Alone Season 6 - The Arctic

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by El Duderino, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Don't count out Nathan!

2. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Who is the guy who cut his hair with a knife?
    He's my pick if Wonder Woman Woniya doesn't take it.
    He's 40+ days into it when most everyone else is passing out or tapping out or ghost hugging their wife or losing their last good hook...and he's concerning himself with grooming.
    Just sayin'

3. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:

OK, based on the episode descriptions, there are still three people for Episode 11.

After the lake freezes, ice fishing should determine the winner.
    Neither Woniya nor Barry brought an ax to chop through the ice for fishing.
    I am guessing that Woniya and Barry tap in the next two episodes. No idea who might tap first.

That leaves Nikki, Jordan and Nathan for the final.

48 days in, Jordan killing a moose should have been a win, but he lost a lot of fat to the wolverines (yes, plural, although he did kill one), and is losing weight fast.
    Nikki is accident prone, but always bounces back. She is eating well with hare-stomach-contents soup, but fish would be better. They haven't shown Nikki having any success at fishing yet, but it could happen.
    Nathan has a gill net, and hooks & line. Does he know how to set a gill net under the ice? I have no idea. Its anyone's game, but I guess I would have to go with Nathan.

4. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I think Jordan has to get the weight loss under control somehow. The ‘next time’ clips showed him losing MORE fat. Sigh... I would be stripping out every bit I could find and protecting it somehow. I know that others (Heimo for example) says moose is the key to survival. I’m still pulling for Jordan.

Watching Woniya makes me crazy.

5. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is one of the shows I am missing since I had to discontinue my DISH Network service. And when a guy is only good at two things in life . . . watching television and running his mouth . . . taking one of them away hurts!

GreenFrog, JeffG, M.Hatfield and 10 others like this.
  6. HP500

HP500 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Woniya had a very good video where she talks about Jordan's moose and the ethics of hunting after some people were upset about a moose being harvested. I thought she did a great job.

Watch "Woniya on Jordan's Moose Kill, Alone Season 6" on YouTube

7. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's one of the best videos I've seen on youtube and a compelling commentary on the both the specific incident and hunting in general.

8. XMP

XMP Mountain Man Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I still think Jordan has the inside track. I think the editing is designed to make it seem less significant than it really is how much food he has compared to the other contestants. I think he'll overcome the fishing hurdle and add some fat to his diet and eventually win.

9. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    notice mouse in thumbnail of video.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  10. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  11. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    It is certainly possible that the editors are being deceptive. Jordan is loosing a pound a day and Woniya is not loosing weight, but they haven't said what the others are loosing. A moose kill certainly should be the win.

12. craverz

craverz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here are a couple of interesting posts from Jordan:

"Hey, guys, just to own up to the embarrassment right away, hahah, I absolutely knew I should of made a dip net immediately....on day one I just figured I'd try fishing...then that bled into day two three four....basically fished for many days early on without even a bite or fish sighting while also losing hooks on the shallow ground, so I began to focus more on land game... I hit the fishing again post moose knowing I should make a net, but wanting even more to find a fishing hole that wasn't shallow 40 yards out... So i finally caught one, and was of course bummed it got off .. but if you look close i was smiling too cuz I knew how dumb it was of me to ignore my better judgment and go w/o a net... Ha...I was also happy just to of finally found a spot where fish were!"

When Jordan was asked if he had lost all of his hooks, what would be the best alternate hook he could make in his particular situation with the gear that he had, he answered ... "A gorge hook...you can look those up it's easier than explaining.. you just have to let the fish really swallow it."

When asked what bait he would use with it, Jordan answered, "Moose meat and fish belly skin...that's what I used after the first one with the spinner."

GreenFrog, JeffG, M.Hatfield and 7 others like this.
  13. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    they are messing with us..my 2 cents...notice in previews for next week.nathan was saying he let fire go out and now needed to get a coal and showed friction set falling apart. well this week they showed him with big pike and if you notice in background theres multiple hearth boards and spindles sets next to fire.i could be wrong but i call BS on that.hes made it this long without a ferro rod hes gotta be capable with a set. that gill net has been feeding him.i cant wait till its over and he can tell us just how many fish he caught in it.

GreenFrog, JeffG, M.Hatfield and 10 others like this.
  14. danpass

danpass Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm into .mil survival kits, especially aviation related. from what I can tell a gill net was a core item for many, many years.

JeffG, M.Hatfield, bacpacjac and 8 others like this.
  15. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    Woniya got on my nerves with her feminine side speech, acting like she was the first woman on alone. Really? Had she not watched previous seasons? There’s nothing she could prove that hadn’t been proved by Nicole apelian and many others. Insecurity for her life choices, maybe? C’mon, woniya, hike your own hike. Your skills are incredible. No need for politicizing the show. You’re better than that ...

