Any guitar players in the house?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by SouthernJourneyman, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:38 AM.

1. SouthernJourneyman

SouthernJourneyman Bushwalker Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    So I've been playing bass off and on for about 20 years or so. I'm ok with it for the most part, never got around to learning some of the fancy stuff. I've always wanted to learn to play an acoustic guitar though and couple weeks back finally went out and bought one.
    It's been a bit challenging, definitely a different learning curve compared to the bass and tougher on the fingers. But I really enjoy it. The bass I've mostly stuck with to help out playing in church and that's about it. My acoustic I actually look forward to getting home from work everyday and playing the little bit that I know so far, which isn't much at this point. Working my way through the lessons over at Justin's guitar, great resource for those looking to learn imho.
    Anyway, just wanted to share and see who else out there plays and maybe see about some good folk songs I could learn once I get a little better.

Here's mine. It's Mitchell, solid mahogany top, mahogany back and sides.
    [​IMG]Just starting by Israel West, on Flickr

2. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wish I know how to play sadly I don't:oops:. Prov 27:17

3. Portage_Monster

Portage_Monster Experiencing Wanderlust Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I play a little. I learned on a six string at first, but then got into the bass because I associated with guitar players and no one played bass. I got to be alright playing in bands that mostly played either country music or Hendrix/Zeppelin stuff. When everyone got older and got jobs the bands dried up and I put more effort into playing six string. You can only play so much bass by yourself before you just go mad. I've got a small arsenal of guitars but these days I mostly bang on my old Guild acoustic to entertain myself. I should probably get back into playing open mics - it pushes you and I've found that having goals is huge as a player.
    17587482_1513688035373358_6692634382424866816_n(1).jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 11:14 AM
  4. davycrocket

davycrocket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I play a few different instruments, guitar being my first love, but Celtic harp is my favorite.

Attached Files:

5. TheDudeAbides88

TheDudeAbides88 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I’ve been playing guitar for about 15 years. I started out playing bass, but found the guitar to be more fun for me. Also, I think Guitar was easier for me to learn, but I’m sure that’s not typical. I don’t play any folk music, as I mostly play blues, funk, classic rock, and that’s mostly it. One thing I would suggest is to use a metronome, and take things slow. Right hand technique is very important, and if you are playing folk, I would work on fingerstyle technique. JustinGuitar is a great resource. I’d also recommend checking out Marty Music and Steve Stine. Good luck, man!

6. beestokk

beestokk Scout

Blog Posts:
    I play, been playing since middle-school. I don't play nearly as much as I used to unfortunately (add it to the list of things that I don't do as much of....adulting, ugh.). To help get me playing more last year I picked up a small travel guitar to just keep up in the living room to take up less space but have there to play more on a whim. My advice to you would be if you can just learn the chord progressions of some of the songs you like and play them enough to just enjoy the song, that's the way to go vs. getting too hung up on playing a song note for note with the technique etc. on the recording - you can get to that eventually if you want. Otherwise, perfectly fine to just play it on a more basic level to just enjoy it and even make it your own a little. I recommend picking up a "fake" book (basically for quick and dirty covers) of whatever genre you like - that will give you the chord progressions and lyrics without bogging you down with all the tablature and coming off as too intimidating - something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Folksong-Fake-Book-Books/dp/0634012703

Good luck!!

7. beestokk

beestokk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking guitar btw, love that dark color!

8. SouthernJourneyman

Blog Posts:
    I'll have to check out the other two. Blues is another genre I want to get into playing. Talking to some folks at work, found out a coworker is an old bluesman but haven't had a chance to talk to him yet. If nothing else once I get good enough I may have to take a trip up into the delta and find a porch to hang out on.

Paul Caruso, Yohawk, Haggis and 5 others like this.
  9. Brook Trout

Brook Trout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I play a Fender 12-string, off and on (F-80-12). Also have a mandolin and a banjo. I don't play nearly as frequently as I would like to, but it's definitely a life-long part of me. Mostly play folk and country. Good luck with your hobby--stick with it, it pays dividends!

10. Doubles

Doubles Guide

Blog Posts:
    That mahogany will be nice for strumming, a smooth, somewhat dark sound (not bright). Depending on how much you play, keep new-ish strings on it to bring out the fullness of the sound.

jasam, Paul Caruso, Yohawk and 6 others like this.
  11. Lazarusaurus

Lazarusaurus Idot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to play a bit. Unfortunately lost all my guitars and my mandolin in the fire. Dunno if I'll pick it up again at this point.

Paul Caruso, Yohawk, Haggis and 5 others like this.
  12. Luafcm

Luafcm Scout

Blog Posts:
    All I own is guitar gear and outdoors equipment! :dblthumb:
    20190308_082221.jpg

Nothing but heavy metal for 25years now. Never owned an acoustic (not a very subtle player!) :14:

13. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I play a mean air guitar. It’s a Fender, or a Gibson, or a Martin, or a Taylor depending on genre of music.

