Another inflatable mattress fail!

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by Beach Hiker, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some of you may remember I posted in the past about the failings of inflatable mattresses....
    Well... it happened again!
    Last night I once again woke up on the ground.... while my wife (thank goodness) slept happily on her side (which had no issues).
    20190711_082931.jpg

I am forever done with them!
    For car camping and with my wife (as in this trip) I'm going to get some nice cots.
    For myself.... I'm easy. Foam mat.
    No more inflatables for me.

Bobsdock, Bush Billy, KFF and 7 others like this.
  2. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Which particular brand name failed you, and how long have you had it?

3. Jack of the Wood

Jack of the Wood Scout

Blog Posts:
    Also interested.

Puncture? Seam delaminated? Valve leak?

4. Red Ochre

Red Ochre Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wish Thermarest still made those Tuffskin mats!!

What were they thinking by taking them off the market?

5. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    This one was Coleman. It's a moderately slow leak.
    I still haven't identified where the problem is.... as I am still using it.
    But I have had just about every brand, and over time they have all failed.
    This one gave me about 5 years of usage....

6. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have yet to find an inflatable mattress that wasn't junk. Understand, I am not talking a sleeping pad. I have several inflatable sleeping pads that have served me well for years. I currently have an Exped that I love.

Bobsdock, Bush Billy, Todd1hd and 5 others like this.
  7. Jack of the Wood

Jack of the Wood Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad you pointed that out. I automatically registered “air mattress” as “sleeping pad” in my mind.

8. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have used and abused my ecotek and it has never failed me

Attached Files:

9. Oni

Oni Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just bought one of those “ultralight cots”.

Going to try it out next weekend. Foam pads have had me wake up stiff and sore the last few times...mainly because my kid gets most of them squirming around.

Never sleep good with him camping. Always making sure he’s on the pad, always making sure he’s covered. Maybe next time I’ll stick him in a mummy bag LOL.

10. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I thought they were the same thing as well.

11. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Five years seems to be an excellent lifespan for the cost at least the Walmart cost here. It is true they all die a slow death at the worst time. I love my cots no more crawling around to get up.

12. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the club. I'm also forever done with inflatable air pads and mattresses.

13. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Still not totally clear about the message. My first Thermorest, from 1983 still works fine, as do several others. In that series of foam-filled, self-inflating mattresses, one did spring a leak after six years. A genuine Thermorest of the brass valve era. I need to get it to a bathtub.

"Air mattresses," the things full of only air, have always seemed risky, although, in theory, it ought to be possible to make one tough enough=gh to last and last.

Bobsdock, Todd1hd and Beach Hiker like this.
  14. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    I have had both mattresses and self-inflating (a la thermarest) fail on me.... maybe I'm just unlucky.
    But a cot fail? Hard to imagine...

Bobsdock and Bitterroot Native like this.
  15. jordanzwon1

jordanzwon1 Husband, Father, Christ Follower Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Kylmit Static V Lux is my go too. Hasn’t failed after many many nights on it.

However I did source recently and bought the Helinox Cot One Max......that thing is a game changer. Worth every penny!

RJM52, M.Hatfield and Bobsdock like this.
  16. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Three cots have failed on me..

First was entirely attributed to age though, it was one of those ancient Tex Sports canvas cots with the heavy steel tube frame and wire legs... which had been stored in a hot, humid shed for 20 years.
    The second.. was a 1950s army cot with a shoddily repaired leg that I found in a resale store cheap... of course that one leg failed...

The third... a Luxurylite , original Ultralite cot.. the old gray/white with black laminate fabric was probably way too old and its starting to rip at 2 points where the plastic feet and tension bows are attached to... that one did hold me up fine if I dont put point stress on it. It was made before Thermarest bought Luxurylite out. Have not found source for replacement fabric, but legs and bows, yes. So thinking to sew a new fabric body that would hold an USGI Vinyl Industries inflatable pad, which hasn't shown any sign of leakage.

M.Hatfield, Bobsdock and Beach Hiker like this.
  17. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    I may go insane!!

18. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Understand that 2 out of those 3 were over 20 years old each, with one being well over 60 years old...and that the other was used hard before I acquired it. But.. I have never had an USGI aluminum and nylon cot fail on me have had 3 to 4 of those.. always went back to hammocks... oh forgot to add a 4th, which failed rather spectacularly within 1 year of purchase...
    .. but it was an el cheapo copy of the Army cot that came from either Wal Mart or similar:rolleyes: it was made in China if thats saying anything :rolleyes:

Understand though, I was close to 300lbs for 3 of those 4 failures, and was about 230lbs for the failure of the ancient canvas and steel Tex Sports cot.

YMMV.

M.Hatfield, Bobsdock and Beach Hiker like this.
  19. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    @CamoDeafie82
    Thanks for the reassurance .
    I guess I will buy the cots and see what happens. I'll let you know!

M.Hatfield, Bobsdock and CamoDeafie82 like this.
  20. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wife bought me an aluminum folding cot at Walmart. They still sell it.

