Andaltool Included Sharpener

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Tiogatires, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Tiogatires

Tiogatires Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey all, I have never used compound for sharpening but recently aquired a used Andaltool and love it. The included sharpener was used and I would like to get it back to usable. Anyone know what compounds it originally had on it or what I should be looking at to get it back to new? I like the fact that the one side puts a mirror finish on the blade and want to keep it that way if poossible. Thanks!

2. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The one I used to own had lapping film on it. If you look up 3m adhesive lapping film that should get you sorted out. The grit rating I’m not so sure about. If it were mine I would go with 220 and 800 (or the equivalent micron rating). The extra coin for diamond lapping film would probably be a waste of money for that particular steel, not to imply that’s it’s sub-par at all.

Also, just glueing sandpaper or regular lapping film to the aluminum bar would probably leave you with a bumpy sharpener. The adhesive backed lapping film is pretty flat and would be much more like the original. Sorry I can’t help you with the exact grits but I know I’ve run across it somewhere. I hope that’s helpful, it was a pretty cool idea he had with those.

schapm likes this.
  3. schapm

schapm Fidei Defensor. LB #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com...cro_Abrasive_Film__for_Scary_Sharpening_-_PSA

This looks to be the stuff? I remember Ragnar of Ragnar’s Ragweed Forge talking about an adhesive sharpening sticker type thing that he liked.

Jacob likes this.
  4. Tiogatires

Tiogatires Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gentlemen thanks!!!! I would have never guessed that!

Jacob and schapm like this.