulations. If it were a true survival situation I don't think most people would follow them. I wonder if they can get waivers for the participants since they are such a small group and couldn't do too much harm to a species on their own.

3. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw a SERE school student fashion a greenstick bow and make a twist string from the internals of paracord. He was only able to kill budgie birds, but he wasn't eating mice....

bacpacjac, NevadaBlue, RickWA and 7 others like this.
  4. Torrin

Torrin Pan

Blog Posts:
    @Bitterroot Native that was what I was thinking, the catch 22 of needing the sinew ultimately for a good string.

@JeffG that's sweet! That's kinda what I'm thinking start small and efficient, then go bigger. Anything is better than roasted mouse.

5. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Come to Puckerbrush 2019 Stim Wilcox guides many through the process of making function self bows, newbies can make a self bow in short order. Practice it a little and you will have a bow. Arrows will be more time consuming than the bow.

6. Tye

Tye Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve been watching the show and a few things have caught my eye. Kinda cheering for the guy from lynchburg due to it being in my OA. But his range estimation is horrible, IMHO. Just don’t know about a few things I have observed. Will wait until the season has ended before I post anymore thoughts of my observations.

7. JOttum

JOttum Nights Watch Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I binged all the episodes so far on July 4th. I stayed home with the dog to help keep her calm during all the "festivities" in the big city.

I really like this batch of contestants! I'm excited to see this season play out. I've got my favorites picked, curious to see how they do.

8. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
  9. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    anyone have links to where i can watch past series I think I've only saw season 2 with Larry Roberts and his pet mouse lol

10. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  11. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    You might try Netflix, or Spectrum cable on demand.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  12. Torrin

Torrin Pan

Blog Posts:
    Season 1 and 2 are on Amazon prime, some other seasons available for purchase. I am watching it on the AT&T Watch TV app. I don't have anything else.

13. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks JeffG, just checked Netflix and they don't have it.

Never heard of spectrum cable on demand

14. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Torrin, unfortunately I don't have an amazon prime account

15. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hulu had past seasons, just nothing from 6 yet. I watch on sling/roku for new episodes.

16. McKBrew

McKBrew Roughian #103 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hulu currently has the first few seasons. I'm way behind haven't even finished Season 3.

17. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    Used to be Time Warner, there is an On Demand feature with movies and series.

18. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    When you live with a group of people it is easy to protect your stash from others, as a single individual...... lets see how that goes. Curious what happens to the head. No not the mental aspects of each participant but the moose head, eyeballs, brains, cheeks and tongue. Also the skin, has he fleshed it out, that is some work, at least he won't have to be running a snare line. Fleshing tool? maybe the axe head. Then there is burning your shelter down not once but twice. Nice fish, really makes other locations pale. A harsh environment but land of plenty? Even the fats found in northern climates are different than fats found in warmer climates, the omegas in animal fats are similar to fats of plants but animal fats closer to the equator don't have the same structure. Nature provides.

bacpacjac, polar bear, Torrin and 5 others like this.
  19. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Jordan should get hired by Leatherman to do a commercial about how he skinned and quartered a moose with his multi-tool.

20. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Really, I'm impressed, but it's almost too much. If he had better infrastucture (big smoker, root cellar, bear cache, etc.) I'd be less concerned. As it is, I'm afraid he'll get animals messing with him and maybe food borne illness from improperly preserved meat.

Still, that moose kabob is probably the best meal ever eaten on Alone!

21. morganbw

morganbw Scout

Blog Posts:
    Concerning Jordan:
    It looks like the refrigerator thermostat was turned down so he has a good chance of not spoiling the meat.
    The head, maybe barbacoa or some semblance of it.
    The tongue = dang good stuff.
    He got such a large haul that I think there might be a hard time utilizing all as it should be used.
    Just the organ meat would be a lot to eat in a timely manner, (heart, liver, kidneys, plus if extremely hardcore) (lungs, pancreas, and a few tasty glands).
    I am not sure that I would be eating kidney when filet is available.
    However, it works out, he has been a solid player.

22. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    I may have posted this before on one of the Alone threads, but this one really deserves it. A great book, The Land of Feast and Famine, by Helge Ingstad Speaking of the head, in the story after a long famine they took a caribou, the head went into a large pot, hair and allllll.
    https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-7735-0911-5

23. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I pu
    I have the Philo app to be able to watch Alone. Subscription is $20 a month but I get most every other channel I like to watch.

24. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Justin, I'll look into them

25. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks McKBrew, I'll have a look at Hulu

26. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    He should be slicing and smoking that meat, and eating like a king. He might be the first contestant to GAIN weight if he plays his cards right. I would be processing and storing meat far away from my shelter, and washing the blood off of my clothes. He even made the comment that his shelter would be like a burrito.

OMRebel, JC1, bacpacjac and 8 others like this.
  27. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thant explains it then mate, cheers for the info.

28. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info, I'd prefer to view them for free if I can

29. Captain Airyca

Captain Airyca Scout

Blog Posts:
    Amen!! What an amazing job! I really hope he'll be able to post more details online kinda like he did for the hunting part. What a feat! He must have been so exhausted by the time he was done.

elkhound, OMRebel, bacpacjac and 10 others like this.
  30. morganbw

morganbw Scout

Blog Posts:
    So good that there is some understanding of the enormity of the task that he was faced with.

elkhound, OMRebel, bacpacjac and 11 others like this.
  31. Torrin

Torrin Pan

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it's almost mind boggling!
    We are definitely in for some good entertainment with this one. Looks like he's getting predators coming soon.

He need to put those good calories to use quick and get that thing taken care of.

elkhound, OMRebel, bacpacjac and 8 others like this.
  32. Torrin

Torrin Pan

Blog Posts:
    BTW, anyone watch Muntain Men? I love that show, probably more than Alone.

For another thread.

P.s. there was some serious skinning in the most recent episode, twice!

33. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have watched it for years, but my two favorites just quit. Marty and Tom decided to quit, I decided to quit watching it. Life goes on...

34. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I’ve watched Heimo Korth cut up caraboo on the Last Alaskan show, using his leatherman, no problem at all. Looks like this moose went that way too. I sure would like to see him cut that meat thin and dry/smoke it SOON. And stop living IN it. :eek:

elkhound, OMRebel, JC1 and 8 others like this.
  35. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    I started watching Mountain Men after I found Alone mid-Season 3, but I think it was Season 4 because Mountain Men came on right before Alone. I really like the the show and it gets more viewers than Alone. I mentioned it in a Facebook Alone group and one of the current Alone contestants said his grandfather likes it. Mountain Men used to be available on Amazon, and I watched all the Seasons, but it is not available there anymore.

He had to do something quick to prevent it from spoiling, but now he should be building another structure (either a new shelter, or a smoke house) so the meat can be properly finished. Sleeping with his food seems foolish, but his shelter isn't solid enough to keep predators out. I think he is just guarding it, but its not getting enough smoke if he can breath in there.

36. craverz

craverz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Jordan gave these amazing details on another forum:

"With all thats at stake, the day shown on episode 5 of Alone was one of the most intense I have had. Here is the detailed description of what went down.

After last week's miss I built the reindeer fence. Early warning systems adjusted to have lighter breakpoints (to avoid startling the moose like the last one) had been placed around to give me a heads up. While checking my traps I heard a commotion in the area (my face in this moment was captured in episode 4 ). I quickly snuck over to my bush located at the mouth of the fence. After a short wait the young bull appeared quartering towards me and moving along the fence. I may of been able to wait and get a full broadside shot, but he was within 20 yards and often waiting means you will get no shot, so I took my shot! It felt like a great shot and as it struck him he spun around in a circle not immediately running away and not knowing what happened. I stared in awe at him for a second then thought "what an idiot shoot another arrow!". Just as I tried he trotted off, my second arrow sailed into the Moss.