Comes with a foam pad.

The bed surface - some plastic-coated fabric - is reinforced around the perimeter with a wire, with the fabric folded over to form a tube for the wire.

The wire cuts through the fabric. The cot surface collapses.

For light duty only - if that.

21. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hammocks...? Dutch chameleon hammocks allow for rigging two hammocks next to each other.

22. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When car keeping with the wife we just look on Craigslist for a cheap futon mattress with a broken frame. Take just the mattress.

23. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    A lot of the cheap futon mattresses are filled with scrap/chopped fibers batting, same sort of stuff used in moving blankets. Decent insulation value, but way heavy for the "loft" they provide.

24. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    Get a roll of dog proof screen at your local lumber yard or hardware store. It's tough, light, and breathes. Perfect material for a new cot cover. I redid two out of the stuff and it worked great.

25. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Theres also the coarse polyester industrial mesh available at the local outdoors fabric place, I just bought 2.5 yards of the 400x300 small Diamond ripstop fabric, which looks very interesting... requires new, microtek sharp sharp needles though. Going to see how it does.

26. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    OK, you seem sensible so this is most likely a silly question but have you inflated it fully then placed it in a bathtub or pool and try to submerge it?
    that way you can see bubbles escaping as you would with a bicycle tire?

Beach Hiker, M.Hatfield and Bobsdock like this.
  27. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    I'm not even going to attempt fixing it. I know it will just spring a leak somewhere else.

M.Hatfield and Bobsdock like this.
  28. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here is another thing about those air beds/mattresses that are 6 to 24 inches tall; Cold air contracts. So after being heated up by being pumped through a pump into an air mattress; and done during the hot part of the day, when it gets cooler, due to no insulation whatsoever; the air in the mattress WILL contract, thus losing volume; and deflating a bit. On the other hand, slow leaks exacerbate the problem because the colder the air, the more likely it will find smaller holes to exit from. This is why some of the more expensive indoor air beds have an automatic pump that keeps it inflated when it senses the air volume decreasing. Absolutely rubbish in the woods though, as these require 110V power ;)

It does seem that the smaller the air mattress, the less likely it will deflate.... possibly due to materials, possibly due to having insulation on some of the better ones, and possibly due to having not much air space to cool down.

29. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Are you overfilling it?

Only inflate an air mattress enough to just keep your butt of the ground when SITTING on it.

The mattress will only be partially filled but will be filled a proper amount to keep you off the ground when laying on it.

30. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been considering some things..... for example, the insulated foam "self inflating" pads? These use open cell foam to do the "inflating" as far as I can tell, and are quite thin... open cell foam seems to insulate real well if not compressed. Same with down. So... how come there ain't a company making basically a 3 to 4 inch thick open cell foam insulated pads with non-breathable material covers that could hold air pressure in??? Valves of course. But honestly, I don't see why that couldn't work... maybe it has more to do with bulk and weight?

31. Jack of the Wood

Jack of the Wood Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used a large piece of 3” or 4” thick open cell foam to sleep on for a few months. I think it was originally sold for making furniture cushions. It worked well, though. Good thought!

32. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't quite have a way to seal my seams from air leaks/pressure, but its been on my mind since I picked up an USGI "self inflating" pad which definitely has open cell insulation... in theory, a 3-4", 25-26" wide waterproof/airproof mattress with open cell foam insulation and a 2 way valve could make a very warm, relatively lightweight "cowboy roll" that would be ideal for car camping.. as opposed to the uninsulated air beds that will always leak eventually ?

Beach Hiker likes this.
  33. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I like the air mattresses that you speak of, but they do not last. I used one for an actual everynight bed for a couple of years, even made a special bed frame for it. We also had one with a built-in pump, that would keep it at a certain pressure level. Worked great, but did have a slow leak and the pump would kick in at night.

Funny story about air mattresses. When my wife and I moved back into our old place again, we didn't have a regular mattress, but we did have an inflatable one. It was a large one and had two air chambers so each could have it inflated to their preference. Slept very well with that, but the next morning when I woke up my wife's side was flat. :) Little bit of teasing about her needing to lose a little weight didn't go over too good. :) Especially since she was pretty thin at that time. We figured she just didn't have the air plug tight enough.?

Gentleman that I am, sometime during the day I switched it around so if it did leak, it would be on my side. Woke up the next morning after a great sleep and was pretty sure that the problem must have been the air plug.... until I realized that her side was flat again. :) Apparently she had also switched it during the daytime for not so gentlemanly reasons...:33: it is funny to think about it now, but at the time it really got me thinking...,:eek:

The third night we had a real mattress to sleep on. :)

34. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Five years is a pretty good run. The real kick in the pants is that except for a major blow out, the only time you know they are leaking is when you wake up on hard ground.

