Annual BCUSA Old Codgers Planning Thread - General Comments

Discussion in 'BUSHCRAFT CODGERS' started by FIELDCRAFTLTC, Sep 19, 2018.

Tags:
?

How many days should the Round-up be?

1. 2 days

3.1%
  2. 3 days

21.9%
  3. 4 days

34.4%
  4. 5 days

40.6%
  1. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good to me .
    Current River , Columbus Day right ?

blind & lost likes this.
  2. DF Bob

DF Bob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First one, that is just cold. May mosquitoes plague you for a year.

Second, that should help clear out the crowds in a hurry! LOL.

Staleym and blind & lost like this.
  3. DF Bob

Blog Posts:
    With enough old codgers I might be relatively easy to set up a shuttle so that there could be a base camp, with day floats. If we can just remember to go back to pick up the crew at the take-out.

4. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cool, I’ll bring my Uber minivan

blind & lost likes this.
  5. DF Bob

Blog Posts:
    HAHA, Boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, get your coffee and put a dollop in it if you want, and gather 'round the campfire, It's finally raining, with a skiff of snow here so work is shut down today and maybe tomorrow, so I will address some perceived travel concerns for this gathering. Much of this is meant with some to a lot of jest, but there are scooch's (sp?) of truth herein.

What is the difference between Europe and America?? In America 500 years is a long time, and in Europe 500 miles is a very very long way! (Mr. Hitler almost pushed the French into the Atlantic in less distance than it takes for me to travel to Salt Lake City.) So, when we are considering a gathering mid country, 500 to 750 miles is an adventure (maybe one with several stops to find bushes, but an adventure none the less. ) Mr.Fixit has, estimating, about 700 or so based on alternative travel plans I've considered before. 'LTC has a ways to go, probably knocking in the door to a thousand miles if we do this on the Current River, which seems to be the current plan (no pun in ten did). OutNBacker, FreeMe, NevadaBlue and I all have better than 1500 miles. I will pick 'Blue up if he wants, but I understand he does't travel well, which I respect!.

So, this has the potential to be quite an adventure and a good thing, but because of the various travel distances, I think
    5 days is the minimum to plan for, with us arriving and departing as our individual schedules and needs require.

It would be most helpful if the location is "pet friendly" as I have an older pooch that is my constant traveling companion and nobody to leave her with. Also, and this may be treading in thin ice, what about curmudgonettes? I may be rcently married at that time, or nearing so (no date set yet), but ??? Belching, cigars and pipes, passing "flatulence", and stories to outright lies are expected, but would this be lady-friendly? (Heck, would be want it to be??) (Besides, I have seen some bushcraft-type items done on this site by ladies who are far more skilled at what they do than probably 90% of us guys (and do you realize then 95 percent of statistics are just made up at the time??. ) Just questions, no answers? Or, since some of might travel "better" with our companions, is there someplace nearby that the other half could set up? For example, kind-of-close to @MrFixIt is a town (?) called Helen, I haven't been there but it is supposedly a quaint touristy trap place that at least my Lady likes to spend time. Baring the snakes, ticks, spiders, scorpions and both poison ivy and oak, I suspect there are Bushcraft Gathering places nearby. (Not that I am recommending changing, I have an interest in the Current Plan (now pun in ten did) as my ancestors set up for some time in the Lebanon area to the near-west of there and I would like to check that out.) (But then again, they also set us (signed the charter for the town) of Lancaster up in Mass, so the 'LTC can set up the next Gathering in the NE for the Fall colors, LOL) (If you do that, just give @FreeMe and I time to go build wood-canvas canoes up in Maine!)

So, iff (if and (only) if (sort of)) I can finish a dam project (NOT a typo) that I am babysitting, count me in, 1750 miles and all. I will bring a canoe. (and depending in answers to the forgoing, maybe a bride?) (Canoe is less expensive, I KNOW that!).

Whatever it is, should be fun to actually meet some of the folks we have befriended, share a meal and a dram or two. (For those of you in Tennessee or down south, how is it that Jack Daniels is produced in a DRY county? ) LOL

Also, one of my kids works for Union Pacific. I thought about renting a box car and we in the west could all become paying hobo's, load the gear and canoes, and then bum local transport from you "locals" back there, but probably that is a neat sounding idea that doesn't work, and most of us have bushcraft skills that may be significantly different from "hobo" skills that involve simply staying alive on the rails as "more experienced" individuals. LOL. THAT would be an adventure, bring new meaning to the hobo stove concept!

