Alone Season 6 - The Arctic

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by El Duderino, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Whose shelter is burning at -12 seconds in this video? Anyone recognize it?

Dryer does make a friction fire easier, but dry in a desert at 100 degrees is a lot easier that dry in the cold at zero. The ignition temperature of wood is the same and you have to work harder to make an ember. As Nathan said, the wood in the arctic is too hard for good friction fires. His cedar board is from much farther south.

Not sure what you mean by debris shelters. Most of them are insulating the walls with debris. I don't see much insulation on the tops of the shelters. A lot of heat lost from the roofs and floors. Hard to insulate the floors. Debris would be too flammable. Jordan does have a moose hide to insulate his floor. Hair and hide is not flammable.

2. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    My first thought is Nikki. Whoever it is, appears to be on fire when you play in slow motion. Appears to be wearing a hooded shirt or jacket.

3. Kenneth

Kenneth Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw the most recent episode and was surprised to see one ot two shelters are still a tarp wrapped around poles like a tepee style. I was thinking my armchair thought where is your insulation, that has to be cold. I was thinking that if they would pile branches on top that would help insulate especially when it snows because I believe the snow would add another layer of insulation. But then again inhave practically no experience with snow and really cold environments.

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth

4. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    Me too. It would seem the roof would want insulation right away, tarps wouldn't be very useful in winter weather.

5. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nathan had been using a proven set for fire prior to the Oh No I spent a whole day getting a fire going, episode, without his cedar cutting board set up. If I recall he had been using willow. I suspect foul play from the producers. but let's not go there. speaking of Nathan.... I recall many season the winner is not often played up much, there are exceptions, Nathan has not had a lot of air time. Does this mean a potential winner slot? Regardless I think the producers are doing a fine job of keeping us guessing as to the winner.

Debris shelters, I am not referring to a A frame style big shelter with moving around in space but an actually debris shelter where the debris is fitted snugly to the body, in this case the body is wrapped in the warm bag and you have clothes on as well along with your felt booties, snuggled all in a minimum of 2' of insulation material over your bag. this is inside your insulated tarped shelter and not next to the fire. Two shelters in one.

6. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    yes...i do now...i am not saying anything so as to spoil it.

7. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nikki is gone. I was referring to the fire shown from the outside that takes the whole shelter, 12 seconds before the video ends. That hasn't made it to the show yet, and it was in the original intro video before the show even aired!

The producers are messing with us. They can edit it so that the order of anything is changed, as long as they don't change the order of the tap outs. I don't believe Nathan just remembered the cedar board almost two months in.

Not sure how much that type of debris shelter would help over just the (mostly) windbreak shelters they have now. They would have to get out to pee and they can't heat them at all. Debris shelters are designed for a quick night and then head out to safety, not for a week or month at below zero. A debris shelter inside a heated shelter is just a brush pile waiting for a spark. I would not risk my life to that.

8. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    E9556290-0431-4717-B3C4-710EFBD944AB.png Jordan or Woniya?

Attached Files:

9. Hungry

Hungry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’m interested in seeing if Jordan’s “wolverine snares” work.

I’ve enjoyed every season. This season has been the best IMO.

10. StringJumper

StringJumper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It would not be the first time the producers included a scene in the intro video that never makes the show. Remember the Vancouver Island wolf attack on the beach that was part of the intro video for one of the seasons...maybe season 4 ? We waited all season to see this filmed attack but it never came. (From the beginning I thought the "wolf" had a lot of German Sheppard in him, and the attack scene seemed staged.)

As someone just said, these producers are good at keeping you guessing.

11. StringJumper

StringJumper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This season has been good. We have seen the most advanced shelter building with Woniya's double-walled insulated hut. The best red-meat hunting with everything from shooting a moose to plucking small squirrels out of a tree. We have seen fishing success with lures crafted out of tin cans. Someone shoots a wolverine (!) with a bow and finishes it off with an axe. The snare trapping success is unprecedented for the show. The making of shawls and vests out of animal skins.

But for me nothing will top season 1. It was new. It was raw. And it was the first truly non-staged reality wilderness survival show. Sam howling at the wolves. Lucas and his two note guitar. Alan quoting Edgar Allan Poe. It's kind of like the Rocky series...you enjoy every sequel but nothing beats the original movie.

And of course, it didn't hurt when a good ole boy from Georgia won.

12. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    The burning shelter could be just how they decided to disassemble Woniya's house after she wins.

13. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ^^^this. Some pretty solid contenders this season.

14. StringJumper

StringJumper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good point. That would be a typical misdirection from the producers.

On the other hand, I don't see why they just didn't leave it. It appeared to be built well enough to last a few years and could be a handy overnight shelter for trappers, hunters or other people using the area.

15. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    They attempt to put the camps back as they were, the best they can, they did tell us and show us that.

16. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    haha! This is going to be shelter fire number 3? Woniya is rocking it. What a great cast this season!

