Am I the only one that can't stand survival magazines?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by J Stephens, Apr 16, 2019.

1. southron

southron Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Fur fish and game was pretty handy to me back in the day. I was blessed to have a frind and his father who were consumate woodsmen and trappers. Between those and others I learned to trap, not only for food, but making money selling to the fur buyer back in the day. I made a years worth of money off my traps and then saved my farming money (throwing hay, etc) and also money for odd jobs and did things like spent my 13th summer shingling roofs after the big tornados ripped off most in our small community.

Back then I wrote letters to men like Tappan, and skelton and others and they actually wrote a young man back. The gun culture and outdoors culture didn't see age, they saw the individuals. Never forget the respect they gave me, and I still honor their memories.

2. badgerthehobo

badgerthehobo Down the river and up the creek Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Plus they’re so expensive! Backwoodsman is still only $5.50 at the newsstand and is released every other month, like clockwork. EVEN when Charlie’s home got destroyed in a hurricane (I think Harvey). But those stupid survival magazines are $9.99-18.99 and only come out a couple times a year, and even that’s unreliable.

Barry J, Broke, jswi2374 and 6 others like this.
  3. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Redneck

3F92D56B-CAF1-4081-B45E-5B8016B1978B.jpeg

Lumbersexual

585C6A2D-9353-4016-9052-ABD5931CCE4B.jpeg

Barry J, spumwuzzle, Luzster and 4 others like this.
  4. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    Way back ten or twenty years ago I would go to our local library and pick up the back issues of F&S, Small Farm Journal and Mother Earth News. I learned a lot but got tired of ads in F&S and was not going to be able to buy enough land to farm it with draft horses so M. E. News was about the most useful for our small place here in the country. With only .75 of an acre we can grow a lot of what we like to eat and we can, freeze or dry what we need for the winter. We also buy food like normal people so prepper or survivalist is not how we would describe ourselves.

bosque bob, Broke, Metaldog and 3 others like this.
  5. Stags Crest

Stags Crest Crafty McBushcraft Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best thing you can do for survival reading is a boy scout handbook. Tons of great info and no BS about buying brands. Pure information.

Barry J, caoutdoorsman, Broke and 6 others like this.
  6. Lazarusaurus

Lazarusaurus Idot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I remember enjoying Suvival Guide back in the early 80s when I was maybe eleven or twelve. Haven't looked at anything of the sort in decades.

Lee C., Broke and central joe like this.
  7. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I gather that's a Beverly Hills Cocktail Axe he's carrying? :30:

8. wallflash

Blog Posts:

Yes, the Niemann Marcus Martini Mark IV model.

9. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I’m much the same,,,

YouTube video, magazine, any media article including the word “survival” immediately gets categorized as hooey,,,

I used to read adventure “survival” stories when I was younger,,, eventually came to understand those folk most were surviving their own poor choices. Today’s “survival” articles seem geared toward surviving the upcoming zombie apocalypse,,, and/or everything else the walks or crawls.

When I imagine, i imagine good things,,, not gloom and doom...

10. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Yes...

I was a “professional” trapper for many years,,, meaning I made about half my family’s living from the furs I caught. It was a business, just a job of work. To approach trapping, for the money, from any other perspective is a mistake.

When I’m in the bush for fun, I’ll snare rabbits for the pot,,, something to flavor the stew. Can’t live just on rabbits, or not for long, so catching them isn’t much of an aide to “survival”...

Barry J, Broke, BCWoodsman and 4 others like this.
  11. Dutchman

Dutchman SDO Proud. Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The level of distaste for survival mags is kind of surprising. I understand and agree that all magazines contain to much advertising, but there is still something to be gained from most if you actually take the time to "read" and not just flip through. I don't subscribe, but I'm fairly partial to Off Grid by Recoil.

