Alternatives to Word and Excel?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gruxxx, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Gruxxx

Gruxxx Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have and recommendations for an alternative to Word and Excel that is NOT Google Docs or some other web based program? The new $100/yr subscription is not appealing, nor is anything web based.

2. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Drift, blind & lost, Gruxxx and 6 others like this.
  3. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Open Office.

blind & lost, Gruxxx, DKR and 6 others like this.
  4. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How do you guys like open office? I tried using it several years ago and found it very cumbersome and hard to use. It also didn't integrate well with the MS products we used at work.

Gruxxx likes this.
  5. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like it. It has worked with Word documents when I wanted to. I don’t want to any more. I use Windows on one PC of mine and one of my wife’s only because I have to. I have some CNC knife software that won’t run on linux. Grrr... (CNC knife is a Silhouette Curio)

Gruxxx, Winterhorse and Tangotag like this.
  6. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Libre Office
    https://www.libreoffice.org/
    Forked off from Open Office in 2010. I set defaults to save as .doc / .docx and .xls /.xlsx files. That keeps things easy for compatability. I have it installed on all my Win and Linux machines. Auto runs thesaurus in addition to spell check. Also can save documents as .pdf when needed.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  7. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've had good luck with Open Office -- the newer versions play better with MS Office.

Gruxxx, GreyOne, Winterhorse and 2 others like this.
  8. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a long-time user of non-MS office suites. Openoffice has mostly fallen by the wayside, Libreoffice is about the best now.

I have found two quirks in Libreoffice. Some complicated formulae in Excel do not translate properly. The other one is infuriating, but there's no good way to fix it. Sometimes when someone creating a document doesn't know about basic layout? Instead of telling it to center justify, they just manually add a bunch of spaces, so that it looks good on their screen. My mom used to do this, but she is old, and gets a pass for being a cool old lady doing this in the first place (she's 87, been online since 1983. She is a spreadsheet monster.).

Sometimes this works in other versions of Word, sometimes it does not. It rarely works in other office suites.

Libreoffice is actually more compatible now with more versions of MS Word, than MS Word itself is.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  9. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer

Blog Posts:
    I like libre office also...

Gruxxx, GreyOne, WY_Not and 1 other person like this.
  10. DennisC

DennisC Tracker

Blog Posts:
    yep open office. works fine for me.

11. Gerald_G

Gerald_G Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I used Open Office in an MS office work environment for years and no one else noticed.
    Still use it at home.

Gruxxx, JasonJ, GreyOne and 1 other person like this.
  12. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Another vote for Open Office.

Gruxxx and GreyOne like this.
  13. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Libre Ofice here as well. I've used both and much prefer Libre Office. Run it on my PC at home and the Portable Apps version on an encrypted memory stick I carry.

Gruxxx, Gumbi, marbleman and 2 others like this.
  14. vdeal

vdeal Guide

Blog Posts:
    Open Office and Libre Office - versions for both Mac and Windows and some flavors of Linux. If you're on Linux there used to be AbiWord. I'm a Mac guy and use Pages and Numbers by Apple - pretty simple and can import and export to MS Office. There are several other standalone products out there - Nisus Writer, NeoOffice, etc. Just do a web search.

Gruxxx and marbleman like this.
  15. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    +1 for OpenOffice

Gruxxx likes this.
  16. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Open Office.
    How do you guys like open office? I tried using it several years ago and found it very cumbersome and hard to use. It also didn't integrate well with the MS products we used at work.
    --------

Open office is useless for work related environments
    when other programs open openoffice docs the formatting and type fonts gets scrambled and is hard to read very unprofresional.
    you can use various freebies but bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Gruxxx likes this.
  17. vdeal

vdeal Guide

Blog Posts:
    Open Office was discontinued by Oracle and given to Apache. The latest major release of Open Office was in 2014 with minor updates since. LibreOffice is actively maintained and would be a better option for Windows users. I've had no problems with files on it opening correctly on MS Word for Mac.

