Am I Really a Bushcrafter?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Muskeg_Stomper, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Muskeg_Stomper

Muskeg_Stomper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been lurking here on the forum a bit and have replied on a few topics. I don't consider myself a bushcrafter but I'm quite comfortable in the Alaska backcountry where I've lived, worked and recreated for years. I make some of my own gear, use plenty of my old military gear (what hasn't worn out) and generally get by with whatever doesn't cost money. I don't want to appear to be a troll but I laugh at some of you who spend huge money on custom scandi-ground knives or wool blanket anoraks made by someone else and then spend a weekend in a debris hut. I know that we all have to start somewhere but really in my mind bushcraft is really about just making do with what you've got. So, does that make me a bushcrafter?

By the way, I joined the forum because many of you are just very creative and we can all learn from each other.

My name is Russ but Muskeg works just fine too.

2. lodge camper

lodge camper Scout

Blog Posts:
    you can be called bushcrafter if you want. not everybody knows what one is, though. woodsman is term everybody knows. alaskan woodsman is even better title. sure beats nebraskan woodsman. welcome russ.

3. egricheson81

egricheson81 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Don't worry about other people. I don't understand why people care what other people spend their money on or what they are interested in... and nobody cares if you're laughing at them.

maineman1985, svh, T. Pollock and 3 others like this.
  4. Luafcm

Luafcm Scout

Blog Posts:
    I prefer hivernant myself, but likely more of a working stiff. Who's to say. One thing that I do enjoy is blowing my money of toys. Maybe I'm more batman-lite.

5. camp casey

camp casey Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bushcraft is a big tent, welcome glad your hear.

rsnurkle and Muskeg_Stomper like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Welcome.

Muskeg_Stomper likes this.
  7. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bushcraft is about skills not how much or how little you spend on your hobby.

8. Beavershooter

Beavershooter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welcome aboard. I'm with you on the cheaper alternatives in the gear department. I do have a bad habit of spending money on firearms from time to time though.

9. Muskeg_Stomper

Muskeg_Stomper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Like that reply

10. Muskeg_Stomper

Muskeg_Stomper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As some of you have stated, it's not really any of my business what anyone spends their hard earned money on. I'm just a cheapskate. Besides, I have other hobbies that I've spent plenty on like muzzleloaders. [emoji3]

Keyser Söze likes this.
  11. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First of all merry Christmas! And No , you are not a real bushcrafter , you only have 12 posts on the forum in 4 years...need to post some more and start a couple of hundred threads , only after that we could truly answer with a more apropriate verdict :59:

Send me moose sausage! !

12. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hello and welcome from Maine. Of all the places I've travelled to Alaska has been my favorite. Beautiful and expansive beyond what any words can describe. I love aspects of bushcraft but don't consider myself a bushcrafter. The word is just a word with different meanings for different people. Some are gear heavy, some are not. Some are newbies and some are experts. Some are modern while others traditionalists. Some spend hundreds on a knife while others don't exceed a twenty. None of it matters except to the individual doing it. It's all about learning something new from someone else I share common interests with and not caring about how much they spent or what brand they have. If I can share a morsel of knowledge with someone, well then all the better. Be kind, be humble, do your own thing, and have fun doing it.

13. Chris eyes wide open

Chris eyes wide open Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would not necessarily call myself a bushcrafter by technical definition or implied meaning, but I love being outdoors with friends or by myself and if I can learn traditional bush craft while doing so I enjoy it even more. I am just glad to be on this site with so many like minded people. Welcome aboard Russ!

Nonc-Tobe and Muskeg_Stomper like this.
  14. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps you've heard the saying "hike your own hike"? I doubt anyone here cares what you call yourself, bushcraft is just a word. Do your own thing and don't worry about how others do "their thing" or how much money they spend doing it... you'll be happier.

15. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well, aren't you special.

16. Nonc-Tobe

Nonc-Tobe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thats exactly how I feel...

17. Fixedblade

Fixedblade 3% Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from The Old Line State.

18. martyinthewoods

martyinthewoods Scout

Blog Posts:
    From Wikipedia:
    Bushcraft is a popular term for wilderness skills. ... The phrase bushcraft's origin is from skills used in the bush country of Australia. Often the phrase 'wilderness skills' is used as it describes skills used all over the world.

I've picked quite a bit here and look at some things a little differently now and I don't think this "Bushcrafter" name applies to me either and I have spent my whole life fishing, hunting, camping, backpacking and playing in the woods.
    I think it has become more popular because people don't know how to classify what they like to do and want to put a name to it. And BushcraftUSA sound pretty good.

