Amazon Poncho Tarp/Shelter Recommendations

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by OutdoorsFamilyMan, Apr 9, 2018.

1. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Going to a sporting event this weekend that looks like its calling for rain. The venue has a very strict bag policy...in fact, bags are prohibited unless you have childcare or medical needs. We have both but are only allowed one small 14x14x4 bag to carry a few small childcare and medical items and rain gear for the 5 of us. The wife and kids have decent compact ponchos but I'm a little bigger so that stuff is always too uncomfortable unless I buy a larger one...then that's about the cost of a cheaper poncho shelter on amazon... I'd love to own a MEST, but funds are tight so I can only spend 10 to 15 unless it's a great deal then I'll go 20...Anyone have any experience with any of them on amazon?

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  2. BlackBush

BlackBush Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Same boat here. Started looking for a poncho myself. I might go for the Mest, but curious what other decent less expensive alternatives the forums might reveal.. Helikon? Mil-Tek? Are they as compact, waterproof, durable as Mest by comparison?
    Don't trust amazon reviews beyond suggestion of what to expect .. though they are well rated there.

3. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Simple Wear your rain gear though the gate, then tie it around the waist with some cord

4. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Guide

Blog Posts:
    So I ended up picking up this off Amazon.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076CDM6YX?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

It's a 5x7 (ish) poncho/tarp. It was 20 for a 2 pack. The quality is decent especially considering the price. I'm sure the snaps that turn it into a poncho (2 on each side) won't last forever but I am careful when unsnapping them. They come in a little stuff sack too. I walked for about 25 minutes in a very steady rain and I was very dry (except for my feet and face). I even had a small sling bag on my back under the poncho and it stayed dry as well. The only gripe I have is that it's a little tough to get it back into the little stuff sack lol...