Gruxxx, marbleman, 1066vik and 2 others like this.
  18. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had the same thoughts when I got a new computer without Microsoft office and saw the price tag to buy it. I downloaded libre office for free. It has all the capabilities for word, Excel, power point to, etc. I've only really used the word processor to create new files but it works fine reading spreadsheets and power points. I downloaded a version for my PC and an app for my phone as well.

Gruxxx likes this.
  19. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @NevadaBlue got there first. I haven't used open office since 2006 or so. MS office at that time was stupid expensive open office was a good alternative.
    Cheers Jim

Gruxxx likes this.
  20. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    I tried to implement OpenOffice years ago at my workplace. It doesn't take too many seats before the freedom from MS License fees start to add up. Unfortunately, the average person didn't know how to set the default save format to .doc When they saved it in the default ODF format, couldn't figure out the "Save As", either.

They would save it as the native .ODF format. Then when they sent to people outside the company, and the other people couldn't read it with MS Office? "This open-sourse stuff sucks, we need to go back to paying the Microsoft Tax". I could convince them to try it, but I couldn't support hundreds of users.

Gruxxx, Lichen and JasonJ like this.
  21. The Private

The Private Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey @Gruxxx , I am the digitaldoctor... I run a pro recording install business, I am also a certified mac technician.. are you on a pc or a mac...
    Pages and numbers are the only way to go now on a mac.. than will open almost any file or docx and you can save to any format as well.. for free when you get an new Apple cpu...

Gruxxx likes this.
  22. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Windows domain network? Use a GPO to deploy a quick script to set default file format in OpenOffice. Something to think about for next time.

Gruxxx likes this.
  23. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So, I downloaded libre to my computer last night, but haven't opened it yet.

Also looked for the Android version. I can't seem to find a full version for Android? Seems mostly just a viewer? Is there a full version available?

Gruxxx likes this.
  24. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Looks like just viewer for now.

Gruxxx and gohammergo like this.
  25. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info! I'm installing Liber office right now.

Update: It works! Saved it as .doc.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Tangotag, GreyOne and Gruxxx like this.
  26. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Libre office or open office .org

Free, has a full suit of stuff similar to MS OFFICE and can open and save in MS formats if you need to send a file comparable with MS junk.

Besides gaming I might suggest you consider looking at a simple linux such as MINT, or Ubuntu. If you want uber stable look at debian linux.

All of them come with a GUI , a office suite and most have linux versions of common windows stuff like picture editing or watching youtubes, etc.

You can download a bootable version to a flash drive and set your BIOS to boot from the flash drive first, then your HD in the bios setup area. Try the linux before you install it.

While current computers really try to make it hard, it is possible to set up a duel boot where at launch you get a choice of boot to windoze or linux.

Also a plus is linux can make older machines perform much better and have a much smaller "footprint" and don't hog so much ram. I've used the "lite" linux versions to get old 286 and 386 machines back up and running to be able to get old files off of them.

For a time I would get the old cast off systems when local schools replaced them with newer systems and then put a linux destro on em and pass em on to older friends who mostly wanted to check email, do light web browsing or maybe fakebook to see the grand kids pictures and stuff. Then I'd hold a seminar at the church or senior center and help them learn basic puter skills translated to old folk speak.

Got a lot of nice homecooked food from them and made a lot of friends. My son's got a lot of yard work jobs and such.

Never took any money, I was just paying it forward.

Drift, Gruxxx, 1066vik and 2 others like this.
  27. Eugene

Eugene Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Drift and Gruxxx like this.
  28. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    been running Ubuntu on my 2008 toshiba laptop since vista stopped being supported.

Drift and Gruxxx like this.
  29. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    No, the AD admins were not on board with this, so they didn't play along. This was years ago, I was just a squeaky wheel, that convinced my superiors to try it.

