Alright La

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by The Hunter, Jul 11, 2012.

1. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok guys the time has come to plan another gathering and soon and if yall are up to it maybe a couple challenges. Primitive camp or not is cool with me but I must make plans far enough ahead to be able to attend. We have a great state and plenty of knowledgeable people as well so there is no reason we cant be more active. I mean we are Louisiana. Toughest state in the south!

Even if its just an overnight or a one nighter lets get something going.

Any suggestions?

2. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    At the very least North east La can plan something. we have several just in and around the parish.

3. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have been dying to try canoe camping...jus sayin

4. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    I love a canoe... especially in LA (hardly any portages)... iirc, someone suggested either Saline or Black Lake, up between Winnfield and Natchitoches, last time. I guess it's part of the Kistachie, but someone who's been there will have to chime in with exactly what/where.

I love the Neches, but that's over in TX. Couple of us were talking about doing a longer trip (3-4 overnights) at some point.

The Sabine is good too, but there are a lot of folks with camps on it. My deer lease touches it though, and I would ask if we could camp there (especially outside deer season). I'm kinda thinking put in at Hwy 8 and go from there (about 5 miles. Not certain of the distance though.)

Calcasieu and WhiskyChitto are good too, but not really central to everyone. The upper end of the WC is pretty rough, and probably more so after Rita, Ike, and Katrina (downed trees take years to rot away.) The lower end is very popular with the younger crowds out of nearby cities, becoming a drunk fest/spring-break type atmosphere from what i hear. what i experienced in 2003 (my last trip there) wasn't horrible, but bad enough that i can believe it's gotten worse.

I hear good things are good in the Atchafalaya too. I'm not picky, so long as it's remote and the water's clean.

If not a canoe trip, maybe the central Kisatchie is the way to go.

5. NELABushman

NELABushman Scout

Blog Posts:
    As long as we plan this ahead o time enough I should be a go. If its a float or canoe deal, then I'll have to ride along with someone or sit it out as I don't have access to a boat. However I'm game for just about anything. I'll keep checkin for updates and hope against hope I'll be able to attend.... Finally! Lol barring any new family emergencies I should be good.

-Dave-
    Dia Leat.

6. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Swamp rat and I will group up if we can get the dates down.

7. DSonnier

DSonnier Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to make it if I'm home. I have a 12' flatbottom boat and a flatback canoe. I've been wanting to try this hammock camping. Never heard of it before I found this site.

8. Mad Russian

Mad Russian Scout

Blog Posts:
    You plan on doing this soon or waiting for the temps to drop?

9. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Temps to drop is good or not. Oct deer season starts so be aware.

10. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    you missed a hammockfest last time... i had mine, Rat and his son each had one, and when Kat showed up, there were 6 more! (i still laugh, remembering his 4 teens setting theirs up.) The Kid had a tent.

11. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am pretty much hammock or nothing except in the winter. Still working on that and like the wheelen setup or the cabin setup :)

I will be trapping gators with a friend in September so it will be tight then. Its just one of those things to try and juggle :)

12. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    personally, outside opening weekend, i'd be ok with an outing with you all during the season, in exchange for the cooler/nicer weather. i'm not a very good hunter, i just like to be outside. however, a public forest might also be full of hunters during that time.

Rat and Kat, you haven't said much...

13. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm good with just about anything right now. I want to try canoe camping but it is certainly not a deal breaker. I am going to do it one way or the other I just thought you guys might want a good laugh :)
    My preference is someplace where hammocks can be used. I am open to a men's trip or family trip I just want to get out and do something. Enjoyed the spring outing a lot. I have more experience with hammocks and most of the kids can set up their own now so I should be less stressed out. I have been working a ton of OT and have a whole box of new toys I haven't played with yet so I am chomping at the bit.

14. DSonnier

DSonnier Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just post when y'all decide on a date. I train dogs from February to September, then I'm usually in the woods chasing ducks from September to February. But I have 7 days off at a time so I can usually juggle my plans around. The only other thing to stop me is if I'm on land or in the gulf at work.

15. wildbayouvdo

wildbayouvdo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There's really nothing down south for canoe/camping everything is private land all along the bogachitta (spelled it wrong so it could be pronounced correctly, lol)

Let me know if I can help out with anything.

The week after thanksgiving I'm back in Arkansas on a bear hunt, so hopefully y'all won't plan the trip then.

16. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just found the thread, but you know I am ready. I prefer cooler temps for camping, but if we are canoeing at least we can hop in the water to cool off.

17. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey dont get that becker wet it might shrink!

18. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    It has even soaked along with me working in AR this week. I don't know how much it has rained up there, but the bull frogs are looking for high ground.