I love my cots. I sleep on one every night. Can't find a mattress that suits me.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  35. RJM52

RJM52 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Up until about two years ago all I have used since 1999 has been a Wiggy's standard pad.... They now have a new Luxury pad that is quite a bit thicker...since you are mostly car camping this may work for you....

https://www.wiggys.com/ground-pads/luxurious-ground-pad/

About two years ago I started using a Klymit Luxe either above of below the Wiggy's pad depending on the time of year.. I also just picked up a NEMO extra large 3" thick airmattress...have not slept out with it but it is very comfortable...

https://www.amazon.com/Nemo-Cosmo-S...+air+mattress&qid=1563193396&s=gateway&sr=8-5

But I always have the Wiggy's pad under me as even if the air mattress goes down I still am no worse off that I have been from 1999-2016....

Bob

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  36. gargoyle

gargoyle Scout

Blog Posts:
    CCF Pads don’t leak.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  37. TrailbreakerOutdoors

TrailbreakerOutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not a thermarest? I have a prolite for the last 5 years and it is perfect. We also have a Thermarest from the 80s and it is still in perfect shape, lifetime warranty too if something is actually wrong.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  38. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Do they come in 2-3" thickness? ;)

M.Hatfield, gargoyle and Beach Hiker like this.
  39. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    When you said air mattress I assumed you meant one made for camping. We have one of those that we use for guest in our home. After a few years I had to patch it with the included repair kit. As far as I know it's still good to go.

For camping I'm loyal to Thermarest NeoAir mats, not the self inflating kind. I've been using them for years without issues (knock on wood). If you want the most fool proof under insulation then closed cell foam pads are your best bet. I still have my first ever mat from my childhood and my youngest still uses it. Personally though as a side sleeper they just don't cut it for me anymore. Some guys are able to get away with a 1/4 torrso pad, I'm not one of them.

I've got to ask beach hiker if you're camping in areas with sand spurs? That could explain your luck. In the beaches near me they have them and they are no joke.

M.Hatfield and Beach Hiker like this.
  40. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I see open cell foam cushions on ebay, 24"×72", heights anywhere from 0.5" to 6", in a few compressibility ratings for pretty cheap with free shipping... I wonder if I were to make a casing in silnylon, and seal the single U shaped seam with silnet glue or something like that, and have a valve of sorts that it could basically retain 50-90% of the air in there, with insulation, and work out pretty well? With a valve, one could vacuum the air out, thus compressing it as far as possible and then use a pair of compress straps? Likely a bit heavy due to foam itself, but lighter than most heavy duty cots.. and OCF does insulate pretty well.

The other option would be to get yards of latex or vinyl and basically weld/glue seams for the same thing, but making it more like a rubber mattress

41. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I dont see why one couldn't just stuff a leaky air bed with OCF strips in 6"x6"x72" or up to that size, depending on the internal baffles of the air bed, and then use vinyl repair glue and scraps to reseal?
    Would basically give one the ability to have some structure to prevent deflating down to the ground, and since its a car camping mattress anyhow, maybe doesn't matter that much for the weight...

I do see that Sleepy's offers a foam mattress that looks like the sort one would find in cabin beds and rv/campers...

42. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    No... this was basic forested area....

I was with my wife, which is why I brought this mattress.
    If I'm on my own, I don't much care what I sleep on.

M.Hatfield and CamoDeafie82 like this.
  43. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    I had to drive into town yesterday....

Just by coincidence (!), I chose the route that passes the camping store.
    So, since I was there.... I bought the cot I was looking at.

Trial commences today....

gohammergo, Oni, Dscythe and 2 others like this.
  44. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hoping for the best outcome! Hope you report back with only good news. :)

Beach Hiker likes this.
  45. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    I'll post some pics soon.
    It's very comfortable with nothing on it.... and sturdy.
    High enough to store gear under (a big unthought of advantage..... all that free floor space!).

CamoDeafie82 and M.Hatfield like this.
  46. Odd-Arne Oseberg

Odd-Arne Oseberg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just got a pair of these Soul Naturalmats.

Been sleeping on one for the last week.

soul.jpg

47. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    Those look great!

The new cot:
    20190717_070629.jpg

Oni and M.Hatfield like this.
  48. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recently got the Alps Mountaineering ultralight cot. I have not had the chance to take it out yet, but I am quite impressed with it. It is about as light as you could ever expect something like this to be, and as solidly constructed as something so light could possibly be. I haven't camped with it, but I have slept on it, though, to test it out. Let me tell you, it beats a damn hammock like a DRUM. I have TRIED to camp in hammocks for many years... but I QUIT. The cot may be a little heavier (less than 5 pounds) than a hammock setup, but at least I'll be able to actually SLEEP on the thing, and not lay there all night, tossing and turning in soreness and discomfort! That is durn sure worth an extra 2 or 3 pounds!

Dscythe, Beach Hiker and Oni like this.
  49. Dscythe

Dscythe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looks interesting! Any idea on a rough R value?

Beach Hiker likes this.
  50. Odd-Arne Oseberg

Odd-Arne Oseberg Scout

Blog Posts:
    No idea.