Any dog hunter's on here

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Jonathan Henson, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just out of curiosity if anyone keeps hunting dogs besides the different lines of fox hounds if anyone has seen or heard of dogs that could be cut into a race and catch fox or coyote's

Beach Hiker, BBizy and Woodsroamer like this.
  2. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah. A few of us on here. I’m a coon hunter but I got quite a few friends that run fox and bobcats. I started a thread called For the Houndsmen. Check it out and I’m sure some more will be along directly

Woodsroamer likes this.
  3. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cool thanks I grew up hunting coons with my dad but fox and coyote's are getting big numbers to the point they have killed livestock and pets right in front of people. I know the different lines of fox hounds would be the mine ones for taking them down but the few I have seen seem to just want to run instead of catching. I am thinking for our area using our coon hounds to drive them out of cover and have a pair of fast smart kill dogs would be the faster way to deal with them. I am looking at some cur x stock dogs and cur x pointer's they seem to have a lot going for them

BBizy and Woodsroamer like this.
  4. Woodsroamer

Woodsroamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would imagine something like how people hunt hogs, with a mix pack of trailing hounds and a couple pit bull type dogs that are big and strong enough to dispatch one. Some kind of traditional wolf hunting hounds might also work well.

BBizy likes this.
  5. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I know that they use grayhounds alot to hunt coyotes. The rigs I have seen are usually a pickup with a flatbed and special dog boxs mounted up by the back of the cab. The doors are on a remote release in the truck cab. They drive down back roads or fields and when they spot a coyote they hit the realese and the dog box doors spring open and out fly the dogs hot on the coyote. The truck dosent even slow down when releasing the dogs. Its really quite a sight to see.

BBizy, jasam, TWill and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    that what I though at first but seems like not a lot of the pit bulls have the speed to over take a running fox or coyote's

BBizy likes this.
  7. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I have talked to guys that have done it but that is out in the plans country I am from Kentucky were it hills and heavy cover that was why I am looking at some mix breed curs fast running but still able to track

BBizy likes this.
  8. Woodsroamer

Woodsroamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    That’s why I said pit bull like and normally I think either the scent hounds can slow/stop it or a faster feistier breed will be used to distract it till the mastiff/pit bull types show up to finish everything

BBizy likes this.
  9. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Plus out side of the sight hounds I don't know of dogs that were used to catch and it looks like they are not the greats because of the land we hunt

BBizy likes this.
  10. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, out here in the open farmlands there are a lot of hound hunters who prefer chasing and shooting coyotes. They rig up tracking electronics and turn the hounds loose on a river or swamp area near farmland. Generally landowners want the coyote numbers reduced so permission is easier to get for day time hunting of what are perceived as nuisance animals. Also the MN DNR has few restrictions on taking coyotes by traditional hunting methods. We had a grade bluetick hound that we got from a guy out in western MN who was mostly into coyote hunting with his pack of hounds. Night hunts for raccoons has declined as hides don't bring in much cash and landowner and hunting land leasor type folks get uppity about what impact it may or might not have on deer hunting in the fall. I think you are right though about chasing them in hills and hollers, it would change the method from what is done in flat country.

11. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah it not to hard to find a tree stock hound like a blue tick to jump and run a coyote but they don't have the speed to overtake one that wants to run so the coyotes and fox both will run a big loop staying just ahead of the hounds. So my idea was a pair of fast running catch dogs could be cut into the run and at least stop the run. Looks like a cur x is the mostly likely fit but I though someone els might have done it with a different kind

TWill likes this.
  12. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    The run is the goal up here then the shooters intercept the chase at a roadway. The farmland up here is sectioned out like a checkerboard so eventually there will be a road so trucks with shooters will be trying to stay ahead of the pack on the chase. In rural areas the gravel roads are mostly E-W and N-S so I understand the need you have for catches dogs where rivers and streams meander about as much as the roads. They will need endurance and grit. Maybe Plotts are what you should look at.

13. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah plotts are in the top for tracking dogs but were we don't get a lot of snow and they tend to be so far ahead of the hounds was looking at a catch dog since I don't like shooting running game

14. L0NER

L0NER -Gone Exploring- Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Back before California outlawed hunting with dogs I went on a few chases with some friends of mine for bears. I say chases because we never shot any bears just treed them and let them go. It was quite the experience. We did a lot of trying find the dogs after they where turned loose to chase. They always seemed to tree a bear in the deepest canyon you could find. It’s to bad they can’t do it anymore it kept the bears out of the populated areas of the county.