M.Hatfield, bacpacjac, Panzer and 9 others like this.
  16. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    No commentary needed...... Jordan's utube

17. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a bit confused... doesn't moose meat have fat marbling? Isn't there some fat in the meat?

It just seems like Jordan shouldn't be losing that much daily weight due to lack of fat. :33: I dunno.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  18. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    They said in their text on the show that moose meat is very low in fat. Sounded like it may even be lower than venison. On a deer, there is fat around the kidneys and in a few out-of-the way places that don't get much movement, but that's about it. There is fat in the white nerve tissue, not much in the grey nerve tissue. Here in my part of Michigan, we don't eat anything of the brain or spine due to chronic wasting disease (CWD).

19. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    i love the old ones that looked like a apron of sorts that tied around waste and had all kinds of handlines and lures and even harpoon points.

[​IMG]

20. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    No need to be concerned with the lean moose meat. He is still getting way more fat than any of the others. just the bone marrow he is getting is more than a few fish, I suspect. Remember the editing, directing, producers(they have been know to pull strings) of the Alone show want to keep you guessing....... pull yourselves together! Don't let them fool you. Another aspect of this is we are all living on a high carb lifestyle, much of the normal weight loss all contestants go through is withdrawal from the carbs we are force fed. Wynona did implement a low carb diet prior to going on the show, she is the only one I recall doing this to any extent, Moose Man is likely still adjusting to no carbs. He is fine.

21. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    But is CWD a problem in that part of Canada, did the producers of the show give them a Warning to not eat that part of any of the animals? No they did not. But they did scare many away from eating shell fish in other seasons. CWD is not a problem as much as I have seen.

22. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    No CWD in NWT: http://cwd-info.org/map-chronic-wasting-disease-in-north-america/

See the tiny spots in lower Michigan? As bad luck would have it, I just happen to live in one of those spots.

23. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yellow dot in Arkansas.... thats me.

24. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I thought Chronic Wasting Disease was something to do with hobbies. :rolleyes:

25. Kenneth

Kenneth Guide

Blog Posts:
    I remember when I was teenager, my dad had a VHS tape (I know I am showing my age) of a family living in Alaska in the wilderness somewhere. The husband went hunting with nothing but a backboard with burlap sacks, a rifle and whatever he had in his pockets.

He shot a caribou and in the video he skinned and cut it up with nothing more than a knife that looked liked my dad's 3 blade old timer, but maybe a little bigger.
    20190804_233228.jpg

I wish I could find that video again.

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth

26. Kenneth

Kenneth Guide

Blog Posts:
    Do you have any pictures or link of a military fishing kit with a gill net? I have the folding net in some World War Two fishing kits.

I have different types of military fishing kits that I have promised to make a thread. I guess I need to get on with it and start posting, it just takes time to upload the pictures and I have a lot of pictures.

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth

27. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    The fur eye circles are what make this skull so creepy ...

28. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  29. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  30. danpass

danpass Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One thing I’ve never seen ANYONE do, on any survival show, and it boggles my mind, is start a fire using the platform-and-brace method.

Of all the methods the former SERE Instructor could have shown us in our basic class the one he chose was the platform and brace.

Here is another former SERE instructor showing the method. (there’s only about 6 or 7 videos on all YouTube for this lol)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  31. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is how I usually do it. Does work well.

32. Torrin

Torrin Pan Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow Nikki got robbed IMO!

Hungry, bacpacjac, JeffG and 5 others like this.
  33. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    She didn't look as skinny as David in his first season in Patagonia. And her back bone wasn't showing like the other lady they pulled in Patagonia. I think she could have gone a bit more, but not to the end.

bacpacjac, JeffG, M.Hatfield and 6 others like this.
  34. Winterhorse

Blog Posts:
    None of us were there. I think the pros who assess the health of the contestants weekly are better qualified to make that call. It takes a lot of calories to create body heat in those conditions.
    She knew she was on the edge and said so.
    From my sofa I think it was the right call.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  35. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    nikki...sad to see her get pulled.shes mentally and physically tough for sure. screen said she had lost 25% of her body weight.thats a lot,shes not that large a person even with beefing up for the show. when she took smoke bath she looked pretty dang skinny to me.i think they made the correct call. i hope we dont see folks as skinny as dave was or carley for that matter.that was to low for folks to be...they know the rules and its part of i so we gotta just deal with it...rules of the game.

barry...that lichen,reindeer moss stuff barry was eating was pretty interesting. i think woniya tried it but couldnt tolerate it. said it was like rubber maybe? but anyways he seemed to like it and said it was like a spinach type.screen said it was carbohydrate...thats interesting too.

woniya made a nice bed. i am not a ground sleeper anymore but was in my younger years. now i want up off the ground and have a nice sitting spot at a chair bottom height. really like how she cleaned up all the edges and left no edges to cut into ya legs and such.

jordan...a rabbit vest...the dude is funny as heck. he aint suffering at all hes playing cards and having fashion shows and rendering fats and eating cracklings from it. no matter what he has raised the bar on this show...several have in my opinion.

nathan..i like this guy. it was interesting to hear him talk about the growth rings and them being to close for best spindles.hes showing its possible to do without a ferro rod. hes the pioneer in this category even though randy made fire after ferro rod loss.nathan went in knowing he had to do it from scratch.

