Any experience with these tents?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Juany118, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Juany118

Juany118 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Okay, I am currently in the market for a 3 person tent. My fiance and I are planning to do some Back packing trips with our Doggo, hence the need for the extra space. I am trying to keep the cost to around $300.00 or less.

Right now my short list consists of the

-Big Agnes C Bar 3

-Sierra Designs Clearwing 3

-the new for 2018 Sierra Designs Meteor 3

Does anyone have any experience with these or other suggestions?

2. Wil

Wil Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have experience with the Sierra's and they make a great tent ,though it's been so long that I can't even remember what ours was called but it was a two person tent. We used it before changing over to a Six Moons tent which was even lighter and pole free and just used your trek poles for the door ways. Thing about back packing, every ounce counts so keep the weight down as much as possible. You also want to think easy to set up because at the end of a long walk and when ready to set up camp, you'll be tired and exhausted. You want a tent you can set up in minutes with no hassle. Think along these lines and you'll be ok with about any tent structured for back packing. To bad you don't live close, the wife and I had to give back packing up and we are sitting on nearly $2000 in top of the line gear, just collecting dust now.

3. Juany118

Juany118 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The weight/budget thing is my biggest headache. I have a great two person trekking pole tent. Just a little over 2 lbs, huge vestibules, easy set up, my go-to even for solo trips. We got our doggo on November and he loves long hikes, awesome temperament, and now the Fiancee wants to bring that 50 lbs Hound mix along backpacking as well so time to add a 4th shelter system to my quiver. I looked at the Tarptent Rainshadow 3 as an example. Only about 20-40 bucks over the $300.00 BUT what might a doggo's claws do to the 30d sil-nylon? So I end up being drawn from a 3 lbs tent to 4-5 lbs tents with higher denier poly. Uggh.

4. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My buddy has a big Agnes C bar 2
    He loves it and has keep him dry in some pretty big thunder storms.

insector, Juany118 and M.Hatfield like this.
  5. Wil

Wil Scout

Blog Posts:
    Problem solved....get the dog some saddle bags and let him carry the tent and his freeze dried dog food.;)

6. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    Juany, you've seen my and @lyco.woodsrunner's 10x10 plow points... even in polyurethane, they weigh 25oz. (Silnylon might be closer to 20 or so.) My ridgeline is 40' of technora and weighs an ounce. I normally tie the peak to a tree with a bungi (another ounce). I have a small tyvek groundcloth (not necessary; can use poncho when really pressed for weight) that weighs 6oz. 5 tentstakes at 5oz completes the work, all for 25+1+1+6+5, or 38oz, under 2.5lbs. Could get to under 2lbs without the groundcloth and bungi.

You can easily fit 2 people under one, with room for a kid and a dog. Might be an issue during bug season (not my favorite time to go anyway.) But the dog wouldn't be tearing up a $300 tent.

7. Juany118

Juany118 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some of the trips will be in bug season, otherwise that would have been my go-to plan, especially since I already have a tarp.

insector and Seeker like this.
  8. Juany118

Juany118 Scout

Blog Posts:
    20190604_175820.jpg
    He already has a pack. He is humping in his own food and bowls lol.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Outdoor Dauber, insector and Wil like this.
  9. TrailbreakerOutdoors

TrailbreakerOutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any experience with THOSE tents, but I have been using a Nemo Equipment Galaxi 2P Tent for a few years now and I absolutely love it. It is insanely roomy for a 2p tent. Fits me, the missus, our dog and our kit with plenty of room to spare. It also has one of the best pole systems I have ever used. It is also an absolute STEAL for what it is.

https://backpackers.com/outdoor-gear/nemo/tents/galaxi-2p-tent/nemo-galaxi-2p-review/

10. TrailbreakerOutdoors

TrailbreakerOutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oh and I wanted to say, they are warrantied for life. Excellent customer service too, if you need something you will get it

11. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just hang a bug net inside the tarp?

Outdoor Dauber likes this.
  12. Juany118

Juany118 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Where we are snakes (venomous) and other creepy crawlies can be an occasional issue in season. Actually dodged a copperhead today on the trail and rattlesnakes aren't unheard of.

13. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yikes! Would suggest an MSR Thru Hiker (or a knock off) but not sure how it would hold up to a dog.

14. Juany118

Juany118 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah right? You would think PA would be such a place... but Copperheads and Timber Rattlers are to be watched for. First real hike with the pup today (hes a little over a year old) and every time he was sniff at a stump hole or rotted dead fall I was calling "Benji Leave it!"