M.Hatfield, elkhound, Kenneth and 9 others like this.
  17. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    From someone who lives where the lowest temperature last winter was 31, that place looks too cold to exist let alone survive.

18. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Guide

Blog Posts:
    If someone did not bring a firesteel, what would prevent someone from using one of the camera batteries to create a small spark to get a fire started other than their own moral compass and or desire to not "cheat"?

19. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hah! I'm still wearing shorts when it's that warm.

CPRPE, bacpacjac, Winterhorse and 6 others like this.
  20. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I believe they are asked not to improvise or use the camera equipment.

21. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure they are- and they have to sign all kinds of legally binding contracts including NDA's. There would be no need for someone with a ferro rod to be tempted to do that...just an observation- not an accusation. Not like a 12 volt fully charged deep cycle battery would be laying around to be "scavanged"...

22. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My wife asked where they get all the tin cans. I told her... can’t repeat it here however. :rolleyes: Too politically incorrect. :4:

23. craverz

craverz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Explanation from Nikki:

"I definitely had a lot more to give. Rules are rules and the BMI is their standard at this point. I was super skinny, had a low BMI, which normally sees people with symptoms, but I didn't have any of them. I felt really good still. All my tests were normal, throughout the show, even in the hospital, my tests were good, no sign of organ failure etc. It was a hard call for the production team and drs. No one had experienced something like this before. I'm skinny normally, have been all my life, I eat like a bird and hardly ever feel hungry. Barry nicknamed little bird of the north because of it. hahaha BMI is a hard indicator. but no hard feelings. I hope to have redemption at some point. Producers did give me a jar of almond butter at my request when i flew home for the getting bit by the squirrel scene which happened due to camera confusion. hahaha The crew was awesome! .......

I was just devastated and babbling because I was crying so much! hahaha Trying to negotiate my staying out there at least for my halloween party. I even had a hare in a snare that day and i had made that creepy Venetian style rabbit mask on a stick! I wasn't losing it out there because of health issues, all my test results had stayed normal the entire time, even all the hospital tests. Just skinny and a low BMI, which usually is very dangerous for some people, just wasn't an issue for me. I felt really good still, never really hungry, I ate twice a day, not suffering, no constipation, nothing like that. that's why it was so devastating for me, I knew I had more to go. I have been through real starvation and pain and I wasn't near that yet, but no hard feelings, no one knew what to do with me, the drs couldn't explain it and they made the best decision they could. I actually had a lot of compassion and understanding for the crew. It was a tough day for all of us."

Torrin, hdbeav, bacpacjac and 13 others like this.
  24. craverz

craverz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is Jordan talking about losing more fat to animals:

"They ate the fat that was attached to the meat..a thick layer on the hips.. had I thought they could get up there I would of been more meticulous about cutting it off and keeping it with me like my other fat/lard. Hanging it in trees proved annoying because it was very difficult to hang it and wrap it in a way that the numerous birds couldn't find their way in and Peck away the fat. I also wasn't convinced a wolverine wouldn't climb the tree and chew threw the paracord in a bite or two...very tenacious animals. Honestly, once I built the cache I thought I had solved the problem...I was wrong but that was only appearant w hindsight"

25. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sling TV says there is only one more episode Episode 11 (?)- and the summary indicated one tapped. Did it actually get down to 1 last person- or did they have to end the season because it got too cold ?

Fire and Ice
    Alone episode (season 6, episode 11)
    Description
    The final three survivalists continue to battle weight loss, extreme temperatures, and predators to remain in the fight; the punishing cold makes getting food harder and a devastating catastrophe causes one participant to lose everything.

Show: Alone
    Season number: 6
    Episode number: 11
    Air date: August 22, 201

26. craverz

craverz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Episode 10 Thin Ice is this week on Aug 15th. We lose one contestant here.
    As temperatures drop to the lowest point yet, the lake freezes and cuts off resources and threatens the safety of the survivalists; each participant's grit and resourcefulness is tested by the unrelenting cold.

Episode 11 Fire and Ice. is Aug 22nd and is the last episode where the final 3 battle it out.
    The final three survivalists continue to battle weight loss, extreme temperatures, and predators to remain in the fight; the punishing cold makes getting food harder and a devastating catastrophe causes one participant to lose everything.

27. StringJumper

StringJumper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    "a devastating catastrophe" = one burned down shelter?

The "lose everything" comment leads me to think so...about the only way a contestant could lose all their stuff. And shelter fires seem to be a common mishap...Larry had one in Season 2, Brooke had one in Season 4, and Both Nikki and Michelle have had one this season. Could be others I have forgotton.

28. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    yall need to watch and listen to this video...wow....i count 15 rabbits on this vest. but listen to what else he covers with rabbit fur.

29. StringJumper

StringJumper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Shot a bunch of rabbits in my life...always throw the hides away. What technique is used to tan/preserve the hides...or is no technique neccessary?

30. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    He brain tanned them, per a Facebook post.

31. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Jordan got a moose, a wolverine and a whole lot of hares! Seems to me I saw a few squirrel hides hanging in his shelter, too.

