Animal Attack Thread (Post Your Experiances)

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Primordial, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    We had 5 honey bee hives, surrounded by a 10x20 chain link fence directly behind the main gate going up to the hay fields. This was while I was recovering from being paralysed. My legs were working good enough to get on and off the tractor with help. My wife opens the gate and away I go to cut a field or two. When finished, drove back to the gate and start calling my wife in the house. After a little while a scout bee checks me out. Leaves and returns with reinforcements. I knew what was coming so I raised my hand to save my head. Guess my calls got louder because my wife came running and opened the gate. Drove through a short distance, and she helped me off. Our bees had been getting more aggressive over the years. We no longer have honey bees. Also had a 1000 lb. steer put its head between my legs and throw me against the wall. Our very mild dairy goats, who normally come out two by two to get milked, decided six would come running me over and tearing my meniscus requiring surgery. Or the 200 lb buck goat who plowed into my chest taking me down. At the time I was wearing my coveralls, had my lcr in my pocket. But the hammer got caught on my pocket. By the time I got it out, he was no longer a threat. Also the occasional attack of a rooster, or the copper head that bit my wife while she was picking beets. All true.

2. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wanna hear about the monkey, the gator or the bull?

3. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    All three, especially if they walk into a bar.

4. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    The monkey involved some bars. The rest were out in the wild
    Ill reply with them later. On a lunch break and they're pretty long winded.

5. Hawkce541

Hawkce541 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Speckled trout fishing my buddy and his parents standing in about waist deep water. His mom has the stringer with about 10 fish on it. We hear her start yelling and smacking the water with her pole. His dad never missed a cast as he was saying cut the stringer loose. Cut the stringer loose. A 4-5 foot bull shark had grabbed the stringer of fish and her crazy ass was trying beat it down with a spinning rod. No crap, there I was…..

6. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    I'll start chronologically:4:

I believe it was 1984. I was 5. I remember this because it's terror is forever seared into my memory.

Orange CT, Rt1. There used to be an exotic pet store. My mother is and will be til the day she dies, an animal loving freak.

Her, my aunt (not really but to explain that situation requires a whole nother thread) and I go in. My mom was going in to look at a parrot (which she still has!) And I was free to roam around as I pleased.
    In this store, was a Spider Monkey in a pretty good sized iron cage. There's a sign on the cage, but it might as well been Swahili cause I'm 5 and I can't read.
    The monkey is sittin there eatin a big ole bowl of grapes. Me being the lil fat kid that I am. I love grapes. So I reach in and grab one. The monkey smiles at me. So I think he's happy. Cause I'm 5 and haven't watched the Jane Goodell documentary yet. I take a 2nd grape with a big ole tooth bear grin:D
    The monkey screams in my face, lurches towards me and in a instant reaches thru the bars of the cage and grabs me by the hair!
    The monkey then proceeds to beat my head against the bars of the cage like a ballon on a rubber band toy!!
    The monkey is screaming. I'm screaming. My mom and aunt come running. She sees me getting my head pummeled by the monkey. Her and my aunt start trying the pry the monkey off me but it's wormy lil monkey fingers have my hair all twisted around its fist.
    Now the monkey looks at my momma and with it's other hand grabs her by the boob and just gives her the worst purple nurple you can imagine!
    My aunt jumps in the mix and starts hittin the monkey with a newspaper (probably a tabloid) all rolled up. And the monkey lets go of me!! But he's still got my momma.
    All of this happened in probably 2mins tops! Now the owner has heard all the commotion and is there. He gives the monkey a piece of fruit which calms it down instantly. He lets go of my momma and all is well in monkeyworld.
    Me on the other hand. My forehead is battered bruised and bleeding. I had bar shaped dents for nearly a year!
    But the guy felt pretty bad, and gave my momma a hell of a deal on a Yellow Naped Amazon. So she was happy. :rolleyes:

BalsamFur, slysir, Jakuka and 12 others like this.
  7. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  8. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Fast forward to 1989. Im 10years old. Times are a bit tougher for us financially. I'm also battling some sorta vision issues. Im rapidly losing my eye sight and they can't figure out why.
    Neighbor of ours (single mom, 3kids) is good friends with us and is planning a trip to see her parents in FL. She asks my mom if she can bring my sister along to help (she's 15) and myself. Wants to goto Disney & Seaworld. My mom reluctantly agrees, thinking I may go blind soon and atleast I'll have the memories.
    Her parents live alongside this canal in central FL. We fish just about everyday.
    One day were fishin and I see this log out there. So I start castin around it. And of course I snag the log! I start pullin and reelin and the log starts comming in! YES! Not gonna lose my lure! I can see it stuck right on top of the log.
    Just as I get the log to shore and start reachin for my lure THE LOG OPENS IT'S EYES AND LURCHES OUT OF THE WATER AT ME!!
    Now let me back track a bit. Because we were tight on funds my momma got hand me downs from just about anywhere. Especially shoes! I was growin like a weed and would go 2-3 shoe sizes a year! So she would get me shoes that would last AKA too dang big! And would stuff the toes with tissues.
    So here I am, face to face with a gator thats flyin at me MOUTH OPEN! I jump back and fall right on my butt!
    The gator clamps right down on my foot!! BUT grabs the tissue filled toe. I go scrambling back and my shoe slides right off. I take off running to the house! SCREW YOUR ZIGZAG!! I broke land speed records while wearin a single clown shoe!
    I look back and that gator is standing on the bank with my shoe in its mouth. Head up in the air. Just taunting me.
    So what do I do? I start grabbin driveway gravel and proceed to pelt that slimey bastard with white driveway rocks.
    Eventually it drops my shoe and goes back in the water. After I watch it swim away I run down there and grab my prized shoe! Holes and all.

BalsamFur, slysir, Jakuka and 10 others like this.
  9. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Does an encounter with a roommates ferret count? Evil little devils they are

10. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Fast forward again! Now its the summer of 1992 I'm 13. My aunt (different one) and uncle retired and moved to southern VA to raise black angus cattle. It was somewhere around Gretna VA. He died over the winter and she was not staying so my momma sent me down to help her out for the summer. The cattle were being taken cared of by a neighbor who raised his own cattle, tobacco and soy. He was also a Mennonite which just fascinated me. We became pretty close and I helped him all summer.
    There was this pond that I loved to fish in (see a pattern) and one day I'm fishin. Lyin in the grass, eyes closed, cane pole, sun shinin! And I see this shadow come over me and all of a sudden something starts dripping on my face!!
    I openel my eyes and its this bull. Now I'm a city boy, and don't know much about farms, but one thing I know is bulls are mean! So I jump up to my feet and it snorts!
    I start backin away and it starts walkin towards me. I start walkin faster, it starts walkin faster! Now I start runnin!! And the bull starts jogging behind me.
    Around and around and around this pond I go. And the bull is not stopping!!
    Along the bank is a lone catapala tree. I manage to climb the tree and am safe! But the bull stops right under the tree!! Then it lays down!!!
    Hours pass. It's near dark. I'm tired, thirsty, sunburnt. And off in the distance I hear a tractor. Its the neighbor. I start screaming CURTIS!! CURTIS!! He hears me and chugs up to the pond. And starts laughing. Just about falls off the tractor.
    I tell him how this bull chased me all over and has had me trapped in that tree all day. Which only makes him laugh harder!
    He jumps off the tractor tells me to climb down. Which I do and then explains to me that for some godly reason. This bull is just really friendly, loves people and will follow you until you scratch its head :eek:

BalsamFur, slysir, kronin323 and 7 others like this.
  11. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    So those are my most riveting stories.

I have had a few others. Fisher jumping on my head, rabid skunk and meeting my wife, snapping turtle in my hatchback while waiting overnight for concert tickets, elbowed a bear in the face thru my tent.

I think its genetic. I watched my mom knock out a goat killing donkey

12. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Depends on what you were trying to do to the ferret... o_O

13. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As a kid my neighbor had a ferret that bit my finger once. That's all I got....

14. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is this GAW reopened for the GI Joe ?
    (I'll never stop:D)

15. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    I may have one in my moms garage.

16. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    Nope! He's mine! But I was going to do a GAW for any really interesting posts and I have to say, @Paulyseggs stories were fantastic! The monkey one actually had me in tears!

Pauly, Pm me you're address you've won a prize!!!!

A random GAW can happen here at anytime for good animal attack stories!

17. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Pauly’s stories made me cry. I read the first one to my wife. She normally just sits or tells me to shut up. She almost choked. Good one @Paulyseggs . Jerry Clower should have had that one in his list.

18. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Please tell about the rabid skunk meeting your wife.

19. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Not nearly as exciting.

Both of our fathers died of lung disease and their deaths brought us to be neighbors.

A few months after she moved in a rabid skunk was running between our yards. I chased it around the neighborhood with my benji airgun but couldn't kill it. She offered me a beer and we sat and chatted. I'm pretty oblivious to women talking to me so I didnt think anything of it. Few days later we went to the movies with a few friends of hers. And now 18years later. Here we are! IMG_20190729_134853_2091_01.jpg

slysir, Jakuka, kronin323 and 5 others like this.
  20. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    I wish it was fake. I was pee my pants terrified of monkeys my entire childhood. Even now they make me uneasy. And when that lady got her face ripped off in CT I was literally a few blocks away working at a grocery store and watched the cops and EMS fly by.

F&$#king hate monkeys.

21. Jonah L. Archer

Blog Posts:
    @Paulyseggs

The monkey story is one of the funniest things I've ever read! :18:

22. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    WOW, you need to write a book. That is so neat.

I met my second wife through the bullet proof glass at the drive up window at the bank. We got married a few weeks later. Lasted 20 years and 3 beautiful kids, then she was called home.

Life is an adventure for sure.

23. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. It's all I got thou.
    Been told I should but Im not a good writer and who would wanna read it?

JeffG, NevadaBlue and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  24. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a pretty embarrassing story I dont usually own up to, but this is a safe space, right? ;):4:

My wife was 6mos pregnant for our first child. She was never an outdoor person so I had to slowly introduce her to it. I would take her on short hikes at various parks and rec areas. On this particular occasion I took her to a place an hour away called Hidden Lake Gardens in Tipton,Mi. (Its run by MICHIGAN State University's agriculture department...at least it use to be...and it's a wonderful place to go if anyone lives near there).
    So we are on this short hike through some tall grass in this meadow and something moves in the grass at my feet. I was sure it was a snake and im deathly afraid of them. I took off, performing some sort of swim move (like a defensive end does to get around the tight end) around my wife and within seconds am 50yds up the trail. Turns out it was just a chipmunk and my wife has never let it go....How I sacrificed my pregnant wife and unborn child to get away from a ferocious chipmunk...:27:

25. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    Only if you dropped the ferret into the top of a pair of leather lederhosen you were wearing and then cinched the top shut. It's called ferret dancing.

26. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's what happens when ya monkey around...

27. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The elusive chipmunk snake...
    -chipmunk-194652.gif

28. pacificcoastbushcraft

pacificcoastbushcraft Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    In no way does my story compare to some of the ones already posted.

When I was about 7 years old, I went on a road trip with my grandmother and great-grandmother. We were at Lake Louise in Alberta, CA. All I remember was that I was feeding a pair of deer some crackers. When I ran out of crackers, one of the deer head bunted my chest and knocked me on my ass. Later in life, my grandmother confirmed the story.

Steve

29. TrailbreakerOutdoors

TrailbreakerOutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well...I got dengue fever in the Philippines...so I GUESS a Mosquito kind of attacked me?

That shit sucked.

30. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Mosquitoes are the 2nd biggest killer of mankind. Mankind itself is No.1.

31. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    With stats like that, seems like we need a dedicated thread making sure everybody here is aware of the danger. Maybe headed by some sort of sensationalist news article.

32. Hawkce541

Hawkce541 Tracker

Blog Posts:

Dude! You have......animal magnetism. You might want to stay indoors...lol

33. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got flogged by a duck when I was 6. trying to catch one of her ducklings. It was more traumatic for my mom than it was for me. My mom is deathly afraid of birds, and mother’s instinct kicked in on both parts. She stepped in to protect me. I still took a few wings to the head.
    I got attacked by a den of tiny ticks a few weeks ago. That sucks.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  34. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    The last time I attacked an animal was last week...that bunny never knew what hit it :4:

Honestly, though I live in an area full of wild animals I've never been attacked by one. I have been bitten by a couple pet dogs (my fault), and been threatened/bluffed by a critter or two (a big male Javelina that refused to leave the trail we were both on, and then backed me up off the trail and down to the river's edge before he would pass, was a memorable one...). For the most part, avoidance tactics (cook away from tent, bear bag food, etc) work well enough; most wild animals don't really seem to want to tangle with a human if they can help it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  35. Lazarusaurus

Lazarusaurus Idot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pinky finger?