15. Birdman

Birdman IG: @ChasingTheBackcountry Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That where Lurchers come in. Breeding a fast sight hound like a greyhound with a muscular terrier, like Staffordshire or english bull terrier.
    I've got a Belgian Malinois/ Pit mix that will reel in and wreck a coyotes day pretty easily, so I can only imagine what a true Lurcher can do. Someday I'll have one...

jasam likes this.
  16. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have looked at the lurchers but seems like in the woods and heavy cover they can have problems. When you say reel in a coyote do you mean as a decoy dog or running down also how did you came by a malinois mix I was under the impression that most of the people that had them would see their dogs dead before making a mutt

17. L0NER

Blog Posts:
    Melinois Shepard crosses are very common I have one. Best dog I have ever owned been offered a lot of money for her quite a few times. Not going to happen she is part of the family.

I too was surprised to here of a Melinois Pitbull cross.

Birdman likes this.
  18. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well happy to hear I am wrong just wounding what kind of x have you seen

19. Birdman

Birdman IG: @ChasingTheBackcountry Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Running them down.
    When we bought our property, every night the coyotes would come try to raid our chicken coops or flush the rabbits out of our fence line and chase them around the pasture. I started leaving the back door open. They quickly learned to stay far far away.
    I'm not sure of his history or who let their Malinois breed with a pit. When we got him we were told "Shepherd / Pit mix". We did a DNA test later, and found out he Malinois and American Pit.
    Hes seriously one of the best dogs I've ever had. Stubborn as all get out, but ridiculously smart.
    Strong as hell for his size too (75lbs).
    Really good with my boy and the family.
    He's a winner in our book.
    Screenshot_20190727-135503_Instagram.jpg

okapimike, jasam and BBizy like this.
  20. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hound hunting is my passion. My favorite coon hound is the Walker. Basset hounds for rabbits. Long legged Beagles for deer. Mountain Cur for squirrel, although my best squirrel dog ever was a Manchester Terrier. I use Redbones to strike and bay pigs, Pit Bulls to catch. Never been a big bird hunter outside of ducks, which I used Labradors. If I had to choose one breed it would be the Cur.

I have never had a coyote hunting dog, but those I know who hunt coyote with dogs use the Mountain Cur.

jasam likes this.
  21. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Do you know if they use them as decoy work or running

22. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Just a lab for birds.

23. Pilot

Pilot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just a German Shorthaired Pointer for birds like the Lab guy above. Although I had to put him down a few years ago as he was so old at 16, and was failing. I used to take him out at night though at my friends hunting cabin in the middle of nowhere, upstate PA, and he seemed to do well spotting (smelling) Coyotes, so I always thought he would be a good dog for that. He was big and FAST.

When I lived in Colorado I had a fenced in yard, and would find him nose to nose with a Coyote, looking at each other through the fence. That was interesting. They would just stand and stare at each other a few feet apart, and not make a sound.

24. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here in the south we have what they call fox pens. The name is kinda deceptive because they are stocked with coyotes. My buddy has one that is a little over 450 acres . People pay to bring their packs in and chase coyotes. We get to hear great races every Tuesday and Friday night. They only dog that stands a chance of constantly catching and killing a coyote is a July Walker dog. Other breeds just simply don't have enough bottom to stay in the chase long. The pen owner has to provide escapes such as buried culverts to give the coyote an escape . You can't really run bay dogs and catch dogs on them around here in the eastern woodlands. People do call them and use decoy dogs, but that's a whole different game. Pits are short winded dogs with a smaller lung capacity, that's why they are lead in on hog hunts instead of free ranged. In wide open country sight hounds or mixes may work. I would also read up on " Kemmer" mountain curs. They run silent.

jasam, Hungry and hillst1 like this.
  25. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I tended to think the same way until I meat a guy that had a black mouth cur x pit that did a petty good job of catching coyotes at crossing points

26. santaman2000

santaman2000 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I’d imagine an Irish Wolfhound would do well. After all the bred was developed to run down wolves and kill them.

