Any of you in Hawaii, what was it like this morning?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by kairo, Jan 13, 2018 at 3:27 PM.

1. kairo

kairo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    At 8:08 am this morning, Hawaiian time, an alert went out that a ballistic missile was inbound, not a drill.

Turned out to be human error (somebody's getting super ultra mega fired).

What was the situation like out there? Did people seem to have themselves together, or was it a panicky free-for-all?

J. Pierce, isme, GGTBod and 3 others like this.
  2. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They will let you know in 50 years when the vault unlocks.

3. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I watched a brief news report where the Governor David Ige of HI was interviewed and the head of their Emergency Management Agency Vern Miyagi at his side, saying that it was his fault that the error occurred. I admire his stepping forward and taking responsibility for his agency. I truly wish that level of responsibility would sweep over the entire country, starting with Washington D.C.!

(Edited to add names)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 9:22 PM
  4. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I wish the same from uk govt especially in regards to international policy, but you know we both either very drunk, dreaming or high as kite to believe that is gonna happen, i'm not talking normal off our boxes here i mean that special kind where just before sleep you are promising yourself all the things you are going to fix in your life when you wake up and in those thoughts was political responsibility sweeping the world, racism dissolved and the lion and the gazelle sharing a watering hole :D then you blacked out :D

Jayson, Scoman, J. Pierce and 5 others like this.
  5. Medius

Medius Scout

Blog Posts:
    Woke up to probably the most effective morning alarm I’ve ever had, and from there realized “seek shelter” is a hilarious term when it’s from an inbound ICBM and no one on the island has a basement! That and the fact that even if there was a magic shelter, you have seconds maybe minutes to reach it (meaning I won’t) and the moment that alert went out the phone towers jammed up, state emergency website went down, and every good road on island shut down with gridlock traffic. Shelter in place rapidly became best option, and from there it was a matter of hoping it hit on the other side of the mountain to give us a bit of cover. From there me, the gf, and my roommate picked the least windowy place in the house and had a beer (figured at a certain point you could only prepare so much and might as well go out enjoying yourself).

We all do (or should) keep emergency supplies on hand, but today I realized in an instance like this because of my job I’ll probablt be called in and have to leave most of my supplies (my landlords would score big time!). Even my “go bag” wasn’t set up for anything like this so there was some rapid looting of my woods bag, other kits, misc gear boxes, etc. to compile a bag of food, water, lights, batteries, etc. in case we ended up having to leave later on. Made me feel really unprepared for how prepared I try to be.

Overall, good lessons learned. Anticipate most likely threats/disasters and have your stuff set up accordingly. Realize that if you were to leave/bug out it will be in terrible conditions and people panicking is potentially more dangerous than the actual disaster. If disaster comes it may come FAST and without warning so be ready to literally roll out of bed, throw on the nearest pants, and get moving with a fire under your butt. And at the end of the day, recognize when to sit back down, quit worrying/fiddling, and have a beer :)

6. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It's a hard reality to swallow that if an attack like this occurred in a heavily populated area nobody is getting out, roads blocked, phones all blocked, we are stuck where you are when it happens with two minutes warning at worst with whatever you have at hand at the time, i guess if it was really heavy threat where i am we are surrounded by closed mine shafts, several now tourist attractions you can go into underground, i could sharp bust the door in on the nearest one of those which is about 2 mile away, grasping at straws here on thoughts of other better actions to take, glad it was a false alarm

7. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ay, no need get mento, brah. We figa da bugga no was reo -- prolly jus some pink haole okole-head wen make one kuhi. Pump doze brakes an have some poke. If da presen from Mista Kim Chi stay reo, watevas ... we go bumbai.

Da onee misso comin in today is da XXL swell from da DMZ.

011118-jawsmavsPB.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 7:29 PM
  8. gasmandave

gasmandave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    :33:

9. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Jarjar Binks moved to Hawaii, me thinks :4:

gila_dog, Wasp and Winterhorse like this.
  10. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pidgin

kelpie13 and Winterhorse like this.
  11. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    (I grew up in Hawaii.)

Faiaoga and kelpie13 like this.
  12. Faiaoga

Faiaoga Guide

Blog Posts:
    While I do not live in Hawaii, an article in The Samoa Observer (Apia) today indicates that some freeway drivers abandoned cars and ran into a tunnel.
    At least Hawaii has a lot of experience with typhoons and tsunamis and earthquakes. They seem to have a sense of community and help one another.
    Samoa Observer www.samoaobserver.ws:)
    See article in World news

Fat Old Man likes this.
  13. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was curious about this as well. Not really a place for them to run to, they live on a volcano which doesn't help, no way to evacuate.

14. Mikewood

Mikewood Guide

Blog Posts:
    So there is this guy. He has a desk with three buttons. One is a small black button that says test. Another says all clear and One is a large red button in a sealed plastic housing that says inbound missile. No t a drill. How stupid do you have to be? Then he thinks. Oh crap! But he still waits 37 minutes to press the all clear button?

Or someone wanted to see what people would really do if they had a “real” test. We use to do this at chem plants. The gas alarm goes off and you stop what your doing and shelter. Problem here is folks will not do as instructed next time.

TrespassersWilliam likes this.
  15. EternalLove

EternalLove Scout

Blog Posts:
    I guess that "Aloha spirit" goes out the window and runs for an underpass when the sirens go off.

16. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The tinfoil hat society asks, What if....it was real and our defense shot it down???

CharClothed likes this.
  17. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't suppose it's a big consolation but if an ICBM was headed towards HI it would almost certainly be coming from DPRK. If so, bear in mind that their nuke program is not very competent. The missile may be highly inaccurate and when it does hit it may or may not actually work. Yeah, not a lot of hang your hat on but it's something.

18. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Online news (laugh... I know) said that "wrong button" was a figure of speech. There are no buttons. It was a computer with a drop down menu and the wrong option was chosen.
    Here is what the employee saw
    sub-buzz-19610-1516153186-2.jpg
    PACOM was selected instead of DRILL-PACOM.

funkja likes this.
  19. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wish that could reassure me but with the current US leadership, I'd bet our own missiles would be in the air before the Korean dud landed. (Assuming we couldn't shoot down the Korean nuke.) With US nukes heading west across the Pacific, I wonder if China would take action on behalf of its ally. They would be understandably upset with nukes going off just past their border. Korea attacking Hawaii could easily turn into the last day of humanity...
    Smoke and prayers that N. Korea, China and American leadership avoid such a scenario.

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  20. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Even if someone selected the wrong menu item -- (btw, why wasn't the live version colored ... oh, I don't know ... red?) -- the story makes no sense.

My computer pesters me to death when I simply want to delete a file.

HeadyBrew likes this.
  21. MartyJ

MartyJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like and appreciate the honesty of your post. What can you do? It reminds me of a motar attack or two I have suffered though in the distant past. You sit in your foxhole and hope the motar does not fall in your hole. A very helpless feeling. I am curious if you have a new ready bag prepared and what you may have it it now?