Jonah L. Archer and kronin323 like this.
  36. Ullr-North

Ullr-North Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I was 5 or 6 years old the family took the boat out to an island in Lake Huron that had an automated lighthouse and was a breeding ground for seagulls. I was bending down to look at some fuzzy chicks in a nest when I was dropped to the ground by a blow to the back of the head. Apparently mommy or daddy seagull took exception to my interest in their chicks and dive bombed me hitting me with it's beak. Needed 3 stitches to close the gash on my head. Common slang at the time was to refer to seagulls as shit-hawks but to me they are always shit-heads.

seagull.gif

37. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    One time during x-mas I got attacked by a squirrel. We had a bunch of family over and were all sitting around the living room when we started hearing a noise coming from our x-mas tree, which I had harvested from the wild.

As I was looking through the tree to see what was making the noise, I saw a squirrel - it must have been hiding in the tree when I harvested it. It immediately jumped out and started running around. Everybody freaked out. At one point I was gonna throw a jacket over it and wack it with a hammer but somehow it got on my back without me noticing and everybody freaked out some more.

Then the dog started chasing it all over the house, knocking stuff over left and right. Made a real mess. But I was able to open the front door at just the right moment and both squirrel and dog exited without further incident.

It was a x-mas to remember. I think somebody eventually made a movie out of it.

38. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    Nice try, but no patch for you.

39. Jonah L. Archer

Blog Posts:
  40. kronin323

Blog Posts:
  41. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    As a kid I had plenty of dog bites coming from behind me and attacking me the through the years,
    Dad taught me how to deal with aggressive animals so that they don't scare me any more. "There are always exceptions to the rule."
    Mountain lions have hunted me and bears confronted me and they turn away .really.
    As a christian I face all threats with authority rather than fear . most of the time, even insects even Bees obey me directing them back out or just away .
    It is not a childish fantasy, but knowing my Heavenly Father is watching over me makes all the difference.

42. Ullr-North

Ullr-North Scout

Blog Posts:
    Last moose season, 2 members of my hunting party went to check out a meadow in the forest. They walked in and as they came around the final turn in the trail they saw what they first thought was a deer bedded down in the meadow. This was about 50 yards away. All of a sudden a cougar gets up that was hidden just behind what was obviously it's kill. Within a second or two it charges them. My 72 year old hunting buddy quickly threw his .338 Win Mag rifle up to his shoulder and snap shot this female cougar after it had covered about 3/4 of the distance to them. Didn't look through the scope, just pointed and shot. 7 feet long stretched out from tip of nose to tip of tail. He had a tag for cougar but wasn't actively hunting for one. We always buy a couple of tags for them as the local ranchers appreciate when you shoot one as they have become increasingly common in the area and they loose a lot of calves in the spring to them.

c.jpg

An animal attack that turned out badly for the animal.

43. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Whoa!

Jonah L. Archer likes this.
  44. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    It's amazing how quickly they can cover distance when they want to. Watching a video is one thing but seeing it firsthand is another.

45. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  46. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid I worked for an electrician, believe it or not his name was Wyers. My job was to craw around in the attics, drill a few holes and pass electrical cable down to the plugs, switches, light fixtures and whatever. This one particular job was in an older house back in amongst some pine trees. I could tell the house had been added onto because the original roofline had been met by an addition that ran in at a right angle. Fortunately, they had cut away enough of the old roof that I could get access to the area where I needed to go. I had to crawl through pretty low, though.

As I crawled under I recall hearing a familiar sound. Chewing. Not rodent chewing, insect chewing. Wasp nest building. When I looked back I saw a large nest, about 9 inches across covered in wasps. I had not known they were there, so it took no special courage to get in. But I had to get back out the same way I came in. Could think of no alternative. I sure wasn't going to try to destroy the nest—that was a sure recipe for stings. There was no alternative path. So, I crawled back through there. I'm sure I got down as close to those joists as I could. I made it out and did not have to go back.

Funny thing is I had crawled through a lot of attics without seeing nests. I think most attics are too hot for the devils. But that house was very well shaded, so maybe that was why they were there.

I survived that one.

47. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Bears run amazingly fast too.

First time I saw one run full speed. I was in awe. I dont think a horse could run that fast from a standstill

Jonah L. Archer and kronin323 like this.