19. MichelVH

MichelVH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good mindset, making your own gear is cheap, rewarding and waaaayyy cooler than store bought stuff. But I kind of start to get a little easier on buying gear rather than making them, because now I have a little job, it's not that much about the money anymore. But still, making your own gear is really cool.

By the way: At the Dutch Forums, there is ALWAYS a discussion about the question if someone is actually considered a "bushcrafter" or not, and it always end up in the defenition of bushcraft. But let's face it: bushcraft is loving the outdoors, whether it's behind a screen, in a 300$ hammock, in a muddy ditch:18:, whatever! Just enjoy it your way;)

20. tennecedar

tennecedar Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Im not a real bushcrafter either. I don't spend nights in a debris hut because they suck. Terribly uncomfortable. I do spend countless hours drooling over gear I plan to add to my over stocked out building of nothing but gear and only camp a couple dozen weekends a year in multiple states with others from the forum. I also average 60+ days of hunting a year and don't count solo day trips to the woods. But I like that I'm not a really a bushcrafter. It lets me spend more time hording gear. I guess I'm just a money wasting camper that likes stuff. :p

woodsmanjohn, Hook, Lichen and 7 others like this.
  21. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    "I don't want to be a troll but..." that's an interesting way to begin. Welcome to the fire!

22. Crooked Penguin

Crooked Penguin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I never really liked the term "bushcraft" to be honest. Idk, I just like to play in the woods, or anywhere in nature really.

I also don't like paying the amounts of money for gear that I do, but that's what it costs!

23. Longbeard

Longbeard Continental Drifter Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Hello and welcome to the fire. Good intro.

I personally don't care what anyone calls themselves. He who has the most fun wins.

24. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......From Wisconsin.
    I couldn't care less what people call me.....
    As my screen name implies...mostly a hunter....that studies and uses many bushcraft skills in pursuing my activities

25. Muskeg_Stomper

Muskeg_Stomper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Online conversations are sometimes real awkward because it is hard to interpret the writer's intent. My intent was not to slam anyone although some obviously interpreted it that way because of my poor choice of words. My apologies. Besides, I'm comfortable laughing at myself as well and when I post something really stupid I expect you to laugh at me.

26. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    Greetings from East Central Florida, welcome to BCUSA Russ...

Dom

Subdood and Muskeg_Stomper like this.
  27. Kynoch

Kynoch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I prefer just simply...person, as I don't think that knowing most of the skills and techniques that fall under Bushcraft would require a special label! In my mind, NOT knowing basic survival and Scout type skills would cause one to need a label, such as unprepared or victim.

28. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just kinda hate labels in general but trust me I've been called much worse than a bushcrafter. :4:

Nonc-Tobe, Muskeg_Stomper and Subdood like this.
  29. jswi2374

jswi2374 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just like to play around in the woods, myself. Maybe it's like the word "biker". Noone I know who rides would call themselves a biker. The word is only applied to others, and usually when they are not having a fun day. Ex. "He rode 200 miles, in the rain, with just a garbage bag and duct tape to keep dry. Now that's a biker!"

30. Subdood

Blog Posts:
    Hey no worries at all from me Muskeg. I like direct and honest and don't really worry much about what most folks think about me. There are a few and for them I care deeply what they think. As for the rest, not so much.
    Spent 20 years in Uncle Sams Canoe Club and have found life outside that difficult cuz so many seem to have great difficulty with direct and honest.

So welcome to the fire! It is a pretty great place IMO. I have learned a ton here, and hopefully contributed something to the mix, but I'm pretty sure Ihave gotten more than I put in!

31. southron

southron Scout

Blog Posts:
    The nice thing is if you want to call yourself a bushcrafter then do it. No one is gonna stop you.

That's freedom for ya; Ain't it?

Jim

32. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well said! I think spending big bucks on bushcraft items and focus on gear has to do with the consumer culture in general. A lot of folks treat bushcraft like they treat all hobbies and assign themselves, and others a place on the totem pole based on who has the latest, most expensive bushcraft related consumer goods. Even going so far as to spend tremendous amounts of time and effort researching and comparing the minuscule differences between various products (knives come to mind, people are incredibly picky/whiny about them for some reason) before they make a purchase. Reading extensively detailed product reviews on tarps, writing their own...

Bushcraft gear isn't that complicated, it's really not. Spending hundreds of dollars on a knife that will cut something in half just the same as a 20 dollar knife to me is ridiculous. I just don't understand the whole mindset behind the "gear" culture either and find it a bit silly.

