Always be ready

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Usingmyrights, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is a small reminder of why to always be ready for the unknown. Simple things such as a well stocked first aid kit, not letting needed medication almost run out before going to the pharmacy, having the means to move obstructions to leave your home if need me. A chainsaw does no good if you don't have gas/oil for it. The's photos are from a small, short lived Cat 1 that occurred about 10 minutes from me. The storm was a week ago, but I wasn't able to get photos then. Quite a bit of clean had already been done. One piece of property had a bunch of smaller pines snapped off about a 1/3-1/2 way up. I was trying to catch someone today to see about getting some of the downed oak, but didn't see anyone outside at the time.
    20170214_093111.jpg

20170214_093201.jpg

20170214_093358.jpg

20170214_093417_001.jpg

20170214_093339.jpg

As mentioned, there was a good bit more damage than this, but a lot has already been cleaned up. No reported injuries. I'm not sure about the houses further back on the lot pictured with the most damage. I'm guessing the tornado came off of the old lake bed behind it, so they probably got the full brunt of it.

actichy, Guy, central joe and 13 others like this.
  2. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    They're still doing cleanup. I might have to stop by this weekend and try to get some oak to season for next winter.

Guy and Bitterroot Native like this.
  3. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    People always think of preparing for the big one, the society collapsing event. It's the smaller localized and even individual disasters that are most likely to fall on us. Good post! Anything can happen at anytime. Had a tree fall in my backyard a few weeks ago, luckily it missed the house. I cut it all up with an axe/bowsaw :dblthumb:

4. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you can get access, check in the tops of those pines for some fat wood. I used to find it where branches had broken when i lived in NC......
    Yep, it's the simple/small things that will bite you.

Guy, Maurice 7 and Usingmyrights like this.
  5. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    I've got probably a few hundred pounds of fatwood on my property. I grab good pieces here and there when I find it, but I'm more interested in the oak.

Woodsman Wannabe and Guy like this.