Alone Season 6 - The Arctic

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by El Duderino, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    The moose kill/retrieval looks like it will happen soon as their isn't snow on the ground when they show the moose head being hauled. In the previews for next week they show Jordan with 3 hares, in the same camo as the person carrying the moose head. Hopefully they show us some meat preservation this season, and someone eating their preserved meat.

Berner9, GreenFrog, bacpacjac and 8 others like this.
  2. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    really poor carving technique by the young lady. you DON'T make high torque, fine cuts way out in front of you! if yer knife blade slips it can travel a ways, right into yer knuckle bone ...

and ray, not knowing how to fillet a fish. mercy ...

Winterhorse, fx77, GreenFrog and 10 others like this.
  3. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    LOL, one of the first things I learned about fishing was how to gut one. It isn’t normally done by sawing along the belly. :p

Winterhorse, Turtle2, Berner9 and 8 others like this.
  4. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    rodents = not food

fish,moose,muskox and grouse = food

i think jonas kills that moose and has in camp or where ever. in one clip it shows hes says its him against the wolverine. my money is on a wolverine finds his cache of meat and keeps coming back. one clip you see jonas walking around with bow/arrow in his hands..we see a clip too later of him rolling a dead wolverine around. this guys the real deal i think...he just lacks body fat to out last other bigger than him. i hope he eats fat and marrow from the moose.i bet we see him eat its nose and tongue and jowls.

i am thinking jonas has way more experience than most others ever been on this show.why do i say this? simple math. he lived with evenki in russia for 5 years...thats 5x365 =1825 days just in that batch. do yall realize how long it would take the average person to get that much dirt time?if average joes/janes spent every weekend and their typical 2 week a year vacation in the bush.thats still only 118 days a year.at that rate it take well over a decade to get that much dirt time in.

5. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Squirrels and rabbits are rodents too. Don't hunt them myself, but know a lot of people who do.

Wolverines are horrible. If they find a cache, they piss, and poop and spray their scent all over it to keep other animals out of it. They are also horrible because they wear blue and maze here in Michigan, instead of the preferred green and white :)

6. fx77

fx77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    How about some followup on the guy with the leg injury..was it really broken???How was it treated?

Seems no one has enough food for the snows coming in 2 weeks..so it again is who starves slowest is the winner barring any injury/illness forcing a tap out.

7. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    From Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Alone/photos/a.1454395634857836/2101977780099615/?type=3&theater:
    "
    Tim Backus Ok. I was given the idea to make this its own comment. Good smart people on here. I’m not great at this part but here goes.
    I had set my camera down I. A shelve of rock about six feet taller than the beach. I had been informed that a med check was happening. I replied no I was going hunting. They told me to stay put. The beach actually was he best spot I had found to fish from and there was even a rivulet between the shore and a small island I could build a weir. I found a shovel. A board previously used for cleaning fish. My first ever reindeer antler shed. But the beach itself was the find. Sandy whereas everywhere else I had was sharply hurting rock out further than I could cast. I got tired of waiting and jumped up from the beach onto two boulders that were side by side to jump back up to the level where my camera was. I was just off to the side of he camera (conspiracy theorists- go) so we didn’t actually get to see it but the camera picked up all the audio. My other cameras had died so all I had left was handheld JVC. You can hear the pop if you listen. It was a long time lapse from when I fell. Had to climb up the rock face to get onto the level of my camera and gear. Crawl to it. That’s when you hear me puking halfway to the camera. My toe got snagged on a small rock and pulled my leg and knee. Bone on bone. Finally got back to the camera. Spent some time moving and assessing. Then time thinking. Coming to the decision to tap was the right thing to do but a very hard thing to do. I had promised my kids I would not risk permanent injury. Been there too many times and I guess none of them want to spoon feed me and change my diapers. It was embarrassing to tap but I really had no choice. I can almost walk a quarter mile now without it swelling up. I had a small fracture in my ankle. I recracked my shin bone where a wild boar had bit it and cracked it a few years ago. Tore all the ligaments in my knee. Need it replaced but I’m trying to put hat off for as many years as possible. Thanks for all the well wishes. Even the negative comments. You’re watching the show and that’s what counts. If it weren’t for us fans here would t be a show!"

Its a ways down in the comments.

8. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Guide

Blog Posts:
    finally watched it- good to see some active fishing- would have liked to have seen more about the fly that he made- and the paracord on hook lure was a good idea too.

polar bear, elkhound, BBizy and 6 others like this.
  9. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I thought this would be the case. There is a fellow over on fbook that some of the participants have been posting on, who says he was on the support crew back at base camp. He said that the lake went from open water to enough ice for him to walk 200 ft from shore in 24 hours. In another day, he went out 400 feet and was over 5" of ice.
    That's much faster than I've ever seen it freeze, but he said it got bitter cold quickly. I think he was hinting that it fell to -30 (didn't specify F or C). I've never been around that kind of a drop so

Here is an excerpt from this post:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ALONE.Series/permalink/2227507670659715/

Another thing we lived every day was the weather. We physically witnessed a large body of water surrender itself to winter. When the freeze hit there was a bay near camp and within 24 hours I was 200 feet off shore on ice and within 48 hours was 400 feet off shore on 5 inches of ice......and that was from open water to frozen !!!!