Kynoch, Subdood and Muskeg_Stomper like this.
  33. rurik

rurik Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Bushcraft is a verb not a noun. I think there is an overly romanticised idea that X equals bushcraft as if it harks back to an ideal of the past. I think this is absolute bollocks and all it does is serve to needlessly seperate people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Scout

Blog Posts:
    sometimes i call myself a runner. i don't run all the time. sometimes i call myself a cyclist, i'm not always on my bike. sometimes i call myself a woodworker, but weeks can go by without touching a woodworking tool. sometimes i call myself a bushcrafter, i spend much more time on here than in the bush. it's my situation, and i don't really care if people approve of my use of the label. one of the best things about this forum is how little bickering there is about labels, and how helpful people are and willing to both learn and teach. welcome, i lok forward to your posts, your pictures, and you choosing to use whatever labels you choose to.

35. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yall got options with this thread ...
    1-define Bushcraft as in am I a real bushcrafter? Then
    2-criticize others who buy expensive scandi knives and hand made sewn wool anoraks...
    3 -many of us are very creative and can make a high end custom knife, or a nice sewn from a expensive blanket anorak, Leather work , custom carvings, custom sewed items , forged knives, custom grills and stoves , nice turned handle firesteels, ...

What the OP's got to share in his 4 years on the forum? ? - notin

Pick one and elaborate ,

Yall should have seen me how hard I laughed of my neibor when he purchased that new Porche Panamera 4E hybrid executive. ..I mean couldn't he just gotten a 911 for $30.000.00 less ?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  36. Doubles

Doubles BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My name ain't Dick, but......nevermind

Kynoch likes this.
  37. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I Bushcraft for fun, hoping I never have to really use it. I have payed my dues and can afford to buy nice tools, so I will. God has blessed me greatly so I don't have to live off of what the woods give me...unless I want to. Bushcraft you on Bushcraft.

NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  38. Gunut

Gunut Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I live on a small farm in the middle of a long leaf pine forest. I like to tent and hammock camp, fish, hunt, shoot guns, cut and whittle stuff with knives, making outdoor fires and cook over them, collecting fatwood, gardening etc. I like to make stuff and have a full hobby woodworking shop. I do not call myself a "bushcrafter" or "homesteader". I don't like labels, they make me itch. It just so happens that a lot of the stuff I like fall under the bushcraft umbrella. While I do respect the old ways and gear I like to take advantage of some new ways and technology that makes life easier.

39. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    I don't label myself a bushcrafter but I like hiking, fishing, camping, good sharp knives, spam/bacon, firecraft and all the things associated with the good 'ole outdoors.

Dom

40. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Howdy and welcome. Your not alone, I do not refer to myself as a bushcrafter either, but I'm learning.

41. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you're really from Vatican City, whats the bushcraft scene like there? Seems like it would be hard to find natural materials in a country thats about 100 acres and completely surrounded by Rome.

42. Subdood

Blog Posts:
    There's actually a lot of green space at the Vatican.

IMG_0518.JPG

43. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wow that is a lot greener than I expected! Pope style bushcraft is possible :18:.

Muskeg_Stomper and Subdood like this.
  44. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like to spend time in the woods and appreciate the skills and talents of those that are comfortable doing the same. In the short time I've been on this forum I've probably learned more than decades prior to that. If you want to share those kind of skills we have something in common, no matter what label we call it. If you want to laugh at me for spending five times as much as you for a knife, that's fine too. It's a luxury I don't mind splurging on, I'll laugh at myself with you. Welcome from the other side of the country.

45. Edgeman

Edgeman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Virginia! I agree with everyone else that "Bushcraft" is in the eye of the beholder. Do whatever you want, with whatever you want, whenever you can. The key is to get outside and enjoy it!

46. doulos

doulos Guide

Blog Posts:
    We're all individuals who are pursuing our dreams and aspirations the best we can from where we are and with what we have. Not everyone can live in the Alaskan back country, have your life experience or are to be laughed at for buying nice gear.

Welcome to the forum.

47. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I think Bushcraft is like a brand name to pigeon hole us and sell us stuff, I've loved the outdoors since i was a kid but only found this had the collective name Bushcraft about 4 years ago, i use the word bushcraft in my youtube name because people are not google searching for a firebug outdoorsman who likes eating meat cooked on a fire whilst whittling, the word bushcraft kindov ring fences all that into one searchable word.

Welcome onboard fellow outdoors person

48. 80mtn

80mtn Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    "I've done so much, with so little, for so long, that now I can do anything with nothing!" ;-)

49. hadati

hadati Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Bushcraft to me means being able to make useful things with natural materials. It's not supposed to be about if you have a mega-expensive Scandinavian axe or the newest Mystery Ranch assault pack. It's about getting out into the woods, setting up a good camp, getting a good fire going and chilling out.

Muskeg_Stomper and GGTBod like this.
  50. BalsamFur

BalsamFur BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Don't forget the YouTube knife review channel. You can't be a real bushcrafter without one of those.