Bob

Staleym, MrFixIt and blind & lost like this.
  6. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Speaking for me .... Yep

blind & lost likes this.
  7. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'll be looking for a nearby campground for my travel trailer, in which my better half is planning to stay in while I'm playing in the woods. We plan to camp coming and going since it's a bit of a drive from SW Florida.

Staleym likes this.
  8. DF Bob

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys! Now just ave to get work and weather to cooperate. Have a project that has a near-congressional (sorry!) approval to drain and then refill by a set time, weather not-withstanding. Now have snow, so heavy construction stops, so . . . on to next year. This does sound too good to miss! Already have the calendar red-lettered.

Bob

9. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Is it a lock for Current River?? Any scouting by "locals" needed? If I missed it above I apologize. I want to start planning for nearby camping location for better half.

Staleym likes this.
  10. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Current River sounds Ok by me . I was sort of pursuing other sights , but like somebody said just nail it down and proceed .
    Don’t know how the others feel . Might have to start PMing .

blind & lost likes this.
  11. Staleym

Staleym Dunadan of Cascadia One of the Free People Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hey there from Cascadia! I realize I'm a day or two late to this discussion. Still, the Current River looks mighty inviting. I looked it up and it would be 2100+ miles and 32 hours driving on Interstates. Guess I have to settle for the one day camp of 3 Codgers and 2 NCs (Non Codgers) on the Collawash Wild and Scenic River May 19th at the Cascadia Regional GTG when everyone but @NevadaBlue, @OutnBacker and I were the only ones remaining, though @Dogboy15 and daughter arrived and put up with us.

1st Annual Cascadia GTG, Nevadablue’s view

Roughing it smoothly in the Oregon Sunshine! :18:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Dogboy15 and NevadaBlue like this.
  12. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If the Current River trip comes about I will be there in spirit for sure. Look for an old hippie sitting on a gravel bar along the way. ;) Lots of fine memories on that river for me. You might even spy an old school bus camper just below the Cedargrove low water bridge. (If you squint just right).

A good page about the river:

http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/current2.html

There is a slide show link, a little ways down on the right in that link.

This is the low water bridge. We used to jump into the tubes on the upstream side and shoot out the other side. What a hoot!

34C49C05-A958-4F87-A9E8-C075B633CB2E.jpeg

You may spy the ghost bus where the river turns to the right below the bridge. There were no grates on the tubes back then.

89D1D25C-0110-46F6-A5D7-62D5BB424DF1.jpeg

That was a great camp site too. The put in for commercial canoe trips was just below the bridge. The non-competent city folks would paddle the short distance to the first riffle, run into the cliff on the other side of it and turn over.
    We had plenty of free food and beer on a good weekend. The dummies would pull their canoe up on the gravel bar, pick up what they saw of their gear and go on. I would then put on my diving mask and go to the bottom of the hole below the cliff and get the goodies.

LOL, one time a pair did the ‘turn over,’ started arguing and the next thing I saw was HIM going down the river in the canoe and HER walking after him, screaming, IN the middle of the river. Free entertainment.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Staleym likes this.
  13. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    -Been nappin. What happened?!?

Staleym likes this.
  14. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately, looking quite doubtful for me at this point.:2:

Staleym likes this.
  15. Sierramtns42

Sierramtns42 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well I might be interested in attending. I definitely qualify for old codger, 77 years worth. It would depend on when, where, and SWMBO. We live in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California so it sounds like a pretty fair drive from here to wherever, but nevertheless. We really haven't visited that much of the USA, mostly foreign countries, but I would like to know more of my country. Would this be a wives/husbands also welcome affair (no pun intended)? I am new to the BCUSA so have zero knowledge of the protocols, customs, whatever of such an outing. My wife and I camp out a lot, but seldom/never in developed sites. At most we might camp where there is a privy and a pump for water, otherwise just wherever it looks interesting and quiet and isolated.

16. Sierramtns42

Sierramtns42 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    "do you realize then 95 percent of statistics are just made up at the time??. "

Well I have it on multiple, verified, authentic, government believable websites that actually only 93.7 percents of statistics are made up on the spot.

Staleym likes this.