But the shot felt good! I wish it had been a few inches to the left which would of guaranteed a double lung hit, but I had been encouraged by a moose cough and a bubbly splatter of blood. The next hour felt like an eternity, but from prior experience I know it's best to wait an hour or so before beginning your search.

I found a good trail of blood but it slowly dried up....and soon I could find no tracks or blood. Knowing I hit him in the lung, and that running uphill would be the last thing he would want to do I followed the shoreline. All the thoughts of "oh man, did it get away?" Swarming around in my head. Then I spotted some brown - and saw him move! I couldn't believe it, I was so excited to see him lying up there, but that was just the beginning. I immediately I ducked down behind a log. You want the animal to be calm, to not know what happened, and to slowly bleed out without fear and adrenaline. If he were to see me he would of gotten an energy burst and could well of ran off or charged. I really couldn't risk it. I wanted so badly to finish it off, but the risk of me losing the animal completely and leaving it die in vain was too great. Finally (on video) it stood up, I gasped, he fell over, and died. I walked up to it and confirmed it. That was pure joy.

So intense.

The skinning and hauling never felt like too much of a burden...problems I was more than happy to take on! Of course it's exhausting, and that is why, in a short lapse in judgement, I hit the stomach with my blade. I was foolishly trying to avoid rolling him into his back again to open up his chest cavity (which I ended up doing anyway).

I then had it back at camp where I hung the main quarters in my shelter to smoke as I sat there and cut other strips off the neck and such to smoke in small pieces also (get as much smoke on as much meat as possible to get it to freezing temps). Other parts I hung up in trees to keep away from predators, though not high enough to keep our of the reach of bears. I figured if one came he would go for that lower hanging meat before he went for the smoky human scented shelter meat, and that I may even get a chance at him! But all that is for the future, we'll see how it goes down."

Thanks Jordan!

OMRebel, elkhound, Swampdog and 14 others like this.
  37. craverz

craverz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I initially was surprised by this statement from Jordan. I guess it makes sense when you figure how exhausted he must have been:

"I actually didn't eat a bite that first night! I was so busy I didn't even bother ha... Maybe I had some rabbit earlier that was holding me over."

OMRebel, elkhound, Torrin and 9 others like this.
  38. StringJumper

StringJumper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Regarding processing the head, organs, etc...I'm guessing the bull live weight was somewhere around 700-750 pounds. That would give Jordan at a minimum of 250 pounds of red meat and maybe much more. That is more than enough to last him for the time he might be out there, assuming he is able to successfully process his kill and defend it from predators.

Especially if he is able to supplement his diet with a few hares and fish here and there.

Why eat eyes and kidneys? Why even spend the time and effort to process them? Rather than worry about saving every last part of the animal I would focus more on preserving the red meat as fully as possible.

In a true long term survival situation it may be a different story but in this case he only needs enough to last about 11 more months at most.

Wapitilo, OMRebel, Torrin and 8 others like this.
  39. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like some of the show for the bushcraft type skills but I don't like all the "I miss my ..." Who ever getting in touch with their inner feelings.
    I didn't like that young man winning who just packed on the fat before the challenge, didn't really display much bushcraft savy, and just lived off his fat longer than the rest of them.
    One thing I don't understand is why some contestants don't cut a pole for fishing but continue with the hand reel. The pole will greatly increase your chances of setting the hook and landing the fish.

Wapitilo, OMRebel, bacpacjac and 4 others like this.
  40. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would be concerned about the meat "drag trail" back to my shelter.

41. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well, if you're talking about @samexplores who won last season, I'd say he showed plenty of bushcraft, especially in season one where he came in second.

I'd also say that it's not a bushcraft competition. It's not even about survival since they can tap at any time.

