An Adventure With Stick

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Jim L., Aug 14, 2019.

1. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been trying to get some walking in. Tonight, Stick was more of a passenger. Good to have and not need sort'a thing.

Tonight, Stick showed some true colors. The Neighbors have a watchdog in the form of a 150 pound plus rotweiler. Guess who forgot to close their yard gate.

This dog charged me three times. Three. The first time was the real surprise. When the dog was at full run, Stick shot up and made me assume a full lance defence pose. I have no idea where that came from.

The pissed off rotti came to a screeching halt about 15 feet away. Growling and barking but dead stop. As I walked away, he kept advancing but would stop as Stick came up.

About 30 minutes later I had to approach the area again on my trek. Again, rotti came at me but from a greater distance. I was on a second road at an intersection (think "T") when the dog was charging. Stick came up again and the dog stopped in the intersection.

My son saw this and told me when I got home that I reminded him of Kung Fu Panda. :35: This made me feel pretty good untill it made me think he meant "fat guy waving a stick at a dog". :oops::rolleyes:

I continued my walk and had to pass rotti again. Stick came to action one more time. The dog barked and growled with a bit of a disappointed note because Stick kept him away.

Tonight has me wondering about an upgrade with a bone noggin knocker, or forged spear point :33:. Don't know, but Stick defended me admirably.

Thanks for looking, Y'all.

2. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Awesome.

"Adventures with Jim and Stick" A new cartoon series?

Good thing for stick. That's what I call my sticks too.....not very original and I feel kinda ashamed for copying you, but I couldn't come up with anything else. ;)

3. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    The weird thing @gohammergo , is I had no fear. I was wary. Like Stick had my back. I thick Stick deserves another coat of lacquer. :dblthumb:

4. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Three cheers for stick! :D Glad stick kept the rott at bay.

5. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've bought lightweight aluminum adjustable poles, but I'm happier with my beaver harvested stick.

6. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bear mace that rotti next time, and have a talk with the owner regardless. A guy should be able to take a stroll unmolested by a neighbor's uncontrolled weapon/rottweiler.

NevadaBlue, doulos, MrFixIt and 13 others like this.
  7. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    I plan on having a conversation with the neighbor. Granted, my walks are in the late evening, 9:30 and later, I agree 100% @Duncsquatch . There should be no issue of safety.

I've no problem with a dog barking at me from his yard, that's his job. On a street and across an intersection..... no. Dog's gonna get a knot on top of his pointed head. Failing proper response to that (running home) a lance wound may be in order. Well, maybe a second knot...:rolleyes:

I've no wish for legal problems from a dog bite.

8. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't want to burst your bubble about your perceived sense of security, but in reality you could have bonked the Rotty as hard as you could with that Stick and it wouldn't have even phased him. I've seen a large dog hit with a full swing baseball bat and all it did was knock him a little off balance.

Good-luck
    -John

NevadaBlue, JoeJ, MrFixIt and 10 others like this.
  9. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    when we lived in a neighborhood where more people kept dogs for weapons, i wouldn't leave the yard without my heavy wooden cane, especially if the little one was with me. wife and i had been charged once by a BIG rott at short distance while walking our schnauzer, and another time by a pit. a decent chunk of wood makes a big difference, and makes a dog think twice for sure. glad your encounters didn't go any worse than they did!

10. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It's nice to have a good friend like stick ain't it ? joe

11. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad you had Stick! Hope you have some good pepper spray, too.

12. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yikes! Even though a hit with the stick might not have stopped an attacking dog...the mere action of having one and moving it as you did, did stop it from any further advancement thus proving stick to be an effective deterrent in this case.

I think this is a good excuse to make a socketed stick that can accept a Jim L. forged winged spear head!

Stay safe my friend and keep on walking!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  13. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Way to go, Stick!! Charging dogs are scary! Glad you made it unscathed and without having to do battle.