Jameson, NevadaBlue, elkhound and 5 others like this.
  32. craverz

craverz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The contestants were asked how much luck plays into success and failure on the show.

Here is what Nikki said:

"I never really thought about luck being a factor and that's coming from the contestant who seems to have the worst luck ever. hahaha Good or bad you just have to keep on smiling, learning and becoming better from both situations. I don't really believe in luck, it seems to me just a good excuse to put the blame on something else other than yourself when you're not happy with an outcome and then not want to take the credit for something you did do well. I think most would say it's lucky to pick a spot with lots of game or a place to fish when others didn't have such resources, but survival is about adapting and overcoming challenges, being aware of what may be hidden upon first look, there's just decisions to be made and intuitions to follow. This game is as fair as it could be."

Here is what Jordan answered:

"I agree...luck, whatever it be, can only be discussed after everything else has been tried...and you'll never try everything else because you'll never think of everything . So you'll blame luck when really it was some degree - even of your the best in to world at something - of ignorance that is guilty for your failures. And for your successes - I mean I have been "lucky" before....a bear killed a moose right near my hunting cabin in Siberia - basically delivered meat...lucky? Maybe...it's the luckiest thing I can think of - but it happened because I was out there where almost noone else would go, so ....things happen..not luck so much.. Now had that happened on the show I might say it was lucky "

33. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My money is on Woniya.

34. Hungry

Hungry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We’re down to four. I’m pulling for Jordan.

Woynia a close second. I’m digging Jordan’s moose kill/ wolverine kill/ protecting his kill.

Wyonias’s skills are impressive.

Who am I kidding, the survival skills from all involved are truly impressive!

35. Hungry

Hungry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I”m going to put forth the idea that Nikki being pulled was more for production reasons than actual threat to health. What say you?

36. Hungry

Hungry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If I’m wrong, so be it. I don’t think Barry will win. Dude is hardcore, no doubt. That being said,

When you look the mindset of other contestants , he’s in a different place.

37. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't think Woniya can win because she is too short. BMI calculations favor tall people when it comes to a starvation contest. Nikki was pulled due to low BMI.

38. Hungry

Hungry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not an expert. My understanding is that BMI measurements favor shorter people. Wynona doesn’t appear to be tall.

She is thick.

Can I say that without sounding like an Ass
    No insult intended. She’s a lady that prepped herself for a starvation Contest.

39. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here is a BMI chart:

body-mass-index-chart.gif

BMI is calculated by the body mass (in kilograms) divided by the height (in meters) squared. The problem with this equation is that people (or any object) scale in proportion to the cube of the height, not the square. The BMI also does not distinguish between muscle and fat. Mr. Universe is grossly obese by BMI (that's the example given in Wikipedia that points out this flaw).

I am 6' 2" and weigh 265 (obese by this chart, and definitely overweight, even by my own standards). I am most comfortable at about 220 (overweight) when I am toned, but not cut. I would be pulled at 130 (BMI 17, underweight). This is less than half my current weight.

When I graduated high school, I was 160, very thin and undernourished, but by this chart, normal. When I was in the Air Force, my max weight was 190; impossible to maintain if I ate or exercised at all.

Someone 5' 2" would be pulled at 95 pounds. How tall is Woniya? She looks to me to be rather short, but I don't know her actual height. She can look a little "thick" and still get pulled. Nikki looked a bit thin, but she did not look unhealthy to me and she said she felt fine. Not like Dave Nessia at all. He looked too close to death when he was pulled.

Torrin, rustystove2017, BBizy and 8 others like this.
  40. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    According to that BMI chart I can win Alone with nothing but water and my body fat! (as long as the show doesn't go over 40 months!) :18:

Torrin, rustystove2017, BBizy and 5 others like this.
  41. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    In her Youtube preparing video for Alone, Woniya weighed 128

42. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    If Moose man Jordan doesn't take this I will be surprised.

43. Scarywoody

Scarywoody Scout

Blog Posts:
    Woniya is impressive. She seems the most comfortable with the best positive attitude. Even when she comes up empty she focuses on the positive.

44. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    it is obscene that at an honest height of 6-0 (i've shrunk 1.6 inches due to age), and weight of 197 with a 34-inch waist, i'm obese.
    i suspect woniya is barely over 5-0, so she has 35 or so pounds to give. i also suspect she is eating better than the editors would have us believe. nevertheless, i can't see jordan not winning unless it's his shelter that burns ...

45. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  46. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  47. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  48. Ullr-North

Ullr-North Scout

Blog Posts:
  49. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    brilliant mods to her leatherman. with that in mind, if i were the producer, i'd ban all multi-tools ... :)

50. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but if it has, I apologize.

Has anyone noticed Barry's tarp inside his shelter? (i.e. Check it out the "Ablaze" episode.) It has words written on it. I wonder if he did that before he left home or after he got there. Sharpie or charcoal? A shelter fire at this stage of the game would be devastating for him, especially if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.