I see it as a willpower contest. Bushcraft and survival skills can enhance one's willpower to stay in the game. That is why all the emotional stuff is important. Ability to deal with loneliness and emotions are equally, if not more important to one's longevity in this contest. Some seasons there have been competitors who had everything they needed to win, but tapped due to the emotional toll of being out there alone.

OMRebel, elkhound, craverz and 7 others like this.
  42. Robert Y

Robert Y Scout

Blog Posts:
    There is countless bushcraft savvy that we don't get to see on the show. That being said, the amount of skill to kill a moose with one shot from a recurve bow, field dress it with a Leatherman before the sun goes down, pack it out without technology or assistance, store it without a freezer, protect it without a house, and build a smoking device is very impressive. We have always talked about how nice it would be to get a big animal, but there is so much more involved than just making the kill. I kept thinking of Christopher McCandless who was starving in Alaska, shot the moose and then couldn't harvest any of the meat before it spoiled. It will make an interesting season because rather than searching for food the entire time, Jordan's focus is now primarily on keeping his food, not getting constipated, sick, or injured, and not freezing. If he accomplishes all that, there is also the possibility that he could get really bored, especially when the daylight is scarce.

It seems like quite a few contestants are eating better than most seasons, and the snow may make tracking game easier than normal. I look forward to watching the rest of the series. Does anyone know how many episodes there are?

OMRebel, elkhound, craverz and 7 others like this.
  43. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    That being said, the amount of skill to kill a moose with one shot from a recurve bow, field dress it with a Leatherman before the sun goes down, pack it out without technology or assistance, store it without a freezer, protect it without a house, and build a smoking device is very impressive.

That's for sure! While some contestants are bemoaning their low energy level, this guy is kicking it!!

OMRebel, elkhound, craverz and 9 others like this.
  44. White Falcon

White Falcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Moose down, couple rabbits down. Now lets see if the meat spoils! Trying to smoke a whole hind quarter of a Moose, in one piece, don't seem to smart. Long rabbit fur string, to knit into warm cloths is a good Idea. But don't think she will be around long.
    People fish for thirty minutes and give up. What else do they have to do all day. One guy stayed where they dropped him off, in a burned out area. Now wonders why not much game. Didn't bring a bow as he said his chances of killing something big with a bow weren't good. I don't know about some of these EXPERTS!!!!

45. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This thread needs to come with a spoiler alert for those of us playing catch up and haven't seen the latest episodes

Luckily knowing what's to come doesn't put me off wanting to watch programs it usually tweaks my interest and makes me want to watch them more

46. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:

I think you are getting two of the contestants confused. Nathan is in a burn area. His whole territory is. Brady was the one saying he is glad he didn't bring a bow. He has seen no large animals moving in his territory.

Jameson, morganbw, JeffG and 2 others like this.
  47. White Falcon

White Falcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have OLD FART SYNDROME, I guess!

48. Revinmama

Revinmama Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I was surprised to see the rabbit being cooked on a stick rather than in a pot with water. Yes, it might taste better that way, but I hated to see that good fat or juice dripping onto the coals when ALL of those important fat calories could have been consumed in soup/broth. Same goes or the fish. I would have poached them, and drunk the broth.

Marlene

49. maddox

maddox Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This group has been doing great.

There are things that each is doing that I would do differently, but that does not mean either way is wrong. Everyone has there way of doing things and factors that influence decision making.

I personally would not have fully cleaned that moose. I would take the quarters, backstraps, some tallow, sinew and hide. Maybe a rib to scrape the hide with. Some may say that is wasteful, but that is a lot of meat to consume before it spoils.

Jordan is in uncharted territory. After season 1, everyone had an idea of how to play the game. Jordan is having to do things that have never been done on alone. He is not starving, he is trying to maintain the wealth that he has accumulated.

So far it has been a great season.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 7:15 PM
    OMRebel, elkhound, bacpacjac and 12 others like this.
  50. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts: