And So It Begins Again

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by DaveRT, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Thadf

Thadf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You had me licking my chops right up to the brussel sprouts!! I've tried hard to like them, but life is too short for that!!!

Great work , as always.

DaveRT likes this.
  2. DaveRT

DaveRT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Update on my kayak build. After sanding the deck and seams smooth, I came up with this.

IMG_2657.JPG
    With a little bit of duct tape and a desire to reduce the dust in my garage, I've connected my shop vacuum to my sander. Redneck dust collection system.

IMG_2658.JPG
    I'm filling in the little gaps in the seams with thickened epoxy. If left unfilled, it would show up under the fiberglass as a white spot. This also would weaken the strength of the seam.

IMG_2659.JPG
    More time here will be worth it in the end. Tomorrow after sanding these blemishes, I will roll on a saturation coat of epoxy.

IMG_8949.JPG
    How many deer do you see? All the does here are pregnant. Very common here to have twins. There were 2 sets of triplets last season. You could be looking at a dozen deer.

Brook Trout and Hanz like this.
  3. DaveRT

Blog Posts:
    Up early and at it. Two hours later, I'm done working on the kayak for today.

IMG_2664.JPG
    Finished up sanding all the spots I touched up with thickened epoxy yesterday. Cleaned up garage and went to work rolling on the saturation coat of epoxy.

IMG_2671.JPG

With that step completed, next is to go over all of the fresh epoxy with a dry foam brush. This breaks the tiny air bubbles caused by the foam roller. Makes a much smoother finish to the epoxy.

IMG_2677.JPG The saturation coat really brings out the detail of all the seams.

IMG_2681.JPG
    This is the area behind the seat. Many hours went into this area. Remember making the deck with the 2 layers of fiberglass laminated to the underside.

IMG_2673.JPG
    The holes left by the wires look like snake bites.

IMG_2675.JPG
    I'm happy with the way the pointy ends came out. This is the bow.

IMG_2688.JPG
    This is the stern.

IMG_2679.JPG
    The saturation coat really brings out the character of the wood. Pygmy does a great job of cutting the panels from one sheet to keep the grain matching when assembled.

IMG_2683.JPG
    Difficult to eliminate the reflections in the pictures.

IMG_2684.JPG
    Next step is to lay out the fiberglass cloth and trim. Then laminate with epoxy.

4. Thadf

Thadf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Damn that looks cool!!

DaveRT likes this.
  5. DaveRT

Blog Posts:
    Up and at it again this morning. Today I fiberglassed the deck.

IMG_2711.JPG
    Started by laying out the masking tape 1 inch below the sheer seam all the way around hull.

IMG_2714.JPG

Smoothing out the fiberglass cloth and trimming.

IMG_2717.JPG
    This step went well, I haven't started to itch yet.

IMG_2725.JPG
    Mix up the epoxy and starting from the center, wet out the cloth with a roller.

IMG_2728.JPG
    After each batch of epoxy, squeegee the excess off the cloth making sure you don't have any lifting at the seams.

IMG_2729.JPG
    Two batches of epoxy got me this far.

IMG_2732.JPG

The area behind the seat took extra time to smooth out.

IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2730.JPG
    Glad to have this step completed. 5 hours without a break got it done including cleaning up. In a few hours I will be able to cut above the masking tape and pull off the raw edge of the fiberglass cloth. Tomorrow the first fill coat of epoxy will be applied.

IMG_8981.JPG

When you get up at 4:30 in the morning, you never know what your going to see. The deer were just leaving the vineyard after having their breakfast.

Hanz and Merk3030 like this.
  6. DaveRT

Blog Posts:
    Today the kayak got its first fill coat of epoxy. I trimmed above the blue masking tape with a utility knife and removed the raw edge of fiberglass without issue.

IMG_2801.JPG
    The weave of the fiberglass cloth can still be seen, the next coat of epoxy should smooth out the fiberglass surface.

IMG_2806.JPG
    The next coat will leave enough epoxy to sand without cutting the fiberglass.

IMG_2804.JPG
    Happy with the pointy ends.

IMG_2755.JPG
    After the post on Saturday, I was lucky and bagged a 20 pound Tom.

Kdad, IzaWildman, Scotchmon and 5 others like this.
  7. DaveRT

Blog Posts:
    Continuing onto fitting and trimming lower coaming pieces today.

IMG_2815.JPG
    One side is fitted flush with inside edge of cockpit and clamped in place. Guide lines are made on the coaming half lining up with the center deck seams.

IMG_2816.JPG
    Using a draw saw, the ends are trimmed.

IMG_2817.JPG
    The half is removed and the step is repeated on the other side of the cockpit with the other lower coaming half. Then both halfs are set in place for final sanding for a tight fit.

IMG_2818.JPG
    Both lower coaming pieces can now be coated with epoxy before securing to deck.

IMG_2819.JPG

Here you can see the 2 other pieces of coaming on the bottom of the picture. These upper pieces will be laminated in fiberglass and epoxy, than trimmed to fit like the lower coaming pieces.

Kdad, Hanz and Seeker like this.
  8. Doubles

Doubles BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It may have been answered earlier in this build, or the previous one....roughly how many hours do you have invested in the project, start to finish?

9. DaveRT

Blog Posts:
    I'm retired and do this for enjoyment, so I don't rush. Pygmy says around 100 hours of building time. 6 to 8 weeks in reality. You have to wait for the epoxy to cure before moving on to the next step. You do a hours work and have to leave it for the next day to go on. On my first kayak I believe Pygmy's is spot on saying 100 hours. I started this one a year ago. Life gets in the way. Pygmy runs schools to build one. They almost complete it in the week class. By then you are skilled to the point where you can finish it up at home on your own.

