Always wanted a sword....

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by RJM52, May 14, 2019 at 8:15 AM.

1. RJM52

RJM52 Guide

Blog Posts:
    ...but reality kept me from buying one... Really love the Cold Steel Crissa Katana but what would I do with it...

Then CS came out with a katana machete that had almost the same length blade but in watching some of the cutting tests I could see the machete thickness blade "wobble" a little when doing some of the cutting tests...so have put off buying one...

Another sword I really liked is the Chinese War Sword...and when CS came out with the machete a couple of years ago I never lucked into one. Recently they improved the handle material/texture to make it look more of a cord wrapped sword and after seeing the video where it severed 15 1" pieces of hemp rope I was sold...

This is over double what the Katana Machete can do...and no wobble....

Was able to get one a few weeks ago but have not been able to get out to do some chopping with it... It is cheap enough you can have a great time without worry....

Bob

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 8:39 AM
  2. Myr1ad

Myr1ad Scout

Blog Posts:
    I fought in competition live steel combat for many years. I fought is full armor against other people with real swords, edge blunted. I have cut countless items with an array of different blades. I also briefly apprenticed with a smith who made swords, and participated in many blade tests.
    In high speed camera footage you will see wobble in most blades, even very expensive “real” blades. Hitting any cut a slight miss angle or hitting something internal to the cut, will cause the blade to wobble. In fact you want the wobble, it means that the blade survived a “problem”. By that I mean that it flexed instead of breaking when it overcame an operator error. That error could have been cutting technique, or that the tool was not suited for what the operator was attempting to cut.
    The only time you should be concerned is if the blade keeps a bend after the cut is finished. The most common issue is a wrist “break” or twist prior to contacting the cut surface. Swords need to end of the swing and the intended cut to be a perfect plane or straight line both along the blade and across the blade.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 10:10 AM
    arleigh, Madwell, jasam and 11 others like this.
  3. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    There are three that I want. In no particular order: a rapier, 1860 naval cutlass, USMC NCO saber. Probably after the kids start leaving home.

Jim L., MrFixIt and central joe like this.
  4. RJM52

RJM52 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Myr...thank you for your knowledgeable insight....

In this case the flexing of the blade I believe was due to the fact that the metal was too thin, as in machete thickness, for the length and width of the blade...

The blade on the CS Katana Machete is about the same length as the Chinese War Sword but has a very narrow blade width it's entire length. When it cuts through something you can see the blade flexing slowing down the cut...

Ragman, alukban and freebirdfb like this.
  5. Derzis

Derzis Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wobble is not a problem unless the sword is having that "noodle" feeling. Even then, some sword geometry will have a "natural" bent if you hold the blade horizontally and still be a very good slicer - physics trips beliefs. The single issue will be "how noodle-ish I accept a sword to be?" A katana usually is not noodle-ish if I am comparing it with a Great Sword of War. The wobble due to a bad cutting technique is a good point for the sword itself - as long as it doesn't change the sword geometry after.

Ragman and freebirdfb like this.
  6. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How much you want to bet CS touched up the edge after every cut in that YT video... which may or may not have needed many takes to get right. Now go do half of those cuts with the same blade, right off the factory floor and let's see if it does the same thing.

freebirdfb likes this.
  7. floogy

floogy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Probably. But the CS machete swords are super cheap for doing fun stuff you wouldn't do with a real sword. Most are $20-30.

I only have one of their machetes, but it came pretty sharp for a machete.

j_d, freebirdfb and JasonJ like this.
  8. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got the CS Katana Machete for my son for Valentine’s Day :D

The plastic grip is ridiculously sharp edged - like a mock/faux cord wrap. It is an unworkable hand-rasp. I put a bicycle inner tube over it but it is still kinda “protrudy”. I may need to file it down.

freebirdfb, Ragman and JasonJ like this.
  9. RJM52

RJM52 Guide

Blog Posts:
    ...what a "sweet" father...did you remember to get your wife something!!!

I didn't notice mine having very sharp edges on the handle but will check shortly...a quick wrap of Wilson grip tape usually cures most ills...

Bob

freebirdfb and alukban like this.
  10. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I enjoy my old style one a lot.

freebirdfb likes this.
  11. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    That was very graphic video. In case you're wondering, the cow, pig and turkeys all died!

freebirdfb likes this.
  12. DirtyPhill

DirtyPhill Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Something about a Coldsteel video always brings out the inner child in me and that desire to own a war hammer and sword.

freebirdfb and ExAF1N1 like this.
  13. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    freebirdfb likes this.
  14. RJM52

RJM52 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Those are very beautiful, but I doubt that I would be wanting to clear brush around any rocks with a $200 machete...

"That was very graphic video. In case you're wondering, the cow, pig and turkeys all died!"...true but they were long dead before cut into serving size pieces....

freebirdfb likes this.
  15. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Add that title to :

Words I’ve never uttered. :).

freebirdfb likes this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I had the most fun in my life learning fencing with my son . Though it is very different than fighting with broad swords this skill teaches you something about the art and the foil are far more durable than broad swords .
    We graduated to broad swords eventually but it was not as fun, and it is expensive too by comparison . so we went back to the foil and other related blades. Some good schools actually have fencing which you can watch on the side , we got our training through a parks and recreation program .
    a significant difference is that the smaller person tends to be faster, question is accuracy and reading your opponent .
    Broad sword fighting you are not allowed to thrust, only hacking motions are allowed, but foil is the opposite only thrusting motions are used .

freebirdfb likes this.
  17. JD Miller

JD Miller Scout

Blog Posts:
    Those are scary !,,,,, They are more than 4 inches long too...:eek::eek:

:D

18. JeffG

JeffG Scout

Blog Posts:
    You might want to look at these. Their 9260, 1060, and 1045 spring steel models are combat funtional. I own a couple. They don't break the bank.

http://www.chenessinc.com/