One night the north wind came hard and it was in -30s without wind......we had 3 heaters in our cabin and it was probably in the minus 20s inside our cabin.......my dogs water froze solid that night......but yet these participants were out in the feild in homemade shelters and not tapping out!!!!!! Was absolutely crazy to witness first hand !

10. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is shaping up to be the most intense season yet.

11. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
  12. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info @Walking Crow . I suppose things like that happen, but I wouldn’t want to plan on it.
    Hope we get to see them do more fishing.

13. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Who haven't we seen? Woniya and anybody else?

14. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Don't remember seeing Brady Nicholls yet either.

15. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    The cold must have been brutal. There was talk of Silky pull saws vs a buck saw / bow saw. I have three different silky saws, Pocket Boy, Big Boy, and the smallest Katana Boy. Great saws! They each have their place. But for an extended trip I always take my bucksaw. I get tired of pulling cuts with one hand as you end up doing with a pull saw on small wood. Maybe make some kind of break to hold the wood, But with a buck saw this is how I process small wood up to 3" Oh, and the fellow that had the little island of trees in the burn area, he had an abundance of fire wood, at least, something that would be critical in such an area.

16. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Totally noob knife technique. And she says, "I was being so careful." :rolleyes:

I was like... what? Seriously?

And I had high hopes for Donny.

17. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Skills Practitioner Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just watched the first two episodes...

I couldn’t sleep so I figured why not.

18. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I yell at the screen so much while watching it... did you sleep after all that comedy?

Torrin, Caleb Cox, M.Hatfield and 9 others like this.
  19. Dogrobber

Dogrobber Scout

Blog Posts:
    The knife/sharp things accidents almost always seem to happen on camera...I think the distraction of trying to say something interesting and framing the action knocks being mindful of what you're doing out of primary attention. Distraction equals disaster.

20. XMP

XMP Mountain Man Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not to dive too deep into the nutrition aspect, but I really think it would be wise for contestants to transition to a ketogenic diet before they go. The transition into ketosis (fat-burning, in simple terms) makes you feel lousy and makes concentration difficult. Most of the contestants go through this during the contest itself.

Falling down due to compromised coordination, and poor decision making and execution like cutting yourself all are likely partly attributable to this physiological shifting gears effect.

21. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Skills Practitioner Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree with that as a factor @XMP A Paleo or Keto based diet would be less drastic of a change to the system. It takes 2-3 weeks for you to adjust to big diet changes. Some folks it can be up to 6 weeks.

When I was extremely disciplined ( while I was active duty) a few years back I switched to a Paleo based diet.
    The first 3-5 days were the hardest. Dizziness, quickly fatigued. It took me about 12-14 days to feel good on the switch for the diet. Once the switch actually happened I felt extremely better.

Then the switch felt awesome physically and mentally. My blood work was insane on nutrients density.

I have been much less disciplined as of late, and it shows...

Thanks,

Jarrod

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  22. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    yes yes yes. to elhounds post about real long term experience .

great point

felt so bad for Donny..he went from excitement to excruiating pain!

23. Berner9

Berner9 Adventure Often! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I was Ray I’d use my dreads for some duff to make flys

Torrin, Broke, M.Hatfield and 7 others like this.
  24. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
  25. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Now, let me get this straight...while still at home most contestants are trying to bulk up because Fowler and Sam showed that "pounds win", right? But they are also supposed to be transitioning to a keto diet so they will be used to it when they arrive. But when they get to base camp they are not dropped off on site right away. There is at least a week of briefings and whatever and during this time they are eating what is provided, which may be local cuisine (or not) but likely is not a keto diet.

Now it is drop time and those first few days of acclimatization. Seems some folks were going hungry for a few of those days....

And when food does arrive, it maybe isn't anything the system is used to processing.

Seems as if those digestive systems might just be ready to throw up their hands in frustration. OH! wait! Their digestive systems don't have hands so they just throw up???

26. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Woniya Thibeault planned some fasting and ketosis for her prep:

27. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Many on the keto diet also fast for a day or three. I have been on a low or no carb diet for almost two years. I haven't taken on fasting but my wife does. Some good info out there on fasting benefits. Getting off carbs is tricky, you know its happening, you don't just drop that input into your body and not go through some process. For sure do it before going out. As for the diet they feed you prior, maybe you can request no carbs before you head out.