NevadaBlue, gila_dog, MrFixIt and 5 others like this.
  14. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yup, definitely reward Stick. :)

Having a, I don't want to call it a weapon....maybe a "deterrent", when walking is the only way to go. It has many uses, and one of them is, in fact, protection. There is a whole thing devoted to stick fighting.

Funny story about that:
    My wife used to have a daycare center. We used to take the kids out on activities a lot. One day we took them fishing. I think we had 4 or 5 kids with us. Not long after we were there, one of the boys was messing around with a hiking sized stick, and play fighting a bush with it. Apparently he had watched something on TV about it....at one point in my life I had dipped my toes into stick fighting. :) We started talking about it and I showed him a few tricks. Before long it turned into a mini classroom, and we all had sticks. Of course, there was no actual contact with each other, but I can only imagine what stories the kids had for their parents.
    "So what did you do today ______?"
    "We went out to the lake and fought with sticks! It was great!".

We knew the parents of all the kids pretty well so there were no worries about any bad feedback. :)

15. ozarkbushman

ozarkbushman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I disagree with a stick not being a weapon. A big enough stick can certainly kill a dog. I've seen it myself. Think swinging like a splitting mail with a big enough stick. The true detterent in this case was that u had no fear. Having no fear goes a long ways in the natural world. The dog knew he was gonna have to fight you. Most dogs are pussies deep down if u show no fear until you get em in a pack. Once you have more than one dog there behavior will change for the worse. But even then once they see there buddy all jacked up and whining they start to reconsider the situation.

NevadaBlue, MrFixIt, Sandcut and 4 others like this.
  16. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Might make a police report, unless the owner is real concerned. If they continue carelessly letting the dog out, someone will get bitten. Having prior reports will make civil restitution much more likely. Also, many localities have dangerous animal laws, requiring insurance, or removal. Helps motivate bad owners.

NevadaBlue, gila_dog, MrFixIt and 7 others like this.
  17. McKBrew

McKBrew Roughian #103 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    With my job we are in and out of yards all day. Our company is big on using an umbrella to deter dogs. Having a big object pop up in front of their face tends to give many dogs pause and allow time to exit the area using it as a barrier.

That being said one of my techs doesn't use it. He had a large dog break through a sliding glass door and chase him for a bit. He doesn't have much faith in the umbrella.

NevadaBlue, gila_dog, MrFixIt and 7 others like this.
  18. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
  19. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate the comments and support. I do intend to speak with the neighbors. One thought occurs to me that by walking past their yard at night (granted, always on the opposite side of the street) might be considered as "baiting" or purposely antagonizing the animal.

There is another route. It would take me along a road whose traffic bothers me during the day. Having walked that road before, I'd rather deal with the rottie at night.

20. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    On the opposite side of a public street is NOT baiting or antagonizing regardless of the hour. You're neighbor needs to control his dog before some 8 year old walks by and becomes a statistic...

21. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Walking in public right of way is no way baiting. The owner is responsible for keeping the dog on his property. Legally if that dog bites someone he is civilly liable and once he has constructive knowledge of the issue from you or from the police he will likely have criminal liability as well. Report the incident, three encounters is like three strikes, no remaining chances.

22. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    Of course I don't have pics of the encounters, but here are some at the points of contact.....

Initial. Rottie came to the center lines...
    20190814_144432.jpg

Second, "Kung Fu Panda" (or "fat guy with a stick"). Dog stopped at the center of the white line... 20190814_144518.jpg

And the last rush on the return trip, again to the center line... 20190814_144408.jpg

Gives a little perspective despite the crappy photos.

23. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Jim L. do I need to perform my Satilla Sasquatch routine for your neighbors? I’ll break out the ghillie suit again. And I agree and disagree with @slysir, I smacked a wild stray with a red oak shillelagh once. Knocked his bottom jaw to the other side. It didn’t phase him or change his attitude or posture but he could no longer bite. Stay safe out there brother and listen to @Primordial.