Someone mentioned earlier how silly it is that the woman and girl on the most recent cover are hunting in an overgrown building while wearing clean clothes and sporting clean, neatly braided hair. I agree. There are occasional instances of lunacy displayed with the intent of dramatic exposition. However, while the previous comment mentioned the only article worth reading contained recipes for long-term survival foods, I totally disagree that that was the only relevant article. For example, the issue in question also touched on how to make soap with easily obtained ingredients, how to create and maintain a compost pile, and how to make and set several different types of small-game traps. In my opinion, those articles and the recipes for survival foods make it a valuable resource.

The other thing I like about this mag in particular are some of the scenarios they present. Each issue calls on 2-3 experts in the fields of self-defense, survival, firearms, etc. to illustrate how they might react in stressful situations. Sometimes, as in the most current issue, there is one or even multiple articles directed at females to teach situational awareness, self-defense, and survival. I have shared several of those articles with my wife and she appreciates them each time.

Life isn't black and white, my friends. Those who dismiss each and every survival-type magazine are just missing out on some really useful information. I am certainly not an expert on survival, bushcraft, firearms, self-defense, etc., and I am constantly doing research to broaden my breadth of knowledge. The way I look at it, these magazines are a resource. If the SHTF someday, chances are the internet will cease to exist. I will always have these magazines as reference material in that case.

Barry J, GrayGhost, Broke and 4 others like this.
  12. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The reason today's prepper mags are so weak is because of potential liability issues. God forbid little Johnny cuts himself with his Tactical Guerrilla Knife, eh ?

Barry J, Broke and BCWoodsman like this.
  13. wallflash

Blog Posts:
    I never got into the survival mags , due to what X39 alluded to . The SOF mindset is just not my thing .

If one wants to do actual logical prepping, I don’t know that you could do better than Mother Earth News mag , Foxfire books , and the Boy Scout manuals .

Barry J, Broke, spumwuzzle and 2 others like this.
  14. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    And what is interesting to me, is that not one of them would call a .30-.30 an Elmer Fudd gun staring at the business end of it.

Barry J, ozarkbushman, Broke and 3 others like this.
  15. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pre-1970 BSHB would be better. The original tan Fieldbook by Bill Hillcourt would be best.

Broke likes this.
  16. J Stephens

J Stephens Scout

Blog Posts:
    @GKiT I couldn't agree more. Personally, I don't only reserve that belief for trapping. I extend it to everything.

I know many outdoor topics brush shoulders with bushcraft and survival, but rarely do I ever seek information from sources who's focus is survival or bushcraft. For example, when I first got interested in celestial navigation, I never went to a bushcraft or survival forum. I started visiting navigation sites, which eventually led me to the amazing book "Emergency Navigation," by David Burch.

When I was very heavy into fishing, I visited fishing sites, not bushcraft and survival sites.

I guess the thing that really shaped the way I view my education is a simple thing a very wealthy man once told me in matters of money... "Why would you go to your broke uncle for financial advise?"

Barry J, Broke and GKiT like this.
  17. dirt7

dirt7 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have only skimmed through a couple I have found over the years that seem "extreme" in terms of survival (doomsday preppers, apocalypse, etc) while I am sure some of the material can be educational, it was much more geared towards the tactical SHTF scenario where you spend the day double tapping zombies and eating live snakes to stay alive.

If there was something a little more relaxing to read I would enjoy it, just general bushcraft/camping/fishing related.

Barry J and Broke like this.
  18. YetiJack

YetiJack Scout

Blog Posts:
    They are also called Metrojacks. It's a millennial thing. Lumberjack meets Metrosexual. It's designer plaid shirts, skinny jeans, expensive designer boots and oiled beards. We have hatchet throwing craft beer bars in are area where these guys hang out!

Barry J likes this.
  19. goon

goon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I thought the same thing as I watched an Army recruitment commercial yesterday. A mechanized unit charged across open ground, firing 50 cal’s from Humvee’s with Apaches roaring overhead in support. Completely missing was the dirt, hearing loss, broken bodies and minds when one of those vehicles hits a mine, etc.

But the goal of both the commercial and the magazine cover is to sell something to us.

Barry J, Broke, Dutchman and 2 others like this.
  20. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pretty sure I said “only useful information”, not “only relevant article” nor “the only article worth reading”.