JasonJ and Gruxxx like this.
  30. Gruxxx

Gruxxx Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the responses. I tried LibreOffice and it worked... passably... editing an existing Word doc with photos. I realize you can only expect so much with freeware...

JasonJ likes this.
  31. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's unfortunate. As a sys admin, I wouldn't care what software was used so long as it was productive, the users knew how to use it, and it was authorized ( I hate it when a dept or an individual tries or succeeds in installing whatever X software they want because they think it's good). Usually it's spyware or bloated with ads and browser add-ins no one needs. ugh.

True, but also consider that any company worth a threat to larger software developers usually gets swallowed up and bought up quickly. This is how Microsoft came to acquire much of their software library. They did not invent Windows, or most of the components of Office.... they bought the code and the rights from other companies that did and then made it their own. Improved it significantly over the decades, of course... but they are not innovators in any sense. So cost is somewhat a part of it, but "you get what you pay for" does not apply universally.

32. beacon

Blog Posts:
    That's a really unfair characterization of MSFT. While I'm not a fan of their products, you can't honestly argue that they've not been significant innovators over the years. They brought computers to the masses. And while they didn't invent the Graphical User Interface concept, they didn't buy Windows. Xerox PARC invented the GUI, and Apple basically stole it from them (the actual source code), and then MSFT duplicated it themselves (for which Apple tried to sue them).

I'm a mac user today, and MSFT has been trying to redefine its identity, but you can't take away what they've done, IMHO.

marbleman likes this.
  33. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    And Bill Gates bought DOS, from Seattle Computer Products. To me, the most historical thing DOS/Windows did, was bring a unified hardware platform (x86). It used to be that a peripheral from one hardware platform wouldn't work on another. Once DOS?Windows worked (or could be made to work, with drivers) on nearly all hardware, only then did home computers become widespread. You didn't have to buy a SPARC, or a Commodore disk drive any more.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    beacon likes this.
  34. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Apple didn't steal the GUI concept- evidenced by your use of the word "basically". Legally, no they did not. They all had agreements with Xerox during that tour that anything they saw was not a secret and they could ask any and all questions about it- that was Xerox being dumb and not protecting an asset that they could not see as valuable at the time. Xerox had made so many mistakes in their take on the GUI, they thought it was just an OK idea but one that failed. Even Larry Tesler of Xerox knew that when Jobs and company saw and understood what was going on at PARC, the thing that Xerox execs had no clue what to do with, it was understood by those who could and would do something great with it.

Also don't forget that Xerox PARC received a lucrative Apple stock deal in exchange for those two visits. While Apple may have taken those ideas and ran with it, Xerox didn't get nothing in return. We shouldn't speak about it as if it was some clandestine corporate espionage act. They took no code at all from Xerox, not a single line. Inspired, absolutely.. but the end product was completely different in operation. It's equivalent of saying someone had the idea of drinking out of cups... so any rounded vessel that was created to hold liquid thereafter was stolen from this original person. Only the broadest of concepts were used here.

I'll grant that MS has made private ownership of computing what it is today; they certainly made it accessible. But I stand by the fact that their acquisition of various software companies early on, in lieu of developing the concepts and products themselves, instead choosing to rebrand it, repackage it, and integrate it into their own software lineup was, while strategically genius, not innovative on their own part. Microsoft became who they are today by being a company of copiers and collectors of good ideas.

vdeal likes this.
  35. beacon

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I concede that Apple didn't actually "steal" anything.

From whom did MSFT purchase/acquire Windows?

36. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    @beacon, my mistake, I was thinking of DOS. MSFT was "inspired" to create Windows the same as Apple was for the Lisa GUI OS/MacOS. Granted, most of the component parts of Windows were licensed from Apple's own OS. Windows 1.x wasn't even an operating system, it was an operating environment extending the functionality of DOS.