BBizy, M.Hatfield, NevadaBlue and 5 others like this.
  28. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    wonyia made lots of her own gear...the parka she made is awesome and she made her boots as well not just the felt inserts. as show goes on she will tell more about them she says in video.this woman has some serious skills i cant wait to see how she does out there.

boots

salty dog, BBizy, M.Hatfield and 6 others like this.
  29. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
  30. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I thought of the dreadlocks and the coat as possible sources of fly material- too bad they did not show the process..and just did like a few second blurry flashback thingy- kind of a odd as it would have been quite interesting to see - to me at least.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    BBizy, M.Hatfield, bacpacjac and 4 others like this.
  31. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Barry was asked by production to shave his beard. Larry Roberts said they almost had a mutiny when they asked everyone to shave their beards in Season 5. Maybe they didn't want them making flies from their beard hair :)

BBizy, bacpacjac, NevadaBlue and 4 others like this.
  32. Winterhorse

Blog Posts:
    I was just about to say the same thing.
    Beat me to it.

morganbw, BBizy, M.Hatfield and 5 others like this.
  33. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Maybe the food they give them before they launch is a test of strong stomachs. Like when the astronauts used to eat greasy breakfast before launch just to prove nothing could make them throw up. Or @samexplores eating leeches.

CPRPE, morganbw, BBizy and 7 others like this.
  34. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    just thinking out loud here...when jordan jonas shows that vast burn area...at first thought ya go oh man...buts ..it could be a blessing...why do i say this. i seen a comment on a youtube video by someone on this years show that they had a hard time finding dead trees to cut for firewood. so keep in mind and depending on how long ago the burn was it could be a bonus in that all that regrowth is browse for the moose and muskox and also grouse love burnt areas. i am sure the snowshoe hare does as well. i know morel mushrooms like burned areas but that spring time not sure about other types of shrooms in burnt areas.

also the regrowth should be lots of huckleberry or whatever is their main berry in this region.

35. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Guide

Blog Posts:
    good point...virtually unlimited charcoal supply.

BBizy, M.Hatfield, bacpacjac and 5 others like this.
  36. Winterhorse

Blog Posts:
    If there was a couple years or more of regrowth then he might have hit the jackpot. If that was this years burn then he may have just a lot of fire wood with little to cook.
    The little blurb that popped up while he was talking about it said something about each site having pluses and minuses.
    Cheap wood would be a plus but no game would be a fatal minus unless he had some dynamite luck fishing.

elkhound, morganbw, BBizy and 5 others like this.
  37. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Speaking of charcoal, I wonder if Donny had tried eating any charcoal for his intestinal distress?

Torrin, elkhound, El Duderino and 8 others like this.
  38. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:

A snare tutorial from Michelle and we see her using boulders as part of her shelter.

elkhound, morganbw, BBizy and 5 others like this.
  39. Winterhorse

Blog Posts:
    I wondered the same thing.
    What ever he did, didn’t work.
    Sure was sad to see him go out
    Like that.

elkhound, morganbw, BBizy and 7 others like this.
  40. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wrong season but I was watching season 5, episode 9 and noticed Dave had a book in the background. Looks like it said Alone on it. Anybody know what this was for?

morganbw, BBizy, M.Hatfield and 4 others like this.
  41. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Secret rules for Alone.

Torrin, elkhound, BBizy and 6 others like this.
  42. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    You can also see further in a burn area. It looked a little barren but not too bad. Its a natural part of the system and life Wants to live. I think the burn has more + than -.

43. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hunting regulations.

elkhound, BBizy, M.Hatfield and 3 others like this.
  44. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Are you guessing or are you sure? And if sure, how do you know?

elkhound, BBizy, M.Hatfield and 3 others like this.
  45. Burncycle

Burncycle Scout

Blog Posts:

Going into Ketosis (but with ample calories) and getting off caffeine well before the start would be what I'd opt for, along with Pemmican as the emergency ration options. Things would be bad enough without having caffeine withdrawal headaches!

46. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Both. A contestant did comment on a forum about a small book seen on the show being the hunting regulations. ( I think Sam, on Reddit, but my memory isn't that clear.) I am guessing it is the same small book.

bacpacjac, elkhound, morganbw and 2 others like this.
  47. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Dropping coffee would be a big one, for sure.

Torrin, Scotchmon, elkhound and 5 others like this.
  48. Winterhorse

Blog Posts:
    The thing that bothered me most was his saying something about it not being, “fair” getting a burn area.
    To me that sounds like he’s starting to make an excuse for tapping.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  49. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    For me, the big drop would be chocolate. I don't even like coffee :)

KFF, Justin_Cloer, bacpacjac and 5 others like this.
  50. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would be in trouble. I like chocolate so much that I recently started adding hot chocolate mix to my second pot of coffee for the day.