I can’t play music. Sing a little, but even that’s bad.

14. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don't play the guitar, but I've made a couple bass guitars out of water jugs. I really want a hurdy gurdy. I play a wooden flute and a little harmonica. If I had the money I would still play the euphonium. I like brass instruments

15. travis.winegar

travis.winegar Nearly a Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've played guitar and bass most of my life, though I often feel like I stopped learning it when I was 16. At any rate, I have pared life down to a Boulder Creek orchestra model that I absolutely love. Here's my little one jammin' on it...

13423712_876737056207_1766811925261464569_n.jpg

16. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here was my prized possession for the longest time, until I sold her. Lucille, the B B King original.

91C84326-9EB1-4040-9B1E-AA7DC2AE7D54.jpeg

Not a scratch on her. And she played beautifully. I sold her after she sat in the case for 8 years straight and we had our daughter. Money was tight and I saw it as an opportunity to provide for my family. So, I did.

Red Wing, Robert Y, Luafcm and 14 others like this.
  17. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a keyboard guy, that owns guitars. In the early 90's I was good enough on guitar that they would pay me in performing bands, but in recent years there's always been enough guitar guys around, I stick to keyboards. I have three Les Pauls, a fairly nice Takamine acoustic, and a few oddballs.

To anyone learning, I would recommend seeking out a jam, or an open mic, it's a good way to learn. An open mic will get you in front of people, but a jam is nice because (usually) everybody can learn something from the guy standing next to you. I ran a weekly jam for 6 years, it was amazing to see two guitar guys, a graybeard and the peachfuzz kid, both learning from each other. The young pup was an extreme case, he was very good, but the contrast was pretty funny.

EDIT: If you are serious, lessons can be good. It's easy to pick up bad habits just from watching other guys. There are wonderful guitar players with bad habits, but it makes it harder to learn. It's easier in the long run, to learn it right.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 5:02 PM
  18. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I ain't saying nothing, but that's how I met my wife 38 years ago. I was in a band. Guitar was a great way to meet women and get free beer, plus some cash. joe

19. SouthernJourneyman

Blog Posts:
    Lot of good pointers and advice, thanks everyone. And loving the pics of all these instruments, especially Lucille. Sure wish I could've seen B.B. King perform before he passed.

20. Brook Trout

Blog Posts:
    My brother actually got to hang out with B.B. King on his bus for quite awhile some years back. I was always kinda jealous of that...:(

21. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg F
    Been playing for 56 years. Some years I played more than others. Started with guitar/harmonica. Did A lot of BobDylan

22. chndlr04

chndlr04 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Im with you, i am tone deaf as i am deaf but i can keep rhythm on my air drums but theres only one tom.

Dad always hoped that merle haggards talent would touch our branch of the family tree but nope it stayed on his side of the tree

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:26 PM
  23. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir, for around 40 yrs now, as well as several other instruments.

24. Daveboone

Daveboone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had allways wanted to learn guitar, but when in elementary school, the Nazi music teacher scared me away. Many years later, I picked one up at a garage sale, and was practicing consistently, but worked in a machine shop. My fingers were constantly being chopped up, and I couldn't play.
    thirty years go by, and I went to a "learn to fiddle" session at the NYS Old Time Fiddlers hall of fame. Hey, only four strings, and using the bow compensated for the messed fingers, somewhat. I stink, but have fun with it. I still have my Gibson Epiphone, and have been thinking a lot about trying that again. It seems there are a lot more recourses for beginning guitarists than fiddlers, and the learning curve isn't so steep. I don't aspire to much, just a few cords and singing poorly along to Johnny Cash, mostly.

25. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Friction Fire Addict

Blog Posts:
    classical violonist here.

droped out of practice for years, than recently dusted it off to learn a few irish fiddle tunes. im having a blast!

tried a guitar once or twice, but my brain is wired for violin... i dont have the time and the will to "rewire".

26. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Friction Fire Addict

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb::dblthumb:;)

27. Yohawk

Yohawk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep, long time player here.....still play in a band a couple of times a month. We play both kinds of music, Country and Western.
    My collection of guitars and amps is a little over the top. I used to repair guitars at a local music store when I was in school and found a lot of decent instruments at good prices. The collection is being whittled down bit by bit and used to fund other interests!
    786B41DB-FF98-49D6-AE33-5E48FF4B9587.jpeg

28. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You’re related to Merle? Wow!

29. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have few flattops and resonators not in this photo... The tri cone Republic not in the photo almost plays its self.