For an American breed I’d pick a catahoula.

jasam and Birdman like this.
  27. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That is what I am thinking maybe one x with something for more staying power. Which had a guy get up on here with me about a x using a breed called triggs I don't know a lot about them but sounds promising

28. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Use them to run.

29. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Interesting run to the Gun or catch

30. Florida Bullfrog

Florida Bullfrog Scout

Blog Posts:
    I didn’t know people still did that. I do know that’s how coyotes got introduced into the SE; from dog hunters using them to train their dogs behind fences. But of course no fence can keep all coyotes in all of the time.

The ecological impact of coyotes has been disastrous to the deep south. Georgia State biologists believe that coyotes have caused an over 20% reduction in fawn recruitment.

jasam and Birdman like this.
  31. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah and about the same up here in ky they have been getting so bad I am almost afraid they will go after a little kid or a old person before it over

32. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    There is a huge debate on that very issue. The dog hunters blame it on DNR, DNR blames it on the dog hunters. You would be surprised how well the fox pen owners keep up their pens. They coyotes cost them $75 - $125 a piece to replace. They prefer females because the males will often turn around and fight (they lose) instead of running. My buddies pen is woven wire with an electric wire inside the whole perimeter. He feeds high protein food to the coyotes and inoculates them the best he can. If they cant run.... and run well, they don't last. He told me that he has had some get loose before, but most know the sound of his truck and followed him right back into the pen. I've seen the coyotes run a long race, get tired and jump between the electric fence and the border fence ( 18 inch gap) and stand there looking at a dog baying them a mere foot in front of them. I have a video of it somewhere. I don't like coyotes myself and kill everyone I can. But they are here, and here to stay. There was a mortality study done at the Bamberg Bomb plant here in Sc. I think 72% plus was the number they came up with.

jasam likes this.
  33. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    A trigg is a fox walker, sorta like a cousin to a July walker

jasam likes this.
  34. RobOz

RobOz Guide

Blog Posts:
    She will be two in November and we had fun last year, looking to kick it up a notch come September. I ain't looking for a champ but in my opinion she got it in her.

20190730_194257.jpg

35. WesinND

WesinND Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a Deutsch Drahthaar, which is a Wirehair bred in the German breed organization. We hunt mostly birds of all kinds and some small game.

IMG_20181230_000759.jpg IMG_20180921_183648198.jpg IMG_20190323_140150338.jpg

36. Mikem

Mikem Scout

Blog Posts:
    1FC35874-8DC2-4111-943C-10D9A4976D89.jpeg We have a Draahthar.

Points and tracks on scent.

37. Wilderness Spirit

Wilderness Spirit Guide Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    9989688C-2971-434D-B6A4-6DBDF9467EDB.jpeg 33A589D7-9BF2-4B42-8799-C7B7BBCD0537.jpeg I bird hunt with two English Setters.

38. mogwai

mogwai Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Some fellers run Airedale’s with their hounds as fight dogs

39. dachswalker

dachswalker Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I use long haired dachshunds to hunt rabbits and anything else they may encounter on the ground. Lots of fun. Sometimes I run a beagle by itself or with one or two dachs. Never know what is going to happen.

40. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have heard they were used to hunt game like fox and rabbits as well as birds in Germany and have been used for predates like coyote and cats but never understood how they were tranned if it was like hounds

41. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice plot?

42. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Do you happen to know of anyone breeding melinois x seems like they add a lot to a x

43. Mikem

Mikem Scout

Blog Posts:
    They were bred for finding game to minimize waste, find what was shot, birds, deer, boar, etc, in Germany, 1900. Amazing trackers.

44. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oh OK I was under the impression they were used to flush game to the gun or catch

45. L0NER

Blog Posts:
    I don’t. Most of the Melinois X’s I have seen are crossed with a German Shepard.

46. Pilot

Pilot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful? Where are you getting the Pheasants? Is that PA?

I used to hunt upland game birds with my GSP in PA, and then Colorado.

[​IMG]

47. Wilderness Spirit

Wilderness Spirit Guide Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes , hunting in PA. Carbon and Lehigh county.

Pilot likes this.
  48. RobOz

RobOz Guide

Blog Posts:
    Original Mountain Cur

49. Jonathan Henson

Jonathan Henson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cool coon dog?

50. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Best hunts I ever had was bird hunting with my English Setter for quail and Irish Setter retrieving doves.

Wilderness Spirit likes this.