Any outdoorsy places, Destin Fl

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Poeschel, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Poeschel

Poeschel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    the family and I are in destin Florida for the week and I was wondering if there are any places I should check out. Bass Pro is obvious and I have gift cards. Anything else? Thanks.

Tangotag likes this.
  2. jkrevette

jkrevette Corn Beater

Blog Posts:
    If you have a day to spare, you could check out Blackwater River in Milton. It would take about an hour to get to Blackwater Canoe Rental on hwy 90 from Destin and you and the family could spend the whole day tubing the river. I grew up in Navarre, about halfway between Destin and Pensacola and we'd usually go to Blackwater 3 or 4 times every summer. Also, Vortex Springs in Ponce De Leon is about an hour away. That was always my favorite youth group summer day trip destination growing up. Super cold, crystal clear water with a zipline, trapeze, diving board, two diving platforms, and canoe rentals. I would highly recommend either. Have a fun trip man! And if y'all are in the area on Sunday and looking for a place to go to church, Live Oak Church in Navarre is biblically solid and has a very casual dress code. When I'm home for a weekend I'm there in shorts and flip flops on Sunday morning. :dblthumb:

blind & lost and plinker22 like this.
  3. Poeschel

Poeschel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate it and will check both places out, thanks!

jkrevette likes this.
  4. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Helen Back has some nice wild life after hours and decent hand tossed pie.;) McGuire's Irish Pub is a decent family friendly spot with good food that I try to get to each time I'm down there. The Shepard's Pie with a house brew is always on my list of to-do's.

Actually, I've fished a bit for Reds in the Choctawhatchee Bay between Destin, Niceville and Fort Walton Beach. Not much luck heading down toward the Gulf from Milton's launch site. Most of my outdoor activity down there has been on the water.

This pic is looking directly toward Destin on the horizon from the Niceville side of the bay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes just doing nothing is great too.
    [​IMG]

jkrevette likes this.
  5. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Couple hours from the suwanni river. Plenty of forests up near Marianna. Hundreds of thousands of acres along i-10

jkrevette likes this.
  6. SemperFiHunter

SemperFiHunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    There is a little (State?) Park you pass just north of Destin that has some hiking trails, etc.

Nothing big or fancy. Just 5 minutes away.

I wanted to take the family hiking there but we never got off the beach except to go out for dinner.

SFH

jkrevette likes this.