NevadaBlue, gila_dog, MrFixIt and 6 others like this.
  24. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    THE STICK !

PICS OF THE STICK ;-)

25. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    can i just mention that, back around '09, i'm fairly certain it was when i was googling some stick fighting info that i first stumbled across this site. i think there was even a subforum for it back then!!

26. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:

I appreciate your trying to be a good neighbor and I've been deliberately remaining silent so as not to appear to be a contrarian. But I feel the need to speak up at this post.

Walking on the OPPOSITE side of the road can, in no way, shape, or form be construed as a provocative act. Neither would walking on the same side of the road. The dog is poorly trained, it is dangerous and it poses a public threat. It needs to be addressed before someone less resourceful than yourself gets torn up or killed. I've always been an advocate of the old addage "If not me, then who? " and it appears like you plan to speak to the neighbors about it, so thank you for being an upright person!

With regards to the stick. I'm glad that you had it and I'm glad that the dog backed off. But the dog didn't back off because of the stick, it backed off because of your posture. Don't let carrying a stick lull you into overconfidence. A stick is a great distance weapon, but it is possible to lose your grip on it, it could break or the dog could get inside your defenses from it. I would recommend adding additional layers to your defense. I am NOT saying that you have to get a gun and I don't want this post to start a discussion like that. You are familiar with your ability and comfort level with whether or not that is an option. Some may chose it. Some may not. That's all I'm gonna say. What I would recommend carrying is additional defensive layers like a good 2-4 oz can of pepper gel and possibly a knife or two. Or else stagger the two on opposite sides, with one strong side and one weak side, so you always have access to defense regardless of if one hand/arm gets bitten. Redundancy is never a bad thing.

Hopefully, you get this resolved quickly and amicably with your neighbor.

Good luck!

27. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I was a road biker I loved riding in the country. The only problem was dogs running out at me. One time a large dog started running beside me and was trying to cross in front of me. As he turned his head his nose brushed my spokes ever so gently I did not feel it but he did, he howled in pain and immediately stopped chasing me.

28. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The fault is the owners. If the dog had his mind set on attacking you , you would have been attacked. It is more likely the dog was adopting an aggressive posture to run you off. I’m very glad you kept your cool, stood ready to defend yourself, and moved on so that neither of you got hurt. I have had Rottweilers all my married life, and can tell you they are fantastic dogs, but are a lot of work. It’s too bad he has owners who fenced him in rather than train him.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  29. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  30. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ok, Ok, Stick is a wee bit camera shy, but stood for this one pic...

20190814_201623.jpg

99% green cut sweetbay, 1% hocky tape.

I will admit, @Sandcut , that this was in hand for the last encounter...

20190215_001603.jpg

20190215_001723.jpg

I understand about the false confidence, it was all me, I know. Yelling "No!" didn't hurt either....

31. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's interesting, @Metaldog . Looks heavy though. Might be lighter than a forged, 3 inch spear point.... Hmm...

32. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  33. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes @Jim L. forge a mace head. Please

34. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    He probably would have sensed your fear.

Well done!

+1 on a Police Report.

A stick is a great weapon. Don't forget that you can also "stick" with a stick--it doesn't necessarily "need" a point. Eyes, throat and balls. Also, the nose. You said a "defensive stance." Hopefully you turned your body 90 degrees (blade) to get your vitals off the line of attack and to absorb the shock.

You might want to get a stick that doesn't break easy. Waxwood, ash or maybe hickory. The first two have been historically used for pole weapons.

NevadaBlue, gila_dog, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  35. 9 Iron

9 Iron Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You might want to make your walking group a threesome by adding Roscoe to Stick and yourself. Roscoe, in this family, is a 3 inch barrelled Ruger .357 magnum revolver.