19157C43-868A-49EB-A682-7FBC56B73D73.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 9:03 AM
    Red Wing, Robert Y, Luafcm and 16 others like this.
  30. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Haggis Always good to see a Rick in the stable!

31. chndlr04

chndlr04 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Second uncle. Family on my dad's side is so fractured. Surely he didnt know the second generation, my brother, sisters and cousins

32. Otterstop

Otterstop Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ve been teaching myself to play for around two years now. I still haven’t learned to play an actual song yet but I’ve made a bunch of progress so far. Problem is practice time I think. I just don’t play enough- wish I’d started when I was younger because I really enjoy playing. I’ve gotten to the point where my family likes it when I play. I’m finding it tough to sing and play at the same time but I am enjoying myself overall.

33. Portage_Monster

Blog Posts:
    Is that a J-160e I see there? That always seemed like a very fun guitar.

34. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Gretsch and Rickenbacher,,, in the ‘70’s I pretty much thought they were the ONLY real guitars,,,,

GoodPhotos, marbleman, jasam and 4 others like this.
  35. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:

EJ-160e, John Lennon Signature,,, Herself bought for me for my birthday some years ago. I only play it with five strings,,, all banjo chords,,, Open-G tuning.

Channeling Keith Richards; “5 strings, 3 chords, 2 fingers, 1 a_sh_le”...

I’ve done acoustic sets with it many times. It allows me to play simple leads whilst also playing rhythm,,,

Here’s one of my own tunes, played on the 5-string,,, recorded at Rich Mattson’s “Sparta Sound”, a few years back...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 7:53 PM
  36. Portage_Monster

Blog Posts:
    I thought so. Good lookin flat top. Five string open G tuning is so much fun - gotta get my Keef on some tunes.
    That’s a good tune! An original?

37. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Thank you,,, Yes,,, from an album I recorded, of the same name...

Morrow7x, Red Wing, jasam and 4 others like this.
  38. Portage_Monster

Blog Posts:
    I’d like to give that a listen. I keep saying that one of these days I need to assemble some musicians and record some originals.

Yohawk, NevadaBlue, jasam and 4 others like this.
  39. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Banjo player. It has string right?

40. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah but I quit about 10 years ago. Only finger picking, though.

41. Brook Trout

Blog Posts:
    Nice tune, Haggis! I, too, would love to hear the whole album. Any way for a fella to order a copy?

42. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I only play for my number one fan, me. I find playing really helps with my memory. I'm much sharper when I play. I just love my SG I have a hard time putting it down, it feels absolutely perfect in my hands. I also love to sing, it has gotten much easier since my tonsils were removed in January.

IMG_0708.JPG

Red Wing, Luafcm, RavenLoon and 8 others like this.
  43. Brook Trout

Blog Posts:
    If you ever get around to it PM and find yourself in need of a semi-half-@ssed rhythm guitar player, give me a shout. My going rate is 1.5 Guinness/hr.

44. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    PM me an address, and I’ll send one. They make great coasters too...

I did about 7 or 8 albums wth my band,,, mostly cover tunes,,, Then an album of originals, then a solo acoustic album,,, Then I got old...

45. NaptownLarry

NaptownLarry Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    30+ years playing here. Get the action of your guitar professionally set up by a good luthier with the string brand and gauge that you prefer, (fret level, nut and bridge filed if necessary, and truss rod adjusted), and it'll make it a lot more enjoyable to play.

Yohawk, marbleman, HP500 and 5 others like this.
  46. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What a neat thread.

Can someone tell me if a piezo pickup will drive an amplified speaker like you would plug into a computer? If it will, I can have an amplified diddley bow and be a real guitarist. :4:

47. Portage_Monster

Blog Posts:
    I think there’s something to that. I feel a lot better when I make time for 20 minutes or so every day to just play.
    I can’t say I’m in love with the look of an SG, but they play sooo so nice. I’ve never met one I wanted to put down.

48. Portage_Monster

Blog Posts:
    You might need a preamp in-line there depending on the pickup and the speakers.

49. La\\//inci

La\\//inci Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well I can say I play guitar

Moreover I was a bass player like your self.
    My best advice ... watch your fretting hand. The amount of pressure needed to fret a guitar string is dramatically different than a bass.

Music opened up when I started learning guitar

All self taught too

Enjoy the journey my friend

Red Wing, GoodPhotos, Yohawk and 6 others like this.
  50. Portage_Monster

Blog Posts:
    I always liked this video. This is a band I was in years ago and one day when we were learning Dazed and Confused by Zeppelin I set out a camera to see what I could catch. I ran out of battery before we got it polished, but I think it’s almost more fun to see us work it out.

I’m on bass this time.

Red Wing, Luafcm, RavenLoon and 3 others like this.