The group (Seattle Computer Products) that they got DOS was from screwed hard too... it seemed like a lot of money at the time ($50,000), but was really a pittance compared to MSFT's first year profits from it. But then again, like Xerox, they couldn't see the significance of what they had there.

beacon likes this.
  37. beacon

Blog Posts:
    The DOS acquisition is well-known; you can call it shrewdness on Gate's part.

Again, my only real point (opinion?) is that MSFT did offer a lot of innovation (e.g., Windows, PnP), and I think it's unfair to cast them as an aggregator/integrator/reseller. I could be wrong.

JasonJ likes this.
  38. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    Much progress is derivative. Stanford had a mouse, of sorts, in 1968. They did not exactly set the world on fire with it, but others later did.

[​IMG]

JasonJ and beacon like this.
  39. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    I just wish GeoWorks had caught on and made the leap from operating environment to operating system. :( Everything Win3.X/Office could do in a 1/10th of the HD space.

marbleman and JasonJ like this.
  40. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I suppose you're right. I've been thinking about it more in between our discussion comments. I was a bit harsh on them in the original post. Perhaps it is the lack of anything new and original from them (hell.. from anyone!) lately that has my mindset stuck in a 90s era conglomerate bully sort of view of the company. I do think that they are a huge integrator/reseller though. But to be fair, so are many tech companies now. It's just become the way to expand your product lines. I'm thinking specifically of MSFT's acquisition and integration of Skype, Visio, Hotmail, etc. But I suppose that's how you get bigger, richer, and more powerful as a tech company, which is what they all do as SOP now.

marbleman and beacon like this.
  41. beacon

Blog Posts:
    I've been in this business for over 20 years. Once companies grow to such sizes, it's cheaper to acquire tech from start-ups. In my career, I've worked for 5-person start-ups, the largest software companies in the world, and some in between. The big companies have too much overhead in release maintenance responsibilities and product integrations.

JasonJ and marbleman like this.
  42. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Makes sense. Thanks for the insight. The company my brother works for had been growing exponentially over the past few years, from 50 people up to 600+; they were just acquired by Cisco.

It does make sense that the larger companies have the capital and marketing abilities to bring new products to market that the original creators and startups simply don't have.

43. Eugene

Eugene Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Except windows wasn't innovative, it was a copy. PnP was in MicroChannel and OS/2 before any Mircosoft software.

The DOS acquisition was just luck. IBM went to Gates daddy and daddy laughed at the 'PC' and gave it to his son to learn the business. Gates didn't have anything to offer so he went and found a little company in the back of an early computer magazine. His idea to license instead of sell wasn't even anything as thats how daddy's mainframe software company did it, so he simply did the same thing.

JasonJ likes this.
  44. Damian1690

Damian1690 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For what it’s worth, I recently bought an Office 2016 Professional product key and backup disc off eBay for $50 so I didn’t have to do a subscription and, of course, to save some money on the standalone version.

It was a gamble on whether or not it was legit, but it worked and registered through the online authentication process. Might be helpful to someone. I’d post a link but apparently the seller is out of stock.

JasonJ likes this.
  45. Eugene

Eugene Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It might work today but you don't know if it will work tomorrow. Its a lot better to have software that someone else can't turn off.

46. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    We use LibreOffice on Linux machines for every computer in our corporation. You could also use OpenOffice. They are both fantastic.

Jon.

Drift and JasonJ like this.
  47. Eugene

Eugene Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had more problems (at work) with Microsoft stuff. I reported a couple big issues with office2013 only to be told I was crazy that there was no way those issues would have made it past their testing. Then a year later saw both issues listed in the first service pack.
    I've had excel crash a number of times while saving leaving temp files. about 50% of the time they can be recovered. I've found Libre/openoffice to be much more robust.

Drift, BBizy and JasonJ like this.
  48. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    Like NevadaBlue says--open office

Drift likes this.
  49. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree, it is cumbersome, but only when you want to integrate with Office. Is really bad if you have a trial version of Office on your computer.