Jim L., NevadaBlue, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  36. wannabee

wannabee Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    which stick do you use???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NevadaBlue, Harper, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  37. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    To answer your question @wannabee ,....... both. :4:

NevadaBlue, wannabee, jasam and 4 others like this.
  38. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    Now this is easier said than done, but if a dog is clamped down on your off arm or leg (or someone else's) and you have a knife, you can stab and rip at the red lines I drew on this fathead and you should render his biting power to almost nil because you'll be cutting through his jaw muscles.

pit.jpg

NevadaBlue, Metaldog, jasam and 6 others like this.
  39. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad to hear you are OK Jim.
    Please keep us updated on the proceedings.

40. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:

Quadratomandibularis!

:D

NevadaBlue, Jim L., Metaldog and 3 others like this.
  41. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    I dumbed it down for us non nerds! ;) :22:

NevadaBlue, Sandcut, Jim L. and 3 others like this.
  42. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think all this talk of how to kill and or take down a dog is getting a bit silly. @Jim L., kudos to you brother! You handled the situation exactly right. You got to go home unharmed, and so did the dog. However, speaking to the owners about their dog getting loose is a must. They have to be made to understand in no uncertain terms that their dog is large and intimidating, and is a potential danger to the neighborhood, unless he is under their complete control or securely restrained. As I said, I’ve kept Rottweilers for thirty years, and raised two children in the house with them. They are actually big loveable goofballs in the home. However, they are able to size up a situation and if necessary, are not at all afraid to use their size, strength, and power if they deem it necessary. As I said, you were probably nearing what the dog perceived to be his zone of protection, and was deliberately intimidating you to get you to go away, which is why he kept his distance from you. He just wanted you to move on and was telling you not to come any closer to his zone. Not to be mean, but I doubt that your stick would have been of much help against a full on attack from a 150lb. Rottweiler. Further I’m very glad to hear your story. I hope others use this as an example of how to behave against an uncontrolled dog.

43. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    :33:

NevadaBlue, Sandcut, Jim L. and 2 others like this.
  44. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was able to speak with the owners today. We had a great conversation. They share a family compound and their inlaws frequently have issues leaving the gate open. They appologised and promised to talk to the inlaws.

Plus I got a fresh picked pomegranate and a butt load of grapes im the deal. We shall see.

45. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad things turned out well so far. But I would assume that the dog will get out again, and will be a threat again. And not just to you. The next person probably won't have a stick. Those neighbors sound pretty irresponsible. The way I see it is if a dog really attacks you, you are going to get one maybe two chances to hit the dog with the stick. After that he's either backing off, moving out of range and circling you, or he's inside your defenses and he's on you. For really serious close range defense I think a hickory stock cane is the best weapon. It is heavy enough to do real damage with striking blows, and almost impossible to break. Jabs to the ribs are pretty effective if you get a chance. I've had to defend my packgoats from aggressive dogs several times, using my hiking stick. My method is to turn sideways to the threat, hold the stick or cane with both hands, like a broom, and keep the tip of it pointed down close to the ground between me and the dog, sweeping it back and forth. The dog knows he has to get his face past the stick, and it's going to be hard to come in under it. I can whack the dog in the nose or face quickly with a sideways blow, and even deflect him or push him away from me with the stick. And I can bring it up quickly if necessary. But if he gets under it, you've lost your advantage. I am not just talking theory here. I've actually had to use a stick for defense against dogs. So I may not know everything, but I do know how dangerous these situations can be, and how effective a stick or cane can be if you use it right.

Another defense I've used against dogs, ever since I was a kid, is to pick up a rock and throw it, or act like I'm going to throw it. I've even faked the whole thing, acting like I was picking up a rock and throwing it. Most dogs will back away from that.

It's a good thing you had that knife with you, too. When all else fails, that's a very good weapon to have. I knew a phone company guy who got jumped by a big dog in a backyard, and had to kill it with his knife.

If it happens again, report it to the police, for sure.