Another Overnight on Another Island

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by rbinhood, Aug 31, 2019.

1. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    Arrival 20190831_163907.jpg
    Camp 20190831_165041.jpg
    Dinner, ribeyes and fresh salad 20190831_175322.jpg
    Apple crisp cooked over the fire for dessert 20190831_184926.jpg

We arrived mid afternoon. Set up camp quickly and began gathering firewood. There were several red pines that had blown down, and many dead branches that were dry and easy to saw off. I used an Irwin carpenter's rough cut saw, 24". Also had a small GB Forest axe along, but hardly used it at all.

Fire was started with some dead birch bark, which the island was littered with. Many birch trees have been killed by the birch borer. I had a cheap grill with short legs, and after the fire died down to coals, I threw on the steaks, which turned out perfectly cooked. After the steaks came off, I slid the pie plate with the apple crisp over the coals and let it cook for about an hour. We had picked the apples earlier that day from a tree in the yard. I took the crisp off when I could hear the apples bubbling under the foil cover.

We were in bed by 9:30. Awoke about midnight to some jackass in a UTV gunning it on the shore across the water. Listened to sound of the idiot revving his engine for what seemed like an hour. Sound really carries across the water at night. Later, the wind kicked up and the temperature dropped a bit. I was afraid the flowage might have whitecaps on it by morning, but the wind died again at dawn, and the water was calm. We decided to pack up and not eat breakfast at camp. The dog was a bit out of sorts, between too many bugs and not being able to curl up at the foot of the bed like he usually does. He was stirring all night, which made it hard to sleep.

We were back on the shore at the boat launch by 8:00. Everything went well, and I remembered most of the gear we needed, except coffee mugs, and silver wear. Thank God I brought my new Stanley fry pan set, which had two sporks inside, and I used my pocket knife to cut the steaks.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice yurts. Beautiful place. Thanks for the seat in the boat.

buckfynn, Timberdogz, pab1 and 5 others like this.
  3. J. Pierce

J. Pierce MOA #65 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey now!
    I'm starting to think I got the crappy end of the stick!

Here to the west all our beaches are either swamp muck or jagged hull opening rocks, yours are all cushy, sandy, level, and where are all the spruce roots sticking up in the campsite?

Nice spot you got there man!

4. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That looks like a great place to spend some time.

buckfynn, pab1, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  5. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    Where did you get the yurts?

buckfynn, pab1, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  6. the_dude

the_dude Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not much to dislike about that.

buckfynn, pab1, Jim L. and 1 other person like this.
  7. J. Pierce

J. Pierce MOA #65 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They are made by Clam, they are called hub shelters.
    The blue one is an ice fishing shelter, the other one is a screen house.
    I also have the screen house style with panels that go over the screens for wind protection.

buckfynn, Timberdogz, pab1 and 2 others like this.
  8. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    As J. Pierce said, they are made by Clam. My wife never saw these in action before, and she was amazed at how quickly they went up. You literally have a functional shelter in less than 5 minutes with either one. The screen house has panels to enclose 5 of the 6 sides. It would be easy to add an extra panel to turn it into a tent.

The blue one is an ice shelter, and the roof is not waterproof, but all you have to do is throw a tarp over it. Would want a center pole to help hold the roof up with a tarp stretched over it. You can sleep 3-4 on cots, or 6 or more on the ground.

Whoever came up with the idea of these hub shelters was a genius.

buckfynn, Timberdogz, pab1 and 3 others like this.
  9. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  10. Timberdogz

Timberdogz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Shelters are really cool, food sounds great.... great little trip! Thanks for bringing us along!

11. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very nice! Have to check out those hubs. :)

I like that screenhouse and the price isn't terrible on it. These go up quickly? Fairly durable? Be great for keeping in the truck for when the bugs are crazy.

buckfynn and pab1 like this.
  12. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    I could have the screen house up in less than 2 minutes. Another 2-3 if you want to attach the wall enclosures. Folds down just as fast. I have yet to have a problem with either the screenhouse or the ice shelter.

buckfynn, pab1 and gohammergo like this.
  13. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great trip report! I had never seen a hub until your post. They look pretty cool. How well do they hold up in heavy winds?

14. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wind impacts them two ways. First, you have make sure you stake them down immediately, or the wind will tip them over and you will be off to the races trying to run them down and stop them from tumbling. Had one get away from me on the ice, and I sprinted after it for about 200 yards through knee deep snow. Luckily I caught it about the time my gas tank was running dry, because it was a mile to the other side of the lake where it would have stopped in the brush on the shore.
    Second, in the center of each hub on the walls, there is a tie out with a rope that you can stake. If you don't use the tie out, and the wind is blowing hard enough, it can collapse the hub inward. No big deal, because you just have to push it back out, but if you are using a wood stove inside with a pipe going out, the wall collapsing could tip the stove over or cause the pipe to disconnect, which could cause a fire.