I had assumed it was unnecessary to say “useful to ME”.

My Chicagoland village (sounds quaint, doesn’t it?) would take a dim view of me rendering lard in the back yard (the fire department has been here twice for open fires) so I stock up on 3 for .99 soap (we have a LOT of soap), the process is described in great detail in my copy of Foxfire volume 1, and I already compost.

So, for me, the recipes were the only useful information, although the photos of Rudy Reyes in that issue were just dreamy and may replace the pinups Of Chris Costa in my bunker. Thanks to this “survival” magazine, I now know his marital status, favorite movie and required reading list. Do you suppose he likes long walks on the beach and puppies? Hubba-Hubba! :D

$8.99 for recipes, soap, compost and snares? I’ll pass. By all means, if it’s a valuable resource to you, enjoy. This is America.

BDEDAD6B-FD2F-4163-8010-41C093EDD83D.jpeg

In the following photo, who stands like this? Who dresses like this? What’s that over there in my fenced gravel area? is my pose more tacticool than low ready? Is my shemagh shawl square? No matching camo magazines available? GET TO THE CHOPPAH!

I don’t question his skills and credentials, and he’s obviously very good at picking up heavy things and putting them down again. I wouldn’t call him out. But in my day, we perused the lingerie section of the Sears, J.C. Penny’s and Montgomery Wards catalogs for thrills such as these.

This is why I agree with the original poster.

YMMV.

E2C477E5-8802-4962-A60F-FDF8CF387842.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  21. grace under fire

grace under fire never the same day

Blog Posts:
    i hate the price of the magazines, the doom and gloom, and the ads..

i grew up in a time off the cold war and studied what to do in the event of the big one... the magazines then were doom and gloom but not to the extent they are now.

Broke, spumwuzzle and Haggis like this.
  22. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Scout

Blog Posts:
    Quoted for truth. Sorry, not spending $20 on a magazine. Charlie gets my money.

And the articles are written by the readers - no photos of the guru of the month in various bellicose poses. No Buyers Guides comparing the pros and cons of 14 pocket knife sharpeners.

Broke, Boondocks70 and badgerthehobo like this.
  23. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Survival magazine? You mean the gossip rags I'll be using for kindling while I spitroast rats behind an abandoned strip mall?

24. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Scout

Blog Posts:
    Long story, but a good friend, now passed away, had a 1911 pointed at him, before the person doing the pointing said “remember this face” and shot himself in the temple, spattering himself down the side of my friends car. My friend said “looking at that muzzle was like looking into a trash can. It was enormous.”

The most surreal part, according to my friend? After the police left, going to the coin op car wash to remove the remains. So, yeah - there’s no such thing as a Fudd gun or poodle-shooter when you’re at the wrong end of the barrel.

Barry J and badgerthehobo like this.
  25. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Bad deal! Sorry your friend had to witness that. But, I believe how he remembered staring at the end of the barrel. I have had a .357 in my face, and same thing for me. The end of that barrel looked a lot bigger than it actually was. I remember it was like looking down the neck of a Coke bottle. And, no I wasn't doing anything wrong. The other guy was a nut job who lost his mind & was threatening people. He got his due. 3 squares a day, a cold cot, and a new striped jump suit. :confused:

Barry J, badgerthehobo and spumwuzzle like this.
  26. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad you came out on top. Be safe, metaldog.

Metaldog and badgerthehobo like this.
  27. wallflash

Blog Posts:

You would be correct . I once stared down the barrel of a gun from about 5’ away . I was 17. It might have been a .22 but I swear it looked like the biggest .44 mag hogleg out of Clint Eastwood’s collection . I was once shot at with a rifle . Don’t know the caliber and don’t know if he was actually trying to hit me or just scare the bejeezus out of me, but I heard the whine of the bullet and he definitely succeeded in the latter . It is amazing how high a fence you can clear in a leap when bullets are flying :)

Whenever somebody rags on my .30.30, I just respond that I have never needed more than 1 round to drop a deer . I’ve never been in the woods and thought “ dang, if I only had another 19 rounds !”.

28. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I used to read the ones that were published in the eighties. Today it is mainly Backwoodsman, Fur Fish and Game, and once in a while Mother Earth News.

Some of the current crop in my opinion make Soldier of Fortune seem like Boys' Life.

29. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Scout

Blog Posts:
    The exact moment American Survival Guide jumped the shark:

052FFFC1-2522-4319-8C89-9B8CD58AD5B3.jpeg

The article on this couple’s romantic weekend getaway is even more saccharine.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  30. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Scout

Blog Posts:
  31. Plainsman

Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have those, bought them NEW when they came out! LOL!
    I was also reading Traditional Archer, Wilderness Way, Primitive Archer, ASG, Mother Earth News and SOF at the time!
    The only ones I pick up now are MEN, Backwoodsman and American Frontiersman...Any of the other ones that have survived are just advertisements for “gear.”

Barry J and ReallyBigMonkey1 like this.
  32. Lee C.

Lee C. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's one on my favorites too...and of course "Backwoodsman". Reading that one since early 90s. Had some good writers back then I miss.

Barry J likes this.
  33. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I still enjoy reading Backwoodsman, but I don't feel like I'm reading to survive the apocalypse.

Barry J likes this.
  34. OiMcCoy

OiMcCoy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a strong dislike for anything 'survival'. I have a deep love of the wilderness and the skills needed to thrive in it. To the point of where I would consider myself to fair well in most survival situations. However, I hate the concept of wilderness exploration being equated with life or death situations. Millions enjoy the woods everyday with out ending up dead. Yet there is this huge industry built around survival. Be it wilderness based or zombie based. Either way it would seem that everyone is one survival gadget away from certain death. And it is so very off-putting for me.

I do teach certain wilderness living skills that could easily fall under survival skills. But I teach them as skills that will help make life easier. Especially things like friction fire. Which is only a survival skill if you are so skilled at it that you can reliably use it any where in any conditions. Taking a class on how to use or even make a bow drill (something I often teach) is not a means of survival. However the skills you learn and practice will greatly improve your overall fire making skills and maybe even lead to you dedicating the time it takes to turn those skills into reliable survival skills. But let's be real, keeping a bic dry is far easier and far more practical.

I have been asked by a lot of people to teach a survival class. And it kind of sucks that I don't feel comfortable with it as the industry is awash with doom and gloom. I just want to focus on the core basics of making it through the night and increasing chances of being found. Something geared towards day hikers who can become lost. Not people looking to live off the land in a post apocalyptic world.

Sorry for this rant, but seems like as good of a place for it as any.

Barry J and Sosteve like this.
  35. pickin_grinnin

pickin_grinnin Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't buy many magazines these days, and dropped all but one of my subscriptions (I still get "Cemetery Dance," a horror story magazine). There are a lot of other magazines I like, but I'm not going to pay as much for a magazine I can read in an hour as I would for a mass market paperback book that will last me all weekend.

If magazines were still relatively inexpensive, though, I still wouldn't have any interest in the survival ones. I look in them when I'm browsing B&N, but most of the articles don't have anything to do with my interests and/or don't have enough useful information to be worth the purchase. The few survival magazine issues I have actually bought have had a lot of articles that overlapped significantly with bushcraft, wilderness living, homesteading, primitive skills, etc.

I'm not into guns, hunting, or fishing, so even things like Field & Stream don't usually have enough to interest me. I like Backwoodsman (minus the Bigfoot stuff) and similar magazines and things like Mother Earth News and homesteading stuff, but in the end I prefer books and other resources that take a deeper look at things.

36. Sosteve

Sosteve Scout

Blog Posts:
    here there are hardly such magazines,think they are scared people would run in the forrest and step on plants and insects,and if there such magazines they would be packed with commercials
    And overpriced

Barry J likes this.
  37. Barry J

Barry J Guide

Blog Posts:
    Exactly! I found this to be case also.

Sandcut likes this.