36. StringJumper

StringJumper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't think so...even she herself had some doubt prior to the medical exam and voiced a fear of being extracted due to her weight loss. I weigh 200 lbs and can't imagine how I might look if I lost 25% of my weight (50 lbs) in just 7 weeks.

I think the juniper smoke scene was intentionally shown in the episode so that the viewers could see for themselves how skinny she was.

Tough break? Yes. But it was for her own good and not outside the rules.

37. Winterhorse

Blog Posts:
    I have lost track.
    How many episodes left?
    I'm thinking only two?

38. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep, 2. Thinking next may be back to back. And the winner is.......??????

39. Torrin

Torrin Pan Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is there a 25% weight loss rule?

Many contestants have been concerned about med checks, that doesn't mean anything. She wasn't concerned with what she saw during the smoke scene, she was content. She didn't look all that bad to me compared to others, granted she didn't have a ton of fight left.

When it's getting down to the end and a person has invested sooo much to make it that far it's hard to see them go when they aren't done.

Rules I understand.

40. trailhermit

trailhermit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I get to binge watch Alone while doggy sitting. :14:

41. HP500

HP500 Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's a tough one. All of the remaining contestants are very strong. I still think Woniya has a good shot at winning, but it could be any of them.

42. White Falcon

White Falcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Woniya, I think she has the mental attitude and the body mass to become the winner!
    I would say, Nathan, made a bad mistake not choosing the correct fire making item.
    Barry...that lichen,reindeer moss, is going to get you removed with severe intestinal pain.
    I think next show is the last!! :( :(

43. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nathan

44. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:

to my understanding they go by BMI.

45. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    Episode 10 Thin Ice
    As temperatures drop to the lowest point yet, the lake freezes and cuts off resources and threatens the safety of the survivalists; each participant's grit and resourcefulness is tested by the unrelenting cold.

Episode 11 Fire and Ice
    The final three survivalists continue to battle weight loss, extreme temperatures, and predators to remain in the fight; the punishing cold makes getting food harder and a devastating catastrophe causes one participant to lose everything.

we have at least 2 episodes left..or so it seems.

46. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    They do go by BMI; 17 minimum. Megan Hanacek and I had a long conversation about this on Facebook. I looked up how the BMI is calculated and it is very unfair for short people, at least for this show. I am 6'2", 265 pounds. I could go down to 130 pounds before I would be pulled by the BMI standards. The USAF uses the same standard. In the Air Force, they have a maximum BMI, and the BMI worked against me ss soon as I got a desk job. I had to be very thin to keep my job. The maximum BMI worked for short people in the USAF, and short people could be chubby and not have any problems with it (seen from the point of view of Alone, short people MUST be chubby to not have a problem with it). BMI also does not differentiate between fat and muscle. the example from Wikipedia is that Mr Universe is considered grossly obese by BMI standards.

*Edit: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ALONE.Series/permalink/2205491362861346/?comment_id=2205824989494650

My prediction that Nikki would make it to the final show does seem to be the final factor that jinxed her ability to stay on the show.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    NevadaBlue, Jameson, Torrin and 6 others like this.
  47. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Barry go home in episode 10? Nathan, Jordan and Woniya the final episode?

48. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    That sounds right. Barry is not getting any food, and not he is having a harder time getting water. He has to cut a lot of firewood to melt the gallon of water he needs in a day. Woniya is getting rabbits. Jordan has moose meat. Nathan has been getting some fish. He was lucky to find the cedar board. Without it, making fire with a bow drill sounds like it would be impossible once the temperatures get below zero.

NevadaBlue, M.Hatfield, BBizy and 5 others like this.
  49. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    "a devastating catastrophe causes one participant to lose everything." Well, this is of concern, as who has everything....Jordan!

Mick Badgero....." Without it, making fire with a bow drill sounds like it would be impossible once the temperatures get below zero." Actually the colder temps reduce moisture in the wood making it easier, hot humid summer days are actually a challenge, well bow drill in general is. If he just keeps his proven set handy he should be fine fire wise, and keep the fire banked well.

Cold temps are coming, here goes my arm chair comment.... how about a debris hut and the cold temps sleeping bag to extend the zone? Some are commenting on cold feet even when in their beds.

50. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    It was a bummer they pulled Nikki? But I still think Jordan will be the winner. It's been a interesting season for sure.

Jon.