Seeker likes this.
  10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    fwiw, I have 80 hours in my stitch and glue canoe, and it's not nearly as polished as this work of art... and yeah, a lot of it was "glue and wait" time... took about 2 months for me to finish.

DaveRT likes this.
  11. DaveRT

Blog Posts:
    Spent 1 1/2 hours preparing work space. Covered with freeze paper. Cut fiberglass cloth to fit upper coaming pieces. Sanded all coaming pieces. Laminated one side of the two upper pieces. Epoxied both lower pieces. Cleaned up. That's it for today. Tomorrow repeat the process.

IMG_2823.JPG J
    IMG_2824.JPG
    IMG_2827.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG

Attached Files:

Hanz, Merk3030, Seeker and 1 other person like this.
  12. DaveRT

Blog Posts:
    After the second coat of epoxy hardened up on the lower coaming pieces, I dry fit it to cockpit. Sanded contact area and spread on the thickened epoxy. Aligning and securing with clamps went well.

IMG_2843.JPG
    Dry fitting.

IMG_2852.JPG
    The cockpit epoxy needed sanding. Found all my clamps.

IMG_2856.JPG
    Mixed up some thickened epoxy and spread on deck and coaming pieces.

IMG_2857.JPG
    Alignment is slightly different due to thickness of epoxy. Also slippery.
    IMG_2865.JPG

Can never have enough clamps.
    IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG
    clean up time spent now on the squeezed out epoxy saves a lot of sanding time later.

IMG_2851.JPG
    The upper coaming pieces have been laminated on both sides, trimmed and sanded. Next step will be bonding them to the lower coaming now in place when cured.

IMG_2837.JPG
    IMG_2838.JPG
    The coaming work is the short job. Mowing the lawn is the long job. It does help pass the time waiting for the epoxy to cure between steps.

CampCowan, Hanz, Seeker and 1 other person like this.
  13. Thadf

Thadf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful........kayak and lawn

DaveRT likes this.
  14. DaveRT

Blog Posts:
    With lower coaming in place, upper coaming goes on today.

IMG_2866.JPG
    This is how it looks after the clamps came off.

IMG_2871.JPG
    The upper pieces are trimmed in place. The first is trimmed with a saw.

IMG_2872.JPG
    It's trimmed to centerline of deck.

IMG_2878.JPG
    The other half is aligned and overlaps the first half. It's cut with a utility knife to tightly butt up against the other side.

IMG_2879.JPG
    Everything is dry fitted before mixing up the thickened epoxy. A little filing and sanding get it square.

IMG_2881.JPG
    With the two pieces coated with thickened epoxy, they are aligned and clamped. Yes I need more hands. Yes it is messy. Yes I have epoxy on my iPhone.

IMG_2882.JPG
    Again I use all my clamps.

IMG_2883.JPG
    Needed to shim one front edge to have the plywood veneers align. Mylar keeps the shim from becoming part of my kayak.

IMG_2886.JPG
    Hurry up and wait.

IMG_2891.JPG
    This is farm country. They pooped the fields today. So far I have been upwind. Tomorrow????

Last edited: May 22, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    Hanz and Merk3030 like this.
  15. DaveRT

Blog Posts:
    Now this is what a coaming is supposed to look like.

IMG_2897.JPG
    These shots are just after the first coat of epoxy. It's still wet.

IMG_2898.JPG
    I'm happy it's done.

IMG_2899.JPG
    It will get a few more fill coats before final sanding.

IMG_2900.JPG
    I'm glad I used the shim to line up the veneers yesterday.

IMG_2906.JPG
    This is the view that Char will see when paddling. It had to be right.

IMG_2908.JPG
    Laminated one side of the piece that will become the seat mounting, hip and deck supports.

IMG_2909.JPG
    More epoxying tomorrow.

IMG_2895.JPG
    Corn being planted today in the field beside my back yard. Makes a great food plot to draw in the deer. Yum!

Hanz, Seeker, Merk3030 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Thadf

Thadf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've already decided that I can't do it. I don't have the patience for the tediousness. You make it look easy, it I know better!

Looking great.

DaveRT likes this.
  17. DaveRT

Blog Posts:
    In a way, I've failed. I have always hoped that my posts would inspire others to give it a try. If I can do it, than anyone can. I'm a retired machinist, not a woodworker. I also did these projects as a challenge. I can't sing or dance. Music, I can't even clap my hands to the beat. I do enjoy watching others do what I can't. So I do hear you. Thanks for watching.

18. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    You sing a different note. I can relate to the musical ineptness. Nice project!

DaveRT likes this.
  19. DaveRT

Blog Posts:
    It's the little things. That take so long.

IMG_2908.JPG
    After being laminated, this piece can be made into two seat supports.

IMG_2912.JPG
    Measurements were laid out in cockpit to locate the brace. Traced line on backside and cut with saw.

IMG_2910.JPG
    Piece was filed and sanded to fit. Same done for other side.

IMG_2916.JPG
    Pygmy supplies a hull number when shipped. They registered it with the Coast Guard. I burned it into the seat brace. It will be behind the back support when in place.

IMG_2925.JPG
    It's also burned into the stern, starboard side. Both places will be coated with epoxy. Later I will also do the bulkheads.

IMG_2921.JPG They are glassed in place with thickened epoxy and fiberglass. Messy job.

IMG_2920.JPG
    Everything gets a coat of epoxy.

IMG_2926.JPG
    The reflections in the photo don't do it justice. It came out fine. Tomorrow when cured, I will be able to drill holes for the backrest pivots. Finally machinists work, even if it is into wood and not metal.